Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 369236 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 NFL Discussion: Lockout, schmockout!
« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2012, 12:06:10 PM »
Seeing Peyton Manning on another team next year is going to be very weird.  Though not seeing him play at all last year was weird in itself.  Can I dream that he ends up on the Seahawks?

I think the Colts should draft Luck.  That was the whole thing this season, "suck for Luck".  Luck has been the hyped up guy for over a year.  Griffin is the guy for which there was suddenly a buzz.  Every sport has that "oh wait, maybe THIS guy is the best player of the draft" guy.  He's a trick.  Stick with the conventional pick.  Every hyped up draft pick reachs a point where the media runs out of things to say so they grab someone else and run "is player b actually better than player a?" stories.  At the very least if Luck turns out to be a bust the Colts have an excuse.  "Hey, he was the consensus number one pick.  What else did you expect us to do?"  It's when you think outside the box with the number one pick and get a bust that you get raked over the coals.  Griffin being a bust while Luck becomes a star would be far worse for Indy than the other way around.  Luck is the safe pick.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the NFL first talk to saints about this after their Super Bowl win? Or at least around that time?

I don't think they should lose their trophy, but I think this goes further back than you think.

I didn't hear that they talked to the Saints about it then, but it's widely reported that every Williams team for the past decade-plus has done something similar. That means the Saints, Redskins, Bills, and Titans are all implicated. And then there's all the rumors of basically every other team in the league doing something similar...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 08, 2012, 10:43:49 PM »
I hope Peyton goes to Miami (mainly so that I can officially be a Miami fan, and also to smite TJ Spyke). Miami hasn't had a good quarterback since Dan Marino, and Manning would be the perfect guy for Matt Moore to train under and take over in a couple of years.

Chad Henne sucks, btw.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »
I'd like to see the Cardinals get him, but Miami would be great too.

As for the colts picking between Luck and Griffin, it depends on what they plan to accomplish. Do they want another, younger Peyton in Luck? Or do they want the next Cam Newton?

Either way, you're destined to have a great QB. I would prefer Griffin simply because he's more athletic and can do the things, say, that Aaron Rodgers can do (scramble and get the 1st if nothing is there).
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »
Luck can run too; he doesn't have the speed of Griffin, but he's definitely mobile enough to scramble for a first down when he needs to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2012, 11:04:09 PM »
Could insanolord be ready to deal with the Browns not getting RG3? It's no secret that the Redskins need a new quarterback (and Peyton Manning rejected them earlier today). There have just been reports that that Redskins have reached a deal with the Rams (which won't be official until the league season starts next week) to give the Redskins the #2 draft pick. The Redskins would give the Rams their #7 draft pick for this year, plus future 1st round picks and other draft picks (including a 2nd round pick). This means that the top two quarterbacks in the draft will be gone before the Browns get their chance since the Colts will almost definitely take Luck or Griffin and the Redskins will take the other.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
I want RG3, but not having to give up our three picks in the top 36 would mean we could grab a receiver, another o-lineman and maybe a running back and give Colt McCoy one more shot with a bit more talent around him. If that doesn't work, we're likely to have another high pick next year to grab Matt Barkley or whoever else is there. I'd rather have RG3, but that's not such a bad second choice.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
Apparently Peyton Manning has blown off Seattle, not even giving the Seahawks a visit like he's done with Denver and Arizona.  Seahawks too sucky, I guess?  I wish Peyton at least heard the team out.  Refusing to visit just comes across like him never giving the Seahawks a second thought.

What it interesting is that Denver appears to be the frontrunner.  Last season when Tebow was pulling miracle wins out of his ass, it seemed like John Elway was annoyed.  It's like he didn't think Tebow was any good (and Tebow IS a pretty lousy passer) and all this winning the division and winning a playoff game was no good because it suggested that maybe he was WRONG.  I've never seen a guy come across as more reluctant about doing well.  If he can get Petyon he can get the type of quarterback he REALLY wants, instead of an unconventional one that happens to win regardless.  Broncos fans were thrilled with Tebow Time last season and Elway is following it up by replacing the player that all the fuss was about in the first place.  Now Manning is probably the only quarterback that could replace Tebow without the fans turning on ownership, so they picked the right guy to go after.  And Manning is CLEARLY a better quarterback than Tebow.

So what happens now?  Do they trade Tebow away?  Do they bench him?  And what if Manning DOESN'T sign with them?  They just told their starting quarterback that they have no faith in him and their fanbase that he isn't the quarterback they really want.  A big talking point with Tebow fans was that the Broncos were not giving him a fair chance to show what he can do and this would just confirm those accusations.  "Thanks for leading us to the second round of the playoffs.  We're pursuing your replacement."  I think this only works if Manning does sign with them AND he performs at his pre-injury level.  Otherwise it looks like they stabbed their most popular player in the back.

Of course Tebow seems like a humble enough guy to not get all pouty about it and get into some feud with management.  But in a way that makes it worse.  They know he's not a primadona that will act like a dick about this so they figure they can get away with it.  Other players would be twittering angry comments about Elway.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »
Tebow sucks at passing, and handing off, plain and simple. He can run, but he is a terrible quarterback (at least by NFL standards). He should be used to getting crucified though...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #359 on: March 12, 2012, 11:41:53 PM »
It's being reported that Randy Moss has signed a one-year contract with the 49ers. If he can play like the old Moss (and not the 2010 version of himself) and the 49ers can re-sign Smith, they could do very well.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »
So, barring any unforeseen problems in the negotiations, it appears Peyton Manning is a Denver Bronco. If that goes through, the talk is Tebow being traded to Jacksonville.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
I hadn't heard about the Jaguars part. If that happens, Jaguars fans will be happy since I remember them saying how much they wanted Tebow on the team (since he played college in Florida).

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 19, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
Jacksonville needs a reason for people to care about the team, and Tebow would draw people in anywhere, but especially there.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:32 PM »
Looks like I'm a Broncos fan now. Damn it. I guess Tebow is better than nobody for Jax...but not much better.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 19, 2012, 08:21:46 PM »
Tebow in Miami. Book it.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 19, 2012, 08:59:18 PM »
No way. Miami isn't *that* desperate.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Yeah, they went out and got David Gerrard.

Desperate isn't the word. Tanking is.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:41 PM »
And so begins the Matt Barkley sweepstakes.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:47 PM »
In other QB news, the Seahawks signed Packers back-up Matt Flynn to a 3 year deal.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #369 on: March 21, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
Well, the Jets get Tebow and the Saints just got royally fucked. What. A. Day.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #370 on: March 21, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
Not quite, looks like the Jets deal might not happen because they found out they would have to pay the Broncos $5 million for bonuses the Broncos paid Tebow. It's the same reason the Jaguars backed out of trade talks for Tebow.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #371 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »
Well, now it's official.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2012, 09:43:13 PM »
Poor Tebow. Last season he lead the Broncos to the playoffs, now he will be the back-up to Mark Sanchez.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:19 PM »
Elway has to be really happy right now. He got Tebow out of town without everyone hating him, has 2-3 years of being a solid contender with Manning, and a couple draft picks to boot. Josh McDaniels really fucked that team over (think about it: they could have the really good defense they have now plus Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Brandon Lloyd on offense if not for him), but they seem to be headed in the right direction.

Poor Tebow. Last season he lead the Broncos to the playoffs, now he will be the back-up to Mark Sanchez.

Tebow didn't lead the team to the playoffs; the defense did. Also, that division was objectively awful last year, so winning it wasn't really any accomplishment. And he'll be more than a backup; with Sparano as their OC you can bet they'll have him running a significant amount of Wildcat-type plays, which he's well suited for. That plus his very needed positive presence in the locker room means this could be a win for the Jets if it works out right.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
Tebow didn't lead **** to ****. Sparano sucks though, he wasn't good enough for Miami...can't imagine he'll do much for the Jets.