Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1544548 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #950 on: March 09, 2010, 02:17:42 PM »
lol Terminator 1? Are you crazy, that's like the most boring movie of all-time.

Yeah, I'm not going to go that far, but Terminator 2 blows that movie out of the water so hard and so easily that I can't possibly go higher than an 8/10 for the first movie.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 09, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
2012 was a pretty fun watch, it reminded me of transformers 2, but it didn't absolutely suck because the characters were more fleshed out
I pull out alphabetical grades for this one. I give it a B
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »
Black Dynamite

8.5/10

Why the .5? Because they left out the scene with the kid that was going to be President... well they did have the scene in the deleted scenes extras, but it's just not the same.

Otherwise, I really liked this movie. It came out quite good for a satire.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #953 on: March 10, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
I have been on a Baseball movie kick lately.
I saw Major League and The Sandlot.

Major League I would give a 4 out of 5 because the second one is better. Funny and inspirational.

The Sandlot I would give a 5 out of 5. Excellent movie.

There was another Baseball Movie that I wanted to watch but I don't recall the name of it but I remember this.

There was a kid that had a super fast throw. The team was the Chicago Cubs that he was on. Daniel Stern was one of the actors. Anybody know what movie I am talking about?

Edit:Nevermind I found out. Rookie of the Year was the movie.

Edit 2: Just finished Angels in the Outfield(The Disney version not the black and white version)
Excellent Movie and enjoyable to watch.5 out of 5.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:30:33 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 11, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
Evangelion 1.11 - You are (Not) Alone - Alright, this is going to get wordy, but I have to get this out of the way: I have a pretty big love/hate relationship with the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series.  For everything I love about what it brought to anime (thought-provoking writing; extremely striking visual sequences; and a fearless embrace of flawed characters and the risque), I have things I equally despise that it brought to anime (soul-less, objectified women [read: Rei]; whiny, emo main characters; and a love for random and meaningless religious symbolism that would unfortunately get utterly embraced by video games).  I liked the original series enough to buy all the original DVDs and their remastered incarnations, but I've never thought it was the masterpiece that apparently 99.9% of anime fans think it is.  If you're unfamiliar with Evangelion somehow and want a video game equivalent, think Final Fantasy VII and its impact on the industry and you have a fair idea what I'm talking about.

That said, why did I buy right on the spot this Blu-Ray release of the first of 4 theatrical remakes of the Evangelion TV series?  Well, honestly it's because I'd read reviews of the second Evangelion movie (2.0 - You Can [Not] Advance), and I saw that these remakes seem determined to strip everything I don't like about the series right out.  Having just finished my viewing of the movie, I can say that the creators fell into a very unfortunate trap: most of this movie was made for the die-hard Evangelion fans who would have a fit if this weren't a shot-for-shot remake of the original series.  The first 1 hr. 10 minutes of this movie is pretty much exactly (including the goofy **** like Shinji accidentally groping naked Rei) what you've already seen in the first 6 episodes of the TV series.  It's reanimated to current animation standards and the new English dub tends to say things a little differently, but for the most part there's nothing new here.

Then something amazing happens in those last 30-40 minutes: the creators threw everything but the basic plot out the window and start diverging.  Plot elements that don't show up till nearly the end of the series get brought full center, interesting foreshadowing starts getting dropped, and the movie goes from moderately entertaining to outright amazing.  The pinnacle of this achievement is what they've done with Angel #6: what was a wierd and lame diamond-shaped Angel in the original series has become a CG incarnation made of pure awesome, constantly shape-shifting and contorting itself as it blasts the **** out of anything it sees.  The attack on the Angel is significantly different now, with an emphasis on Shinji standing up and being a ****ing man, which if you know anything about the original series is a dramatic improvement.  This entire sequence is visually stunning and a strong reminder of days gone by when I was much less cynical about anime than I am now.

As for the Blu-Ray itself, it is flawless from a visual standpoint, and the new dub is a big improvement over the old one (and a strong reminder just how far we've come in anime voice acting in 15 years).  Sure, most of the old actors have been replaced but the performances are largely (with the exception of Gendo Ikari, whose replacement is nowhere near as good) much better with much more subtle delivery.  I'm definitely waiting with great anticipation for the second Evangelion movie as it enters the Licensing Hell that its Japanese creators have deemed it deserves.

Rating:

1st Hour: 5/10
Finale: 10/10
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:10:56 AM by broodwars »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 11, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
I'm surprised people are buying these Evangelion remakes. It's just the same thing over and over, with a few little changes to please the whining fans. Anyway...

I watched Up. It was great. 8.5/10 in my opinion, and I didn't even mind the talking dogs.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 12, 2010, 01:27:14 AM »
The Big Boss (AKA Fists of Fury) 6/10

This movie is from 1971. Bruce Lee's in it. This movie's so bad it's fucking hilarious. The fight scenes are really poor. The last fight was ok, but nothing special.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 12, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
Fist of Fury (AKA The Chinese Connection) 7/10

I liked this movie a lot more than The Big Boss. There was more of Bruce Lee fighting in this movie than in The Big Boss which was quite pleasing to see, but the nunchaku moments were the best. The story was so much better too.

The one interesting note I took from this DVD was from the interview they had with Bruce Lee's stunt. Apparently, or so I figure, Bruce Lee's acrobatic skills weren't that developed. That's why they used a stunt, duh. However because of his excellent physical condition in both strength and flexibility, I thought that acrobatic skills would be a no brainer.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:11 PM »
I saw the Alice in Wonderland movie. Fantastic art style and I liked the whole idea of doing something different with the familar characters, but the movie was slow. Very, very slow. And the 3D lost it cool-factor after 20 or so minutes.  Also, did they have to call in "Alice in Wonderland"?

Oh, 6.5/10
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 13, 2010, 02:28:09 PM »
Would you rate it higher if you didn't have to pay for it? As in, the imax ticket being paid for you?
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 13, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
The Crazies: 5/10

dull, but not boring enough to walk out on (especially not at these ticket prices..)

She's Out Of My Leage: 7.5/10

Entertaining, cute date movie for sure. Had some pretty funny moments, but i don't think it's "the funniest movie since the Hangover" as tv spots are claiming (and I'm one of the people that thinks the Hangover was WAY overrated). Oh and the lead acctress in it isn't even that hot in my eyes.. when she undresses, sure the bodies kicken but whats up with her face? The bitchy friend, now SHE was attractive. Too bad she doesnt undress in the movie.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:47:43 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 13, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
Would you rate it higher if you didn't have to pay for it? As in, the imax ticket being paid for you?

If I hadn't paid for the movie at all, or I had went to see the 2D print of the film instead?

Either way I don't think it wouldn't have affected how I rated it. The movie still had pacing issues.  I love the Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking glass lore, but the movie was just too slow during the middle to keep my attention.

Also, I had a hard time believing Crispin Glover was in the movie because he had such a large part. :P
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 13, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
Alice in Wonderland looks so damn ugly. All the character designs are horrible and I'm surprised Disney didn't scrap the whole thing and go with a different director once they saw the twisted abortion that Tim Burton was committing to their treasured franchise visually.

I can't speak for the actual content of the film since I haven't seen it, but how can you take the actors that you have and make them just look so unappealing from a visual standpoint and then expect this movie to attract families when Johnny Depp looks worse than most of the clowns that already give kids nightmares.

The Crazies: 5/5

dull, but not boring enough to walk out on (especially not at these ticket prices..)

? Dull..... but what? 5 out of 5? I'm confused.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:47:32 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 13, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
5/10 maybe?

I wanted to go see Alice in Wonderland with my GF and finally convinced her we should see it but now it sounds like she'll hate it. Maybe I'll go see it with a friend and go see something else with her like 'She's out of my league'.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: March 13, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »
The Crazies: 5/5

? Dull..... but what? 5 out of 5? I'm confused.

Ooops. I was so caught in my mediocre rage, all i could hit was the 5 key...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #965 on: March 14, 2010, 12:16:45 AM »
Alice in Wonderland: HATED IT. I will say no more.

Shutter Island: DIDN'T LIKE IT. Too much that didn't have anything to do with the main story, and the ending wasn't practical or satisfying.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: March 14, 2010, 01:34:45 AM »
The Box 7/10, it starts off fine, but tailends after it passes the end of the twilight zone episode.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: March 14, 2010, 04:44:07 AM »
Let the Right One In.

Creepy Swedish horror movie that is not really horror. Very interesting, still processing it. Unscored

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: March 14, 2010, 05:08:38 AM »
Did you watch the original release or the english DVD rerelease?

I ask because one has the correct translation(Theatrical) and the other (US DVD release) doesn't.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: March 14, 2010, 08:26:39 AM »
I think I watched the original release because that was the dialog when I looked at the screen caps online.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: March 14, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
Percy Jackson

Gay/10

If it wasn't for the black fawn dude, I wouldn't have enjoyed this movie in the slightest. Rosario Dawson is still banging though...

Ninja Assassin

5/10

Plot SUCKED --- Action AWESOME
Acting SUCKED --- Action AWESOME
Police SUCK --- NINJAS AWESOME
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: March 14, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »
Se7en - 7/10 (really, did you think I could give it anything else?  ;) ) - I've heard a lot about this movie in various discussions of Heavy Rain, so I thought I'd check it out.  Hey, it has Morgan Freeman, one of my favorite actors of All Time and the owner of a voice I could listen to for hours!  Hey, it has Brad Pitt and Gweneth Paltrow, two actors I generally like!  Hey, it's a mystery thriller about a serial killer with especially elaborate ways of killing his victims and a Noir style!  By all rights, I should adore this movie...but I can't.  The movie takes ages to go anywhere, Brad Pitt's acting ranges from passable to laughably poor (especially at the end), there are numerous plot tangents that don't seem to lead anywhere (anything involving Gweneth Paltrow), the villain is a total stereotype that never gets fleshed-out beyond his base motivations, and the ending is total ****.  I understand the point the ending's trying to make, but it just ends up leaving me incredibly unsatisfied.  Worth seeing for Morgan Freeman alone, though.

And, yes, Heavy Rain did indeed take quite a few ideas from this movie.  And, incidentally, what's up with the stupid way the movie's title is spelled?  It makes it a royal pain in the ass to google, as some sites leave it as "Se7en" and others as "Seven".

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: March 14, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
Way of the Dragon (AKA Return of the Dragon) 8/10

The last fight? Bruce Lee (you can see in this movie how defined his muscles are... good lord, and he's crazy fast) Vs Chuck Norris (what a hairy chest he has hahahaha) Vs kitten (lol cats started in 1973).

One thing to note that I find hilarious, yet quite efficient for the takedown, is that Bruce Lee sure goes for the nuts lol, and he's done so too in the first 2 movies.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: March 15, 2010, 03:28:57 AM »
Sherlock Holmes - 8/10 - Well, this movie was something of a surprise.  I had nothing but contempt for this movie when I saw the original trailer, as it looked like a betrayal of everything about the Sherlock Holmes character I had grown fond of over the years.  The trailer made it look like this was going to be an action movie, with Sherlock being something of a James Bond/Indiana Jones-type character.  Well, after seeing  the movie I can safely say that of my problems with this movie, Robert Downey Jr.'s take on Holmes is not among them.  He's arrogant, intelligent, borderline-insane, socially inept, and has a natural comradery with (a strangely young & fit) Dr. Watson.  In other words, he's Sherlock Holmes, though a more-blunt form of the character.  My only problem with his performance is that he tends to speak many of his lines just under his breath, which makes him very difficult to understand at times and making me think I needed subtitles.  Up until the end, I had serious issues with the plot (especially the way it pretends to be "science vs. the supernatural", a growing trend with modern Holmes stories), but those got resolved to my satisfaction in the final 10 minutes of the movie in a very Holmes-ian way.

My big problem with this movie is that this is a fairly straightforward story that is hard to follow only because it is edited in a confusing way.   In fact, the movie in general seems to be constantly at war with its cinematographer.  The story is clearly slow, methodical, and reliant on the audience paying attention to small details...but the cinematography is fond of randomly speeding up to portray it as a much-faster movie, which makes catching those small details and dialog difficult.  This is especially annoying in the fight scenes where the movie likes to slow down and speed up time at random intervals that remind me irritatingly of that POS Watchmen movie.  The movie is also somewhat inconsistent in how much familiarity it seems to assume we have with the character.  For instance, it assumes we know who Holmes, Watson, and Lestrade are and directly references previous Holmes adventures in places, but for some bizarre reason thinks we need to see the same lengthy sequence twice just to "let us in" on the rather obvious fact that Holmes in one scene is in disguise.

The movie does get a gold star for an excellent set-up for the next movie, though.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:31:14 AM by broodwars »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: March 15, 2010, 06:49:45 AM »
I too was worried that the Sherlock movie was betraying the roots. Nice to hear otherwise. I'll have to check it out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast