Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 Wiimake on Gamestop's database  (Read 59888 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Resident Evil 4 Wiimake on Gamestop's database
« Reply #250 on: June 27, 2007, 09:06:34 AM »
Now that's living on the edge.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 27, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
What can I say?  I ran out of pistol ammo and didn't feel like having my head cut off.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 27, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »
Indeed.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline ShineGet887

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2007, 06:34:03 AM »
Mine just arrived in the mail sometime this morning, along with Paper Mario. So far, I'm only about 40 minutes in but I'm -LOVING- this control scheme and the game in general. As for SPM, I just popped it in and I'm giving it a whirl as we speak, both games are looking to be good so far.

PS: Having never played RE4 before this version, this is a -blessing-.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
RE:Resident Evil 4 Wiimake on Gamestop's database
« Reply #254 on: June 29, 2007, 06:59:45 AM »
for those of you playing RE4 on wii.. i think it was in SUPERS impressions he mentioned the wii speaker being used to for the crackling sound effect of leons radio.. is that not in the US version or is it just my copy that doesnt do that. even with the wiimotes speaker turned all the way up i can barely hear the reloading effect.

i thought maybe it was just my controller but i tried it on both zelda and red steel and the sound comes thru loudly enough.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 29, 2007, 06:59:45 AM »
oops double posted somehow
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #256 on: June 29, 2007, 07:56:46 AM »
Let me tell you what happened in my play-thru.

I didn't hear SH!TE from the Remote speaker until I had reached Chapter 5.  Basically from the beginning, to the end of the one-eyed penis monster -- NOTHING.

But ever since it did start to make noise, i hear SH!TE from it all the time now.

I mentioned not hearing SH!TE about a week ago, a few pages back.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 29, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »
The RE4 Wiimote SFX are EXTREMELY low volume wise. I noticed mine throughout the entire game but I really had to listen for it. If there is one thing I wish the wii had it's a better speaker for its controller =/.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 29, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
Also, RE4 plays the sounds through the main speakers as well, which drowns out the Wiimote speaker most of the time.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Artisto16

• maybe I shouldn't use giant avatars
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 29, 2007, 09:46:15 AM »
Ok, I'm just wondering...... Are there any snakes in the Wii version? I haven't encountered any as of yet, and I do remember a snake being in crates at the very beginning in that shed where the woman's body is hanging on the wall, and also in the shed after you meet the merchant for the first time. So are the snakes in this game? Also, what's up with the cinematics? I really wanted to see the Mobster Leon costume so I downloaded someone's save file. For cut scenes, his clothes magically change to his original costume. It really destroys the real time aspect. I hope this was just a PS2 issue and the original and 1st special costume doesn't have this continuity error.
No me digas!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
There are snakes in the game, both that appear randomly in crates and those that appear on the ground/in the water.  Unfortunately, in the Wii version it seems harder to kill the ones in the crates with your knife before they attack you.  In the GCN version, I could always double swipe my knife any time I broke open a crate just in case there was a snake in there.  In the Wii version, the second swipe often misses the snake (even if you swipe with the button) because of the aiming reticle.  

Cut scenes are done in real time, just like the GCN version.  So they will accurately show your weapon and any costume (or body armor) you may be wearing.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2007, 10:51:02 AM »
The same 3-5 snakes that are waiting in crates or vases are in the same places as they always were.  They are not random.  When it comes to slashing a boxed snake, use the C button and use the double-swipe instead of relying on the Remote's auto-aim swipe.

The cutscenes in the PS2 version were just Fail-Motion-Videos.  They're not going to show how your costume changed.  I haven't beaten Separate Ways yet to see how the costumes look in realtime on Wii (or it might be retarded and just not show the costumes at all, but still in realtime).

The movie gallery features all the Fail-Motion-Videos used in the PS2 game.  You won't get to see real-time Ada Wong, only 2nd-generation-copy Ada Wong.

Offline Artisto16

• maybe I shouldn't use giant avatars
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 02, 2007, 07:17:07 AM »
Ok, I decided to just play the entire Wii version from scratch.

With regard to the cinematics, if you play using the Normal or Special 1 costumes, the cinematics will be in real time. If you use the Special 2 costume (Al Capone suit) then the cinematics will still be in real time, but Leon's model will change into the normal, special 1, or no jacket models. This may be random, but it seemed to change to whatever was the last costume used. I was all excited to see the main cinematics with Leon in the Al Capone garb, but oh well.

And the movie gallery cinematics are the pre-rendered PS2 ones which don't liik as good as the real time. The famous knife fight is just disappointing compared to its real time cinematic counterpart.

I haven't done Separate Ways yet, but I think it's taken directly from the PS2 version, so I'm not expecting improved graphics or real time cut scenes for this mode. Again, no biggie.

Oh, and it seems I can play this game with the Wii mote longer than 8 hours straight. Instead of my arms getting tired, my mind and body got tired first, it was bedtime for me afterall.
No me digas!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #263 on: July 02, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
You have learned much.

Go forth and kiiiill the Jedi.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
It's finally here!!!!!!!!
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 03, 2007, 09:12:34 AM »

Originally posted by: Ghisy
It's finally here!!!!!!!!

Have fun =D oh and (for those who have cleared the game already) the unlimited ammo gun is freaking awesome (finally was able to buy it a few days ago).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2007, 12:30:31 PM »
When Pro666 said that the game was stretched to 640x448 I didn't think that I would be in such a surprise.
I just got "RE4 - Wii Edition" and played a little bit, now I was thinking that it was going to fill up my widscreen tv, unlike TLoZTP it did not fill up the screen and there are two vertical black bars present during gameplay and menus...Capcom you really have lowered your quality standards by alot.
Gameplay wise, for the few 5 mins that I played, I'm still not used to them. The added pixel-perfect accuracy is welcome, although I would have chosen to use the aiming combined with the camera movement.
I'm just not happy with how Capcom couldn't freakin' have the game be displayed in full widescreen, and they could have at least added the option for us to choose if we wanted to combine the aiming with the camera movement.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
When Pro666 said that the game was stretched to 640x448 I didn't think that I would be in such a surprise.
I just got "RE4 - Wii Edition" and played a little bit, now I was thinking that it was going to fill up my widscreen tv, unlike TLoZTP it did not fill up the screen and there are two vertical black bars present during gameplay and menus...Capcom you really have lowered your quality standards by alot.
Gameplay wise, for the few 5 mins that I played, I'm still not used to them. The added pixel-perfect accuracy is welcome, although I would have chosen to use the aiming combined with the camera movement.
I'm just not happy with how Capcom couldn't freakin' have the game be displayed in full widescreen, and they could have at least added the option for us to choose if we wanted to combine the aiming with the camera movement.

Wait the game DOESN'T have true widescreen now?!?!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2007, 12:35:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Caliban
now I was thinking that it was going to fill up my widscreen tv, unlike TLoZTP it did not fill up the screen and there are two vertical black bars present during gameplay and menus.

Could you snap some photos and show us what you're seeing?  Of both RE4 and TP.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
My tv doesn't stretch any video signal unless it is said too (i.e. a 4:3 video signal when I have it in 16:9 mode but even then it won't completely fill the screen), otherwise it shows the resolution that it is being fed with.

This (RE4) is the best I could get with my webcam, I don't have a digital camera. As you can see there are two vertical black bars, albeit they are small (even smaller in SPM, however TP doesn't have any as you can clearly see.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »
I see what's going on.  No need to flip out.

I could be mean and say the problem is your TV and it's showing TOO MUCH real estate and you're just freaking out over minor things.  The problem is a lack of standardization.

Before flat, digital TVs went mainstream most TV up until then barely allowed you to see the central 640x480 pixels of the 720x480 NTSC canvas -- the top/bottom & sides of the screen were covered by the TV casing, especially the bottom.  This came in handy to cover up the noisy crud video information at the bottom of VCR tape footage.

Fast forward to the present, and you see TVs are treated more like PC monitors and we have better-quality video sources w/out crap on the edge of the canvas, so it's OK to present more, if not the entire 720x480 canvas (704x480 is still the most we typically see in a 4:3 display setting)

GameCube and Wii games typically process at 640 pixels wide (4:3 fullscreen).  However, Nintendo has a habit of stretching that a little bit wider (using the console's video scaler) to occupy 660 pixels or more.  Nintendo probably does this in case someone has a TV that shows much more than the STANDARD 640 pixels.  BUT, everything meant to be seen in the game is adequately spaced to fit within the standard 640 -- GUI, life meters, stats, maps, etc.  How much maximum screen space to take up is the choice of the developer.

RE4:Wii displays at 640 pixels wide during 16:9 anamorphic widescreen mode.  A widescreen TV will stretch it to cover about 852 pixels wide (ultimately, the relative stretched width is determined by the manufacturer).  This is just where it should be, and is the base spec for standard-def widescreen

TP:Wii displays at 686 pixels wide during 16:9 anamorphic widescreen.  Stretched, it comes out to about 914+ pixels wide -- more real estate than some TVs will show.  BUT, all the important info still fits within 852 pixels.

I suspect Caliban's TV is showing too many pixels or isn't stretching the games enough (same result).  If TP is supposed to display at "true widescreen," then Link's hearts and on-screen indicators would be VERY close to the side edges of the TV screen -- but I don't think that's the case, and I believe Caliban actually sees a noticeable amount of unused game space between the indicators and edges.  

RE4:Wii does stretch to true widescreen resolution, that is, it's the minimum rez that practically all widescreen TVs (even before HDTV) are guaranteed to display.  If the TV barely fits Leon's name in the lower right corner of the screen, it's compliant.  Anything more is dead space.

TP:Wii is just overachieving, and i'm sure there's quite a few people who aren't fortunate enough to see the extra 40-something pixels on the sides of their widescreen screens.

In conclusion, Caliban's TV is like many modern TVs:  they show a few more pixels than necessary.  More importantly, I noticed Caliban's TV ISN'T BLACK, more like a silver or grey or maybe white, so NO WONDER the black bars are painfully noticeable.  They stick out like 12-in sausages on a caesar salad, causing Caliban to overreact.  In the end, it's not a big deal.

I can get thin black bars to show up on my parent's rear-projection TV in Super Smash Bros. Melee.  On my humble 27" Sony CRT, only about 636 of 640 pixels are viewable in RE4 -- i never see the true edges of the picture.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 30, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »
Wish I knew that much about resolutions.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 30, 2007, 05:36:56 PM »
Don't worry GP. You'll know HD when you see it.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #273 on: July 30, 2007, 05:38:56 PM »
H.ot D.og

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 30, 2007, 05:49:10 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Wish I knew that much about resolutions.

Easy enough. the [number]x[number] is just how many pixels wide, then high many pixels tall the image is. Because of this, games with higher resolutions look better, because with more pixels, it can display more details. The [number]:[number] thing is a screen ratio. So 16:9 means that for every sixteen pixels widthwise, there are nine pixels heightwise.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown