Author Topic: Best of the Wii: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories  (Read 3707 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Best of the Wii: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »

Have you seen my daughter?  Cheryl!!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/connectivity/31565

As we continue to rattle off what we think are the ten best first and third party games, Neal and Andy take a few minutes to talk about #9 on our third party list, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.  Listen to Andy gush about his favorite psychological thriller title on Wii.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline syn4aptik

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
I really loved this game. The twist at the end totally took me off guard and was moving. It also had some really laid back gameplay mechanics, for the most part.
Dave Mellert
Contributing Editor

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
Both of this week's third party choices have been top notch, guys. This game is absolutely wonderful and very underrated. I think you discussion brings to light a lot of the great things people don't notice about this title, and I think one of the most important things about this game is its replayability- not being entirely honest with the therapist about his questions and seeing how that affects the game is really just as cool as that first, honest playthrough.

Excited to see what else you guys have in store!
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Nintendad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:57:15 PM »
I could not get through this game due to a glitch. There's a certain cutscene that freezes my Wii every single time. I finally gave up. It's not the disc because it plays in my daughter's Wii just fine. She beat it. And I don't even think it's my Wii because after this happened and I gave up, I had to send my Wii to have the disc drive replaced. I then borrowed the game from my daughter again to give it another try. Same result. I still have it and started a new save file but I don't know that I'll play through it again. I like the game but I hate the chase scenes because it's too hard to figure out where you are, and where you need to go.

Offline Dan Laser

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
I stopped listening halfway through because I didn'tt want to get spoiled but it was enough for me to really want to get back into the game! I mainly remember those chase scenes being stressful.

I'm kind of concerned about this glitch now, Nintendad...

I picked up Cursed Mountain a couple weeks ago for cheap - maybe I should play that first though?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 07:26:40 PM »
Someone will be in with more information shortly, but I can say: Play Shattered Memories first. Trust me.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:16 AM »
I don't think I focused too much on it in the podcast, but Cursed Mountain is, in my opinion, a pile of ****. I was originally working on the review for it NWR, but then my computer crashed and my review, which was completed, was lost. I was so frustrated with the game and the review that I just gave the game to another staffer, who then (favorably) reviewed it.

I believe my finished review saddled it with a 4 or a 5. It was a disaster of a survival horror game that had a plot that was terrible. I found more enjoyment from Disaster: Day of Crisis.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
I don't think I focused too much on it in the podcast, but Cursed Mountain is, in my opinion, a pile of ****. I was originally working on the review for it NWR, but then my computer crashed and my review, which was completed, was lost. I was so frustrated with the game and the review that I just gave the game to another staffer, who then (favorably) reviewed it.

I believe my finished review saddled it with a 4 or a 5. It was a disaster of a survival horror game that had a plot that was terrible. I found more enjoyment from Disaster: Day of Crisis.

The character's mobility was a pain in the ass as well. The whole premise of the game was good, but it was poorply executed. Much like Disaster: Day of Crisis, the game could have been so much better, and both had great potential to be good games, but everything about them were poorly executed.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

The character's mobility was a pain in the ass as well. The whole premise of the game was good, but it was poorply executed. Much like Disaster: Day of Crisis, the game could have been so much better, and both had great potential to be good games, but everything about them were poorly executed.
Good grief, you guys are really making me want to play Disaster now. I have GOT to see this game.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 03:29:58 AM »
way to dash my hopes of seeing Cursed Mountain on this list. That game actually had some great mechanics in it hidden in the terrible pressentation. Though it can't compare to any Silent Hill
"Fear of blood tends to create fear of the flesh"