Author Topic: Games Nintendo needs to not put on Wii until they do something original  (Read 9019 times)

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
RE:Games Nintendo needs to not put on Wii until they do something original
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I find there are original games in the works for the Wii but it seems like there aren't because of who's involved.  The developers of the new games are largely unproven or inconsistent developers.  So I can't assume the game will be awesome and thus don't get hyped about it.  I get hyped about new games from EAD, Intelligent Systems and Retro Studios (and used to get excited for Rare) because those are elite Nintendo developers that deliver the goods 99% of the time.  So when they annouce a new IP I pay attention.  There were new games coming out at the end of the Cube's life like Battalion Wars and Geist.  But I didn't trust the developer and didn't think these games would be that good.  When they came out they got reviews that reflected my initial assumptions.  So those games might as well didn't exist because I don't care about new games if they're average or bad.  Pikmin however got tons of my attention because it was a new IP was EAD so I knew it would kick ass and it did.

Right now the REALLY important Nintendo developers are working on sequels so there is a perceived lack of newness because where it counts we're just getting sequels.  The B titles are new but the A titles are sequels.

I think the non-game factor plays a part too.  There are new IPs for the DS for example but I don't care because they're all non-game stuff I'm not interested in like Brain Training, Nintendogs, and Electroplankton.  WiiSports is a new game but the more I find out about it the less interested I am in it because it just sounds like a glorified tech demo with no depth, dumbed down for non-gamers.  The game might as well not exist if I'm not interested in it.  I want Nintendo's elite developers making awesome brand new stuff targetted at existing gamers and they're not so the Wii lineup looks more cookie-cutter than it actually is.

As much as it may pain you to hear this, developers does not make games with only you, one person, in mind. So believe me when I say that these new developers don't really care what you think, Ian. It's extremely selfish and arrogant to think that games aren't worth existing just because you don't like them. The aim is the Wii is to make everybody want to play it, including non-gamers, and if that's too much of a problem for you, go buy a PS3 and stop moaning.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2006, 08:46:50 AM »
I'm just jazzed that Ian's back!

/happy

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2006, 10:03:17 AM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
And since E3, EGM has had a top 50 original games issue (with Army of Two and Gears of War as number one and number two) and Wii had something like four games on the list.
I read that list; it was crap if for no other reason than Red Steel didn't even get a mention.  WTF is up with that?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
The EGM list exposes the Wii's games for what they are.  The ones that are not established franchises for the most part suck ****.  I'm looking at games (that if on Wii you guys would be jacking off to) that blow **** concepts like Hammer away.    

Lair is the dragon game for PS3 being developed by Factor 5.  

Last gen I had more fun with Halo than any Nintendo made game.  Halo was one of the hottest games period last gen.  The only nutters who say otherwise are biased fanboys.

Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Games Nintendo needs to not put on Wii until they do something original
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2006, 11:27:32 AM »
"As much as it may pain you to hear this, developers does not make games with only you, one person, in mind."

That isn't really what a meant.  I mean people like me.  I have limited time to play games so I buy the really good games.  So average 6 or 7/10 Nintendo titles don't cut it.  Non-games with little depth or challenge designed for people unfamiliar with games don't cut it.  There was a time that Nintendo practically only made games like this.  No half-assed Mario Pinball crap and the concept of non-gamers (and product aimed towards them) pretty much didn't exist.  Nintendo's group of developers were incredibly talented and Nintendo didn't dumb down games for seniors.  That's the Nintendo I became a fan of and that's the type of product I expect from them.  And I can't be the only Nintendo fan to have this sort of tastes.

So those games are what I base Nintendo's output on and I think that's fair since that's what their legacy is based on.  The "fill in release gap" Geist-type games and non-games aren't what Nintendo fans traditionally buy a Nintendo console for.  It's the AAA Game of the Year titles that Nintendo's elite developers almost effortlessly crank out that matter and right now those are all sequels.  If Nintendo was a rock concert the opening act would be new, there would now be some non-music related segment shoehorned in which would be new, but the headliners would be the same old acts.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
"I have limited time to play games so I buy the really good games."

I don't have time to waste my money on rental garbage either.  I look at games like Bioshock, Army of Two, and Gears of War and I see serious games.  

And I'm getting a distinct Geist feeling from the Wii games people keep bringing up.  The one original game that is cool was brought up was brought up by me (unless I missed someone else's reply before mine that brought it up), just because I am honest.

Nintendo could be publishing something cool like Lair, but they were only interested in having Factor 5 do something like Pilot Wings.  

"I read that list; it was crap if for no other reason than Red Steel didn't even get a mention. WTF is up with that?"

That is EGM clearly saying that Red Steel controlled like a turd at E3.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2006, 12:37:55 PM »

Originally posted by: nemo_83
The EGM list exposes the Wii's games for what they are.  The ones that are not established franchises for the most part suck ****.  I'm looking at games (that if on Wii you guys would be jacking off to) that blow **** concepts like Hammer away.    

Lair is the dragon game for PS3 being developed by Factor 5.  

Last gen I had more fun with Halo than any Nintendo made game.  Halo was one of the hottest games period last gen.  The only nutters who say otherwise are biased fanboys.

Halo one the hottest game period last generation? Well we know without a doubt that any "hot" game means it is a great game. Most of those games you listed that are exclusive new IPs are shooters of some variation, and little in the way of "new" concepts. Gears of War looks to be a shoot em up 3rd person action game along with the rest being a variation of the shooter genre with a couple of exceptions. Your argument that Wii's new IPs are made by "unproven" studios is also ridiculous, because even if that was true, up and coming studios can put out great software as well. A few of the proven studios are Ubisoft, Konami and of course Nintendo. Unlike most of those other IPs you listed the exclusives from those companies are trying to expand into new territory.

Eelbits-A wacky looking game. Not sure what it is going to turn out but it has promise to do something innovative
Red Steel-We still have only seen the tip of the iceberg on this one, but it shows alot of promise if they get the controls straightened out
Day of Disastor- Once again not much is known about this but monolith is a proven developer so it has potential
Sadness-A small developer that is getting a ton of help, sounds like it could potentially innovate the psychological horror genre with the Wiimote
Excite Trucks-Pretty much an arcadey off road racing game, probaly the most generic of the bunch
Project Hammer-Again not much is known about this except for the short demo, it obviously falls within the beat em action game genre.

I cannot comment on the rest of the new IPs because I know nothing about them. This list obviously doesn't include some of the exclusive IPs from Nintendo and their 3rd party developers like Rayman, Mario, exclusive RE game, Batallion Wars, and the host of other exclusives. Unlike those so called "new" IP experiences on Xbox 360/PS3, nintendo's new games have promise to do something completely different. Sure some will be letdowns but at least they tried and didn't stick to a particular genre like the "realistic shoot things" genre that Xbox 360 and PS3 will have. Don't get me wrong I am sure a few of those new IPs on PS3 and Xbox 360 will be fun games but they will most likely not expand video gaming as we know it. Not to mention alot of those are coming to PC so they aren't even that exclusive, and I will probaly get that version of the games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Games Nintendo needs to not put on Wii until they do something original
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
This thread became a trainwreck right quickly and even featured a severe case of Ian-ism.

That isn't really what a meant. I mean people like me.

Quit grandstanding for people who do not exist.  You decry sequels and claim to crave originality, but never support said originality and gloss over any attempt in hindsight.

Ian, for the next week you are not allowed to make a post with the following words:
nongame
nongamer
tradition
traditional
traditionally
longtime
hardcore
Nintendo
Wii
Iwata
Tech demo

Fellow forumers, if you see Ian use any of these words in any of these forums, please PM me.

Nemo, this thread is a clusterbomb of stupidity set off from your own brain.  Four offenses you have made:

1) this is a poll thread.
2) It is obvious flamebait
3) Logically, your question is answered immediately, Nintendo has shown several original titles for Wii, meaning any games you would want to list, they would be allowed to do.
4) you basically set pins up for Ian to knock down.  Almost to the point where I suspect you are an dupe account.

This thread is locked.  Nemo, if you make a thread liek this again, you are absolutely gone without even the slightest warning.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807