Author Topic: At least somebody at Nintendo's Marketing dept is sane.  (Read 16887 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: At least somebody at Nintendo's Marketing dept is sane.
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:25 PM »
I'm of the opinion that the Super Mario Sunshine commercial was one of the greatest commercials I've ever seen.  I don't remember the SSBM one, but all of the giant costume commercials have been great.  The Mario Superstar Baseball ones are the worst out of all of them.

Clean IS better than dirty

(by the way, does anyone have that commercial saved or know where to find it?)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
"If the product is of high quality and value but doesn't sell then the commercial sucks."

Oh ho ho...Nintendogs has been selling extremely well here...Does that make make the commercial good?  NEGATIVE!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:At least somebody at Nintendo's Marketing dept is sane.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2005, 01:33:02 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing

(by the way, does anyone have that commercial saved or know where to find it?)

I used to, but I lost it during my last format. Apparently there were at least 2 versions of the commercial, a fairly long one and a (couple?) shorter ones. I haven't seen the long one...  
Imported Super Princess Peach

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »

"If the product is of high quality and value but doesn't sell then the commercial sucks."

I love this quote

Basically, you can give a hundred examples, just take any game that sold poorly and say "cuz the commercial sucked lol" and there you have it!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2005, 01:39:26 PM »
Heh, I meant is that the first Nintendo/Mario commercial that utilized the funny costumes... =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2005, 01:41:54 PM »
I really think alot of people use SMS's commercial as a scapegoat for the game's (lack of) success. Back when the game was released, I remember the sh!tstorm that ensued on the IGN Boards with people claiming that the commercial ruined any chance of the game selling well and blah blah blah. I think that's bulljive. It's not like if Nintendo didn't tell the kids that Nintendogs are off da hook it would have flopped... bleh, now I'm going in circles.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
How many copies has SMS sold?

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2005, 02:29:48 PM »
The SMS was horrible because it wasn't funny, it was lame. The Smash Bros. one works because it's all about what the game is all about: the 'kidzy' characters hitting each other! Basically it took what was Nintendo's image by then and turned it upside down. SMS was just stupid and grating.

For a game like Smash Bros that's a good commercial. Mario isn't. Mario people know, you don't need to make them laugh, just tlel them it's good. The Nintendogs commercial sucked, but I bet kids liked it fine. The GBM sounds hilarious, and it'll appeal to the late-teenage early twenties demographic pretty good. Plus, it's a GBA so it's not exactly like anyone doesn't know what it is. It makes the point that the GBM is the sexiest thing ever, so sexy you want to schlup it.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2005, 02:36:53 PM »
Oof.

It's obviously a spoof, but intelligence shouldn't be required to understand a commercial. It can be clever and still get its message across to the average moron.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2005, 02:47:50 PM »
Yeah, that commercial is as absolutely terribly as you can possibly get. The fact they keep singing while the gameplay clips are playing only makes it worse.

Masterful:
http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=2713

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 03:07:34 PM »
Okay, so it wasn't a good commercial >_>

Well, it's still one of my favoirtes, but at least I can see why everyone hated it  I still think it's hilarious, that scene with everyone on the hill especially.  There's a contruction man, a guy in an electric scooter, an old woman, what looks to be an amish guy....I love it <3

The only thing I don't like about it is the picture of the GC at the end.  Even *I* think it looks gay.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 06:37:25 PM »
I think the reason Super Mario Sunshine "only" sold 2.5 million copies in the US was because it was called Super Mario Sunshine.

and the complex controls turned people away

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »
I was just playing Mario Sunshine again earlier today (first time in while) and was having a blast rediscovering how easy it was to move around. Of course, I play games frequently, so I understand that those who don't (and many who do) may have trouble.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Mr. Segali

• PAY YOUR RENT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2005, 06:45:19 PM »
Ahaha! The part where he takes off like a rocket is the best. This is the coveted "longer" version that I've never seen.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »
"Oooo. Guys have studied marketing so they MUST know what they're doing. I think history has shown that just because you have a degree in something doesn't mean you know what you're doing."

I really just meant they know more about than you do, Ian.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2005, 12:04:55 PM »
Ugh. I've seen the commercial.

Once again Nintendo proves that everything they know about "maturity", they learned from BMX XXX.

Just give up, Nintendo.

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I like how Ninty has flipflopped between marketing styles yet Ian hates them all...

So you're fine with Nintendo having two modes, "suck" and "blow"?

(And yes, at the moment I'm ignoring their occasional good commercial.)
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2005, 12:17:17 PM »
Bull****!  This "occasional" good commercial happens more often than not!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »

Once again Nintendo proves that everything they know about "maturity", they learned from BMX XXX.

What in the hell are you talking about?  This is a COMMERCIAL, not goddamn Hamlet.  It doesn't have to be poignant or have deep, underlying moral themes.  It's supposed to be funny, and apparently some people think it is, so just because you're stuck up on thinking a commercial is immature, which it has every right to be, doesn't mean it's not a good commercial.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2005, 01:38:58 PM »
From what I've seen of the Mario Baseball commercials... they look hilarious.  I've only seen them  without sound though.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2005, 05:18:25 PM »
How is this commercial supposed to get the target audience of the GameBoy Micro, which Nintendo said was image-concious people?? When I heard a PR person  talking about how they were looking for magazines like Vogue to advertise it I thought "hey, they are going in a good direction finally" only to completly messed up releasing this crap. I cant believe some of you are actually defending this ad.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »
I haven't seen it.
They said the commercial was funny.  I assumed that this was true, based on evidence given by a few people.  If it is funny, the ad is fine.  Nothing wrong with it, even if it is immature or silly.  Who cares?  It's funny.
Regardless, I'm defending Nintendo's past advertisements, all of the commercials I've seen, not this one in particular.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »
This commcercial sounds hilarious.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2005, 10:01:46 PM »
Does anyone have a link to this commercial?  I'd rather reserve my judgement until I have seen it personally.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2005, 10:57:16 PM »
I concur.

Speaking of advertisements made by Nintendo, the Australian Nintendog ad I found hilarious. Old footage of dog doing tricks and things, then cuts to vision of Nintendogs. Made me laugh...
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).