Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 367892 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official NFL Discussion: The Falcons Fought Like Warriors
« Reply #1025 on: January 16, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
My NFL fandom is such that the Seahawks are my team but I also have an anti-fandom of the Patriots.  With the Hawks out of the playoffs my focus is entirely on anyone-but-the-Patriots.  My brother's NFL fandom is exclusively anti-Patriots.  He doesn't have a team to root for, only a team to root against.

So all this year he'll ask me about the standings and who has the best chance to knock the Patriots out of the playoffs.  Philly looked like they had a shot until Wentz went down.  In the AFC we figured the only team with a chance was Pittsburgh but they're now out.  The Rams and Saints seemed like possibilities but they're now gone too.

So it's down to Blake Bortles, Nick Foles and Case Keenum.  None of those seem like they could pull it off.  The Vikings seem like the best chance as Keenum has played well all year (the other two have typically been the shits with odd spells of brilliance).  But is this Case Keenum, the unexpected star quarterback he was this year, or Case Keenum, the unexceptional backup he has been prior to this?  How often does someone go from being a scrub nobody for years to a bonafide NFL starting quarterback of a Superbowl team?  Is he the new Kurt Warner or a just a one season fluke?

If I had to bet I'd say the Pats are winning Superbowl #6 which is rather annoying, particularly since it was mostly the stupidity of their opponents that won them #4 (give it to Lynch!) and #5 (just fucking run the clock out you dumbasses!).  The Vikings looked really good on Sunday but they also could have easily been eliminated if not for a last second miracle.  You don't want to have to rely on miracles to win.

Go Jags and Vikings, I guess.  Sorry Philly, I think Minny has the better chance so that's who I want there.  I will say that I would be perfectly fine with any of the three not-the-Pats teams left winning it all as none of them have won a Superbowl and it would be great for their fans to experience that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1026 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
I don't know how to explain Case Keenum. 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:08:47 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 22, 2018, 07:57:49 PM »
Case Keenum is who we thought he was!  That's a rollercoaster for Vikings fans - going from miracle victory to getting absolutely squashed, all in the span of a week.

So it's Pats and Eagles.  Nick Foles looked really good so I'm not as concerned as I was but he has an inconsistent track record and the Patriots pretty much play as perfectly as humanly possible.  If you don't have your **** together in even the slightest way they'll beat you.

Case in point Blake Bortles who played probably the best game of his life yesterday but couldn't get it done at the end because he needed to be amazing and just couldn't do it.  Like he didn't mess up or play poorly, it's just that in any close playoff game the quarterback needs to occasionally pull off some magic plays and he can't do that.  Tony Romo on commentary kept saying how he needed to come up with a big play and he never did.

Patriots are still the favourite but at least the Eagles looked like killers in the conference game so maybe they can do it?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1028 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
It has been about 9 years since the Eagles have been in the Conference Finals and I am pretty happy they made it to Big Game. I don't have much hope for the Eagles to upset the Pats but I will be rooting for them nonetheless since I have been a fan of them since 2003.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 22, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
Who cares about the Super Bowl, the real NFL news is that the Browns hired an offensive coordinator! Somebody other than Hue Jackson will be calling the plays next year! It's the next best thing to firing a massively incompetent coach.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1030 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:32 PM »
I just looked at the Browns schedule and saw that they lost 6 games by less than a TD.

I know that must have been frustrating in the moment, but that makes the team just a few modest tweaks from. . .not terrible.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 23, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
I just looked at the Browns schedule and saw that they lost 6 games by less than a TD.

I know that must have been frustrating in the moment, but that makes the team just a few modest tweaks from. . .not terrible.

That just means there were 6 games where the other team ALMOST lost to one of the worst teams ever, and they should feel bad.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1032 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »
I think one or two of those teams got taken to OT too.  They should feel worse.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 23, 2018, 08:21:09 PM »
There were two overtime losses, yes. We had a 2 touchdown lead against the Packers in the 4th quarter that we blew and lost in overtime. The team really wasn't as bad as the record makes them seem. With a better coach we might not even have gotten the #1 pick. Hue Jackson chose to pass all the time with a rookie QB and a run game that was near the top of the league in yards per carry despite its relative lack of use.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1034 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:29 PM »
Looks like Eagles are up by 10 at halftime. 22 to 12. I am cautiously optimistic that they will hold on and win.

Also that trick play with Foles to close the 2nd quarter was pretty great. Also made some history with that catch. First player to throw and catch a TD in the same game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 04, 2018, 08:52:21 PM »
I don't know what to think of the Superbowl this year. I'm mean, I'm not really a big football fan in that I don't actually watch football. I just read about it the papers and catch some highlights of games thereby following and rooting for some teams that way. So, I probably shouldn't have that strong of feelings about it but this year really feels like a no-win scenario. On the one hand, I really don't want to see the Patriots and Brady win yet another Superbowl. On the other hand, as a Steelers fan, I really don't like the idea of the Eagles winning a Superbowl either.

This reminds me of the 2010 Blackhawks vs Flyers final. The past two years saw the Penguins make it to the Finals losing the first time but winning the second time thereby denying Hossa a cup which was great but then Hossa made it to another final with the Blackhawks so if he were to lose than the Flyers would have to win. In the end, Hossa and the Hawks did win and maybe it was the lesser of two evils. Guy did make it to 3 cup finals in 3 years so he probably did deserve a victory and it kept the Flyers to 2 cup championships while Penguins stayed ahead with 3. Of course, Hossa ended up winning a couple more championships but that don't matter anymore since the Penguins have had the 2-peat thus equalling the wins and getting further ahead of the Flyers in championships. Heck, I believe the Penguins can 3-peat yet and win it all again this which would be even sweeter.

So, I'm just hoping that in a few years down the road, things work out better for the Steelers and this Superbowl final will have been avenged!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1036 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
End of the 3rd quarter and the Eagles are up by 3. This is going to be a close end of the game I feel.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 04, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
Bye, bye, Brady
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1038 on: February 04, 2018, 10:01:29 PM »
Yay the Eagles got a TD on that last play to go up on the Pats 38 to 33 with 2:21 left in the game.  Just need to make some stops and we can win it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 04, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »
wow. i thought i called it a little prematurely, but then that sack fumble o.0
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1040 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »
Oh yes!! Make the Pats burn their time outs.   Then run the ball. I feel like we could have it.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline King of Twitch

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 04, 2018, 10:11:16 PM »
65 seconds left. and even if they make it across they'll need a 2-pt conversion.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1042 on: February 04, 2018, 10:12:37 PM »
41-33 Eagles with 1:10 left.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1043 on: February 04, 2018, 10:19:17 PM »
EAGLES ARE THE NFL CHAMPIONS!! 41-33
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Official NFL Discussion: OK, Now You Can Count Out Touchdown Tom
« Reply #1044 on: February 04, 2018, 10:53:29 PM »
Fun fact: The last time the Eagles won the NFL championship, my parents weren't born yet.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »
Hell of a game...Eagles were handed two touchdowns that would have been reversed in any other game though. Not to say they wouldn't have scored anyway...but still.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1046 on: February 04, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »
Fun fact: The last time the Eagles won the NFL championship, my parents weren't born yet.
Yeah they won 3 before it was changed to the Super Bowl in 1970. The 3 were 1948,1949 and 1960. This is their first Super Bowl victory. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »
Yeah they won 3 before it was changed to the Super Bowl in 1970. The 3 were 1948,1949 and 1960. This is their first Super Bowl victory. 

Just to make me feel old my parents were both alive in 1960 though they would have been children still.  My dad actually would have been in the womb during the 1948 championship.

Yay!  Patriots lost!  It goes to show how generally scary the Belichick/Brady Pats are in that I did not relax or assume any Philly victory until the clock was 00:00.  I can probably thank the stupid Falcons for that.  But I will give Doug Pederson a lot of credit for coaching to win instead of coaching to not lose.  He had some gutsy playcalls, including two key fourth down conversions (including a pass to the quarterback!  Wow!)  He clearly understood that, dammit, it's the Superbowl and it's against the established super power in the league.  You gotta lay in on the line and go for the knockout punch as this could be your only chance.  It often seems that the Patriots' strength is that they capitalize on the stupidity of the other team and rarely make really dumb mistakes themselves.  Pederson wasn't stupid and that's probably why they were JUST able to win it.

And I have to give a lot of credit to Nick Foles who played out of his mind in the playoffs.  His team needed him to save the season and he delivered.  That's clutch!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1048 on: February 05, 2018, 06:04:12 PM »
Hell of a game...Eagles were handed two touchdowns that would have been reversed in any other game though. Not to say they wouldn't have scored anyway...but still.

I disagree, the second catch was definitely a catch.  The receiver became a runner and broke the plane.

I think Chris Collinsworth dramatically overplayed the complexity of the rule.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 05, 2018, 07:58:43 PM »
Collinsworth is a former receiver so he's probably exceptionally befuddled by the current catch rules since it was much simpler when he played.  He comes across as quite cynical about it so he probably sees any slightly iffy catch and just assumes they'll overturn it.  Hell, I pretty much think like that.

I'm imagining the uproar and rioting that would occur in Philly if the franchise whose glory years started on the infamous Tuck Rule won the game on those catches being called back.  I don't even give a **** if the rule as is should have taken those back.  Those are real catches in anyone's minds but the lunatics in the NFL office.

For determining if the player was in bounds or not I say if the catch is started once his hands touch the ball and as long as he gets both feet in bounds and doesn't drop the ball as he lands it's a catch.  The hell with observing little bits of movement as "not having control".  Ball movement should only be looked at to determine if he dropped the ball as he landed.