Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 367845 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
That's for the minor leagues*. The NFL kickoff is September 5, and the pre-season ends on the 30th so picks will open up sometime after then.

* I will continue to refer to college football as the "minor leagues" until their playoff kicks in. Come at me, Mike.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Password is starfox for the league, by the way.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
It's not working for me, I need the password.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Reading comprehension, bro.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Sorry, I was still on the previous page. I'm bad about not realizing there's another one.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
So at what point in his career can we label Vince Young a flop? He struggled as a backup for the Eagles last season, and got cut in the preseason this year as a backup for the Bills. He wouldn't be the first good/great college player to fail in the NFL.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
He's not even the first great college QB from that draft class to fail in the NFL. He and Matt Leinart, the two QBs in the 2006 National Championship game, often cited as one of the greatest college football games ever, have been huge flops in the NFL.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
For the curious, the picks are now live.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
I have done precisely as much research this year as I did last, and eagerly look to repeat my almost-.500 performance. Let's do this!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Welp, my season started as well as I thought it would. ^_^

:(

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Welp...  NFR crew is batting 0...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
I have no issue with this.

If I was a betting man, I would have gone Giants, but as a Packer fan and a fan of football, I was rooting for the underdog and against the team that ended my team's season last year.

A good game, though. It was enjoyable and oh man, football is back! Now I can get ready to **** my pants continiously from like 4:15 to 7:30 on Sunday as the Packers play the Niners and I watch it with my Niner fan friend.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
So the Browns have canceled plans for a short tribute to Art Modell before tomorrow's game against the Eagles, at the request of his family. Probably for the best, because Cleveland fans wouldn't have been portrayed in the best light by a stadium full of people booing through a moment of silence for someone who just died.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Alright I'm a little confused this year.  What are those +/- scores, I would assume there handicaps.  How in the world am I suppose to call games if I didn't see those numbers to begin with?  If I would have known before had that Cleveland had an 8.5 handicap I would have easily picked them because I thought it be a close game.

Why aren't we just doing Win/Lose this year?

How do I know the spread to begin with?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
The spread is shown on the page where you make the picks.

So far, the Browns look a lot like they did last year, with a really good defense but absolutely no offense. Really nowhere to go but up for Brandon Weeden after that performance, and the lack of a preseason really showed for Richardson.

J.P. Corbran

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Would anyone want us to do a weekly Connectivity segment that's like 10 minutes long and has a consistent group of NWR staffers picking a few games each week? I kind of want to do it, but idk.

Also, man, that Packers/Niners game was a bummer. The Pack got what they deserved for playing so flat for half the game (at least), but they showed promising signs of life at the end, and I'm hopeful for a solid showing against the Bears this week.

Though the new refs are terrible, and there were tons of blown calls both for/against the Packers. Not enough to totally change the tide of the game, but enough that it is an issue. There is one drive in particular where two no-calls on blatant pass interference stalled a drive that made me angry.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
I'd listen to that weekly segment. More NFL talk is always better.

I enjoyed the Packers game, although the defense certainly had plenty of miscues during the first half (which is all I got to see). I was expecting the offense to perform a bit better, but then I have a ton of respect for the Niners' defense, so I can't complain when their coverage is that tight.

The refs were pretty bad, though. At least they blew calls both ways.

My questions for the week are 1) is Sean Payton's playcalling the missing ingredient in New Orleans? 2) How did the Eagles win that one?! 3) Are the Eagles going to suck sweaty donkey balls this year? 4) Is the Broncos' offense as good as they looked in the second half, or is the Steelers' age finally showing?

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
1) I'd say the defense is the worst part of the Saints. AFAIK, Payton only does playcalling on offense, right? Offense could have been better, but the defense got schooled by RGIII. Not undervaluing RGIII's incredible performance, but rookie QB lit up a defense. Never good.

2) Brandon Weeden.

3) Probably. Brandon Weeden almost beat them.

4) Mix of both.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Payton does the playcalling as well as the pregame prep for the offense, and the offense did end up looking pretty flat at times. I never expected them to go three-and-out back to back like that. They started to come alive again towards the end, but the middle part of the game...it was like the playoff game against the Niners all over again, but their opponent was scoring and there was no Patrick Willis on the other end.

And now I feel like I have to see some Brandon Weeden...highlights...?

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
That article lambasted the dude. Now I feel sorry for the guy! :D

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Just watch the video where he gets attacked by the American flag.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
Just watch the video where he gets attacked by the American flag.

Oh I did. "Look at the confidence and maturity!"  ;D

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Much better week for my Browns, even though they lost by a wider margin. Trent Richardson had a breakout performance showing everybody why he was the #3 pick in the draft, and Brandon Weeden looked poised, confident, and moved the ball down the field for two TDs and no interceptions. The main reason they lost was they were without both starting corners due to Haden's dumb suspension and whatever reason Sheldon Brown was out; if their secondary had been at full strength they'd have won the game.

In fantasy football news, I <3 C.J. Spiller, who got me 29 points today, and that plus Eli(te) Manning's 35 have me running away with it this week.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
There were a ton of surprises yesterday, most of them pleasant from my perspective. Of course, now I have little idea what to expect from some teams, most notably New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.