Author Topic: Games for mothers?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Games for mothers?
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:25:10 PM »
My mother got my old DS when I upgraded to a DSi and now she has the DSi since I've got a 3DS. So she plays DS games. The problem is that being a fairly hardcore gamer I don't have much of an overview over games that interest her.

She already played (or is currently playing) these games:
- Ace Attorney series (except Investigations because Capcom dropped the German translation from that and she doesn't speak English)
- Prof. Layton series
- Picross and Picross 3D
- Plants vs. Zombies (DSiWare)
- Last Window
- Brain Age
- Who Wants To Be A Millionaire

I'm out of ideas for games she could play. She doesn't like action games and she's very price conscious, considering 20€ expensive (that's 50% of the normal retail price) unless she can split the cost with me.
Any ideas?

Offline Pajamas

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Games for mothers?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:55:24 PM »
I'd go for Animal Crossing: Wild World. A few years ago my parents caught into the hype and bought a Wii, but never really played anything more than Wii Sports or Wii Play. I bought my mom Animal Crossing: City Folk for Christmas, and she went nuts with that game. I'd never seen her play any kind of video game with that much focus in my entire life. She loved it. She'd call me on Sundays just to tell me things she'd done to her house and what animals moved into town. Needless to say, it was a good purchase for her, she really enjoyed it.
3DS Friend Code: 0044-2803-2317

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
There are a bunch of DSiWare games that would be good. For starters, how about Trajectile and Spin Six? They're cheap, and could help gauge whether she likes puzzle games.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »
Puzzle Quest (do not get puzzle quest Galactrix, it is more terrible than you could imagine), Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes (excellent puzzle combat if the fantasy setting doesn't turn her off), and Meteos if she likes fast paced puzzles.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »
Agree with Puzzle Quest and Animal Crossing. They won't appeal to everyone, but when the do appeal to someone they are incredible games to get into.

Is there a translation for Hotel Dusk available? That's a pretty sweet mystery game that she might enjoy.

Clubhouse Games (aka: 42 All-Time Classics in Europe) is another excellent choice. Tons of replay value in that one, and the games are accessible and often familiar for anyone.

Would something like Ivy the Kiwi appeal to your mom?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »
Like I do to all women, I would suggest Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:48:19 AM »
Well, my wife isn't really a gamer, but loves playing NSMB DS, Tetris, Mario Kart DS, and the Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.) 
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »
AC isn't exactly cheap to try but I guess I could hand her Clash of Heroes and Reflect Missile since I have those already. I doubt that she'll like either but we'll see.

Like I do to all women, I would suggest Cooking Guide: Can't Decide What to Eat?

We already have that and the sequel with recipes that aren't made in Japan.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:09:22 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:21:51 PM »
Peggle.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:55 PM »
999 hasn't been localized in Europe yet, correct? If it has, I think she would like it.

If not, consider March of the Minis, Harvest Moon, Broken Sword, Time Hollow, or Trace Memory. All of these should be under the monetary limit, although you might have to find them used rather than new.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:19 PM »
AC isn't exactly cheap to try but I guess I could hand her Clash of Heroes and Reflect Missile since I have those already. I doubt that she'll like either but we'll see.

The whole style of Clash of Heroes turns off a lot of Mom types right away with the anime style story telling but I have seen them get into the actual puzzles before.  I think Puzzle Quest is easier for older people to get into for that reason.  The puzzle board also looks much more familiar instead of lines of bears.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:50:07 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
My mom once stole my DS for a month just to play Trauma Center.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics