Author Topic: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!  (Read 161179 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Funhouse, A wretched hive of vum and scilliany.
« Reply #400 on: April 10, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
has anybody checked out the newly released digital copies that came out today?
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2015, 03:16:33 PM »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
Welp.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »
Star Wars: The References Awaken.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »
Looks better trailer by trailer.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
Expectations still tempered.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 16, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Harrison Ford looks...old.

Why does Chewie not look any more gray? He may have a longer lifespan but they still age and their fur changes color. Or will he be immortal now?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2015, 08:54:21 PM »
That new trailer has me feeling some kind of way, its just really damn good. The opening panel with the downed Star Destoyer is just great looking.

Some interesting things the rebel alliance is now called the resistance and the Empire is now the First Order.

Marvel announced a new mini-series debuting in July to replace Princess Leia titled Lando and will be written by Charles Soule and drawn by Alex Maleev.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 16, 2015, 10:30:25 PM »
I don't remember, is Billy Dee Williams making an appearance in this film?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 18, 2015, 06:01:10 PM »

"THAT TRAILER MADE A LITTLE BIT COME OUT!"

I haven't been this hype in a very long time. It was glorious!
Harrison Ford looks...old.

Why does Chewie not look any more gray? He may have a longer lifespan but they still age and their fur changes color. Or will he be immortal now?

Wookies live a couple hundred years...and Chewie was already old 30 years ago if I remember well. He was 206 in Jedi so a couple more years won't make he change that much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 18, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »
I don't remember, is Billy Dee Williams making an appearance in this film?

Nope its been said he's in the sequel, but he was in rebels this and last season.

Speaking of which some more news

Here's the trailer for Star Wars Rebels Season 2.

A new Novel slated for November titled Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company was announced. Its written by Alexander Freed. I find it a bit odd that a game with no single player is getting a tie in novel, but its more content. It sound's like the game at one point had a story mode but for reasons couldn't be released.

Star Wars Insider has said that the Blade Squadron short story is going to become a monthly feature and once fall hits the story will jump into the same time period the Star Wars aftermath book takes place in.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2015, 08:57:56 AM »
This.

I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
You do remember that this is EA so that is a pack of lies?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:49 PM »
But a pretty damned impressive pack of lies, at least. If they could do even half as good as that it'd be pretty good.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
I guess I should change the title again...

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Fanhouse, Chewie, we're home!
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2015, 04:03:32 PM »
Best title change.

I don't know why but the font used for "The Force Awakens" looks really bad too me, if not just too damned generic. And it bothers me its not called Episode VII either. These are small things in an ocean of positivity but they do stand out. Maybe the poster will look more in line with the older movies.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 21, 2015, 07:08:00 PM »
Abrams has proven very interesting in that he's taken on franchises that have a lot of history and generally some well at capturing the look and aesthetic but never really the feel of them. I mean, Trek 1 was an interesting experiment, but the fact that they hand-waved everything with time travel and rebooting meant they could take the franchise where ever they wanted which ultimately proved to be a bad choice. See Into Darkness.

I know that Abrams has put out successful products but I'm still extremely skeptical of this movie. I worry it will be rife with references and nostalgia for the sake of appeasing old fans while making safe, Disney-friendly choices with the new characters. And Abrams has yet to prove otherwise with these trailers.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »
Using time travel in Star Trek was interesting to me because Abrams didn't need to go that route to reboot the franchise. He could have said, "**** it. Let's start over completely" yet he chose to preserve everything that happened before (and manage to score a Leonard Nimoy cameo). I'm not enough of a Star Trek fan to say whether that was a good or bad choice as I had so little investment in the original series/movies. I felt like the reboot felt like a better Star Wars movie than the prequel trilogy. It was like he decided, "Well, I can't make Star Wars so let's make Star Trek into Star Wars." I'm cautiously optimistic about episode VII. Abrams has said all the right things so far (e.g. using more practical effects over CG, taking the series back to its roots etc.). For his style of filmmaking, I think he's better suited for Star Wars anyway.

I don't share the same worries. For better or worse, Star Wars has always been self-referential. Getting the original cast back was essential in bridging the original trilogy to this new one though the focus so far has been on the new characters. I expect at least one of the original cast to die (betting on Han Solo kicking the bucket in Episode VII). No offense, but I think "safe, Disney-friendly choices" is an unfounded concern. Disney has left both Pixar and Marvel to their own devices since acquiring them. Case in point, I'm on episode 10 of Daredevil. The show is about as far from Disney-friendly as I can imagine without gratuitous sex and nudity. There was even some side-boob. I was like, "Okay, calm your tits, show. Literally."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 21, 2015, 08:07:21 PM »
Splitting the timeline the way they did was the best case scenario for going back to that era of Star Trek. I have my issues with Abrams' take on Trek, but that was the correct approach.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 22, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »
Abrams has yet to make a movie that hasn't disintegrated into nonsense mid way through the movie or on the ride home or in the case of Into Darkness, the first 5 minutes. It is partly his over reliance on references and nostalgia that both his crutch and what cripples him. Both his Treks were insults on the viewers intelligence. I expect more of the same with Star Wars because he has yet to do otherwise and given the number of opportunities he had, I don't think he is capable of anything else.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
Abrams' biggest successes is not himself or his film style, but the production studio of people who work under him. The result of Bad Robot is Fringe, Almost Human and Person of Interest. Three shows he, himself, has nothing to do with (except bear his name) but were all very well done.

I'm prepared to give Star Wars a go, but then Abrams knows how to do a trailer (or film bits that work brilliantly into one).

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
I watched the new trailer. I have to admit, I teared-up just a little, and not out of sadness. It hit some very right notes for me, a guy who's been crazy for Star Wars since age 7 when I first saw it in the theatre, along with the rest of the world that year. Back when it was still just called "Star Wars".

As for the "is Abrams any good" discussion above, I liked Super 8 a lot. I also liked the fist NuTrek a fair bit too. I haven't seen the second one yet. MI:3 was just okay but had a pretty great villain in Sarah Jessica Parker Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I also really enjoyed Cloverfield which he produced but did not direct. So, I have always been good with Abrams at the helm and am looking forward to the flick.

At the end of the day, it's just a fucking movie. Even the prequels, as dreadful as some of the bits are, had many really great bits scattered throughout them. I visit those bits on Blu Ray from time to time and I like them. The kids and I also revisit some of the dreadful bits too and get just as much enjoyment but for different reasons. We have bonded muchly over the terribleness of Star Wars over the years. Plus the worlds and mythology have such a great breadth and there are so many ways to engage with the "property" that is Star Wars, that there is always going to be something to find to like. Aspects of Star Wars that I really enjoy include the music, the artwork, designs for planets, vehicles and weapons, the sound design and sound effects, and the many stories set in the Star Wars universe that are not the movies, like the Clone Wars series and some of the comics and novels. I like the radio adaptations. I like the "making-of" books. I like the fan-films, both humourous and serious. There's a lot to "The Star Wars" and with the new movie coming out, there will be even more ancillary aspects to enjoy. In many ways "Star Wars" has outgrown it's own origins.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 22, 2015, 05:39:56 PM »

Is poor Lando about to be stabbed by Norman Bates in that picture? Why is he sitting with his feet up in front of a shower curtain, anyway?
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 22, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
It's not a shower curtain and it's the shadow of someone in front of him holding a blaster, it appears.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 22, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »
designs for planets,
You have to be shitting me on this. Single biome planets is good design? Also **** desert planet, no reason that one planet should ever show up that much.