Author Topic: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked  (Read 75769 times)

Re: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »
I disagree wholeheartedly with Spak, the internet was originally created by the US Military FOR the US Military it is their damn right to do whatever the hell they deem necessary with it. If it means protecting us than yes they certainly should make a show of force, a reminder that you don't **** with the United States.

And to avoid turning this into blatant political discussion, lets talk about the Sony story I turned into my boss, after two weeks of showing it to two different reporters, re-writing it, and then finally tweaking it to perfection I sent it in and today he told me it was very good and that they will try to get to it next week after the Holiday madness is over. I won't be reading it on air, they handed it to one of their regular reporters but it was still a victory in my book.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:24:17 PM by marvel_moviefan_2012 »
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »
You can disagree with me.  I don't mind...people have different opinions.

I wonder if the hackers will release anything on Christmas now that Sony seems considering releasing the movie again.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »
@MMF
make sure you post a youtube clip of the story once it goes live.
congrats on the story moving forward though.

@Spak
They better release the juicy tidbits they had on the actual CEO, and whatever other SonyScandal inducing info they got. I hope they attempt to bury Sony with the leak.... only for most of it to not really matter in the end. But all for our amusement.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
The internet was not created for the military or by the military.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
The internet was not created for the military or by the military.

True. it was created by Al Gore.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
Er... while I wouldn't credit the entire Inventory/Development of the internet to the US Military, there's no way it would have developed and evolved as fast as it did without military involvement (and, more importantly, military dollars) funneled into it.

Your mother might have birthed you, but it wouldn't have happened without your father's seed.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »
And it's gone far, far beyond that in the intervening decades. To suggest that the U.S. military should still retain total control of it is ludicrous.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
Oh, no, I'm not saying they should by any reach.  Just saying, I can't imagine it developing to where it is today without Military involvement in the early years.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:38 PM »
That's fair, the DoD did do a whole lot of the early work.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
Honestly I am torn.

I do not agree with this type of terrorism.  But I find it really humorous that Sony was in such a security breach and so ignorant and foolish about it that they let THIS much information leak. 

I also think The Interview is a pretty horrible idea for a movie...even a dark comedy and showing a sitting world leader get assassinated is pretty tasteless and I can understand why North Korea and really the world should want this movie pulled.  It should have never been made in the first place.

Then again you should not never give into terrorism so I do not think Sony should have pulled it. (They should have never made it in the first place.)  But if Sony doesn't give into the demands then they have to deal with the consequences of foolish security protocols.  So let's see what happens with this movie and the hackers.

I predict that IF this is truly North Korea, they will release more things because of the internet outage and the movie releasing again. 

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2014, 10:38:17 PM »
So Sony's releasing the movie to 200 theaters in 19 states. Funny.

I still don't believe these are North Koreans. It just doesn't make sense. Nothing before the hack ever mentions the Interview, yet now it's the hackers main agenda. Fishy. Very fishy.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2014, 12:25:30 AM »

I still don't believe these are North Koreans. It just doesn't make sense. Nothing before the hack ever mentions the Interview, yet now it's the hackers main agenda. Fishy. Very fishy.

My thoughts exactly.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2014, 02:23:03 AM »
The government seemed pretty confident in declaring that it came from North Korea, so I think it's safe to say at least some of it did. There's no reason for them to aggravate an already tense international relationship with nothing to back it up.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2014, 03:26:47 AM »
Listen, I'm not extremely literate in the ways of the computer, but how hard would it be to spoof your IP address? On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult would it be to reroute your IP though China and then tie in a connection to NK? Would it be unprecedented?

But forget all that. What I'm really concerned about is the motive. This isn't 9/11 conspiracy **** where the facts are plainly obvious. There's ties, three to be specific, that the FBI found but none of them explain the original motive which we have on record.

Let's assume the FBI investigation is true, then what is the explanation for the switch in motives? Did North Korea originally plan to steal the Interview under the guise of extortion but fail, forcing them to show their hand? If they hired someone, did those people want some extra money? And what would happen if Sony paid? Did they know they wouldn't? And why threaten the public about the movie specifically? Didn't they know that motive would easily conclude them as a suspect? What the **** was the point of all this?!

Now if we don't believe their investigations, things are more logical. The hackers wanted money. They didn't get it and hacked Sony. After the breach, the message and I'm paraphrasing "You did this to yourself" makes sense. But the media, with a lack of information, suspected North Korea because of a statement from the summer declaring the Interview an "act of  war". Then and only then do the hackers ever mention the Interview as a motive...after the idea is floated. And we know the rest of the story.

Now there is one piece of information that doesn't make sense from this stand point either. The hackers took several movies that were about to release and threw them on the internet via torrent. One would assume the Interview would show up as well, as all the other movies were from the month of December, but it didn't. This gives more credence that the FBI is right. That it was about the Interview. But the damn timeline...it makes no sense.

Would North Korea really just try to extort cash from Sony? Would hired goons try to extort cash AND go through with the hack even if Sony complied? And did they gain access to the movie when they stole several others? If they did, why didn't they just delete it? Would it be obvious that they were part of the attack? Then why threaten movie goers for seeing it? None of this makes any sense. And even a dip **** like Kim Jong Un would ask why? Why was all of this necessary?

Then again he probably wouldn't know what the **** is going on and shake his head agreeably then clap overzealously.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:30:58 AM by Hypotheliciously »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2014, 04:01:18 AM »
I'm fairly certain the FBI is aware of techniques used to spoof IPs. There's no reason they had to say anything about it, but they voluntarily and pretty strongly said it was coming from North Korea. There's definitely a possibility that only part of it was them, with whoever else piggybacking off it, but I'd be pretty shocked at this point if none of it was them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2014, 07:29:30 AM »
The FBI is filling in the truthiness hole left by Colbert. North Korea was never mentioned as a culprit until the media latched on to them, giving Sony and the FBI an easy out. The hackers never mentioned North Korea or The Interview in their original statement, and their attempts at broken English and Google Translate to Korean don't pass the smell test.

Sony in their statements have called this an "act of cyber terrorism", which is an insanely stupid thing to say. They're skipping out on their responsibility, and if it leads to terrible legislation, we're all screwed.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
For me the timeline fits better if you go from the idea that the hackers targeted Sony with the idea that The Interview in particular might be a lucrative commodity to sell to North Korea.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
The other idea is that the money was a red herring...a false demand, to see how Sony would respond...or something added by the hackers for NK, but not part of the officially sactioned demands...or to even throw suspicion off of NK.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2014, 10:38:44 AM »
I thought it was pissed off ex-Sony employees. They got a little help through NK to **** with Sony. NK just wanted the movie gone. The ex-Sony employees wanted a little revenge and to show off the skeletons in the closet. I find it hard to believe that this is entirely one faction because a lot of this makes no sense if it is. Unless ex-Sony employees mimic NK's hacking methods.

If this is entirely ex-Sony employees exclusively, then what they are doing with the Interview is seeing how far they can push before they get told no. You know, today is the Interview, tomorrow is whatever.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »
The Interview was a special case, which allowed people to make a connection. The hackers can't really make the same demands with say, an Adam Sandler movie.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »
Or the whole Interview movie to hide their tracks.  Another scary idea is this has nothing to do with The Interview or North Korea, but to avoid a panic from a huge cyber attack the FBI and Sony lied about North Korea's involvement.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:02 AM »
I just can't see them purposely lying about DPRK involvement.  Seems like that would be a pretty bad move, politically and such.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/24/the-interview-vod_n_6377116.html

The Interview will (reportedly) be available to rent on YouTube. Which, of course means, it will be available to anyone for free a couple of hours later.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
It's weird what the Department of Defense has paid for over the years: GPS, Roombas, microwaves.

Weird.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
$6 to rent.
$15 to own.