Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 368942 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
We're less than three hours from the start of the NFL draft. What's everyone hoping for for your team? I really want the Browns to trade down, because they could really use a second round pick, which they lost by taking Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft last year.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
You know, I never really get caught up in the draft. It's interesting to see which team went where afterwards, but there are so many busts and so many unexpected successes that I have a hard time getting hyped up about any of it. Especially since I think you can't really evaluate a draft until a couple of games into the season.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I try to get into the draft every year, but then I remember why I don't. The show is so boring. The only interesting part are the stats, like the Browns having 11+ loss seasons for the last 5 years (a record).

The surprising thing is this is only the 2nd time since 1997 that only 1 QB/RB/WR was selected in the top 10.

And not a surprise to me, but my Bills picked a QB with their top pick (E.J. Manuel of Florida State).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile

The surprising thing is this is only the 2nd time since 1997 that only 1 QB/RB/WR was selected in the top 10.

The explanation I heard was that this tends to happen in weaker drafts, which may explain why the words "deep draft" kept getting thrown around this week.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
This draft is far from weak. Sure, there's not much in the way of skill position players, but it's a fantastic year for linemen and pass rushers, and pretty deep in terms of defensive backs.

Speaking of pass rushers, my Browns took Barkevious Mingo, who seems to be getting more attention for his (admittedly fantastic) name than for his talent on the field. He's somewhat raw, but if he continues to develop he could end up being the best player taken in this draft.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
The Packers got Datone Jones, which is nice because their DEs are either getting old, filled with potential that might not ever come, or meh.

Also, if someone asks me who the Packers drafted, I can say "Dat one!"
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
So after the offseason, training camp and one preseason game, how is everyone feeling about their teams this year?

I am cautiously optimistic after seeing Brandon Weeden's performance in that first game. With the strong defense the Browns have and all the talent around him on offense, all he's going to need to do is manage the games. Hand the ball to Trent Richardson, make a few key passes, and more than anything else, not turn the ball over. In a short amount of time against the Rams' first team offense, he looked like he might be able to do that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
The Seahawks are getting tons of hype and not just from the Seattle media.  They're being regarded as legitimate Superbowl contenders.

... we are so fucked. ;)

I'm very interested in this season because we'll get an idea if Russell Wilson is truly the real deal or a one season wonder.  It's kind of nerve wracking but you have to find that out.  If he continues to do well this year then I can feel confident that we have a good starting quarterback for the future.  That's the one position you need to feel confident about.  It would also feel good to feel consistently confident in my team.  Throughout the Pete Carroll era I've been on pins and needles, constantly checking the standings to see if the Seahawks can slip into the playoffs (they got in with a losing record in his first season here).  Often with the Vancouver Canucks I just assume they'll be in the playoffs and it's more enjoyable to have that confidence in your team.  If Wilson is the real deal then I can probably start making that assumption about the Hawks and can save the "OHGODDONTBLOWTHIS!!" anxiety for the playoffs.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
All the injuries for the Packers terrify me. But they also terrified me the year they won the damn Super Bowl. Our IR list was absurd. I think we were down to 3rd-string linebackers by the end. And then Charles Woodson broke his goddamn collarbone right before the half of the Super Bowl.

But yea, I'm hopeful for the rookie LT we've got replacing the out-for-the-year Bryan Bulaga. I loooove Eddie Lacy at RB, and Dujuan Harris (who holds the distinction of being "that dude who I met when I went to Green Bay last year that wasn't the red-headed punter") was solid at RB at the end of last year.
Jordy and Cobb being hurt worry me for our WR durability. Unlike last year where we had breathing room with 5 amazing WRs, we're done to 3 amazing WRs and 2 of them are battling injuries. And 2 of WR draft picks haven't been on the field yet because of injuries.
LBs seem to be in good shape. The DL should be improved. The secondary needs to be healthy. Once again, our depth is weak there and we need to not thrust every unproven rookie into crisis situation.

Annnnd seeing reports on the kicker duel is so depressing. I expect to see Aaron Rodgers going for it on 4th and short a lot until we get a kicker who is dependable. I get it, Mason; kicking in Green Bay is really hard, harder than anywhere else in the league. You still aren't consistent.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
I'm pretty excited. Bob Ryan seems like a good fit for the Saints, and this is our first season with Sean Payton back. I think we did pretty well for not having our headcoach last season, but there was some serious sloppiness that should be gone. Defense should be much improved, again, thanks to Ryan. He was doing well the the Cowboys defense before, and him and Payton get along well. Our schedule is kinda rough, but if we can win that first game, it'll set the tone for great season.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Can't wait for Teblow to get released...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I'm currently watching the replay of tonight's Browns-Lions preseason game. I have to say, this team is looking really good. Brandon Weeden doesn't just look like a game manager, he's making pinpoint throws, putting the ball exactly where it needs to be. If he can keep up the performances he's been having the last couple weeks, with the talent around him, this team will make the playoffs.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
If you're interested in fantasy football and don't have a league yet, mine is still looking for people. Sign up here: http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/jpsquared

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that, barring anymore major injuries, the Cleveland Browns will make the playoffs this year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Is NFL like rugby, if not explain the rules? :confused;
Made you look ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It's probably closer to rugby than it is to anything else, but it's still pretty different. It's essentially a turn-based form of rugby with a lot of high level strategy. It's slower and more methodical as opposed to the fluid nature of rugby. If you're familiar with the concept of a "set piece" in certain sports, pretty much every play in the NFL is like that. The action stops, both teams decide what play they're going to run, and then the ball is put into play and the teams try to execute their plan.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
sounds O.K but i'll keep with my NRL(australia) thank you, plus that's probaly what you grow up with is what you support, me included.
Made you look ****.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I've actually been kind of getting into rugby recently. I haven't gone so far as to pick a team or anything, but I've found it very fascinating whenever I've watched it on TV.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
It seems like now is as good a time as any to be doing predictions. I'm going to post my picks for who will win the divisions and wild cards in each conference, and I'd love for others to jump in with theirs as well.

AFC:
East - New England
North - Cincinnati
South - Houston
West - Denver
Wild Cards - Indianapolis and Cleveland

NFC:
East - Washington
North - Green Bay
South - Atlanta
West - San Francisco
Wild Cards - Seattle and New Orleans

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
AFC:
East: Patriots
West: Broncos
North: Bengels
South: Colts
Wild Cards: Texans, Chiefs

NFC:
East: Redskins
West: 49ers
North: Packers
South: Saints
Wild Cards: Falcons, Lions

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I can't believe you don't have Seattle in there. I flirted with the idea of both NFC wild cards coming from the West, and you're giving the conference's best division neither.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
****, wait. I forgot about the Seahawks.

Ok, swap them for the Lions. . .

No wait . . . I might wanna hold to my original list.

I'm so indecisive.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 10:34:13 PM by nickmitch »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Ooo. Predictions! This is with not much research and using my gut. I might have actual refined thoughts when I start prepping for my fantasy draft and the full-season-before-it-starts pick'em I'm doing.

AFC East - Patriots (3)
AFC North - Bengals (4)
AFC South - Texans (1)
AFC West - Broncos (2)
Wild Cards - Steelers (5), Chiefs (6)

WC Weekend - Steelers over Bengals, Chiefs over Patriots
Divisional - Broncos over Steelers, Texans over Chiefs
Conference - Broncos over Texans

NFC East - Redskins (4)
NFC North - Packers (2)
NFC South - Falcons (3)
NFC West - Seahawks (1)
Wild Cards - Niners (5), Saints (6)

WC - Falcons over Saints, Redskins over Niners
Divisional - Packers over Falcons, Seahawks over Redskins
Conference - Packers over Seahawks

SB - Packers over Broncos

I can't help it; I'm biased for the Packers. But to be fair, it's not an absurd prediction.

I'll add the caveat that the Redskins will only go as far as RG3 is healthy. If he's hurt for a chunk of the season, the Giants win that division. If he's hurt in the playoffs, the Skins don't win a damn game.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I said it in the RFN thread and I'll say it here: it's crazy to put the Steelers in the playoffs at this point when you look at the team they have. Lousy O-line, injury prone QB, questions at RB, depleted, shallow receiving corps, and rapidly aging defense. They'll be lucky not to finish last in their division.

J.P. Corbran