Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1545413 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #900 on: February 15, 2010, 06:21:03 PM »
Well, it looks like I've let all this Ah-nold discussion go on long enough before posting some necessary links courtesy of the Nostalgia Critic's recent "Arnold month":

Batman & Robin
Jingle All the Way
Last Action Hero
Commando
Junior
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
End of Days

And remember...Put that Cookier Down Now!  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #901 on: February 17, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »
Caveman - 6 out of 10. Ringo Star, Shelly Long, Denis Quaid, among others. Silly little movie with stop motion dinosaurs. The story is quick to the point and in doing so leaves out a reason to care about these people. But the sight gags and tom foolery incite some laughs for the little kid looking for a way out.

Planet Hulk - 5 out of 10. The opening sequence was lame. What was the point? To show that the Hulk was arriving to fullfil a prophecy? Oh, what a coincidence. And the dude just happened to be drawing a radioactive symbol. Whatever. It would have been better to replace Beta Ray's apperance with the Hulk's, make the rock creatures come across Hulk on Earth and he follow them through the portal. Because Beta Ray was completely useless. I did find the action entertaining. I also enjoyed the episode of Xmen that can be found elsewhere on the disk.

3:10 To Yuma - 8 out of 10. Christian Bale and Russel Crowe. I don't have the original to compare to, but as a little western flick, I enjoyed it. The chemistry between the characters was there. The little plot twists are there. I didn't have anything to complain about while watching and even shed a tear at the ending. Its not perfect because the story drags at points and it can be rather cliche. I didn't mind, but some things didn't need to be there, kinda like the writers wanted to remind the audience they are indeed watching a western. But who knows, maybe the original helped create those cliche moments.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #902 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:28 AM »
I love Caveman. It's so campy. The T.rex looks like a frog.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 21, 2010, 12:22:34 AM »
yeah its hard for me to rate Caveman since its always entertaining

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever 8/10 this movie sat on the shelf for a long time with no release, i was told it was going to be abysmal compared to the first movie, which was a B movie, but in a cult classic sort of way. As much as i liked the first movie, i was sort of dreading how bad this could be. However, this one ended up being pretty entertaining, and I would probably watch it again.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 21, 2010, 12:58:58 AM »
Surrogates Bruce Willis is always watchable. Interesting premise, wish it was explored a bit more. Felt somewhat dumbed down. 2 point 5 stars

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 28, 2010, 04:30:23 PM »
Twin Peaks:  Fire Walk With Me

1 star

What a shitty movie.  Doesn't answer any questions left open after the demise of the television show.  Worse, it isn't even interesting.  Complete fan service and yet somehow manages to be a complete waste of time.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 28, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths - 8/10 - Quite possibly the best of the DC Animated movies so far and it's quite fun, but it's ultimately forgettable and the Justice League TV series did this story better (and, amusingly, this movie is quite blatantly based on an unused script for a Justice League TV movie that takes place between Justice League and Unlimited).

The Princess and the Frog - 6/10 - Well, it's nice to see Disney doing traditional cel-style animation again.  Pity they couldn't have chosen a better script for their first project, because this movie's story is cringe-inducing.  Getting the good stuff out of the way first, I really enjoyed Keith David's Shadow Man.  He steals every scene he's in (along with the movie's budget, seemingly), has one of the two good songs in the movie, feels very original for a Disney villain (he's a schemer who manipulates his enemies rather than outright fighting them), and he's fracking Keith David!  The animation's also very good and occasionally spectacular (usually during the 2 aforementioned "good songs").

Unfortunately, this movie has a mediocre story with forgettable (and racially-insulting...seriously, Disney will release this movie, but not Song of the South?) characters; horrible music (aside from "Friends on the Other Side" and "Dig a Little Deeper"); is full of Big Lipped Alligator Moments; and the Shadow Man (despite being an awesome villain) is barely in the movie.  Also, by the end of the movie I have to ask just what the message of this movie is?  For most of the movie, the message seems to be "you can accomplish whatever your heart desires, but you have to be willing to work your ass off for it to come true".  By the end of the movie, though, all the characters' problems are literally solved by marriage.  It's the Cookie-cutter Disney Princess ending.  Meh.  Decent movie, but falls far short of its potential.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: February 28, 2010, 10:16:36 PM »
I saw both recently and I'd agree with both of those reviews, especially The Princess and The Frog.

Very concise, Broodwars.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 28, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
If I might ask, where did you watch JL: Co2E since it comes out on DVD 3/23?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: February 28, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

*cough* Let's just say I have certain sources where these movies pop up, which is rather handy when you're forced to live off unemployment (till tomorrow!  Yay!).  Wow, that movie did get leaked early.  Princess and the Frog as well.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 28, 2010, 10:55:16 PM »
District 9  9.5/10 It's a fucking awesome movie.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 01, 2010, 06:13:19 PM »
Inglourious Basterds

8/10

Well it seems there isn't one single Tarantino movie that I like a lot. It's just my taste in movies though.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 02, 2010, 11:14:40 PM »

Umm, that release date is 2/23...

And I agree that Crisis on Two Earths is ultimately forgetable. I had such high hopes after seeing the previews. Its more like the Justice League Vs Superwoman. Ulitmate Man was such a wuss. The included episodes are more entertaining, especially The Spectre 'toon. Thats worth the price of admission alone.

And they admit the script was based on the bridge between Justice League and Unlimited, so nothing really amusing about it.

There is a preview for Batman Under the Red Hood, mostly talk and rough sketches and talk of the death of Jason Todd.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 02, 2010, 11:56:28 PM »

Umm, that release date is 2/23...
Not according to Netflix....

but honestly that wouldn't be the first time that something came out 1 month late on Netflix that showed up sooner on Blockbuster.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 03, 2010, 12:01:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that is just the date it is available on Netflix and not it's national release date.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 03, 2010, 12:26:50 AM »
Year One - Who the **** decided to release this piece of garbage.

I will admit that I didn't make it that far into this movie, but all the opening jokes ere not even humorous in the slightest. I fell asleep somewhere around the 20-25 minute mark since the movie just couldn't hold my interest. But my girl suffered through the entire thing an said she didn't even crack a smile. She is the easy to make laugh type and it's kinda sad if a comedy can't even make her smile. I can see why this was a straight to instant watch release for Netflix, probably not worth buying too many disc for.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 04, 2010, 04:02:03 AM »
Where The Wild Things Are.

I haven't seen it yet, but I just noticed that it is out on DVD/BRD since yesterday but it's not available on Blockbuster.com or Netflix.com (I have access to both).

I remember a while back that Major Movie Studios where trying to make a move towards delayed rental copies of movies to spur movie sales. This is the 3rd movie that I've noticed has been delayed for release on Netflix and the 1st that I've noticed for Blockbuster. The movie listed above comes out on 3/30 on Netflix and BB doesn't actually list a date.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 04, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
This happened with Hancock, at least on Netflix. I went all over town to rent the movie the Friday after release and it was all out. So I hopped on Netflix to see if I could stream it, and it wasn't even available to be sent out.

I bet Vudu has some answers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 04, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
Well Redbox was the only one mentioned by name in the story I had seen, so I would hope vudu has some answers.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 04, 2010, 01:34:51 PM »
Movie studios are delaying rental releases on a lot of major movies by up to a month (sometimes more) for Redbox, Netflix and Blockbuster.com (not sure if it affects Blockbuster stores).  It's for all the reasons you'd expect--movie studios don't like that people are choosing to rent brand new releases for ~ $1 instead of buying them for ~$20 - $30.  It's just going to start happening more and more frequently so get used to it.

But hey, it beats the alternative.  For a while some studios were talking about pulling support from Redbox completely (and it would only be a matter of time until Netflix and Blockbuster.com followed).  This seems like a decent-enough compromise.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:20 PM »
I can wait, so no big deal for me.
If I was in no rush to go see it in the theater, and I had enough patience to just add it to my saved queue and wait for a DVD release.... then getting it a week to 1 month after it as released in stores isn't really gonna bother me if that's the way it has to be.

I will have to check on the availability at BB for Where the Wild Things are and let everyone know. I have a mail in movie to return there and I can exchange it for a new release in store, so I can check and see if delayed mail(/redbox) rentals are also delayed in-store too.

I do know that my sister picked up The Box from Hollywood Video a week ago and it doesn't release till 3/23 on Netflix, so that also says something.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:48:51 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 04, 2010, 02:06:15 PM »
I do know that my sister picked up The Box from Hollywood Video a week ago and it doesn't release till 3/23 on Netflix, so that also says something.
That your sister has bad taste in movies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »
We watch all the major New Releases.

And even bad movies can be fun to watch.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 04, 2010, 02:59:24 PM »
And since we happen to be talking about Blockbuster, it looks like they brought back late fees.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/108961/blockbuster-bringing-back-late-fees?mod=career-leadership
Here's how the new late-fee structure breaks down:

• Starting this week, customers will be charged $5 for a five-day movie rental. Previously, customers were allowed to keep each rental for seven days.

• If the customer returns the movie late, they'll be charged $1 per day until it's returned, up to a maximum of 10 days.

• If the customer still hasn't returned the movie by the 15th day, they'll be charged the full price of the DVD, which could range from $29.99 on the high end for newly released Blu-ray discs, to just a few bucks on the low end for a DVD on the clearance rack.

• If the movie is returned within 30 days, the customer will receive a store credit equal to the price of the movie they were charged for, minus $10 in late fees. So if the customer was charged $19.99 for a replacement DVD, they'll have $9.99 credited to their Blockbuster account.

I hope that doesn't apply to BB online customers when trading in mail-ins for in-store copies.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 04, 2010, 06:19:33 PM »
Hollywood Video had the best store-only based late fee scheme I thought. Keep movie for week and if you keep it longer than that you get charged for a second week. It was then only like you checked it out twice. Though now with Netflix I don't think I'll ever be entering a rental store again except to browse used DVDs. If I really want it sooner than 24 hours by mail and/or can't get it streamed then it's probably a movie I would want to buy. Netflix FTW.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast