Author Topic: Donkey Kong: Original Edition Becomes Downloadable Reward for Select eShop Purchases  (Read 3207 times)

Offline Patchkid15

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile

If you buy certain retail games digitally, you can look forward to an added bonus.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31947

Purchasing select Nintendo download games on the Nintendo eShop can earn you Donkey Kong: Original Edition for free.

As reported earlier today, purchasing Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone and Crosswords Plus grants buyers the game for free. Nintendo has now added Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Style Savvy to the list of games that work with the promotion.

To claim your reward you must ensure your Club Nintendo account is linked to your eShop account and then purchase the title from the eShop. After the title has been registered to your account Nintendo will email you a free code in three-to-four weeks.

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
Can I just buy the Donkey Kong game somehow?
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop

Yes, but the Mario Wii PAL bundle. LOL. There is no way to buy just the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tylerohlew

• NWR Staff
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
As it stands, no. Nintendo claims the title won't be available for sale. If their sticktoitiveness to not release the GBA Ambassador games, or the the special editions of SMB or DK from the European and Japanese 25th Anniversary Wii consoles is any indication, then it may be a long time before we see it for sale.

Pretty bummed that the promotion is dedicated to digital versions of their retail products. I prefer physical products to something digital, so I don't see myself ever participating in this sale. I wish it was for eShop only products, then I'd have no problem whatsoever. And my concerns don't have anything to do with a lack of an centralized account, I just don't like digital products.

And really, another version of Donkey Kong isn't much of a reason to change my ways.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
But wait...there's more!
Gouge away.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile

The video states it won't be available to purchase . I really wish Nintendo of America would have the card you can buy representing the digital purchase, I can't put these games for amazon wish lists cuz they are digital copies and if I get physical copy I won't get this game. In all fairness I probably won't play dk anyway , just like I don't really play my ambassador games

Offline zenspath

• View Profile
    • Zenspath.com
As much as people want Nintendo to move into the internet age, I am really unhappy with the change they are making in regards to try and force people into buying games full price (more than retail sometimes) while locking other games away (possibly forever - looking at you Four Swords) if you dare spend the same amount on the physical copy.  Things like the extra play coins were a nice bonus for making the decision to go digital to some people, but locking out a game is a bit underhanded, but sadly not their first time.

I'm a collector that treats his collection as a library and a history of our heritage as gamers.  With over 2000 titles in my house right now, I obviously prefer to make my purchases as physical while trying to maintain their viability for later generations to enjoy (damn online passes that lock out single player content).  Don't get me wrong, I understand people's want for a digital library since my movies, my wifes hundreds of books (she really loves that damned Kindle), and my music all went that way, but games and comics just need to be physical in my case.  They should exist together...not one or the other.  Nintendo would ease alot of frustration if they just made the game available to purchase AT LEAST to individuals that register the said titles physical copies to their Club Nintendo accounts.  I would pay a few dollars for it along with the physical games I will be buying from their list regardless (Layton!)

This is a topic we have covered a few times on our show, and I always enjoy the discussion that comes from it.  I'm just worried that in Nintendo's attempts to play "catch up" to peoples expectations for an online system, store, and community that they will overdue it and burn their older minded fans. (Also give us the option to buy Four Swords so my youngest can join the rest of us in the game!)

Jeremy Powers
Host of the Zenspath.com Gaming Podcast
Jeremy Powers

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
zenspath, they have never forced people to pay more than retail. If you are talking about the UK, that is not Nintendo's fault. Nintendo is selling digital games for the same MSRP they give to retailers. It is just that retailers there tend to usually sell products for less than the MSRP. This would be like you complaining that Nintendo is charging $40 for NSMB2 when Amazon has it 3 cents cheaper.

Every digital product has a chance of going away. Four Swords was always designed to be a limited time thing (they said this before it even came out) and was just meant to help celebrate the Zelda anniversary.

They are offering incentives to buy digitally, and I see nothing wrong with it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Four Swords was always designed to be a limited time thing (they said this before it even came out) and was just meant to help celebrate the Zelda anniversary.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Nintendo just said that Four Swords was free for a limited time - I don't think they ever committed to actually removing it/never offering it again...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline zenspath

• View Profile
    • Zenspath.com
Now I will agree that "forced" was a bit powerful for a choice of word. 

So as for titles being cheaper in retail than they are in the eShop I am speaking directly in the US.  You can get New Super Mario Bros 2 on the eShop for $39.99 while I can find it locally for a bit lower and still get a copy that my entire family can share.  For that same cost I can get the digital release, and tough on sharing.  There are 3 3DS's in my house so far (4 but one was stolen) so games get passed around quite regularly.  Because of the physical copy not only do we have individual game saves, but we can compete against eachothers street pass Coin Rush scores as well. 

The games they are wanting us to buy like Crosswords Plus and Art Academy are already matching their price locally but do not allow us to get the donkey kong in any way, shape, or form.  I still would rather, if the prices are the same, get the physical copy especially if I can drop it even lower via either sales or other promotions that retail stores can run much more often.  Even Sony is at least trying harder by offering a 10% discount on their digital releases vs the store bought.  Value is based on the user, but this just doesn't seem to have value to me other than having me pay for a game 3 times for us all to use it. 

Now as for Zelda, I understand that it was for the 25th Anniversary of the Zelda franchise, but when you give away a multiplayer centered game to early adopters for free to help entice more players, what is the point if your friends are not getting 3DS systems or waited for an XL if there is no way to play with them on this great game?  We have it on 2 of our 3 3DS systems, and one DSi, but can't get it on the latest system or the one we are getting to replace the stolen one with.  So in a home where we regularly break out the GBA's and play Four Swords or FF: Crystal Chronicles on the TV, we can't enjoy that same game much easier on our new systems simply because Nintendo has decided to ignore it.  How much fun is it when we play one person has to sit out even though the necessary hardware is in their hands and this digital game is being forced to be unattainable when I make it my business to track down "rare" physical games. 
Jeremy Powers