Author Topic: <b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>  (Read 48450 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
<b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>
« on: August 16, 2005, 12:04:43 AM »
Twilight Princess will not be under the tree this Christmas.

Nintendo of America has sent a notice to analysts and the media that The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has been delayed to at least April 2006.  Eiji Aonuma's development team apparently wants extra time to polish off the game, and they're getting it.    

"After much discussion, the Zelda development team has requested extra time to add new levels, more depth and even higher quality to Zelda: Twilight Princess. Consequently, we're announcing a new global launch in 2006, after the conclusion of this fiscal year (March 31).  We'll provide a specific date at a later point in time.  While this may come as a disappointment to many eager fans, it will absolutely enrich the game and make it a multi-million seller.    

In the meantime, we're gearing up for a very high-profile fall and holiday season - one of the busiest we've ever had. Not only will we go full-bore on the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for the DS, featuring Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing DS (to name a few), we're putting a lot of marketing muscle behind Battalion Wars, Mario Superstar Baseball, Fire Emblem and Super Mario Strikers.    

Last, but not least, is the little power-packed guy who'll fit into your smallest pocket - Micro.  It'll start shipping Sept. 19.  It's hip, and the marketing to go along with it is too.  So, be on the lookout.

- Perrin Kaplan, Vice President, Marketing & Corporate Affairs, Nintendo of America Inc.    

Yes, that pushes Twilight Princess into at least April 2006, if not later.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: <b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:15:03 AM »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:16:17 AM »
Wow! I just sent a message to the hot tip thingy.

All I got to say:
Damn it! I thought this was going to be the best holiday season ever.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 12:23:43 AM »
Looks like there's a chance of a GameCube game being one of the big launch titles for Revolution. @_@
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
RE:<b>Zelda Delayed to 2006</b>
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 12:27:58 AM »
This sucks....

I wonder Perrin Kaplan, how many of these multi-million copies do you intend to sell after everyone has sold their GC's and bought XBOX 360's....
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:32:40 AM »
Now that you say it I do wonder if Nintendo is preping fans for TP becoming a REV launch title.

I also wonder (or rather hope) that this might just be a feint to get Microsoft to lower their defence for the 360 launch. Just to spring Zelda on them at the last second.  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Rob91883

• (Bro Dude)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:05 AM »
Too late to make an impact...AGAIN!  
MINKA would say," Whooo iz numba wan!!!??"

Im from California, sorry if I say dude a lot.

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Looks like there's a chance of a GameCube game being one of the big launch titles for Revolution. @_@

they will have to make Zelda:TP 1.5 for rev a few months later hehehe

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 12:39:38 AM »
anubis, you're crazy.  TP is not moving to Revolution (but it will play just fine on either GC or Rev), and Nintendo would not and could not fake a game delay just for strategic purposes.  This delay is big, big news for Nintendo's financial situation, for one thing.  With Zelda now moved to the next fiscal year, Nintendo will have to dramatically reduce earnings forecasts for this fiscal year.  That's not something you go through lightly.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 12:53:20 AM »

Originally posted by: Jonnyboy117
anubis, you're crazy.

Thanks for the complement. (No sarcasm intended)

My comments were more knee-jerk reactions rather than properly thought out theories. I guess I am just trying to rationalize this announcement in a way that my brain can process with out me turning into a mass of sobbing meat.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 01:11:36 AM »
Guess they didn't want to cut two dungeons again.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 01:15:06 AM »
Definitely disappointing news.

If I didn't have my DS to keep me company I would be a mass of sobbing meat by now.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 01:36:29 AM »
Holy crap... this is very interesting.

I'm going to guess we won't get any major Revolution news 'til E3 2006, which I would be happy about. Battalian Wars will have a chance to sell now. Delaying it to improve is great news, though I have a strange deep feeling that development of this isn't going so well...

Twilight Princess should come with a free GameCube. I'm still trying to take this news in

EDIT: Maybe it's actually cel-shaded! The new screens could easily be to throw us off! I want to believe!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 01:44:31 AM »
Either I've already gotten over it or the news hasn't sunken in yet.
In either case, I'm kind of glad we won't be getting a rushed product. A zelda game should never, ever feel rushed.

TP is not moving to Revolution

Seriously, why not?

"Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals." -Iwata

"However, development kits for the Nintendo Revolution are very similar to the ones for the GameCube. So we feel that the environments are so similar that they will be able to start development very quickly upon receiving the development kits for Revolution." -Miyamoto

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:32 AM »
Dude, this is most un-satin.

why release this news in the middle of the night?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 01:55:50 AM »

Seriously, why not?

Because we all want Twilight Princess, and we don't own a Revolution. Moving Twilight Princess to Nintendo Revolution = absolutely moronic. They can't just magically port it there, and if they did, it'd be exactly the same as it would be GC, except 20 million less people can play it. If they put the time and effort into moving it to Revolution it'd be a whole new game, and would be delayed like 2 years, and there already is a Zelda game in development for Revolution.

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 02:00:40 AM »
I guess they did it in the middle of the night as a way to punish Nintendo fans that stay up all night.

Or maybe it is because they are based in Japan which is in a different time zone.

... But why would Mrs. Kaplan be up this late when she is employed by NOA???

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2005, 02:07:08 AM »

Moving Twilight Princess to Nintendo Revolution = absolutely moronic. They can't just magically port it there, and if they did, it'd be exactly the same as it would be GC, except 20 million less people can play it. If they put the time and effort into moving it to Revolution it'd be a whole new game, and would be delayed like 2 years

They have a year, though. That's how long it took them to make Majora's Mask, right?
And, IF they could do it, it wouldn't be moronic...at least from a business stand point (REVS would sell faster than lon-lon milk if Zelda was a launch title.)

and there already is a Zelda game in development for Revolution.

What if they were talking about TP all along?  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2005, 02:23:57 AM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This holiday season is the time to catch up on bargain-priced games and others i haven't finished!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2005, 02:27:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I see I'm not the only one who thinks this is hilarious. Tragic, yet funny.
PEACE--->Rhoq

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 03:00:39 AM »

Because we all want Twilight Princess, and we don't own a Revolution. Moving Twilight Princess to Nintendo Revolution = absolutely moronic. They can't just magically port it there, and if they did, it'd be exactly the same as it would be GC, except 20 million less people can play it. If they put the time and effort into moving it to Revolution it'd be a whole new game, and would be delayed like 2 years, and there already is a Zelda game in development for Revolution.

You release the console with Zelda:TP so those 20 million want a Rev.  Plus everyone else.

The other Zelda game in development could be little more than a demo at this point, in which case I definitely move TP over to Rev.  I then release the second Zelda for Rev. 18 months later.  That's how you sell a damn system.  Releasing TP as a swan song is ridiculous.  It serves little purpose except to sell games, games that could easily be used to sell a console a few months later.  It's not going to move cubes.  I guess the one good point is, many may just wait for the Rev anyway, knowing Zelda GC will be compatible.  (yet another reason just to slide it to the next console)  Really, what's the point?  To appease the GC owners, who are going to get the Rev. anyway?

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 03:17:38 AM »
Who's buying a Revolution? What is the Revolution? Revolution doesn't even exist yet, nobody plans to buy one yet. We were promised a second Zelda on GC, and that's what we're going to get. Lots of people have it pre-ordered. GC has only been out 3 years here, I want more GC games, screw Revolution.

Also, I think it'd be interesting to see the reaction of people who just bought a Xbox 360 to see the GC still going strong "hey... Nintendo's console is still going strong, and that game looks great, why coudln't they just release these games I paid $500 to play on my old Xbox?"

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 03:46:47 AM »

Who's buying a Revolution? What is the Revolution? Revolution doesn't even exist yet, nobody plans to buy one yet. We were promised a second Zelda on GC, and that's what we're going to get. Lots of people have it pre-ordered. GC has only been out 3 years here, I want more GC games, screw Revolution.

You're saying you don't want the game on the rev. That's fine (Now that the game is delatyed I don't really care either way....though I am currently operating under the assumption that the rev will be awesome and worth owning.) I definetley understand...but I also think that, from a purely business perspective, launching rev with TP would be a good move.

And yeah, it would be nice if Nintendo was the sort of company to keep promises...but they really aren't, so you can't say/assume that the game will be released on the GC just because Nintendo said it would be.

And, yes, I would've really liked playing beautiful Zelda at the same time xboxers were weaping over their expensive yet inferior new product.....but, with the delay, that's not really not going to happen either way now.
In any case, this move doesn't really spell instant success for the 360. I'm feeling fairly sure that the hype for REV/PS3 will make this holiday season one, not for 360, but for the handhelds. Specifically: the Nintendo DS ...which is the only piece of hardware that's actual on the casual radar right now.

Offline WolfpackEE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 03:56:57 AM »
If Nintendo doesn't have a killer launch game for the Revolution, then I wish they would take the time to port TP and make it that killer app. There is currently alot of buzz in the general public over the Xbox 360 and PS3. While the Revolution isn't really being talked about. What better way to get the Revolution to fly off the shelfs than with a game everyone wants to play.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 04:07:46 AM »
Yeah, like Super Smash Bros.