Author Topic: E3 2019  (Read 18048 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2019
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
Ranking of the Conferences/Directs/Presentations

1. Nintendo
2. Square Enix
3. Microsoft
4. Bethesda
5. EA if it counts
6. Ubisoft
7. PC Gaming show

Separate category:
Q: Devolver Digital

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2019, 03:11:48 PM »
Ranking of the Conferences/Directs/Presentations

1. Nintendo
2. Square Enix
3. Microsoft
4. Bethesda
5. EA if it counts
6. Ubisoft
7. PC Gaming show

Separate category:
Q: Devolver Digital

Yeah, that seems pretty accurate.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2019, 04:39:03 PM »
EA can't count because you didn't pay for their E3 Season Pass
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2019, 08:41:26 PM »
Konami just announced a TurboGrafx-16 Mini.

LOL

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2019, 08:43:57 PM »

LOL

Yeah, I'm watching that, too. Just...WHY? Who was out there begging for a modern mini version of the console with 2 good games (Rondo of Blood & Ys)? They won't even announce pricing or the entire games lineup.

Oddly enough, Rondo of Blood wasn't one of the announced games, but I suspect Konami MIGHT be able to negotiate with the rights holder to get that on there.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2019, 08:53:54 PM »
Yeah, I'm watching that, too. Just...WHY? Who was out there begging for a modern mini version of the console with 2 good games (Rondo of Blood & Ys)? They won't even announce pricing or the entire games lineup.

There's some cool stuff amongst the TG-16 releases they put on Virtual Console. Lots of shooters like R-Type, the Super Star Soldier series, Blazing Lazers, Image Fight, Lords of Thunder. There's a couple other good games on there too like the Neutopia games (top down Zelda clones), Bomberman '93 and '94, Alien Crush and Devil's Crush are weird lil' pinball games, and Break In is an okay billiards game haha.
Throw in Ys Book I & II, New Adventure Island, some Bonk games and Splatterhouse... And then you have a very mild curiosity product?

If it's cheap, has savestates, and the emulation is at least on virtual console level I might consider getting one. Don't love those controllers though.

EDIT: Trailer is here.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:35:49 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
I NEED that TurboGrafx-16!!!!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
1. I don’t know how I’ve been missing these Devolver Digital Big Fancy Press Conference dealie the last couple years.

2. I’m straight up disappointed that “Catsylvania” is a Devolver Bootleg game. I’ve been using that as my online handle for like eight years. It’s like if I was one of the Beastie Boys and some fucking teenager has been using my stage name on Nintendo forums since 2001.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2019, 12:18:36 AM »

LOL

Oddly enough, Rondo of Blood wasn't one of the announced games, but I suspect Konami MIGHT be able to negotiate with the rights holder to get that on there.

Rondo has been confirmed for the Japanese version so I'd love to imagine it's guaranteed for the West as well.  Of course I hope Konami isn't going to be cute like Sega and give the Western version a bunch of games that haven't aged well while the Japanese and Asian version got a much better deal. 

I mean lets be real, in the West most of the appeal for this system is going to be among hardcore gamers who already know the PC-Engine was the real deal anyway and much of this systems best games remained Japan only because TurboGrafx wasn't popular in the West.  So hopefully whoever is in charge of this thing at Konami realizes and tries to focus on getting the best games available on all the systems and not limit the TurboGrafx mini to what was released in the West because that will greatly limit most of its potential library.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:02 AM »
[So hopefully whoever is in charge of this thing at Konami realizes and tries to focus on getting the best games available on all the systems and not limit the TurboGrafx mini to what was released in the West because that will greatly limit most of its potential library.
Konami gonna Konami so I wouldn’t bet on it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
Ironically an obscure system like the TurboGrafx 16 is more up my alley because I don't have one and the games are damn expensive used.  It's very much a system where if you didn't build up a collection for it in the early 2000s you're **** out of luck.  So if this is a well made product it's a must own for me.  Unlike the NES/SNES/Genesis I won't already own ANY of the games featured.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
Are there any games you actually want to play?

I pre-ordered a Neo Geo Mini for the same reason you mentioned before a cooler head prevailed and I realized, “I give zero fucks about any of these games, and I’m not spending $100 on this.” Alternatively, while I own most of the games on the Super Nintendo Classic Edition, it was the most convenient way to play those games for me.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:40 PM »
Are there any games you actually want to play?

I pre-ordered a Neo Geo Mini for the same reason you mentioned before a cooler head prevailed and I realized, “I give zero fucks about any of these games, and I’m not spending $100 on this.” Alternatively, while I own most of the games on the Super Nintendo Classic Edition, it was the most convenient way to play those games for me.

I didn't get a Neo Geo Mini entirely because it's really expensive and apparently is a pretty **** product.  If it was as good as the SNES Classic and in that price range then I probably would have got it.  For the TG-16 I'd like to give Ys a go and there are lots of SHMUPS I want to try out.  If the real deal was affordable the games listed thus far are some of the titles I would try to obtain.  So it's not so much about specific games but more about sampling a system I otherwise will never play.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
I'm in the historical novelty camp. I don't think I will ever buy an original version of the TG-16 even if I had the disposable income for it, so a mini version would be a cool way to "display" that part of history with my other old consoles, but it would need to be in impulse buy territory, and I doubt it will ever be priced that low for me.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »
I watched most of the press conferences this year because having a life is for dweebs and I'm an easy mark for marketing. Had a blast chatting with everyone on the Discord and whining about the hard work of developers because they're catering to slightly different audiences than ourselves.
Anyway here's how I'd rank the shows from best to worst:

Devolver Digital - Borderline art. Hilarious show. Total delight to watch.
Nintendo - Good, not great. Highlights were Astral Chain and Panzer Dragoon for me.
Square-Enix - Uneven presentation with terrible pacing, but Final Fantasy 7R is beginning to look interesting.
Bethesda - Not really my jam but expected worse. Doom Eternal gameplay looks fun & colourful, Ghostwire sounds promising.
Xbox -  My highlights were Phantasy Star Online 2 & Psychonauts 2. Some cool indies shown too. Crucially though, I'm not sold on an Xbox (yet).
Ubisoft - Good, snappy pacing, but almost everything they showed wasn't for me. Way too many shooters for my tastes. Watch_Dogs 3 sounds promising but I have a lot of doubts if it'll actually be compelling.

Didn't watch EA's stuff or the Epic Games show. Tried watching the Limited Run Games show for a bit but this format did them no favours. It was borderline unwatchable to be honest. They showed a lot of gameplay but it was rrrrrreal easy to lose track of what game they were even showing.

Overall: Not a great E3 for me at least, felt most of the big titles were afraid to show gameplay (barring Doom Eternal and Watch Dogs 3. Final Fantasy 7R just showed combat but no other gameplay). That said, chatting with everyone made it super fun nonetheless. Plus it's interesting to look outside my Nintendo bubble and see the sheer variety of games people are making nowadays.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2019, 03:18:13 AM »
This e3 had some memorable moments.

Keanu Reeves
and Banjo Kazooie

I'd say this is the best e3 since Pikmin got announced.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Super KYTim89

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2019, 10:18:19 PM »
If they could get away with it Microsoft should release the scarlet in march of 2020 to get a head start on the playstation five.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2019, 09:38:25 AM »

LOL

Just saw some of the discussion here about TG-16 Mini. (Not all of which is so dismissive.)

I agree that PC Engine was pretty awesome in Japan, but that it released too late and flopped hard as TG-16 in North America.

There are still a bunch of good games though. Bonk, Bomberman, Rondo of Blood, Wonder Boy/Dragon's Curse, Military Madness, a few interesting pinball games, Ys series, and a ton of shooters like Raiden and Soldier Blade and Lords of Thunder... there are more, but that's what jumps to mind.

However, I hit the TG-16 library pretty hard back in the Virtual Console days. There's not a whole lot that I want to play but don't already have access to, and TG-16 games don't really have the same name recognition to hit nostalgia like the Nintendo and Sega systems do.

I'll keep my eyes open though. If the games library has some surprises and the price is ok, maybe I'll still end up getting one to complete my mini collection? Maybe.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2019, 07:33:32 PM »
Just saw some of the discussion here about TG-16 Mini. (Not all of which is so dismissive.)
I feel like this is at least partially addressed to me so please allow me to retort:

1. Konami hyped a “special announcement” at E3. Was it worth the hype? I would argue no, it wasn’t.

2. PC Engine was only really successful in Japan so it’s weird that Konami would announce this thing in North America. Admittedly, E3 is one of, if not the industry’s largest convention. Making such an announcement would make sense for almost any product other than a retro console.

3. Konami didn't announce a price, release date, or even how many games will be on this thing. There isn’t enough to get excited about. Let me know when Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is officially announced for TurboGraphx-16 Mini. To me, it just further illustrates how out of touch Konami is. Withholding so many details makes me think this thing is going to be hella expensive. If it’s more than $80, GTFO. Nintendo and Sega set the bar. Super Nintendo Classic Edition has the better selection; Sega Genesis Mini has incredible value.

4. TurboGraphx-16 Mini is strangely huge for what it is. PC-Engine Mini and PC Engine Core Graphx Mini seem appropriately sized.

5. Konami announced a multiplayer adapter. What? This thing has a peripheral other than a controller?! Does Konami not understand the purpose of these officially sanctioned mini-throwback consoles? How many people would even care if game X or Y (or basically just Bomberman) didn’t fully support five players? It’s nice and all until the realization sets in that Konami probably just wants to sell an extra (albeit optional) thing to people. If it really wanted to support five-players, just put five USB ports on the unit itself. Those things are cheap and at least it wouldn’t play off as trying to nickel and dime consumers. Again, it illustrates how out of touch Konami is. I refuse to give this company the benefit of the doubt because...

6. There aren’t many video game companies that have done more in the past decade to destroy their own goodwill than Konami. It hasn’t given me a good reason not to be dismissive.

Offline Tad59

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
Top games of E3 for me:

Shenmue 3
Psychonauts 2
Final Fantasy 8 Remaster
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Abe's SoulStorm

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2019, 08:49:35 PM »
I forgot about Oddworld Soulstorm

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
Most of the TurboGrafx 16 Mini discussion was in here so I'll bump this up.  The full lineup has been released.  https://www.konami.com/games/pcemini/us/en/

It includes 50 games, approximately split evenly between US and JP releases.  And here's the cool part - both versions get ALL of the games for all regions!  So, yes, Dracula X is on the US version along with a lot of cool imports.  Yeah, I'm getting this.  I will need PS Classic like dumbshittery to be revealed before release for me to change my mind.

Though I will say that some of the JP releases will have a big language barrier for us English speakers.  They included Snatcher on this, which under normal circumstances would be very cool, but the only English version of that was for the Sega CD so I don't think I'm going to actually be able to play this version.  That game has a little too much reading for someone that doesn't know Japanese.  Still I like how this realizes that only hardcore game nuts are into something like this so they're not overly concerned with people being confused or turned off by games in a different language.

Also since Nintendo raised the bar so high this is a clever way to offer something they couldn't.  Sega did a similar thing by having more games than Nintendo did.  So now Konami offers more games than Sega did and lets everyone access the imports.