Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545137 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1200 on: May 16, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »
2 couples in a Funhouse overnite?

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: May 16, 2010, 12:24:12 AM »
You know what we should all do is have a NWR Critics Theater 3000 (only it'll have a much more clever name :P: : ) where we all pick a movie once every week, or every other week* and we all watch it, then we all comment on the parts of the movie worth commenting about** while also rating the movie.

It might work best if some of us could time the start of the movie as if it were on TV, but an ongoing discussion about one particular movie at a time could be interesting.

*we pick a movie on a schedule that works for the majority that wants to participate, I'm only making a suggestion at this point.
**nit-picking movies to death could be pretty fun especially when we all shred parts of the movie that the rest of us might not have noticed anything wrong with.

Sounds kind of fun.  I'm in, if you all decide to do it.  Anyway...

Constantine - 7/10 - Wow, I was expecting a dumb Keanu Reeves action movie and I got...actually, I'm not quite sure what I got.  Apparently, this movie is based on a DC Comics character, which from the looks of the movie is some kind of Noir series about an antihero fighting off the minions of Heaven and Hell.  Interesting premise, but man I can't help but feel that this movie wasn't written for me, the average viewer.  Going by the constant unexplained story elements; large cast of characters; and abilities and symbols seemingly made up as the story goes along; and a story seemingly told in media res, this movie was only made for the die-hard comic book geeks.  I actually kind of liked the movie and especially liked the world they created here, but there's a lot to take in with this movie and it can be very hard to follow (I still don't understand the significance of the 2 sisters, as well as how the Spear of Destiny's apparently the only thing capable of opening the doorway).  It's also kind of a hard movie to watch because the pacing's all over the place.  The special effects are very nice, though, and some of the casting's very inspired (I especially liked they guy who plays Lucifer).  At times, though, I'm not sure whether the movie wants me to take it seriously or not, such as when Constantine pulls out that ridiculous cross-shaped Tommy Gun (a gun that wishes it were as awesome as this) that fires golden bullets that apparently instant-kills demons.  This is just a very odd movie, one that takes itself too seriously to be enjoyed as a fun, dumb action movie and one that's not cohesive enough to enjoyed as a serious noir adventure story.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: May 16, 2010, 06:38:10 AM »
its like imdb but better

I was watching this movie called Funhouse today 6/10, and I was thinking about how Id love to Mystery Science Theater it. It starts off so well, but then it gets dumb as **** and i begin to hope people die.

Someone made a movie out of the NWR Funhouse?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 16, 2010, 05:20:58 PM »
its like imdb but better

I was watching this movie called Funhouse today 6/10, and I was thinking about how Id love to Mystery Science Theater it. It starts off so well, but then it gets dumb as **** and i begin to hope people die.

Someone made a movie out of the NWR Funhouse?

I'd wait in line for the opening of that movie.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1204 on: May 16, 2010, 06:42:29 PM »
Iron Man 2: Stuffed with Content/10

The focus is coming off individual characters. It's clear that Marvel has a series of movies in mind here. Way too much setting-up for the next few movies. Robert Downey Dr. is always a hoot, and I really liked how he and ... Rhodes were shown basically in the suit this time.

How'd Rhodes learn to use that suit so well?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: May 16, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
there are a couple of B movies on Hulu..so that could be a start
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: May 16, 2010, 08:04:27 PM »
You know what we should all do is have a NWR Critics Theater 3000 (only it'll have a much more clever name :P) where we all pick a movie once every week, or every other week* and we all watch it, then we all comment on the parts of the movie worth commenting about** while also rating the movie.

It might work best if some of us could time the start of the movie as if it were on TV, but an ongoing discussion about one particular movie at a time could be interesting.

*we pick a movie on a schedule that works for the majority that wants to participate, I'm only making a suggestion at this point.
**nit-picking movies to death could be pretty fun especially when we all shred parts of the movie that the rest of us might not have noticed anything wrong with.

I'd actually be down with that since I watch at least a couple movies a week.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1207 on: May 16, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
I do too. Sounds fun. I recommend Puppet Master for our first edition. It's on Netflix Instant, and it's an 80's horror movie with bad puppet work. How bad can it be?

*very bad*
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 16, 2010, 08:36:41 PM »
its on hulu too, so im definitely down for puppet master..not to be confused with the puppet masters

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »
I suggest "The Labryinth"

1. cuz it was directed by Jim Henson
2. cuz it has muppets
3. cuz David Bowies in it

And 4. cuz I've never seen it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: May 17, 2010, 12:00:40 AM »
So we've got 2 movie suggestions, the 1st - Puppet Master (which I've never actually watched) is on Hulu & Netflix, which means everyone could watch it

and we have Labyrinth, which is only on Netflix.

So when does everyone want to start and what should we call the thread?

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 17, 2010, 12:21:20 AM »
So we've got 2 movie suggestions, the 1st - Puppet Master (which I've never actually watched) is on Hulu & Netflix, which means everyone could watch it

and we have Labyrinth, which is only on Netflix.

So when does everyone want to start and what should we call the thread?

I'm for Labyrinth, a movie I've never seen as well and shouldn't be that hard to acquire.  I have some unfinished business in 3D Dot Game Heroes I'd like to attend to the next few days (damn you, Moonblade and your ridiculous unlock requirements!), so how's Tuesday/Wednesday?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 17, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
i own Labyrinth, and that would be on my list..but its like a nostalgic favorite. On the flip side there is Dark Crystal which is similar to Labyrinth except I didn't watch it as a kid..so i don't get all nostalgic over it, and when I did watch it...I thought it was weird as ****. On the David Bowie issue...aside from his music...my love of David Bowie comes from Labyrinth. On the other hand, last time I watched it..it wasn't as good as I remember.

Another suggestion is a Schumacher Batman movie.. Batman and Robin is terrible. On the other hand its kinda interesting in how bad it is. If you look hard enough you can get a 4 pack of the 89-97 series of Batman for 13.99+ tax at Wal-mart. Speaking of which, Batman Returns sucks alot more than I remembered too. Danny Devito is still great. Pfeifer is cheesey hammy ****.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:13:15 AM by ThePerm »

Online broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:45 AM »
i own Labyrinth, and that would be on my list..but its like a nostalgic favorite. On the flip side there is Dark Crystal which is similar to Labyrinth except I didn't watch it as a kid..so i don't get all nostalgic over it, and when I did watch it...I thought it was weird as ****. On the David Bowie issue...aside from his music...my love of David Bowie comes from Labyrinth. On the other hand, last time I watched it..it wasn't as good as I remember.

Another suggestion is a Schumacher Batman movie.. Batman and Robin is terrible. On the other hand its kinda interesting in how bad it is. If you look hard enough you can get a 4 pack of the 89-97 series of Batman for 13.99+ tax at Wal-mart. Speaking of which, Batman Returns sucks alot more than I remembered too. Danny Devito is still great. Pfeifer is cheesey hammy ****.

The problem with going with Batman & Robin is that the bar on mocking that movie has already been set here, and no one's going to top that so it's pointless to even try.  ;)

I'd be open to either Labyrinth or Dark Crystal since I haven't seen either, more the latter than the former because not even the Nostalgia Critic/Chick has tackled Dark Crystal yet, so I'd pretty much be going into that fresh.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 17, 2010, 02:35:26 AM »
I liked The Dark Crystal when I was a kid, but I watched it not too long ago and that movie was so boring. One of those movies I wish I had left to the semi-fond memories of my childhood.

I'm up for either movie (Labyrinth or Puppet Master) since they are both on Netflix.
The Dark Crystal is on Netflix too BTW, but I'd prefer many other movies before we got to that one.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 17, 2010, 04:17:54 AM »
Labyrinth would be fun. Never seen Dark Crystal but it is in my Netflix queue.

When my friends and I were watching Labyrinth there was a part where the girl is running through the labyrinth and the background music had a familiar bass beat like an NES game I knew. I spontaneously started singing the Super Mario Brothers level 1-2 music 'da-da-du-du-da-da' and it fit in perfectly with the beat. Everyone quickly joined in and we all sang a few rounds of the song together. Hilarity ensued.

You could call the thread 'Mystery Funhouse Theater'.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 17, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »
I don't consider it a movie, but I watched "Zeitgeist - The Movie". It was interesting. Yup.

I just recently saw it too! it was pretty interesting, but not as interesting as my brother hyped it up to be. Scary part is, i had a dream about it a few days later..

There's a second Zeitgeist movie by the way, Zeitgeist 2 Addendum, which I just watched and I liked it a lot more than the first one.

Yeah, funny you mention that because my brother just recently informed me. I can't remember which one we saw though, I feel like he made us watch the 2nd part before the first. I'll probably check them both out again soon.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 17, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »
The Deal - 8/10  William H. Macy plays a man suicidally bored with his pathetic Hollywood Z-list existence, which is so terrible that his car won't even run long enough to kill him.  He only staves off further attempts by entertaining himself by playing the entire Hollywood machine for a bunch of suckers.  Every scene in which he plays someone is a perfect 10, but part way through the first half I found myself starting to grow bored.  Fortunately, there's a big plot turn (that the blurb in my onscreen guide spoiled), and things got moving again.  The blurb in the guide made it sound like a different kind of movie, so it benefited from being a more intelligent comedy than I expected, too.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1218 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
Having recently seen Labyrinth, I can assure you all that it is a terrible film.

David Bowie is a plus.
You'd THINK that Jennifer Connelly would be a plus, too, but she spends the entire movie being whiney.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
Having recently seen Labyrinth, I can assure you all that it is a terrible film.

David Bowie is a plus.
You'd THINK that Jennifer Connelly would be a plus, too, but she spends the entire movie being whiney.

I too have recently watched this one again.
It falls under the same category as Dark Crystal, only this movie was more entertaining but still should have stayed a fond memory of my childhood. That said, it would be a good candidate for being picked apart and made fun of.

I'm gonna make the thread in the Funhouse(using Stratos' suggested name) and link to it here.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 17, 2010, 02:38:39 PM »
My dad tried taking me to see Labyrinth when I was little.  The goblins in the intro scared me so much I refused to watch any more, so the manager let us go into the next theater.  I think they were showing Hot Shots in there.

I finally watched Labyrinth a few years ago, and I kind of liked it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 17, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »
Sooo...when is this new movie critic thread starting? Or should I start singing 'Dance Magic Dance' until someone starts it?
My Game Collection

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:58 PM »
Soon. I was about to make it earlier, but I was trying to do something special with it.
(I obviously am procrstinating far too much and need to be more productive)

1st movie will be Puppet Master though and the start watching date will be Wed. or Thursday with commentary throughout the following week or two.

How should we format it? 1 movie a week?
a set time for every to start watching and commenting?

I'll start on it right now though so we can get this going.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1223 on: May 17, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
Yes. Watch the movie one week, comment on it for a week, start the next movie the following week.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 17, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
MYSTERY FUNHOUSE THEATER!!!

I made this thread about 6 times, but the stupid laptop I'm using keeps shutting off in the middle of typing.
I finally started typing in WordPad and saving after every batch of text, and after several restart..... here we are.

I'm tossing this laptop off the roof of the tallest building I can find as son as I get a replacement.