Author Topic: Pikmin 3, DLC Delisted From Wii U eShop Following Deluxe Announcement  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

It joins Tropical Freeze and the Bayonettas on the MIA pile.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/54559/pikmin-3-dlc-delisted-from-wii-u-eshop-following-deluxe-announcement

Another retail title on the Wii U has vanished following the announcement of a Switch version.

Pikmin 3, along with all of its DLC, were discovered to be missing from the North American eShop this morning following the announcement of Pikmin 3 Deluxe for Switch. Nintendo is not officially commenting on the removal, and some retailers are still selling the disc version of the game on Wii U at the Nintendo Selects price.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was previously removed from the eShop just before its 2018 launch on Switch, and the Bayonetta titles are also missing from the Wii U eShop. Other titles, such as Hyrule Warriors, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and New Super Mario U + Luigi U, that came to Switch later are still available for purchase as of press time. The Bayonetta games are likely a licensing issue with Sega, while Pikmin 3 and Tropical Freeze were both sold for the Nintendo Selects price (US$19.99/C$29.99) until their delisting while the other titles are at the full Wii U price.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Pikmin 3, DLC Delisted From Wii U eShop Following Deluxe Announcement
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
I understand why they do it, and it's not really gonna effect a lot of people, but it still sucks. What I especially think sucks is that anyone who does own the Wii U version won't be able to buy the DLC if they don't own it. At least they try to make the Switch version more appealing by adding additional content other than just the DLC (in the form of additional side missions).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »
It seems like a really, really sleazy thing to do.

I get what Nintendo is thinking, but... How many people

A.) Have access to a Wii U
B.) Care about Pikmin 3
C.) Don't own Pikmin 3 already
D.) Can't find a used physical copy
E.) Own a Switch and will now buy the Switch version at full retail?

I feel like that subset of people is so small, it's going to be greatly overshadowed by the number of double-dippers.  There's being business-savvy, then there's being Scroogian levels of penny pinching.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 03:41:42 PM »
You'd also have to either have your Wii U still hooked up or care enough about Pikmin 3 to pull it out from wherever you're storing it to play.  Granted, more people may care with all the press for the port, but convenience is such a huge factor (so much that it's a selling point for the Switch).
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 05:54:47 PM »
Agreed with everyone, disappointing move from Nintendo. It's sensible as a business decision, and I'll even cede the amount of lost customers over this will likely be very low. And sure, maybe they'll reinstate it again and call it a "mistake" again.

But it's just a petty, greedy move, and I don't like the precedent it's setting. Doesn't really affect me, and in the grand scheme of the world's awfulness this is the least interesting hill to die on, but on principle I still wanna voice some displeasure here.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 08:23:13 PM »
The Metroid Prime Trilogy is another one that's worth picking up since that's been rumored to be coming to Switch for like a year. Those pointer controls are pretty slick.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
I figured it was more just to remove the price comparison so that the Switch version wouldn't be competing against the Wii U version. How many times have people voiced complaints when a third party will bring a game over to Switch (or past Nintendo console) that is full price when it is available for much less on one of the other consoles by that point? Then the game will often fail to sell well because of it. Removing it could be seen more like the game was on sale for awhile and that sale ended. Of course, removing it also does lesson the ability of people to acquire where they can get it. If people could get a third party game cheaper on another console they own then they most likely will. With the game only available on Switch then that's their only option for now unless they can get a used Wii U copy for cheaper. But for those buying it for the first time on Switch, I suppose it takes away the hesitation of getting it for full price since the alternative cheaper option no longer exists.

However, if it is a case of not wanting to compete against itself then I'm not sure why Nintendo just doesn't increase the price of the Wii U version back up to match the Switch version. I know it was on their Nintendo Selects series for the Wii U but it's not like that is some legally binding thing for which it must always and forever stay that way and at that price. With the game not being sold physically in retail for years, why should they feel it must stay that way just for the eShop? Mark the price up and then the DLC is still available as well. Sure, it will still get the same complaints of Nintendo being greedy like they are getting now by putting the price back up but at least the game could still be purchased on the system if anyone wants to play it there with the Gamepad.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 01:35:00 AM »
I wonder if, as someone who bought Pikmin 3 off the eshop, I would be able to download it again if I deleted it from my WiiU?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »
I wonder if, as someone who bought Pikmin 3 off the eshop, I would be able to download it again if I deleted it from my WiiU?

I recall that for de-listed games that were not pulled for exploit/legal reasons you could always redownload them, but they could have changed that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 12:48:20 PM »

Arrested Development Narration: "He could not."
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 05:35:19 PM »
Removing the DLC too seems pretty strange.

Fortunately it doesn't affect me, as I already got the DLC through Club Nintendo.