Author Topic: Wii remote - grip or no grip?  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Mysticspike

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
Wii remote - grip or no grip?
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
I know this is kind of random, but I was thinking the other day about the Wii remote grip that now come with the Wiimote. I got 2 Wiimotes before the grip was around yet and recently I got 2 with the grips so now I have 4 - 2 with grips and 2 without them so it's kind of wierd. But I want to know what purpose are they really serving? To me, they are somewhat ugly and make the Wiimote a bit wierd looking. They are just wierd in general. I don't get them.
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
Re: Wii remote - grip or no grip?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »
No grip for me. The raw sensation of Wiimote on fleshy palm makes my gaming more visceral ;). Plus, I've never come close to a dropping / throwing incident.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 11:04:24 PM by NovaQ »
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:16:32 PM »
I prefer to play my Wii sans-protection. I don't use the jacket (must...resist...using...other...name...) or the strap. The strap interferes with VC games or Wario Land and Fire Emblem where you hold it on it's side. I also switch out batteries or place them in Guitar Hero instruments quite often so they are just a pain. Though I do make others use the straps if we are playing Wii Sports or Boom Blox. If I know people are coming over I'll use the protective...jackets and the straps if I expect a lot of Wii play from WS or BB if there will be debilitating drinks present. I can't afford a new TV at present.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:44:11 PM »
I bought the GameStop battery cover grips years ago for added grip.  They're better than Nyko's battery grips in that they don't bulge out of the controller and take up extra room.  As such, the GameStop grips don't interfere with any Zapper type shells and the Remote fits perfectly as a naked Remote should.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
the grips seem too bulky to me.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 01:17:40 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
I prefer my Wiimotes as naked as the day they were manufactured.

I like my gaming sinful.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
It makes me wonder if the Wii2 will have bulky grips built in.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
I love my grips. Since I bought my Wii on Day Uno, I didn't get grips. But I got free grips by asking for them on Nintendo's website, and I'll never look back. They're very comfortable and ergonomically designed.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
The jackets are hideous, though after playing Wii Bowling at Best Buy with one on, it did feel very comfortable. For anything else, it would be annoying. My Wiimotes have Nyko chargers/grips on them, which I used to have to take off for the Wii Zapper...then I got the much-superior Nyko Perfect Shot, and they fit fine in there.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:16 PM »
Is the Perfect Shot pretty awesome for rail gun games? 'Cause I have a lot of those.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »
Functionally, what do you want out of using a plastic gun shell?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 06:55:30 PM »
The first thing I did when I bought the Wii was tear off the Wiimote jackets and burn them. Not only are they ugly, they are uncomfortable and just feel very... wrong... to hold.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
I hope you were careful about those fumes...
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »
Is the Perfect Shot pretty awesome for rail gun games? 'Cause I have a lot of those.

I found it absolutely worthless on HotD 2 & 3.  It made my aim less accurate, rate of fire slower and finger fatigue faster.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »

I found it absolutely worthless on HotD 2 & 3.  It made my aim less accurate, rate of fire slower and finger fatigue faster.

I wish Halbred would respond so we can discuss pros/cons in greater focused detail.

"rate of fire slower and finger fatigue faster."
This is the case will all B-trigger extension gun shells.

"It made my aim less accurate"
This should involve a frame of reference:  is it being used as "gimmick" controller with the Crosshair still active?  or is the Crosshair disabled and is he using authento-arcado line-of-site?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:17:10 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
I'd like something that realisticly mimics the old arcade light gun feel, but still offers aiming accuracy.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
Today I got an I-CON (by ASD, distributor in Canada) gun shell, which looks very much like the Nyko Perfect Shot by the way.
I got it because I just started playing HotD Overkill, and I don't like the Wii Zapper for games that use the B button as the main trigger.
The biggest complaint I've read is that the trigger is a bit heavy... man up bitches. Yeah it does feel a bit heavy, but I think it is possible to open it up and tinker with it to loosen it a bit more. I ave yet to try and open it up, so don't take my word for granted.
I played through the first level of HotD Overkill and it was a thrill to use the gun shell. I used the game reticle. I will try to play it without just to see how well it would work with my current gaming setup.

Here's a photo of the badass motherfuckin' I-CON gun shell:

A photo with more light.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:50:23 PM by Caliban »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
I think the Perfect Shot is great. I play all Wii light-gun/rails games w/o reticules, and have no problems with aim/firing.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
I use the grip because it's much more comfortable.  I have no worries of throwing it or anything, I just use it because it feels better.  I don't, however, use the wrist straps.  If a bunch of kids were playing my Wii, that would be another story.

As far as the Perfect Shot goes, I really like it.  I really think it's only useful in games where you can turn your cursor off.  But it makes those games so much more fun.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
I have a couple.  Bought them a couple months ago to see how well they worked/differed.

The blue one is the Smart Gun Pro V2 by HVG2 (exclusive to Fry's stores?) and the plain white is the pistol portion of the "Combined 2-in-1 Light Gun" by UNNAMED CHINESE FACTORY found all over eBay and other gaming import stores.  The short distance between the trigger curve and the rear curve is about 2-3/4" on the Smart Gun Pro V2 and 2" on the Combined 2-in-1.  You have to pull the Smart Gun trigger 1/8" before the B-Trigger on the Remote will register, while the Combined 2-in-1 requires a 1/4" pull.

Both shells can neatly hide Remote wrist straps.  And if you're graceful, you can hide Nunchuk plugs without taking off the wrist strap.

Both include notches for the Nunchuk cord to pass through.

Lastly, bumpy-sights are on the shells.  The wide "U" notch on the Smart Gun is easier and more comfortable to look thru, but the narrower notch on the 2-in-1 helps minimize deviations when visually aiming.

The gist:  mileage and comfort will vary with these from person to person.  The presence of complete sights and designs allowing the wrist strap to be hidden are what attracted me.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
Caliban, how do you reload when you're playing Overkill? The A button doesn't seem to be in reach when you use the gun.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:15 PM »
Aim off the screen, as with all of Sega's Wii light gun games.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Yeah what Pro said. It's just like in the arcade.
It can also reload automatically if you press the trigger again once the clip is empty.

I got the pack (shown below) for $20 at my local EB Games. It would be even better if you can find the gun shell on its own, and obviously at a cheaper price.

Fishing rod (trash), pool cue (trash), Wii remote strap (it's ok I guess, but the string is thick and it can be a bit difficult to attach it to the remote), Wii remote/Nunchuk skin (trash), gun shell (reasonable for the piece of plastic that it is).

That's where you plug the Nunchuk if you have to.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 06:09:13 PM by Caliban »

Offline Mysticspike

• View Profile
    • Bim Dizzle
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 10:22:10 PM »
I have to get me one of those. They look pretty cool.
Someday, I will make my own Fantasy Factory to make all of my lifelong dreams come true...

Banana Productions<- Check out my Youtube channel.