Author Topic: I have computer related questions. Can you help?  (Read 148562 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: I have computer related questions. Can you help?
« Reply #500 on: July 22, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
Anyone running Windows 10, and can they answer a keyboard shortcut question for me (actually for a blind computer tech) He needs to know how to get to the Ease of Access center. It used to be Win+U then Alt+N

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 15, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »
I have an issue with Win 10. I've downloaded it to 2 of 3 computers so far, and I'm holding out on computer #3 as the issues w/ computer #2 make me want to switch back to Win 8.1

I run a Plex server off Computer #2 at my girls house, but Win 10 keeps randomly resetting the computer, which means it won't wake up when we try to access it remotely anymore as it's either  not on or not logged in.

and the much lessor issue is that it will go to sleep, and when it wakes up, it's not at the log-in screen like it's supposed be. I can see that being an issue at some point, with it being a shared computer, w/ kids in the house as well.

Anybody got solutions to this problem?
my Plex server not being available at random to all TV's in the house, or even from my phone on the go is a HUGE issue for me right now, and will force me back off of Win10.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
Haven't had the pleasure of that issue, but if it's an upgrade install, then I'd recommend trying a clean install. But you'll lose everything, so it's not a great solution, especially if it doesn't work.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
i looked deeper into the issue (google search) and several video suggested unclicking the "Fast Start-Up" box under power options.

So I did that, and now I will see if that fixes the problem.

« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2015, 07:37:28 PM »
I am scared to do the upgrade on my Windows 7 Laptop. has anyone had any experience with it is it a smooth transition where I can upgrade but not have to do a full fresh install? Will I need to dig up my Windows discs to find the serial number or will it fill that in automatically?
You can call me Mikey if my username is too long.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,
I own Wii U, PS4, PS3, and PC.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
As long as its a legit install, you won't have to do anything, at all. Just do the upgrade..

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 16, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »
So i found out the error I'm having is Memory_Management, and the BSOD upon reset tells me to search for it.

several resources online say it's either an hardware error or more likely a driver error, since it didn't exist in Win 8.1. I checked the video, monitor and HDD drivers... with no luck.
they suggest using the "verifyer" but so far the places I checked haven't detailed how to find that in Win10 as it's not the same as in WinXP-Win8.

It's super early in the morning and I was coming to the computer for something else entirely, but here I am dealing with this yet again.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 16, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »
Update: I ran the verifier, and my computer entered an endless endless reboot, reload verifier, error, reboot, rerun verifier, error cycle.

It suggested a reset my computer back to fresh install, which I decided to do since there was nothing of importance on the main drive anyway.

I'm hoping it doesn't get stuck, as I'm letting it do it's thing while I go to work.

« Reply #509 on: November 16, 2015, 09:34:11 AM »
As long as its a legit install, you won't have to do anything, at all. Just do the upgrade..

Let me clarify, my PC came with Windows 7 preloaded, then I had a ton of major errors that made using it next to impossible so I contacted Samsung to order replacement installation discs because the partition had become corrupted also. Those new discs have a different serial number than the original that came with it, so if I upgrade and then for whatever reason need to re-install using the discs and upgrade again will that be a problem? But now that I typed it out, I guess not.
My favorite games are: Minecraft, Star Wars, Mario, DK, Zelda, Ninja Turtles, and Call of Duty,

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »
Update: I ran the verifier, and my computer entered an endless endless reboot, reload verifier, error, reboot, rerun verifier, error cycle.

It suggested a reset my computer back to fresh install, which I decided to do since there was nothing of importance on the main drive anyway.

I'm hoping it doesn't get stuck, as I'm letting it do it's thing while I go to work.

Update 2:
Reset of computer also failed.... I think I accidentally deleted the Win8 install when trying to make space on the 120GB SSD installed, so it optioning me to go back to Win7
but I think i'm just gonna pop the Win8 disc in and give it a fresh install.

I think I'll hold off on Win 10 upgrade on my main computer for a while.

edit:

This is hilarious. so I get the verifier to run, I read the dump file, find the problem driver, but can't fix it.... (potential problem file = rt640x64.sys).
So i decide to reinstall Win 8, but for some reason Win 10 won't let me boot from the disc, and it won't let me roll back to Win 8 (because it's not there) not Win 7 (as it will just boot back into 10).

So I guess my only other option is to just wipe the drive and do a fresh Win 8 install until MS forces Win10 back on me again early next year as a Windows auto-update.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:03:09 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 12, 2015, 08:52:03 PM »
I keep trying to update to the latest version of Win 10 ver 1511 (OS Build 10586) but it keeps having a error.

I was hoping updating to the latest build would solve the random restart issue, and I already fixed the problem with the computer going to sleep and never waking up when trying to remotely start Plex player from another device.

I'm currently on Build 10240.

Any idea on how to get the update to take place successfully?

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
Are you just using the Win update method?

If you are, give the MS media creation tool a go.  I had an error too but the tool went through no problems.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 13, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »
I've never used the media creation tool before, but it looks like it's usually for win 10 installs. I'm researching it now, but....

Do I just download the tool and go from there, or do i also need to download the update in some form?

I'm trying the MS suggestion of doing the update in safe mode (w/ networking), but it won't connect to the internet for the update...
So now in back to looking in deeper to the MS creation tool route.

edit:
Is using the Media Creation Tool going to do a fresh install of Win 10 w/ the update already included?
or is it just going to force the update?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:28:06 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 13, 2015, 10:33:29 PM »
It can do a fresh install if you so desire, but it will give you the option to upgrade rather than full rebuild.

Just download the tool and run it.  It'll download a Win 10 build and then any relevant updates to the current build.  Select the "upgrade" option when prompted and it will do the rest. 

I updated to the current Windows 10 build using that same tool and it worked just fine.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 13, 2015, 10:40:17 PM »
Well, I just did it, and it told me there was an error and to restart and try running it again...

the only good thing that has come of Win 10 so far is that my HOLA app started working.
other than that, I would jump back to Win 8.1 with the quickness... but it won't let me. and booting from a disk isn't working either.

rebooted and got the same error again:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:57:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 14, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
Well, I just did it, and it told me there was an error and to restart and try running it again...

Damn.  I'm afraid I've got nothing for you then.  Never seen that before. :(

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 14, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
I guess a fresh install is my best option. I'm gonna get MS in the phone first and see if they can fix it without me wiping the harddrive and starting fresh again.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 14, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
Have you tried the factory reset option? I think Windows 10 has that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 15, 2015, 12:54:33 AM »
I was trying not to reset everything first.... not that I have much of anything of importance on the main drive anyway.

But I'm sure that will be an eventual option since a downgrade doesn't seem to be an option w/o a c:\format C: command first.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 17, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »
Anybody know a good VPN service?

trust.zone is only $2.99mo if you buy a whole year, so I was wondering if someone more familiar with what makes a good VPN could give some insight.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 17, 2015, 11:32:48 PM »
Edward Snowden uses https://www.hidemyass.com/

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 22, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
Finally took the plunge recently to build my own computer.  Got everything finally assembled Saturday evening and got Windows 10 installed.  Install graphics drivers, install steam & my copy of civ 4, run Civ 4, and boom, everything looks clean and runs great.

So yesterday night, I decide to boot up skyrim.  The intro starts, and everything looks pretty damn great, then all of a sudden, and sorry for a poor description of this, but the game character models start going all to hell, and black and white little boxes start fuzzing all over the place on my screen.

I exit the game, and they still end up on my desktop background. concerned, I shut down the computer & restart, but it's still there?!?!.

Google fu claims the following possible culprits:

1) The Graphics card wasn't pushed into its slot securely enough, and once I got a more hardware intensive game running, exposed the issue.
2) The graphics card is busted & needs replacing.
3) Possible motherboard failure.

I'm going to attempt #1 above first, but thought I'd run it by any potential tech experts here.  Any help appreciated, thanks.

« Reply #523 on: February 22, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
Be sure to double check the slot you inserted the video card into and clear it for obstacles, dust, contaminants, etc, and try unplugging it and plugging it back in but make sure it is in there snug and that everything "clicks" into place however it is supposed to, depending on the card slot you have. I haven't installed a new graphics card in a very long time so I don't know if things have changed but the card shouldn't display anything if it isn't inserted all the way.

You might need to fiddle with the BIOS settings make sure all your speeds are matched up properly and check with whoever makes the game you are having trouble with and see if there is a known issue related to that glitch and see if they have a patch to fix it. Also as always double check to make sure your drivers are up to date and everything in the settings is correct.

Without knowing specifics, what card you have, the details of the mother board, etc, it's really hard to narrow things down further than that. But I had a video card installed in an old desktop machine that had a piece of gravel stuck in the slot and it caused the thing to over heat a lot, not the same as what you are having but worth a shot just make sure you blow it out with a can of dust spray or whatever you use these days.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 25, 2016, 08:24:31 AM »
Quick update - it was definitely a faulty graphics card, got the replacement in yesterday, plugged it in, and everything runs smooth (including Skyrim). 

Thanks for the feedback, Michaelbaysuperfan616.