Author Topic: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?  (Read 23428 times)

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« on: February 04, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »
Well I had my original  cube since launch and about 5-6 months ago it died on me, all of a sudden the disc just would no longer spin. So I replaced it with a new one.
Well the one I replaced it with died tonight.

I am so frustrated  right now. Anyone know if Nintendo will fix something like this. I no longer have the receipt and really hate if they are making the cubes shotty like the Playstation 2 just to up there sales numbers as I am sort a forced to buy a new one seeing I have over a freggin 100 games I no longer can play now.

Has anyone else had this problem? up till now I was die hard Nintendo promoter but  I am rally just in a super bad mood over this right now.

Any suggestions?? contact info?? similar stories??    

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 03:09:50 PM »
I've had my cube since launch and it's still working fine. I would call Nintendo's help line (check Nintendo.com), since your cube is within the year warranty. Be sure to have the serial number from the bottom handy too, as well as a rough estimate of when you bought it.
You have to expect these things to happen. The cube will eventually wear out if you're constantly playing games.

100 games? Wow, you must have both tons of money and lots of free time...  

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
RE: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? why me?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 03:13:31 PM »
Fiirst thing to do is to calm down. Take a breath and try and salvage the situation.

I did have similiar situation a while where I bought my 'Cube, and around 1 year to the day that I bought it, it just croaked. I called up Nintendo's customer service, who then told me I was under warranty, so they'd ship one free of charge. All I had to do was to send it to an authorized Nintendo Repair place.

If you just this one, just call Nintendo and tell them your situation. They'll ask for the serial number, and verify you're under warrranty. If you are, follow their instructions on how to replace it. Chances are they'll ship a new one free of charge..

What you will need is some patience, as it could take 1-2 weeks. Hope that helps you.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 03:26:10 PM »
hey, thanks, yes  a few deep breaths and tomorrow i'll search for a # and give a call.

how can they tell when i bought it from  the serial # ?

i sure hope i remembered to send in the warrenty card... rrrrgggghhhhh.....

Offline Syl

• O_o
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 06:05:54 PM »
I've also had mine since launch (litereally, i was 14th in line) and nothings gone wrong with it at all but the "open" cover is a little sticky somtimes, but not often.

I'm kinda curious to know what your doing to your cube that would cause it to die on you.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 02:18:28 AM »
sad thing is, Nothing... i open it shut it and take  super good care of it.

i'd understand if i was being rough with it or something but no , i  am not .

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 02:56:25 AM »

Originally posted by: StRaNgE

how can they tell when i bought it from  the serial # ?

At most stores, when a console (or computer or high end TV) is scanned to be checked out, the checkout is usually promted to scan the Serial number too. I assume that's sent to some sort of data bank to keep track of when the cube was bought.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 04:21:16 AM »
well so far so good.

i think i will post on here to keep all of you updated as to how this progresses.

1st, yes my system was still under warentee, all checked out and it was registered when sold to me.

today i will be packaging it up as requested by the web site that i used nintendo.com . i have a regestered account there which made this easier by far to do this.

i was told the return time would be 5-7 days , i assume that is from when they receive it so  i'm hoping 10 days  total of being cubeless.

as i hear more i will keep you posted. i have heard wonderful things from you all on nintendo's customer service so  keeping my fingers crossed that i receive that same great service.

thanks

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 04:35:15 PM »
No prob, strange.  I know you won't feel the effects of 'Cube withdrawl right away, but trust me,  you'll feel an odd tinge. Some things to do while you wait:

1)Read. If there's a novel, comic, manga (same thing, only different...), trashy romance book you've been holding off, now's a good time read it.

2) Play another system if you have one. Play the hell out of it. Make some up challenges (play with out dying, do large chunks, etc.)

3) Hang with friends. Self explantory.

Before you know it, you'll get new 'Cube, and you'll be rearing to go.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »
ha h ah, yeah i feel it already, my cube is all bundled up sitting there in  buble wrap. lol.

worst thing is i just bought a new game for it. beyond good and evil and never even got to see it turn on. lol

so today i bring the boxed up cube to a suggested fed Ex location for free drop off.
stage one will be complete in a couple hours.

i'll keep ya posted on how long it takes to get back.

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 11:55:31 AM »
6 months.. they will fix it for free .

Just call them up they should be cool about it. I had mine about 1 1/2 years and they fixed it for free. And its not like I threw it around it was obviously their mistake inside the system
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 12:59:38 PM »
ok, update!!!!

so far this day has been hell.

i am so pissed about fed Ex, i am going to write Nintendo and tell then to switch to UPS.

i had to go to two different fed Ex locations and still never got a printed label or printed reciept. i stayed on hold myself inbetween these two locations for over 30 minutes. waiting to find  out what was the problem.

hell i almost just said screw it and paid to have the cube sent UPS intstead.

the online system fed Ex has is horrible, a waste of time. i could have made enough money  to buy multiple cubes in the time it took for me to  deal with getting mine shipped out.

and still it will not go out till monday and i have to take the word of the people at the local center that over the weekend it will not get misplaced while waiting for fed Ex to show up with a label.

this is not directly nintendo's fault but it does not represent them well at all......

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 03:22:53 PM »
Hmmm... Tampering with your mail is a federal offense, and besides, who's stupid enough to 'misplace' a bum 'Cube?

What I did, was go to an authorized Nintendo Repair center (Usually mom-and pop electronic stores that have the Nintendo label with Mario and a Screwdriver), told them my dillema, and they shipped it out, free of charge.

Just exercise a little more patience, and it'll blow over.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 03:50:36 AM »
I guess I must be coming off wrong, I so much patience it is sickening, lol.

Just think the system fed ex is using is  ridiculous and so do the people that  work  at the suggested mail centers. One even lost his cool with fed ex and canceled the service right there and just gave me a phone # to call.

Just  sucked wasting an entire day trying to ship it out when I should have been able to walk in and walk out in 5 minutes.

I used the Nintendo web site and my Nintendo account to do this whole process so far, the Nintendo side of things seems smooth enough so far. Just would have been smoother using ups as they have this type of system down better from what the mail centers  say as well as from what I have used in the past is all.

Now I wait, it will probably be a week or more before the next update.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
RE:2 cubes in less then 6 months? (Official "My GameCube is broke thread")
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2004, 09:20:18 AM »
Update  for Monday  Feb 9th.

i decided to wait till after the weekend to email Nintendo to tell them of my wasted day last Friday. This way the letter would be sincere andd not just a ball of anger towards Fed Ex.

I really hope  that they do consider a switch to UPS as that would make this process so much easier for anyone in the future.

my cube is still in travel  from what i can tell on mynintendo account.

I do give props to the website and  set up so far.

i'll update again in a couple days.

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 02:26:58 AM »
Update for Tuesday Feb 10th:

Today at work i received a call from NOA. i was surprised to hear from them. They called to apologize for my bad experiance friday with fed Ex and to make a formal letter about the system. Turns out Nintendo  has just recently started using this system with Fed Ex within the last 4 months to 6 months. They guy sounded very concerned to get the story of what gappened and he made a note in his computer about it and then surprisingly offered me  a free players guide.

i did not really need one at this moment so i opted to go ahead and take a metroid prime as i  have only been able to complete it with about 89% over the years.

anyway, i again have to give two thumbs up on Nintendo's customer service . A follow up cal  call was not expected and showed that  a huge corperation can go  that extra mile  for the little guy.  My package was verified as being sent and should be in the hands of Nontendo sometime today, (wed).

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
RE: 2 cubes in less then 6 months? (Official "My GameCube is broke thread")
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »
Looks like we have another satisfied costumer...

I would've squeezed something off, but hey, free is free.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2004, 11:00:31 AM »
another update.

Friday the 13th.

checked status today and it has been shipped, went out yesterday and is due in by the 18th/

here is the real catch... it is being shipped by , that's right you guessed it UPS.

guess my complaint with Fed Ex set up actually made a difference.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2004, 04:16:07 PM »
There you go. Just 5 more days.  You're almost there.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline StRaNgE

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 06:33:23 PM »
Final UPDATE 2-18-04

Gamecube was shipped back today as scheduled.
all seems to be woring with it as should be. there is a small  bit of scratches that were not there when i shipped it out on the top door window but no huge deal.

anyway, Nintendo customer service was  very good and they shipped the cube back using UPS.

i threw in beyond good and evil for the 1st time tonight to try it all out and damn , this game is Awesome. a great story that pushes it even further.

if you have not played it and you enjoy Zelda type games, get it ASAP...

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2004, 06:27:48 AM »
My GameCube died on Friday (right after Radio Trivia, actually).  Description of problem:

When I turn my system on, the fan turns on and stays on.  The power light flashes on for a second.  There is no A/V output.

Since it is modded for JPN gmaes, Nintendo wouldn't repair it (even for money), so I've sent it to NCS for repair.  They charge $30 + shipping TO them (cost me $10)--the same price as their GC mod.  They said they couldn't guaruntee a fix, but they say they can fix "most" problems.  I suspect a fuse burned out, as other systems act similarly when this is the case, so I have high hopes.  NCS did an excellent mod job on my system 2 years ago. I'll keep you guys posted.

$40 sure beats $130+ for a new modified GC, or Nintendo's $70 service charge for systems out of warranty.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »
Well, it seems nobody cares about my poor GameCube, but I figured I would follow up anyways for future readers.  NCS has fixed my system--it WAS a fuse--and has shipped it back my way UPS.  I'll post here again if any complications arise, but I very much trust them and would recommend them to anyone who can't get their system repaired under warranty.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 07:05:56 PM »
i care, i care a whole lot! but given none of my consoles have ever suffered any technical malfucntions outside my n64's expansion pack, i don't really check this forum that often. i think i've been pretty damn lucky regarding my consoles .
OUT OF DATE.

Offline benjamin1254

• View Profile
RE: Official "My GameCube is broke thread"
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2004, 03:42:06 PM »
i have a gamecube problem...sorta funny realy! i was playing need for speed underground for a few days w/o rest. i got all cought up in the game! suddenly my cube poped up with a disc read error... i though "how strange my this is a new game this shouldent happen!" so i opened it up let it cool and played again... it was fine tell just about 2 months ago when it quit reading the game discs. The motor for the cd spinner i checked was fine, the fan was spinning ok, the lense is clean and so are all my game discs. i dont even know how in the world it would be getting a disc read error unless the programing or something else aint right inside. I need help! any ideas of what it could be? any other ideas rather than sending it in?
plz get back to me asap!
thanx!
one great man said it takes time to think but it takes ages to build!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Official "My GameCube is broke thread"
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2004, 05:29:49 PM »
Listen to it boot up a game and see if it makes any weird noises.
Apart from ringing NOA and seeing if they think it is worthwhile sending it to them, who knows.

Is it only one disc (NFSU) or is it not reading every game you have?