Author Topic: Meet the Nintendo DS!  (Read 6854 times)

Offline chlupe

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Meet the Nintendo DS!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004, 11:47:51 AM »
No, I'm assuming it comes with the package. I guess I should have said, "It is capable of" instead of "It will also support". Also, there is voice recognition in the DS via a built-in microphone.
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
RE:Meet the Nintendo DS!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2004, 12:13:22 PM »
"GBA playability huh? I knew they wouldn't be so stupid as to not include it. Third pillar? Psssh. This is the GBA replacement."

It's clearly intended as the more tech-savy alternative to the GBA.
Nintendo realizes that the majority of handheld gamers are happy with the GBA and will be happy with it for years to come buy there are a growing number that crave a more advanced handheld. Those are the people Sony was hoping to go after and the DS is Nintendo's way of getting them first. The GBA and NDS can co-exist because the handheld market will soon be split into to two factions. A single handheld just couldn't please both. There has to be a simple, cheap one for the casual gamers just looking to pass the time and a more advanced, more expensive one for the more hardcore gamers who want something with power, graphics, and cool features.

Offline ssj4_android

• View Profile
RE: Meet the Nintendo DS!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2004, 01:11:06 PM »
Gamespot and IGN are reporting the wireless is a special kind and 802.11

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2004, 07:45:09 PM »
I don't know guys, I'm pretty impressed by this little thing.  I don't think the design is the coolest (looks pretty dull if you ask me), but man does it have some neat features.

- The microphone is something I never would have thought of, and that can be put to use in all kinds of different ways.  For example, you could have a game in which you record a sample of your voice to RAM.  Then you have to play that sample back to get security clearance through certain doors.  Really cool.

- Wi-Fi piggybacking is brilliant.  Being able to hook up to any wireless access point and play somebody across the country is going to be awesome (assuming it works as smoothly as it should).  This actually intrigues me more than console online play.

- The stylus is a great idea...no idea how it's going to be incorporated into gameplay, but a great idea nonetheless.  I really want to get my hands on the DS to try out this feature.

I can't wait for this to be released.

silks
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2004, 08:01:01 PM »
The Wi-Fi feature has me really interested.

Hear that Pietriots?