Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537686 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #1175 on: May 11, 2010, 02:47:51 AM »
I really despise holidays when my folks are in town (which is sadly nearly all of them), because they always mean one thing: having to endure "family time" watching a usually thoroughly-dreadful piece of cinematic garbage that "looked interesting" to my folks in the Redbox machine.  It's usually pure torture for the better part of a day, especially since it usually takes my family an average of 2 hours to get through every 1 hour of a movie due to constant stops (and in the case of Mothers' day, having to sit through the tedium that is my mom forcing me through page after Facebook page of wedding photos of childhood friends I haven't seen since I was a child).  Just a couple movies here from the last few gatherings (Mothers' Day and Easter):

Marley & Me - 7/10 - Honestly, this one wasn't too bad, and it's based on a true story.  It's also probably the only decent movie I've ever seen Owen Wilson in.  Where it suffers is that....well...it's a Hollywood dog movie that doesn't involve a dog saving the day.  It sadly ends just about how you'd expect, which is hard for me to sit through (especially since the movie telegraphs it coming long before the end).  The movie also suffers from some painfully slow pacing.

Mean Girls - 5/10 - A perfectly average and formulaic movie starring Lindsay Lohan and the painfully unfunny comedians "stars" of the most recent crop of Saturday Night Live rejects comedians.  Lohan is alright, and apparently this movie was her last role as a decent person.  The person, oddly enough, who stands out is Tina Fey, probably the only member of the most recent cast of SNL comedians I actually like, in a quiet role as a simple mathematics teacher.  I don't know, I suppose you'd have to have been a petty teenage girl at some point to really "get" this movie, but my biggest problem with it is that it follows the oh-so-typical narrative arc of "nerd joins popular kids, becomes a jerk herself, and then redeems herself once she learns the power of friendship; love; the Heart of the Cards; etc."  It's not a bad movie, just nothing special.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 11, 2010, 02:56:54 AM »
Thanks for giving birth to me, Mom!

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 11, 2010, 03:06:16 AM »
You created me mom so I guess your to blame from the love that I hear just from hearing your name your tender as cornbeef and warm as pastrami, I Wuv my mommy
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:18 AM »
I liked Mean Girls. It get an automatic bonus point because if Lindsey Lohan had still looked like that today, she wouldn't be the hot mess that she is now. that was the last time she looked good and 1 of the only 2 movies I've ever seen her in that were watchable(Specifically to stare at her.... what happened to you Lindsey!??).

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #1179 on: May 11, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
Four Christmases Meh/10

Forgettable. Kristin Chenoweth, as usual, is the high point. The film is otherwise dominated by Vince Vaughn (who is genuinely funny) and Reese Witherspoon's chin.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »
Four Christmases Meh/10

Forgettable. Kristin Chenoweth, as usual, is the high point. The film is otherwise dominated by Vince Vaughn (who is genuinely funny) and Reese Witherspoon's chin.

Ugh, that was the "family time" movie I had to sit through last Christmas, and it is truly horrible.  It's a shame, too, because the cast is fantastic.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 13, 2010, 12:05:09 AM »
I don't consider it a movie, but I watched "Zeitgeist - The Movie". It was interesting. Yup.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:05 AM »
Four Christmases Meh/10

Ugh, that was the "family time" movie I had to sit through last Christmas, and it is truly horrible.  It's a shame, too, because the cast is fantastic.

I'm glad my folks have much better tastes in movies than your folks. Dad just picked up Avatar. Even on holidays the movie choices tend to be of higher quality.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 13, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Starship Troopers 8/10

its funny because this movie works on multiple levels. On one hand its a b-movie filled with gore, and bug blasting. On the other hand its like a summer blockbuster type movie. On another hand its about desensitization to violence, and fascism. So, i bought it for 99cents on vhs at a thrift store, but today i just noticed it on hulu.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 13, 2010, 07:51:36 PM »
Kick-Ass

FUCKING EPIC/10

Who directed this movie? Is was masterfully done. Nolan could take a few pointers from the fight scenes because I could see everything at all times. I swear I must have rewound one scene ten times. Fucking epic.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: May 13, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »
so you have your own personal movie theater or do you wear an eye patch Unagi? :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:05 PM »
Kick-Ass

FUCKING EPIC/10

Who directed this movie? Is was masterfully done. Nolan could take a few pointers from the fight scenes because I could see everything at all times. I swear I must have rewound one scene ten times. Fucking epic.

The guy who directed that movie is the same director currently signed on for directing Xmen: First Class

which is the same guy that was signed on to direct Xmen III(after current director left to abort Superman Returns for us) until he backed out at the last minute and left us with Bret Ratner to butcher and then stitch back together the 3rd Xmen movie.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: May 14, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »
Bryan Singer is not directing First Class.  He was initially going to but stood down to producer instead for other (forgotten) reasons.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: May 14, 2010, 05:13:47 PM »
I didn't say Brian Singer was directing Xmen: First Class. reread the post.

I said the Kick Ass director is signed on to direct Xmen 1st Class. He was also signed on to direct Xmen III (after current direct [B. Singer] left to abort Superman Refunds [my ticket price]) until he backed out at the last minute and left us with Bret Ratner to butcher and then stitch back together the 3rd Xmen movie.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: May 14, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »
Chaplin 8.8/10 **** J. Edgar Hoover, that guy ruined so many lives...

its on Hulu

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: May 14, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
Legion - 7/10

This movie was better than I thought it would be. It was a holy war type of scenario with an angel coming to earth to protect the innocent. Special effects were surprisingly good and one scene made me think HawkMan or ArchAngel. I expected something mildly entertaining enough to sit through, but it was better than that.

Daybreakers - 6.5/10

I was sorta excited to see this since I like Vampire movies, but this was disappointing.The effect were good and the resolution was actually kinda funny if you think about it, but I just don't like the way the "fix" for the movies main problem is handled. It's about a world were just about everyone has become a Vampire and they farm humans for blood. But they are running low on humans so they need a "TrueBlood" substitute otherwise the Vampire race is doomed to starve. spoiler  on how they solve the problem and why it's kinda funny they "cure" to vampirism is to survive a sunlite bath basically burning the vampire out of you. you are instantly cured and there is no burn marks or scars or damage of any type. Once you are cured and turned back into a human, your blood is now the cure. Why is this kinda funny? Near the end, the Vampires surround the cured human who now has cure blood and the nearest Vampires attack him since human blood is so scarce, they can't pass up the opportunity to get it when they can. Problem is that once you drink the blood, moments later you become a human too, so all the Vampires behind them noticed that they turned human, and attacked them, so on and so on and so on until there where just a few cured humans standing around wondering what the hell just happened to them.
Unfortunately I found that to be the only thing I liked about how they handled the "fix" for the situation. Vampire fanatics might like, everyone probably not.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: May 14, 2010, 10:43:36 PM »
I don't consider it a movie, but I watched "Zeitgeist - The Movie". It was interesting. Yup.

I just recently saw it too! it was pretty interesting, but not as interesting as my brother hyped it up to be. Scary part is, i had a dream about it a few days later..

Ironman 2 - 8/10

I liked it. I wanna party with Stark, that scene was the best haha. It did feel a lil lacking in story however, but whatever I wasn't expecting much from it.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »
isolated from the rest of the movie, that scene is an 11/10

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:57 AM »

I just recently saw it too! it was pretty interesting, but not as interesting as my brother hyped it up to be. Scary part is, i had a dream about it a few days later..

There's a second Zeitgeist movie by the way, Zeitgeist 2 Addendum, which I just watched and I liked it a lot more than the first one.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: May 15, 2010, 09:20:26 PM »
Saw (I) - 9/10 - I was over at my best friend's house today, helping him hook up and get used to his new PS3, when I noticed his brother had quite a collection of movies I had never seen, but had at one time been vaguely interested in.  So while I was there, I borrowed a number of them to take a small break from my recent 3D Dot Game Heroes binges, and this was the first movie.  Honestly, I've heard really terrible things about the Saw series, namely that it's yet another in a long line of extremely popular, relatively low-budget horrible horror movies that managed to take what little creative spark it had and run it into the ground.  However, watching this first movie, I can definitely understand how this series gained traction, because this movie is excellent.  I really like how slowly the movie builds to its climax, yet it never succumbs to losing its tension thanks to a very well-integrated cuts between multiple timelines and an interesting premise.  The acting is also excellent, though it tends to ramp up into almost cartoonish levels of cheesy overacting by the end.  In fact, the ending was really my only problem with this movie, as it's a blatant tease for a long line of sequels.  I plan on checking out the second movie, but from what I've heard I'd better stop there.

I was almost tempted to drop it a few points due to the presence of multiple Lost cast members, but that would just be silly.  ;)

In case you're curious, the other two movies I borrowed were The Last Samurai and Constantine.  I'll be getting to those shortly.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: May 15, 2010, 11:26:40 PM »
yep no point in watching past saw 2...the thing is though, that they all integrate together..so theres like a huge continuum, but it gets way too complex. By the 4th movie I don't see how anyone could care whats going on anymore.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:43 PM »
I've seen them all.... I've lost track of what was going on and can not comment on the continuum of the story sense I obviously didn't follow it all that well (too long of a break between watching sequels mixed with watching too many movies in general).

After the 3rd one it just started to seem very forced and I just wasn't buying it anymore. Yet I'll probably watch the next one and the one after that, if there is one.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: May 15, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
exactly. i can't comment on the continuum either because it went over my head for the reasons you listed. Not only that but the saw series is one that throws about 20 red herrings at you per movie. By the time youve seen x number of movies you've seen 20 * x amount of red herrings.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: May 16, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
You know what we should all do is have a NWR Critics Theater 3000 (only it'll have a much more clever name :P) where we all pick a movie once every week, or every other week* and we all watch it, then we all comment on the parts of the movie worth commenting about** while also rating the movie.

It might work best if some of us could time the start of the movie as if it were on TV, but an ongoing discussion about one particular movie at a time could be interesting.

*we pick a movie on a schedule that works for the majority that wants to participate, I'm only making a suggestion at this point.
**nit-picking movies to death could be pretty fun especially when we all shred parts of the movie that the rest of us might not have noticed anything wrong with.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: May 16, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »
its like imdb but better

I was watching this movie called Funhouse today 6/10, and I was thinking about how Id love to Mystery Science Theater it. It starts off so well, but then it gets dumb as **** and i begin to hope people die.