Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674336 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Well Celtics beat the Pacers in 4 and it was pretty close till the 4th quarter where the Celtics just didn't let up.  I did like that the Pacers kept shooting 3s near the end even though with the time remaining it was unlikely that they would eclipse the Celtics.  1st series wrapped up with the Celtics progressing to the 2nd round.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Game of Zones S6E2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_BN-_SUEYQ

and that Raptor Magic game was Zzzzz
that series needs to end already. Bucks about to sweep the Pistons, and I'm pretty sure the Sixers will finish of the Nets in the next game, but the Nets are putting up a good fight.
No idea how long the Celtics Pacers series will go, but I'm pretty sure the Celts come out on top.

Warriors handled the Clips today, and will most likely finish them off on Wednesday.
HOPEFULLY, the Jazz can get it together for 1 game and extend the Rocket series at least 1 more game so that the Rockets get no rest before the next series (assuming the Dubs finish off the Clips as expected on Wed.)

Who knows who comes out of the Pacers Spurs series.... don't honestly care tbh. LOL
and I'm hoping this OKC Portland series goes 6 or more, because I feel whoever wins between these 2 go the WCF. I'd would love to see Westbook lose, but I'd rather face OKC. lol

2nd round in the East should be a good watch
Raps v Sixers should be fun
Bucks v Celtics could be good too

and in the West we got
Dubs v Rockets which is the probably gonna be the most watched series of the 1st/2nd round easily

still not sure about the other 2 series
Portland(?) v Spurs(?)?

It's looking like Portland is gonna take this game, since they are up by 15 atm.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:16:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
BROOOOOOD!!!!! Where you at!!!

Are the Jazz about to do it!!!?
are they gonna not get swept and take this back to Houston on Wednesday?
please make it happen!!!!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
BROOOOOOD!!!!! Where you at!!!

Are the Jazz about to do it!!!?
are they gonna not get swept and take this back to Houston on Wednesday?
please make it happen!!!!

I'm not saying a goddamn word. I've seen how these have gone when I have.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I think you can say something now!!! :D

Utah stadium is absolutely DEAFENING right now.
I hope you guys take one in Houston too. I'm rooting for you. LOL

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Alright, then, now that the game is over and the Jazz DID win...WOO!  :D

Man, what a weird game. You know it's bizarro-land when the Jazz win behind big games from Mitchell, Jae Crowder, Ricky Rubio, and Royce O'Neal of all people. Ingles, Favors, Golbert, and Korver were pretty much non-factors until the final minutes of the game.

Well, at least we're going to leave this series with some dignity before we walk into the woodchipper that will be Game 5. Hey, should the unlikeliest of all events occur and we SOMEHOW get to Game 7, that game would actually be on my birthday!

It would be nice to push this to Game 6, but I think this ends in Game 5. The Rockets are just a really bad match-up for the Jazz, and outside of Mitchell and Rubio our big players just aren't getting it together.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Honestly, if the Jazz stopped shooting 3's in game 3 and took it to the hole like they did tonight, this might be a 2-2 series right now heading back to Houston.
Thye kept trying to rely on the quick come-back (live by and die by the 3) and it failed them in the long run. Had they just kept chipping away in the paint, it could've been a different game.

If it wasn't for the fact that my Warriors are also playing on Wednesday (thank you for taking the Rockets to at least one more game, starting this Wednesday as well) I would lend you some of that GS Rain and Shine, but I don't want to underestimate the Clippers....
You guys got this.

and Gobert was a liability for that brief 30 seconds he came in at the end of the 4th. Quinn yanked his ass so quick after 2 fuckups in a row, the 2nd just being baffling.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Honestly, if the Jazz stopped shooting 3's in game 3 and took it to the hole like they did tonight, this might be a 2-2 series right now heading back to Houston.
Thye kept trying to rely on the quick come-back (live by and die by the 3) and it failed them in the long run. Had they just kept chipping away in the paint, it could've been a different game.

If it wasn't for the fact that my Warriors are also playing on Wednesday (thank you for taking the Rockets to at least one more game, starting this Wednesday as well) I would lend you some of that GS Rain and Shine, but I don't want to underestimate the Clippers....
You guys got this.

and Gobert was a liability for that brief 30 seconds he came in at the end of the 4th. Quinn yanked his ass so quick after 2 fuckups in a row, the 2nd just being baffling.

The stat lines that confounds me are Korver & Ingles'. They not only aren't making shots. They're flat out not TAKING them. Considering that they're supposed to be taking the pressure off Mitchell, their absence is probably the bulk of the reason why this series has gone the way it has.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Let's hope they show up in Houston... or is Korver hurt?

I heard something about an injury, and I don't remember seeing him during this game.
But Ingles I don't think I saw take more than 1-2 shots.... meanwhile Rubio chucked up about 5-6 3pt bricks in a row.
I didn't see most of the 1st half, but I tuned in with about 7or so minutes left in the 1st half, so maybe I missed something.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
Let's hope they show up in Houston... or is Korver hurt?

I heard something about an injury, and I don't remember seeing him during this game.
But Ingles I don't think I saw take more than 1-2 shots.... meanwhile Rubio chucked up about 5-6 3pt bricks in a row.
I didn't see most of the 1st half, but I tuned in with about 7or so minutes left in the 1st half, so maybe I missed something.

Korver did get hurt towards the end of regular season, but I thought he was recovered by now. Perhaps he's not 100%, so Quin Synder sees him as a liability at the moment.

Incidentally, something I suspected was going on, but I see a LOT of push-offs by the Rockets in the official replay of this game, mostly from Harden because of course they are. It's nice to see that some things never change when it comes to playoff officiating.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:40:02 AM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The push offs are SO BLATANT too. it's ridiculous.
at this point, you just gotta hope he keeps missing them. LOL

and then continue to keep scoring. and that's where they failed in game 3. They couldn't score.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
they said that cat been something like 60% from beyond 27ft in this series.

3pt line is something like 23.6ft? I'm not sure.
Wish I was watching when it happened. OKC should have known better...
but they were also up 17 sometime in the 4th. never should've gotten there.

#ENDGAME
Dame Time
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:40:02 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
I liked when Paul George said that it was "a bad shot" only to have statistics complete contradict him. Please whine harder OKC.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:02:42 AM by Soren »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I agree with George though. The stats (small sample size and all) might disagree, but he had Lillard out close to half and even stepped up on him to get a solid hand up on the shot. Defensively, you could say that he wasn't close enough, that he should have forced a drive and kick just to make someone else be the one to beat them... but when someone takes a contested, side-step jumper from close to half court while being contested, you have to just live with those results.

Great game, amazing shot. Anyone acting like this is statistically normal is misrepresenting - it was a spectacular way to finish a series! Lillard is an absolute assassin, like few others I've ever seen.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
He was over 60% from 27ft and beyond for the series.
That wasn't even the only deep 3 he made in that game.

When he's on like that, you gotta guard him like Steph.
Lillard is deadly from all over the court, you gotta be all in his face like you would Steph.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
He was over 60% from 27ft and beyond for the series.

60% over how many shots, over how many games? 
When a sample size is this small, how much value do those stats really have?

I'm agreeing they probably should have crowded Lillard more to get the ball out of his hands and make someone else take the potential game-winning shot. I'm agreeing that the best comparable is Curry for range and pure shot-making ability, and that you shouldn't give Dame space regardless of where he is on the court.

But if you care about process over results, the shot selection wasn't good and the "end results over everything" analysis isn't helpful.

My takeaways are that you can't leave a great shooter who is having an amazing game with that much time and space. Especially not when the shooter knows that there is no pressure on the shot (if Lillard missed, no harm - they just go into overtime) and that he's got enough confidence to pull the trigger without question.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Just wanted to share this glorious headline from The Root:

Manhunt Underway After Dame Lillard Commits 1st-Degree Murder on National Television

Offline Soren

• View Profile
60% over how many shots, over how many games? 
When a sample size is this small, how much value do those stats really have?

He was 8 of 12 from beyond 30 feet in the series. 4 of 6 in Game 5.
We can spin it any way we want and Paul can whine and whine but that was not a bad shot by Lillard. He can and will hit those more often than not.

EDIT: He's 30% career making shots between 30 and 40 feet (37 of 122). This season he was 39.2% (20 of 59).
https://twitter.com/kirkgoldsberry/status/1121049794347028481

EDIT 2: Also, yeah. I don't want to hear about bad shots from the dude sitting next to Russell Westbrook.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:46:43 PM by Soren »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
That was an amazing shot, but it was also an absolutely wretched play. What if that shot HADN'T gone in and the Blazers then lost in OT? Then we would be berating him for just holding the ball beyond the key until the clock was nearly expired before throwing up a wayward 3.

In that respect, I absolutely agree with George.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
This season he was 39.2% (20 of 59).

Look closely at the claims you are making (or at least, quoting). Do you want to rethink that math?
Or maybe not - that could explain why you think that it wasn't possible to find a better shot when only a single point was needed to win the game?

One last funny note: your "can and will hit those more often than not" comment makes me laugh, when it's clear that it's not true. He hits them, and he hits them often enough that I'm not against him taking them. But when you need a single point, and have a single opportunity, that's not the shot you should be seeking out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:34:33 PM by ejamer »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
*sigh*

Well...what can you do? The Jazz made the Rockets earn this last win, and they were in it until the end. Their offense just couldn't put them over the top. Not much more you can ask from a team this outmatched than that.

As I said before, the Jazz head office needs to get serious for once this offseason and make some major changes. Jazz fans aren't satisfied with just making the playoffs anymore. Our team needs to be a legitimate threat to the higher seeds, and that won't happen so long as they remain conservative.

On the vindictive side, I look forward to the Warriors beating the crap out of the Rockets and ensuring that Chris Paul and James Harden continue to not have Championships.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:37:18 PM by broodwars »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Jazz had a legitimate chance at being up 3-2 in that series as they could've easily taken the last 3 games had they just been able to produce some offense.

But damn these Clippers ain't backing down. They making this a helluva game right now. Hopefully the Warriors pull through and don't give the Rockets any rest.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Wow the Clips are making this a series now. Clippers won tonight. I will say that I am liking what the Clippers are doing. I am thinking that the lack of Boogie is hurting the Warriors. I mean Durant, Curry and Thompson scored 91 and it wasn't enough for the Clippers.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
This season he was 39.2% (20 of 59).

Look closely at the claims you are making (or at least, quoting). Do you want to rethink that math?
Or maybe not - that could explain why you think that it wasn't possible to find a better shot when only a single point was needed to win the game?

That's the shot you take when you have a tie game and you get the last shot of regulation. Arguing about shot selection IN THIS INSTANCE is so dumb because THIS IS WHAT DAME DOES. It's crazy y'all out here arguing that Dame will drive past PG (a DPOY candidate) and somehow have a higher percentage shot than the shot he took.

It's a bad shot if PG takes it. It's a bad shot if Russell takes it. It's a bad shot when everyone in Portland except Dame takes it. But it was Dame who took the shot. And it's dumb that PG of all people started this whole "shot selection" argument WHILE HE WAS SITTING NEXT TO RUSSELL WESTBROOK. That's the only reason we're talking about this.

The Thunder set their final regulation possession defense thinking the dude who had shot 7 of 11 from beyond 30 feet at that moment wasn't going to put up another shot from that distance and make it, even though statistically it was the safest moment for him to do so. That's a risk you're willing to take and if he burns you, so be it. But don't go talking after the fact about how it was a "bad shot".
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:31:24 AM by Soren »