Author Topic: GameCube SP  (Read 9173 times)

Offline willow_yatta

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« on: May 04, 2003, 04:55:35 PM »
It's really sad to hear that people are buying consoles because of their 'coolness' factor. How 'cool' it would look right next to the TV, how 'cool' the color is, how 'cool' it is because its black & has all this extra plastic that just adds weight, how 'cool' it is because there's this 'cool' green plastic in the middle... etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseaum.

I think Nintendo needs not to change the GameCube design in any way. I think the critics are wrong, this system is perfect. Why? Because it has everything that a 'gamer' needs when playing games. When did DVD playback became a standard in game consoles? And according to a close friend, the PS2's DVD player plays like sh*t. Also on the GameCube, we're given an option for broadband or dial-up. I think that's great! You're not stuck with one format. A system that needs serious redesigning is a console that's still stuck with 2 controller ports.

Its also sad to note that many people don't know how to judge good design from bad.  Being an architecture major, I think the GameCube can be summed up in a design philosophy by Frank Lloyd Wright- 'Form follows Function'. That is the Gamecube & it beats out all the competition. Why? Everything on the GameCube has a function, the lines, the buttons, everything! Unlike another console that needs serious redesigning, because there's this huge, useless piece of cheap green plastic in the middle. But from what I heard, you can see a certain 'Bill' taking a bath if you stare at it long enough. *hehe*

What Nintendo needs to do is to reintroduce the GameCube through an extensive marketing campaign. I'm thinking sort of like the I-Mac ads. Simple, Informative, & Entertaining. Also, Nintendo should do a user poll and ask which colors of the Gamecube they would buy then produce the colors that would come out on the Top 10. They should emphasize the simplicity, & functionality of the GameCube. Also, since their competitors are playing dirty with them, Nintendo should join the Mud wrestling. Throwing in comments like, 'Which console do you think is stuck in the 80's? The one with 2 controller ports or the one with 4. The Nintendo GameCube. It's Born to Play.'

I just hope I made a few insights here. Well, till my next post!

Also, I want you all to know that I do have a GameCube. I have the purple one & its 'sweet'! ^_^  
YATTA! everything anime is celebrating one year online!
www.tfme.net/yattanime

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2003, 05:08:10 PM »
All the GameCube is, is a system to play games. Not watch dvds, I have a dvd player for that. Not to play cds, I have a cd player for that. Its to play games and thats what I need. I love how the GameCube is designed because it fits perfectly in my little space above my dvd player. I could careless if my GC can play dvds.  
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2003, 05:16:55 PM »
Well, I agree with alot of your points, in fact what you say about the GCN being exactly what it was designed to be, a gaming machine, really hits home.  I think its ridiculous that all of a sudden gaming consoles need to have a DVD player built in, etc.  And you are correct, Nintendo needs to market more that their console is just that, a gaming machine.  However, and this part really bothers me, is that ignorant "gamers" (note the quotes) do buy what is "cool" (again, note the quotes) and not what will have the best games.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2003, 06:06:27 PM »
The general population, which is what a company wants to attract, are into the looks of an item first.  They know hardcore gamers will buy a system for the games, so what they're shooting for is mass appeal and what people think will look cool in their entertainment center.  I don't care at all,  i'm in it for the games...but a big percentage are obviously not.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2003, 06:09:38 PM »
I think Gamecube looks best anyway.  The Xbox is a hunk of crap and PS2 is just unappealing to me.  But of course I bought the system for the games, not the looks.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2003, 07:14:53 PM »
Wether you agree to it or not, the DVD player is an important factor by todays standards. I brought my PS2 not only because I wanted some of the games, but also a DVD player for my room. Now I know you will say "if you want a DVD Player go buy one" its not as easy as that. The money factor influences people greatly, people like more bang for their buck so to speak. A system that plays games, AS WELL as DVD and CDs and is a reasonable price is sure to attract a lot of casual gamers as well as people like me. To say that the GameCube doesnt need one is a bit stupid. Think about the Casual Gamers and what they are going to pick.

As for the look of the System. Are you looking at your console when you are playing games? No? Then what are people whinging about [Im not talking about you guys, im talking about the critics etc]  

Offline willow_yatta

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003, 08:16:48 PM »
Ok sure... I get the bang for the buck thing etc.

But a game console let me repeat a 'GAME' console with no DVD player is not stupid. And again because its not a Media Hub or whatever S & MS call their machines, but a GAME console. Are you getting me?

So a new perspective pops up... Nintendo isn't 'out-of-touch' when it comes to gaming. Actually, you can say that they're the ultimate GAMING company. Why? Because of the GameCube. It plays games period. And plays the greatest games at that. See? Now who's out-of-touch?

I can see it now... If Nintendo does relaunch the GameCube with a new ad campaign they could go for something like this... 'Which GAME console do you really need? The one that slices & dices or the one that plays the greatest GAMES?  The Nintendo GameCube. It's Born to Play.'

Can you see it now? Also, its not a battle between Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo. The current console battle looks like this. Sony vs. Microsoft-The Battle for the Media Hub or whatever they call their machines. Nintendo-The winner of the GAME console battle.

Sure Nintendo didn't sell enough GameCubes as they thought they would but their company is still PROFITABLE. They still earned money from GameCube, while S & MS are struggling with debts. Why? Because they lose money with every console sold.

So now do you get it? And again, A game console may I repeat a GAME CONSOLE with no DVD PLAYER is not stupid.

If you're a casual gamer, that's ok. But I hope you become hardcore soon. ^_^
www.tfme.net/yattanime

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
RE: GameCube SP
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 08:44:07 PM »
The cube can't play DVDs... Maybe a problem for some. But that also means no modchip in the world can make the Cube play warez. Maybe a problem for even more.

I hope Nintendo won't try to appeal to the masses. Appealing to the masses means unneeded functionality, cool graphics and mature content. And of course countless rehashes of the same game over and over again. Gameplay isn't enough to attract a person who has never read a review. The masses are dumb, don't expect rational behaviour. How do you think EA hold their position? Innovative gameplay?

Offline Zy[T]HeR

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 09:03:04 PM »

Originally posted by: willow_yatta
Ok sure... I get the bang for the buck thing etc.

But a game console let me repeat a 'GAME' console with no DVD player is not stupid. And again because its not a Media Hub or whatever S & MS call their machines, but a GAME console. Are you getting me?

So a new perspective pops up... Nintendo isn't 'out-of-touch' when it comes to gaming. Actually, you can say that they're the ultimate GAMING company. Why? Because of the GameCube. It plays games period. And plays the greatest games at that. See? Now who's out-of-touch?

I can see it now... If Nintendo does relaunch the GameCube with a new ad campaign they could go for something like this... 'Which GAME console do you really need? The one that slices & dices or the one that plays the greatest GAMES?  The Nintendo GameCube. It's Born to Play.'

Can you see it now? Also, its not a battle between Sony, Microsoft, & Nintendo. The current console battle looks like this. Sony vs. Microsoft-The Battle for the Media Hub or whatever they call their machines. Nintendo-The winner of the GAME console battle.

Sure Nintendo didn't sell enough GameCubes as they thought they would but their company is still PROFITABLE. They still earned money from GameCube, while S & MS are struggling with debts. Why? Because they lose money with every console sold.

So now do you get it? And again, A game console may I repeat a GAME CONSOLE with no DVD PLAYER is not stupid.

If you're a casual gamer, that's ok. But I hope you become hardcore soon. ^_^

Seriously dude, someone isnt going to buy a console just because its labled a "Gaming Console". I would consider the PS2 to be an Entertainment console. Now if you actually read what I said, you will notice that I never stated that either the PS2 or XBox were a True gaming console. Personally who gives a rats Ar$e if a console isnt a "True" gaming system. It just means that people like you and me are missing out on features. Now Im not a casual gamer, I live for games, but it just annoys me when people say the GameCube doesnt need DVD playback. Because if you want to tap into the Casual Gaming market it is needed. Ok lets look at this situation. Im a person who is interested in games, yet I know nothing about any console.

I have a features list of all 3 consoles. I have looked at the games. Which one do you think im going to pick? [Now Im not just saying this, I have seen this in many gamestores. I love Nintendo and they will always be my first preference, so there is no biasm here] Natually I would go for a PS2 or a XBox, because they offer more features over the GameCube. Can you see what Im trying to say? In my previous post I was talking about Casual Gamers not a "Hardcore gamer" as you call them. I never said a game console was stupid because it didnt have a DVD player. What I said was to THINK a console shouldnt have a DVD player is a bit stupid. Nintendo and every other company are in business to make money. Naturally they are going to try and sell products to appeal at a wide range of gamers. I think a DVD player/CD player works well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2003, 10:57:57 PM »
fuck it. I have an apex player that plays all sorts of video formats. Divx, Divex, DVD, VCD, SVCD, unformated data discs with mpegs on them. Ps2 could never play that stuff. So i got a cool cd player for
70 dollars and a gamecube for 200. 270 was a great price on november 18, 2001.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Shar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2003, 12:57:03 AM »
I too am a long-time Nintendo fan but I disagree with the general consensus here. willow_yatta your insights into console design and consumer interest sound naive at best. Zy[T]HeR on the other hand is painting the right picture. Your hardcore gamer, who is probabally anybody who can be bothered enough to actually join discussions in a fourm, typically has loyalties and is reasonably informed about hardware and software across all formats. These people will buy a console regardless of asthetics and functionality... or even if there are no games they really like at the time. Does this sound like anybody familiar? However, hardcore gamers only make up a small percentage of the gaming world hence the need to appeal to the casual gamer.

Now is case anyone had not noticed, the Gamecube is cute, small and indeed toy-like. Since casual gamers are typically people in their late teens and early twentys the design and image of the competition would naturally be more appealing to them... but there are two other key factors which influence their purchase. When going into a game store and seeing an entire wall of PS2 software versus a small section for Gamecube (if they get that far into the store) the natural impression is that PS2 is better.... and guess what you will see if you look at current sales figures.

The other factor is of course functionality in the form of the DVD player. Ask yourself this, is the reason you dont want DVD playback in a console because the Gamecube does not have it? If Gamecube had DVD playback and the XBOX didn't and they were both the same size would you buy an XBOX instead? You may not need or want DVD playback but obviously most other people do. At the very least even if people dont need it because they have a stand-alone DVD player with XBOX and PS2 they have the feeling of getting something for nothing.

I'm not trying to flame anyones oppinion since everybody is entitled to that. However, a lot of the views regarding Gamecube and the competition seem to be clouded by loyalty.  I understand your oppinions and motives but can you think outside the box and do the same?

Offline colmag

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 08:36:12 AM »
Good discussion!

I've been PC-biased for about 10 years (since about the megadrive time).  I bought a PS2 about 12 months ago, because I wanted to play a couple of games in particular, and I also wanted a DVD player...

I just bought a cube, 'cos I wanted to play Zelda.

There's a pattern here folks... buy something that does what you want it to do!!!!!  It's simple.  You want a cheapo dvd/console, buy a ps2.  You want a xbox, buy a PC , you want a brilliantly designed machine to brilliantly designed games, buy a Gamecube.  

As far as gaming goes, each brand has it's own particular titles, you make the choice, and buy the console.

As for design, out of the 4 platforms, there is simply no competition.  My PC is about 2'x2'x1' & weighs a tonne.  My PS2 has got the quite possibly the worst bit of aesthetic product design in history.  The gamcube is fantastic.  It's small.  It's to the point. (an no, i didn't miss the xbox out of the design bit by accident ).

All Nintendo have to do is follow Nokia's lead, and release a cube with a set of clip on covers, then anyone can make their console look however they want.  If they included a power socket, you could have all kinds of neon boxes popping up

Another point here, is the quality of the components inside the box.  My PC has top notch components, 'cos i could choose them.  The PS2, well, I wouldn't agree that it's dvd playback sucks (i think it's perfectly acceptable), but it's image quality in games is incredibly bad.  I bought a quality scart lead, and the gamecube on a composite lead still kicks the crap out of the ps2.  The picture and sound quality of the gamecube blows me away.

Anyway, i've said enough

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2003, 09:58:14 AM »
Nintendo has made it clear that it's trying to distance itself from Sony and MS. Sony and MS are turning their consoles into multimedia machines for a very mainstream audience. Nintendo sees this as an oppurtunity to be the ONLY company left creating a traditional game console for more serious gamers. This means it will appeal to a MUCH smaller audience but the HUGE benefit is it won't have to directly compete with Sony and MS and will have an entire market all to itself. In time, we'll be able to say Nintendo has a monopoly on the hand-held and console-gaming markets while Sony and MS will be fighting it out for the mutlimedia machine market.
Creating a version of the GC with DVD/CD playback would just undermine that plan.

Perhaps releasing a new clear-case version of the same old Gamecube and advertising the hell out of it could do something for Nintendo's image though. But, really, the jet black and platinum Gamecubes already look cooler than the XBox and PS2 combined. So I don't buy into this notion that people aren't buying the Gamecube because of how it looks for a moment.

Offline XBR

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2003, 12:52:44 PM »
This is so stupid.  What is the matter with having a DVD player in a console? Nothing.  Why do you people stoop down to the Xbox and PS2 owner's level. Stop complaining about something you dont have, and start cheering about something you do have!  
Rocko's Modern Life....
       ...the good ole days

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2003, 01:20:43 PM »
"This means it will appeal to a MUCH smaller audience but the HUGE benefit is it won't have to directly compete with Sony and MS and will have an entire market all to itself."

This is all fine and good in theory but in reality Nintendo is in competition with Sony and Microsoft regardless of what Nintendo says or what they're initial plans are.  Many people who buy a PS2 or Xbox buy it instead of a Gamecube.  Most casual gamers feel that buying one console is good enough for their needs.  If the Gamecube truly wasn't competing with the Xbox or PS2 then more people would be buying them to complement each other.  A toaster and a microwave do very similar tasks but they aren't in competition with each other because most people will buy both and feel they're different enough to warrant two purchases.  That's not the case with the Gamecube.  The Cube is in a situation more like the Mac.  Technically the Mac and the PC are different but they do roughly the same thing so most people will buy one or the other.  It's the same thing with the Gamecube, the PS2 and the Xbox.  All three do practically the same thing and therefore most people buy only one.  Therefore the Gamecube is in direct competition with the other consoles.

Since the Cube is competing with the other consoles it makes sense for it to have similar features like DVD support.  Otherwise in the eyes of the general public it's missing a feature and thus is inferior.  Now most hardcore gamers don't care but for the average person an absent feature is a good enough excuse to buy a different console.  To the average person there are no consoles that play games and DVDs and one console that only plays games.  Which console is that person going to buy?  If they do no research on the games themselves (which very few people do) they're going to base their decision on the hardware.

While there are some very good reasons for including DVD support there aren't really any good reasons for not including it.  Reasons like "it doesn't fit Nintendo's focus" and "the Gamecube is a games-only platform" aren't really strong arguements.  Having a second Gamecube model with DVD support doesn't negatively affect the Gamecube in any way whatsoever (especially when such a model already exists in Japan).  Any arguements against it are about as weak as those used by PS2 fanboys to justify why it's good for the PS2 to have only two controller ports.

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 01:33:51 PM »
All I can say is wait until 5 years from now when every household has 1 to 2 DVD players by themselves, then what will Microsoft and Sony have accomplished, besides losing money?
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)

Offline AERO

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2003, 02:28:02 PM »
You know, I really hate it when I hear people use words like "mainstream" in an attempt to digrade the quality of a product, simply becuase their bitter that one thing isn't doing as well as another and they need to find some possible solution why that is. Although that reason certainly must be the one products fault, or its ownersgroup as a whole's fault and not the product they enjoy. Becuase if you enjoy a product more then another then that product certainly doesn't warrent respect nor its fanbase.

I don't even own a PS2 btw.

Never the less if your talking about buying a console becuase of its "coolness" factor, such as colors, then why would you suggest nintendo release more colors for the gc?  

P.S. One last thing. It sickens me to here some of your guys thoughts on other counsols. Not so much that you think them. But please don't turn around 10 seconds later and call yourself a gamer after that. Becuase your defacing the name for the rest of us.  

Offline willow_yatta

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2003, 04:34:55 PM »
OK, ok you got me there...

But by producing different colors for the GC, this would create diversity. Meaning people who wish to buy won't just have 3 colors to choose from. Not because the colors are cool. But at least they can choose colors that would match or accent the area where they'll put their systems.

But still you got me there... very good!

And with the DVD player debate I won't say anything because it is clearly a no win or a win win situation.

The competition debate I'm still going for Nintendo being the best Gaming Company. Not an Entertainment company but a Gaming Company. What matters to all of us is... that Nintendo isn't dying out soon. Because if there's one thing I know of Nintendo it is that they're a profitable company.

Let's get back to the original discussion. Does Nintendo need to release a GameCube SP? Maybe if they want direct competition from Sony & Microsoft & No, because, again, the system is perfect.

What does Nintendo need to do? (This is kind of a hobby for everyone nowadays don't you think?) They need to relaunch or reintroduce the GameCube with an extensive media campaign. With the right marketing Nintendo can definitely sell more of its systems around the world. And again, playing dirty might just be the way.... I'm thinking again here, how about something like this, 'Is a console still a console when it has a hard drive, and a fan large enough to cool your drink? The Nintendo GameCube. A Gaming console that's Born to Play.' Or how about underlining Miyamoto as a master of Game Design? There are tons of ways.

OK now it all boils down to this...
Do you like your GameCube as it is? Me...yes!
Do you mind that it can't play DVDs? Me...no!
Are you enjoying your GameCube? Definitely..yes!
So as long as we're enjoying I think we shouldn't care about sales figures or user-base numbers. All I can say now is too bad for those who didn't give the GameCube a chance. They're missing out a lot!
www.tfme.net/yattanime

Offline AERO

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2003, 05:19:17 PM »
I personally benifited from a console with a dvd player becuase I didn't have one, and if I had gone with the gc, I would probably still not have a dvd player for $$$ reasons, giving me a smaller dvd library for the eventual switch. So it would help those like me. Although sony and microsofts disicition to add dvd players weren't really originally. Just more of a perk since their game disks used a dvd rom drive anyway. Didn't take as much effort as it would have for nintendo to release the Q.

As for hard drives, I can't see why it would be a negative. I mean. Just becuase PC's have a hard drive, is a stupid reason for someone to say that its like a pc. It would expand the gc's functionality. The only thing negative it might do is leave a few sores on people that keep the saying things like hard drive = pc remarks. For the rest, who are man enough to say "f*ck it" their gaming experience only gets better. I wouldn't care if xbox got internet website access. Sure some people might say, haha its only more of a pc now. But, the reality check... "Hey we have yet another feature yours can't do. You would be the one loosing on the deal here..."  

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2003, 12:04:52 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation
I think Gamecube looks best anyway.  The Xbox is a hunk of crap and PS2 is just unappealing to me.  But of course I bought the system for the games, not the looks.

We must be one of those gaming consumers that fall in the very-rare category.
I feel the Gamecube is the most coolest looking and most appealing console by far of the current generation (why? because its the most simplest design & doesnt need retro looking designs that the competition had used which already makes their set-top-boxes look like 1980's VHS players***) and on top of that its the system that I want or wanted most for its software. I am so lucky. Therefore I apologise for adding feedback to this post as I dont feel Nintendo need to have a new image campaign because of my above opinions and my next opinion. I dont give a Bowser's poo dropping if mainstream markets arent appealled by the Gamcube.

The industry became all dumbass as soon as this "console wars" issue was focused on sales figures of Hardware.
I see Nintendo still in #1 position not because of its Hardware sales figures (whatever position they are in now or in future) but because of its technological advances. Efficient consoles, handhelds, and Arcades all focusing on gameplay entertainment and unrelient on any other gimmick or any other entertainment industry.
To me as a gamer and not as a mainstreamer newbie (you see them at your school, you see them at the skate bowl) getting into a topic about superior hardware sales figures or userbase numbers, to me its about technology its not about image perceptions.

Sure one could add its not about "technology" or its advances that Nintendo constantly makes but reasonably argue its all about "quality software" but as far as Im aware Nintendo's Hardware is built around their software philosophies of realtime gaming-only interactive entertainment without the need of excessive pre-rendered FMV to hide the yawn-worthy loadtimes and if Nintendo was indeed in the dark ages like Sony and not have fullscreen anti-alaising or not have pretty much flawless wireless controllers to eliminate 4 player controller wire tangles and furthermore emphisizes focus on plug and play gaming, then any dark ages lack-of-advances would not be good enough for me.

Lucky for me Nintendo satisfy my needs whether it be console (rather than set-top-box) or mobile gaming handheld (focusing purely on gaming-only also) all but for Online multiplayer which I am more than willing to wait for when Nintendo is ready to entertian me. Rather than to do the norm thing and rush it out (Online Gaming) for the sake that competition is struggling to make $$$ off it.

2003 = Nintendo & co's greatest E3 ever

*** PS the PS2 is the most unoriginal console design ever, its a complete ripoff of the prototype Atari Microbox which was design almost a decade before the PS2.

Offline egman

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2003, 02:54:11 AM »
I agree with most posters here. Personally, I think the GC is the slickest looking console. I think the whole toy thing came from Nintendo pushing the Indigo color as the standard rather than the Cube design. Instead of blowing a whole wad of cash on a console redesign, I think they should do what the first poster suggested. Reintroduce the Cube, except this time, emphasize Platinum and Black while decreasing the numbers of or even phasing out the Indigo color cubes in the US.

Also, I honestly don't think more functionality would help Nintendo either. The days when DVD playback could help sell the console have quickly faded away considering you can get a machine at VCR prices these days. I don't even think it was a factor for the Xbox. Sony are the only ones to really benefit from that functionality because their console was released at the time DVD was really hitting the mainstream.

I also agree with one of the posters who said something earlier about making Nintendo's console different. After recently getting a GBA SP, I really think Nintendo should look at the feasiblity of making a console with that kind of portability. Instead of a set top box stuck in your living room equipment rack, you can have a Next gen console that can be played literally anywhere with little to now extra equipment required. That would certainly put Nintendo in a whole different class.

The main thing needed for Nintendo's image is appealing games. I love Nintendo games. I don't think I could see a Pikmin or Animal Crossing from the other consoles. But I won't deny any longer that these games have limited appeal to the group that Nintendo needs to court the most, the late teens and early adults. While Nintendo doesn't need to make a GTA or Halo clone themselves, they need to get some 3rd party on board fast who are willing to put together an exclusive title with that same kind of appeal. As much as I'm excited about the new MGS remake or Star Wars I'm not sure those will get it done this year. RE4 might be the key, but it needs to pumped up as much as possible by Capcom and Nintendo and given the typical GC treatment. They can no longer promote GC games as intersting diversions, need to the attitude of MS and Sony that these games are too "cool" to live without.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2003, 06:00:53 AM »
The Cube was appealing for me because I could afford it. I had only 200EUR, not enough for the PS2 or XB. Casual buyers also care about the price. But, looking at the average liquidity of my sister (who I use as a good example for average people) even 200 is too much...

BTW, am I the only person that was so uninformed at time of buying that they didn't even know that XB/PS2 can play DVD?

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2003, 08:48:19 AM »
I hate it when people give me that "Nintendo is better than that! They only need hardcore gamers!" crap. Nintendo wants to make money, they don't make the games to let the little children be happy. They want money. Frrankly, if Nintendo wants more money they should just add more features. I love Gamecube and I hate PS2 and am not really a fan of XBox but I think they did the smart thing, because look whose doing better. Also, to all you people who are saying "I don't care if a console looks cool, I just play it for the games!" if you don't care, why don't you think the GCN should make their systems look cooler? According to you, the image has nothing to do with it so it shouldn't matter. If Nintendo wants more customers, they need cool-looking systems with features. Face it.

Also, I think that the term "Hardcore Gamer" is stupid. Anyone who calls themselves a hardcore gamer makes me want to throw a pie at them. There's nothing "hardcore" about playing video games.

GameCube SP
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2003, 09:04:22 AM »
I like the way the GC looks too...I just don't get what some people are thinking.  I do think that releasing a GC SP would be a good idea however, just as long as they aren't spending much more money to make it (got that, Matthew?).  One of Nintendo's key points is that they make the most actual profit out of the three game companies, and making something akin to the money-sucking Xbox (which costs MS WAY too much cash to make) just to be "cool" and draw more mainstreamers in would be committing sales suicide.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power...its burning grip tells me to defeat you!!!"

-Domon, G Gundam

Offline kennyb27

• View Profile
GameCube SP
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2003, 12:24:43 PM »
Matthew, the sad part is, Microsoft is not making money on their console.  As of right now they lose $50 (USD) on every console they sell.  And with E3 coming up, I am certain we will see another $50 decline in the cost of each console, so that means Microsoft $100 on each console.  Is that smart business?

if you don't care, why don't you think the GCN should make their systems look cooler?
It's not that we don't want Nintendo to put out a system that looks cooler, it's that we can live with the GameCube as it is and we don't want to see Nintendo shell out money just to re-do their console for the next 2 years.  Again, that wouldn't be smart business.
-Kenny