Author Topic: Mafia LX: Holiday Murder Mystery Mafia (HM3) - 1st Day of Christmas  (Read 13672 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Welcome to the party! I hope everyone is having a great time. Please pay no heed to the dead girl in the corner. We can still have a wonderful time drinking holiday cheer and forgetting our troubles. No there is no need to call the cops. There are enough suspicious things happening here this weekend that we'd all get hauled off to jail.
Please, everyone, let's just drink more egg nog (I spiked it myself!) and have the time of our lives. And if we party hard enough, I hear that Santa himself may make an appearance! What do you want him to bring you?

~Meanwhile, at Santa's Workshop

Helper: Santa! Something bad is happening! Looks like a group of murderous wives are plotting the death of their husbands and everyone else around them. What should we do?
Santa: The only thing we know how to do: bring cheer to the world through the satisfaction of children's greedy obsession with materialism! To the sleigh!

Day Thread will close at 9:00PM PST.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LX: Holiday Murder Mystery Mafia (HM3) - 1st Day of Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Question (or two):

You say this about Santa's Helper: "Santa chooses a person to be his ‘helper’. This person is not notified by the Host until Santa’s passing that he is the next Santa."

Does that mean a mafia member could be chosen as Santa's helper? Also, would Santa have to choose right away or can he wait until he is ready to do so?

Also, un-vote Pokepal148. Nothing personal but he was the one to break the chain in the sign-up thread and I told him he'd be the first one dead so now I have to keep my word.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:58:23 PM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »
Fifteen players, four mafia, so about 1/3 of the total group. Leaves only a day's worth of error.

I promise to be more attentive this time around. Unfortunately, the same cannot be guaranteed by every user. I'm afraid we'll have another 'shoot the inactive' bandwagon spree in due time.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
Well, I hope the delay in starting the game doesn't have a factor in people being absent and not realizing it has started. Although he isn't playing, last game, Thatguy had a very limited window in which to play because of his job so with a late start like this, I'm not sure he would have been able to participate day 1. That could be true of others as well.

At the same time, I say reach out to the inactive players. If you see someone not participating, call them out in this thread and/or vote for them. Also, send them a pm message and see if you can get them to respond and participate that way. If someone's trying to hide, getting messages from players will show that they are not being successful about it. There's always solutions to the problems this game can pose. You just have to figure them out.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »
I've read the rules as best as I can, but I'm still a little hazy on the specifics of how this game is supposed to work. I'll be as involved as I can, but I might need to hang back for a little bit to see how the game is played. I don't want to go ruining it for everyone else.
Gouge away.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
Doom came out 20 years ago, on 12-10-1993. If you add all the digits up, you get 26. If you add *those* digits together, you are left with 8. The only players with 8 letters in their username are Silenced and Toruresu.

I got nothing.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
On the first day of mafia my instinct's telling me,
un-vote Khushrenada for thinking poop pics are funny.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:10:27 PM by lolmonade »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
That is a huge loophole with Santa possibly going to the Mafia. I'll just randomly select a new santa instead of the old one getting to choose.

Also, due to the late start I sent a group pm to everyone playing the game as a reminder. I'm hoping it doesn't hurt play.

Pixley, you can ask me for clarification on any of the rules at any time. Feel free to pm me.
My Game Collection

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
Ok vote khushrenada because he's the first person to try to vote someone out and try to start a bandwagon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:28:16 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
If I was trying to start a bandwagon, you'd be dead already. And it is the second vote that creates a bandwagon. Not the first. Therefore, you should be voting for yourself.

Really thinking about voting lolmonade for thinking poop pics aren't funny but I sadly know he's right about that. Again, it wasn't the pic I found funny but the shock it would cause. And I'd vote Stratos if he was playing for the late start and calling Pixpix Pixley. Who does that? In short, I'd vote you all out and win on my own. I'm surprised Stevey hasn't jumped on the vote Khushrenada bandwagon.

However, I'd say we should be focusing on two other individuals. Nickmitch and Glad0s have both been around today and I know for sure they know the game is on and have lurked this thread. Yet neither has posted anything yet. Maybe they are trying to keep from getting voted out or maybe they want to lay low and avoid suspicion for awhile. I say we target them right now and get them to start commiting votes and/or comments.

Vote Nickmitch

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
In a normal game I would usually hold off and wait for everyone else to check in before making judgments, but that doesn't always happen here.

And a random/joke bandwagon on Day 1 is the perfect way to deflect suspicion and send a townie off with little repercussions. Seeing as lolmonade was mafia last game (if I can recall) I do suspect him less. The chances of him earning a mafia role two times in a row is lower than a previous townie getting one.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »
If only there were some way to tell who was in the Mafia, like...oh I don't know, some kind of Mafia Apparel. A Fedora for instance!

↑↑↑
Gouge away.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
Some free advice. If I was Santa, I'd work it this way. Choose two people to be the doctor and detective. Tell the person you chose that you are Santa and they are to protect you every night. You'll keep choosing them over and over. Next, you tell your investigator who you are and who your doctor is. That way, if you have selected a mafia member to protect you and they do not and whack you instead, well, it sucks but it exposes a mafia member as the detective will know who failed to give protection.

Meanwhile, the detective must give you all his findings. From there, you will start to build a townie alliance and keep those people informed of each new investigation for each day. The key is to find Santa's Helper. Once you've found him, he's the only other townie you can fully trust so make him your detective from then on.

What if the person you choose as detective is mafia? That's a risk but he will be in a quandry as well. He can give you false readings. However, doing so means he may also be caught as well. As soon as someone dies who isn't what he said they were, then he is exposed. He'll die and you'll start anew.
However, a smarter thing might be to rotate. So, the investigator you choose on Day 1 will then be your doctor Day 2 and you pick a new investigator. Then your Day 2 investigator becomes your doctor on Day 3 and you choose a new investigator. Of course, you would tell your investigator who you want them to check on and start accumulating data that way and keep it from all being potentially corrupted.

Of course, if both people you choose are mafia members from the start, well, that is some really crappy luck but there is always Santa's Helper to take over and hopefully things go better than. Plus, there will be players winning investigations each day and so things can still work in the townies favor even if the Santa role is crippled.

It is the best plan I can come up with regarding these roles.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:10:05 PM by Khushrenada »

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
If Steve Martin is a mafia man, consider me surprised.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
It's always the ones you least expect!

...Or is that Cylons?
Gouge away.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 07:21:14 PM »
We should never vote out Khush the first day.  He has proven to be able to find the mafia in no time at all if you just give him a day or two. 

Also, big question.  If Santa is killed before assigning a helper does that mean there is no helper?  Santa if you are out there...maybe don't wait. 

Finally, I am not going to pursue the investigator role, because my time difference makes it hard to talk to people.  So I am not going to be doing too much role playing this game. 

As for a wild guess vote...heck I don't know. 

Vote:  Nickmitch
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:49:58 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:58 PM »
We should never vote out Khush the first day.  He has proven to be able to find the mafia in no time at all if you just give him a day or two. 

Assuming he's not mafia.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 07:30:15 PM »
Khush:  That is good advice.  This mafia game has many mafia members.  It is important to build an alliance fast.  But it also has the advantage for us townies of getting lucky.  We might be able to get some lucky investigations and votes in.  It is also important Khush that the Doctor can not give out the investigator role.  It looks like that is a special role.  Only the person who posts the most gets it.  But that means there are only 2 roles that Santa can give out it looks like.  I am kinda confused on that one.

I hope so.  At any rate...the game is a foot and people can not hide forever.

Edit:  Nevermind, finished reading all the rules.  Say the editing mistake.  OK.  There can be up to 2 investigators...OK.  This game is going to be pretty even.  I think the mafia is going to be in trouble. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:33:26 PM by Spak-Spang »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 07:35:01 PM »
Lolmonade:  Which is why I said first day.  Give him a day or two to work his magic and prove his innocence. 

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
I guess the time difference means I'll need to get my vote in early (it's already Wednesday here).

I'm still a little unclear on who the culprits are or who they're accused of killing (you know? Other than that one lady in the corner). So I assigned you all a number and put it into a random number generator (http://www.random.org/). Based on the number it spat back,

Vote: Insanolord

Which I feel really bad about because they just recently accepted my friend request on PSN, lol.

Gouge away.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 07:51:52 PM »
Only two votes are against an actually active player.

If you guys really want Khush's 'super-sleuth' powers, it appears he's on the verge of getting voted out. Only like an hour left if I read the time right.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
I hate my reputation. Hey, let's build me up as a huge threat against the mafia so they whack me right away. Also, if I don't find a mafia member in a day or two, then we'll kill you for clearly not helping townies.

First, I'm not infallible and have lost as a townie to the mafia before. I will choose the wrong people at times. I haven't played a mafia game in almost a year and a half. I'm not counting the last game in Dec. 2012. I was voted out Day 1 in it but I let myself die so that the killer could play on and I had won just won the game before (as a townie! gasp!) so I wasn't trying that hard.

Yeesh. I'm just playing on my own and I'm keeping my activities pretty public. Why not worry about some of the other players who are laying low? The dangers you can not see right now. Like Nickmitch.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 07:53:29 PM »
Only two votes are against an actually active player.

If you guys really want Khush's 'super-sleuth' powers, it appears he's on the verge of getting voted out. Only like an hour left if I read the time right.

You are reading the time wrong. There is 4 hours and 7 minutes or so left in the day.

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Read the P as an E. My bad.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »
It has been brought to my attention that I forgot a part of the rules I had discussed before the game started. Whoever wins the boozer-investigator role is immune to a hit from the mafia\vigilante for that night. There is an assured death for the winner of the role and would defeat the use of the role.

Apologies for the confusion. And yes, a little under 4 hours of vote time.
My Game Collection