Author Topic: Satoru Iwata: 1959 - 2015  (Read 15187 times)

Offline nhaines

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: Satoru Iwata: 1959 - 2015
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 01:29:57 AM »
Reggie, Miyamoto, and Bill Trinen, I expect.  There are still plenty of familiar faces, and I'm not worried about those.

I wonder if Miyamoto gets promoted or if Takeda does.  Miyamoto in charge would really be something.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
This made me sad and made me catch my breath.  So sad to hear of this.  I don't know what to say.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:52 AM »
This caught me by surprise as well.

It is very rare, that a company is genuinely run by a good man.  That has made it to the top and has not become beaten down by the corporate business world.  Satoru Iwata I believe was one of those men.  He lead the company with his personal vision and he ran it with integrity. 

The entire industry has lost a great and influential leader...I can only imagine what Nintendo will without him.  I hope they hire or promote another visionary that will not just bow down to the shareholders.  It is quite sad though, because he passed away without naming a successor.  Hopefully, he had picked out someone before he passed away that can carry Nintendo into the future. 

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 03:12:40 AM »
You will say wow.

To think I heard about this from Lucariofan99 in the funhouse forum first. That may be even more shocking than the news itself.

I thought we had many more years of Iwata presentations and leaderships. First, Yamauchi's death a couple years ago and now Iwata's. It feels like the end of an era is coming upon us. I've definitely enjoyed much of Iwata's time as president. I feel he was able to help keep the Nintendo brand up and expectation of quality quite strong despite an increase in competitors and changing technology. I think the way he has handled the job has mostly proved Yamauchi to have been right to hand the job to him. (The sales of the Wii U is probably the biggest knock against him.) Whoever takes over now has one heck of a legacy to fill.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 03:45:12 AM »
what the actual ****

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 03:52:40 AM »
I opposed the things he was doing with Nintendo lately but I would never want this.  RIP Iwata.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 05:43:47 AM »
I wanted him to resign so I'm not going pretend to miss him but I'm looking forward to the next president.  Nintendo in large been very stubborn to adapt to the "modern" gamer--voice chat for one thing.

I welcome change.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:24 AM »
I was getting ready for work when I saw this and now I have tears in my eyes and the balloon trip breeze theme in my head. Such a blow to fun all around the world.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2015, 08:13:43 AM »
Nintendo, as a company, often frustrates me but Iwata, as a businessman and personality, always impressed.

Is it weird to say that having him immortalized as a Muppet is kind of cool?  I mean, Muppets are (to me) icons of intelligent humor and supreme dedication to a craft that some people think is "behind the times". Muppets appeal to all ages, and are loved by millions worldwide. Without trying to oversimplify who Iwata was and what he represented, I think that was an appropriate final appearance at E3 in those regards.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2015, 08:16:48 AM »
I can't say I got misty eyed after learning that Iwata passed since I didn't know him personally. I was certainly surprised since he was still pretty young and his health concerns, I suppose only in hindsight, were extremely understated. He did look really thin after he came back from his leave of absence. I'll definitely miss his Iwata Asks and presence in Nintendo Directs.

I think a lot of armchair CEOs gave Iwata a lot more **** than he deserved, minimizing his accomplishments while overblowing his failures. While Wii U undoubtedly flopped (or is flopping since currently on the market), Nintendo launched three of its most successful hardware products under his watch. One of the things I really appreciate and respect about Iwata's leadership was his refusal to lay off a bunch of people in the name of short-term results when Nintendo was struggling. I welcome smart change, and Nintendo certain could stand to usher in some positive changes, but if anything about the company culture Iwata fostered transitions to his successor, I hope the way he valued his employees is at the very top of that list.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »
(.:.)
 ["]
1up
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Very very sad about this. My daughter and I shed a tear this morning on hearing the news. He has left a great legacy and will be missed.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Well I now I feel so bad because I wasn't thrilled with Nintendo's leadership and figured a shakeup would be needed to get them back on track.  But I didn't want THIS!  Never has "be careful what you wish for" rang so true.

Offline Stoeff.at

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
It hit me hard when I realised how much he ment to me, just now that he is gone.

Keep on playing Mr. Iwata.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2015, 06:04:43 PM »
Right now I'm picturing Shigeru Miyamoto standing on Endor, turning and looking back at the three spirits of Gunpei Yokoi, Hiroshi Yamauchi, and Satoru Iwata.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2015, 06:22:00 PM »
This is nice. A Balloon Fight music tribute to Iwata from Hip Tanaka
https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka/dedicated-to-satoru-iwata
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline pyrokamileon

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
At some point, I'd think Nintendo fans would get sick of the anticipation and just say "screw it," but Nintendophiles are odd, odd creatures indeed.<BR>—Chris Carle, IGN

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:58 PM »
I never post here anymore but I'm pretty sure my avatar is his beautiful face creating sunshine for children all over the world to enjoy.  Hopefully the next president hates smartphone games as much as I do.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2015, 06:14:32 AM »
thats the avatar I want to see
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2015, 05:38:42 PM »
I never post here anymore but I'm pretty sure my avatar is his beautiful face creating sunshine for children all over the world to enjoy.  Hopefully the next president hates smartphone games as much as I do.
Perfect!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
https://youtu.be/aPwCcQFMzZE
Here is one of my favourite Iwata videos, he awkwardly sits down to discuss waifus with a developer of Love Plus. Smile on his face the entire time, probably realising how surreal his life was as a CEO of the world's greatest long standing game company.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
Crazy.

I remember the first time I gave my wii controller over to my niece and how she lit up with sheer joy and wonder as she tried to hit a tennis ball.

I remember reading about the stories of patients playing Wii to rehabilitate themselves.

I remember playing my NDS as I volunteered overnight at a homeless shelter.

I hope Iwata knew how much he touched people's lives.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2015, 07:42:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/aPwCcQFMzZE
Here is one of my favourite Iwata videos, he awkwardly sits down to discuss waifus with a developer of Love Plus. Smile on his face the entire time, probably realising how surreal his life was as a CEO of the world's greatest long standing game company.
He just rolls with it like it like any other game. He understood what it was about and why such a game exists. He doesn't make fun of it and see the usefulness and the new technologies it created. Most other people wouldn't show up or do it so they can flip it off. Not Iwata, who is legit pleasantly surprised by some of it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NullNoMore

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
He made my family's life happier, giving us new adventures we could trust.  I am very sad and my thoughts are with his family and colleagues.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 06:50:44 PM »
I had just heard about this the other day, it was pretty surprising. I know that he's missed some events over the past year due to "health issues," but I don't think anyone ever said what he had. I certainly don't recall anyone saying he had a kind of cancer. Plus it also seemed like he was doing better. I guess we won't be getting the full story on this one...

I didn't always agree with his decisions, but overall he was definitely good for Nintendo, and looking at his lists of accomplishments that have been popping up further confirms it. This isn't just a mournful loss for the people of Nintendo, but for Nintendo as a company as well. This may be tough to recover from, I hope they can pull it off.