Author Topic: So Steam Machine still a real thing?  (Read 13293 times)

So Steam Machine still a real thing?
« on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:17 PM »
I was trying to find news on this today while at work, pretty bored with all the State of the State **** and that stupid football story, anyways I was noticing that apparently something big is supposed to happen at GDC coming soon?

Anyone remotely interested in this stuff at all, still, ever?
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: So Steam Machine still a real thing?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
I don't know, but it still is in development from what I know. They never cancelled. The controller supposedly ran into some trouble in development though.

I still don't understand what Steam Machine. Isn't it supposed to be Valve's OS or something?
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:25:51 PM »
If it means more games for Steam on Linux, I'm all for it.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
And if it means more Steam games for Linux it'll likely also mean more Steam games for Mac, so I'm definitely onboard as well.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »
And if it means more Steam games for Linux it'll likely also mean more Steam games for Mac, so I'm definitely onboard as well.

Ditto.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:15 PM »
Insanlord you being  a Nintendo supporter makes sense now, you like to root for the underdog don't you? I am only hopeful for Steam Machine because I want a dedicated gaming computer that looks and runs like a console but is powerful enough to play the major PC games without having to have all the extra BS Windows forces on you. Plus they remind me of Amiga in a weird way and I am all for that.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:56 PM »
I never got why people loved the Amiga so much.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
at the time, it was different that was why I liked it. But I never had one I only had Commodore 64 and 128, I wanted an Amiga but never got one.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 11:56:39 AM »
Build your own? Linux is free, and you can just install Steam like you would on a Win/Mac system. That's what I did, and running it on Xubuntu. My system: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Caliban/saved/pRbwrH

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »
Interesting tool.  My Computer cost $1,335 when it was built in August 2012.  Now its worth ~$800 if you built the same machine today.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »
I'm still interested in one and will continue to Humble Bundle my way to a library of games - just not interested in paying $1000 for the hardware.  When I can get Steam on the living room TV with a dedicated box for under $300, sign me up.
NNID: ejamer

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 02:18:15 AM »
Build your own? Linux is free, and you can just install Steam like you would on a Win/Mac system. That's what I did, and running it on Xubuntu. My system: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Caliban/saved/pRbwrH

You missed the point, build your own PC gaming is not the same as a dedicated console. The appeal of Steam machine is not just the OS or the software its getting a dedicated gaming rig built into a console without the hassle of building your own and installing a shitty port of Linux.

Steam machine was supposed to be a gaming PC in a box, just plug n play PC gaming made simple. There is a reason I don't PC game much, its a nightmare and Steam OS was supposed to fix that. But its not just the OS its also the hardware.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 07:12:04 AM »

You missed the point, build your own PC gaming is not the same as a dedicated console. The appeal of Steam machine is not just the OS or the software its getting a dedicated gaming rig built into a console without the hassle of building your own and installing a shitty port of Linux.

Steam machine was supposed to be a gaming PC in a box, just plug n play PC gaming made simple. There is a reason I don't PC game much, its a nightmare and Steam OS was supposed to fix that. But its not just the OS its also the hardware.

PC gamers always miss this point.

When it comes to gaming, I want convenience, not power.  I'm ok playing relatively simple games if it's something I can do easily from the comfort of my couch.  Building a gaming PC is a hassle: research would be required to know what to buy, then to find the best locations for purchasing parts, then finding time to assemble, then hoping that it works for the games I want to play.

Yes, that could be done. No, I'm not keen enough to spend the effort/time required. Wasn't that the whole point of the Steam Machine concept: to get rid of any barriers to entry?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
No PC Gamers get it fine.

If you want to PC Game you either do the leg work or pay the premium for a pre-built box.
If you just want to game then you buy a Console or Handheld.

It's much like anything else.  If you want to remodel you bathroom you either do the research or pay the premium to have someone who knows how to do it.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:40 AM »
so what is the Steam Machine then a portapotty for the living room in your scenario? You are wrong the whole point of Steam Machine is to offer PC GAMES on a CONSOLE type device period. That is the selling point that is what make is different than what we already have. News flash, there are thousands of games on PC not available on consoles so some people want access to those games but not the hassle that accompanies buying them. That bathroom analogy is stupid it doesn't apply here. You were talking about remodeling a bathroom most people don't even do that you buy a house it comes with a bathroom or you don't buy that house.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
No PC Gamers get it fine.

If you want to PC Game you either do the leg work or pay the premium for a pre-built box.
If you just want to game then you buy a Console or Handheld.

It's much like anything else.  If you want to remodel you bathroom you either do the research or pay the premium to have someone who knows how to do it.

Ok, so where are the Steam Machines then?  Are they still coming out, or has there been any progress with that initiative?  Maybe they are already out and I just missed the announcement?

Paying a premium makes sense for some people. I'm hoping Steam Machines offer some form of entry level system that will only play less demanding games, because that's all I'm interested in anyway. But the real question ("So Steam Machine still a real thing?") isn't changed by my cheapness.

I am just curious if there have been release dates or official announcements or even any unofficial progress with the whole idea. It seemed like a few PCs self-branded themselves as Steam Machines a year or two ago, but the concept wasn't fully baked at that time and since then I've heard absolutely nothing about the idea. Is this going to take off, and we'll have annual Steam Machine updates and Smart TVs with built in Steam Machines? Or is it vaporware that will just fade out of the public consciousness?

Nothing recent has given me confidence that this is really going to happen - maybe there will always be that divide between PC gaming and convenience and I'll either have to give up or bite the bullet and buy in.  I'm hoping that by E3 this year we'll have some kind of meaningful news...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 09:56:34 AM by ejamer »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
A Steam Machine will exist to ease the introduction of PCs used with a TV to people that have only dealt with consoles, but it won't be that easy in the long run. You will have varying degrees of systems at your choice depending on how much money you want to spend, and ultimately you're still going to have to do research which system you're going to get. There are as of this time no minimum specs for a Steam machine aside from being able to run Steam OS, nor is there any assured quality when it comes to the components used on a pre-built Steam Machine. Further down the line you can upgrade some of the internals, yet once again you're going to have to do some research. Besides not all games are available for Steam OS/Linux. If you want to get a Steam Machine then be aware that it is a system for you to introduce yourself to PC gaming along with all its responsibilities.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 10:57:48 AM »
The answer is yes and no.

There are essentially steam boxes out there,Alienware offering but, they are not running Steam OS and instead are using Steam in Big Picture Mode.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
not trying to be confrontational about it. What appeals to me about Steam Machine is it is a half way point, its more advanced than console gaming but not as advanced as real PC gaming. Specs might vary but the whole point was games were supposed to be scalable or at least that was how I understood it. If its just a PC in a box then there literally is no point to it at all. We already have PC in a box that is literally what Xbox was meant to be.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 02:17:45 PM »
It's literally a gaming PC, yet it's not as advanced as a gaming PC? The Xbox was not literally meant to be a PC in a box...even though all PCs are typically a PC in a box.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:03 PM »
Um dude whatever Microsoft's original intention was to make a "gaming PC for the living room" this is well documented I even just watched a documentary on Netflix where they discuss this at length. Xbox was intended to be a PC for the living room, it has morphed beyond that intention slightly but not far.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:14 PM »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
I just want more games to run on Linux, but their recent announcements should make some people happy, and I want to see some footage of Source 2.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:09:49 PM by Caliban »

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:24 PM »
I think either that is old or the information is outdated because it says the cut off is October 2014, which has passed, unless I am reading it wrong.

Offline Soren

• View Profile