Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674551 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Jebus, man. Those are some sour grapes.

1. Ben Simmons had a better overall year. Yeah, it was closer than anyone was expecting; Simmons still had a better year.
2. It doesn’t matter that Simmons plays in the East.
3. It also doesn’t matter that Simmons redshirted the year he was drafted. He didn’t play a single second that year. Full stop.
4. Rookie of the Year is a trash tier award. It ultimately says nothing about what a player will become or how long he’ll be in the league. Michael Carter-Williams, 2014 Rookie of the Year, was in the same draft class as Giannis Antetokounmpo and even another Jazz player, Rudy Gobert. I guess no expected them to be as good as they became, but that’s exactly my point.
5. Donovan Mitchell is a player the Jazz had no business getting for what they traded to get him. That’s worth more than some award that only matters when a player doesn’t live up to it (see: MCW again).

Sorry, but playing in the Eastern Conference taints everything for me. It's been a joke of a conference pretty much as far back as I can remember, with only 2-3 teams even remotely competitive. It enables players to pad their stats far more than you see in the Western Conference.

So yeah, there's definitely sour grapes, but I doubt he'd been anywhere near as successful if he wasn't playing against scrubs most of the year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Donovan Mitchell got robbed, and by a middling player in the Leastern Conference who's not even a Rookie, no less.  ::)

::)  right back at ya with that bogus statement.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
If anyone got robbed, it was Anthony Davis.

Or maybe also LeBron.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Were the NBA Awards last night!?

Damn missed it. Someone post the full results.
How was the show? Who hosted, and were they any good?

I need the deets.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
MVP: James Harden (Houston)
RotY: Ben Simmons (Process)
6th Man: Lou Williams (Clippers)
Defensive Player: Rudy Gobert (Jazz)
Most Improved: Victor Oladipo (Pacers)
Coach of the Year: Dwayne Casey (Raptors Pistons)
Full voting results
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Damn, I don't see Curry name anywhere in there... I wonder how he feels knowing the only award he got this year was an NBA Championship.

I hope he tries harder next year.
I mean Durant got 3+ awards this year. Step your game up Curry.  SMH
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:44:09 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Damn, I don't see Curry name anywhere in there... I wonder how he feels knowing the only award he got this year was an NBA Championship.

LOL

MVP: James Harden (Houston)
RotY: Ben Simmons (Process)
6th Man: Lou Williams (Clippers)
Defensive Player: Rudy Gobert (Jazz)
Most Improved: Victor Oladipo (Pacers)
Coach of the Year: Dwayne Casey (Raptors Pistons)
Full voting results

You forgot to mention that Bill Russel flipped off Charles Barkley to great hilarity.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
So Free Agency has officially started, and it looks like we have our first big development of it: OKC's Paul George choosing to stay with OKC, despite heavy courting from the Jazz.

OKC just dumped a ton of money into keeping a squad of veteran players who got taken out in the 1st round last year and definitely wouldn't have taken out Houston or Golden State. I can't say I understand that.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Was it worth it, Magic? wink wink

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
LOL Lakers

Some salty Lakers fans because Paul George re-signed with the Thunder. I’m genuinely glad he stayed where he’s comfortable and happy. Fans can get caught up with their own fandom and forget these players are still people. The only thing that confused me was George didn’t sign a three years with a player option so he can opt out and get the 10-year veterans max. Maybe he was worried about injuries?

Lakers are still courting LeBron James and apparently, DeMarcus Cousins now who is working his way back from an Achilles tear. I don’t think that’s a bad plan because Cousins fits better with what the Lakers want to do with a certain disgruntled Spurs star. If they traded for Kawhi Leonard, I wouldn’t want to pay George, a third starting wing, $30 million to be the third option. The Lakers would have a hole at center. With Cousins, he may be more accommodating with his contract due to his injury. If the Lakers want Kawhi Leonard, they will need to structure both Cousins’ and Julius Randle’s contracts to be less in the second year. Additionally, maybe the Lakers can convince the Pelicans to do a sign and trade to dump Deng with Lonzo Ball and maybe a pick. Better than losing Cousins for nothing. Pick and roll with Ball and Anthony Davis would be something to sell fans.

Anyway, besides George, not too many surprises so far. Chris Paul gave up a fifth year to return to the Rockets. That contract is going to be awful in the latter half. I didn’t expect Trevor Ariza to sign with the Suns. He already has a ring so maybe he just wanted to get paid. Mark Cuban did the Lakers a huge favor by signing DeAndre Jordan instead of trying to pry Randle away with a rich offer sheet. It gives them more time to figure out what to do while James and Cousins decide what they’re going to do.
OKC just dumped a ton of money into keeping a squad of veteran players who got taken out in the 1st round last year and definitely wouldn't have taken out Houston or Golden State. I can't say I understand that.
I imagine the Thunder owners see value in putting a watchable roster and to try to keep Russell Westbrook happy. He starts sulking about not getting help and that super max is looking like a tough pill to swallow.
Was it worth it, Magic? wink wink
Yes. Three weeks ago, they didn’t know Kawhi Leonard was in play. Leonard is a much better player, but Magic didn’t know he would be available. Target the players you think you have a chance at signing.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Lakers officially signed LeBron James to a four year, $154 million deal.

Next up, DeMarcus Cousins. Come on...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
If Toronto manages to survive the Celtics and the Process, does the Eastern Conference title have an asterisk because Lebron went out West?
At least he doesn't have to worry about a ninth straight finals, though,
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile

It takes talent to screw over the same team twice. I think he'll find carrying a team to the Finals all by himself considerably more difficult in the West than in the Leastern Conference.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
If LeBron James cared about getting to the Finals next year, he wouldn’t have signed with the Lakers. He’s only in Los Angeles for his family and his brand. Without a sign and trade, Lakers are likely out of the running for DeMarcus Cousins after re-signing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope so James is betting Magic Johnson can pull a rabbit out of his hat and get him more help at the trade deadline or next summer. If nothing else, the Lakers should be more fun next season.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
LeBron going to LA means they'll probably get Cousins.  Which means the Pels will likely trade Anthony Davis, resulting in us turning into the Process: South. :(

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
No way the Pelicans trade Anthony Davis unless he demands a trade. A sign and trade to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball and Luol Deng (for CBA purposes) would be better than losing Cousins for nothing. Ball is a minus shooter, but he can get the ball wherever Davis needs it. Davis is also the best pick and roll player in the league. Pair him with great passer, and there’s something to build on. I’d be more worried about Danny Ainge tossing assets at the Pelicans. No need to trade him unless he wants out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Lakers signed Lance Stevenson ($4.5 million, room exception) and JaVale McGee  ($2.5 million, vet minimum). Oh, please bring back Nick Young.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
No way the Pelicans trade Anthony Davis unless he demands a trade. A sign and trade to the Lakers for Lonzo Ball and Luol Deng (for CBA purposes) would be better than losing Cousins for nothing. Ball is a minus shooter, but he can get the ball wherever Davis needs it. Davis is also the best pick and roll player in the league. Pair him with great passer, and there’s something to build on. I’d be more worried about Danny Ainge tossing assets at the Pelicans. No need to trade him unless he wants out.

The issue isn't if we want to keep him, but if he wants to stay in two years.  If they can pull a sign and trade, then that could work long term.  If not, we lose Cousins for nothing and in two years, we'll lose Davis for just as much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
The Pelicans even trading for DeMarcus Cousins was worth it even if he leaves. It shows how serious ownership/front office is to improving the team.

Agreeing to a sign and trade is in the Pelicans best interest if Cousins plans to leave anyway. They’d have to take a bath on Luol Deng’s contract, but it nets them a decent young piece for the next seven years.

Anyway, my hope is for the Lakers to play chicken with the Spurs regarding Kawhi Leonard. No need to include Brandon Ingram or Kyle Kuzma, let alone both. As long as the Lakers have cap space next summer, no one is will give up anything of value. The Spurs apparently asked the Sixers for three first round picks along with some young players. Leonard wants to play in Los Angeles, especially the Lakers now that they have LeBron. If the Lakers are patient, the Spurs may end up with Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (once he’s able to be traded), Ivica Zubac, and two late first round picks.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile

Did Toronto pitch in to pay for half that contract? You know what the Raptors are thinking now...

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
Raptors are chokers. If not Cleveland, it will be Boston or Philly. They have zero chance.

Also, LeBron signing and bringing over a bunch of old people he's played against. Where have I seen that move before?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Also, LeBron signing and bringing over a bunch of old people he's played against. Where have I seen that move before?
Who are you referring to? LeBron James will be the second oldest player on the Lakers after Luol Deng. Both are 33. JaVale McGee is 30, Lance Stephenson is 28, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is 25 (though he was on the Lakers last year). Everyone else already on the roster is 24 and under.

The three non-LeBron signings are one-year deals to keep a max slot open for next year to hold leverage over the Spurs and any team considering trading for Kawhi Leonard. LeBron James agreed to a four-year deal, giving the Lakers the luxury of time and patience. I doubt the plan is to gut the team for Leonard and sign a bunch of old, veterans minimum guys. As long as that max slot exists, it’s curtains for the Spurs. No team is desperate enough to give up decent assets to rent a currently injured player even if that player is top five. The Spurs better accept the fact that the best they can do are some draft picks and miscellaneous players to match salaries before the trade deadline in February. Stephenson and Caldwell-Pope probably gets the Lakers close enough once they’re eligible to be traded.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
It must be nice to be the Lakers, able to just give the salary cap a middle finger whenever you want & throw cash at buying any big name talent at will. -_-

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
It must be nice to be the Lakers, able to just give the salary cap a middle finger whenever you want & throw cash at buying any big name talent at will. -_-
If that was even remotely true, the Lakers wouldn’t have the lowest win percentage of any team over the last five years. Seriously, that’s mathematically true. Yes, that includes the Sixers who were actively and unabashedly trying to lose during four of those years. Jim Buss spent whole summers trying to throw money at players until his own sister fired him. Kevin Durant and just two days ago, Paul George didn’t even grant the team a free agent meeting. Are you even fucking trying? Don’t spread your fake bullshit around here, sir. I literally just countered it with simple math.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
I am having a hard time understanding the Lakers' roster moves. The only reasons I can see you wanting Rondo on your team is because a:LeBron remembers how good he played those times against him or b: they think they can cozy up to Boogie with him.

Just, why.