Author Topic: Future Mafia Games  (Read 415496 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Future Mafia Games
« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2017, 03:27:27 AM »
I'm thinking the Zelda theme might be the way to go. While I still have some gaps in knowledge of the series (I'm pretty strong on having played games released in the series before 2007 and then things get really spotty on the newer ones), I could definitely see it working. Stevey could bring the Girl Link hawtness we've been waiting for since 2006 when these games pretty much started so that's a plus as well.

As for future games why don't we end them on 100?

I'd love to see us keep playing to 100 or more but realistically I don't think we'd make it. We'll have played 75 games and that is with my hosting about 1/3 of those games. Having just not had the time I used to when hosting these games, it's gotten harder for me to devote the time I'd like to them and I haven't been happy with the effort and result of some of these recent games I hosted. While there's always the chance I could host some more in the future, I'm planning for a future of being very limited in the amount of games and opportunities I might have to host one. I wasn't even sure I wanted to host another Safe Words game but I finally went for it and started this current one.

As it stands, a couple of people have requested to host games past Mafia 75 so it won't be the last one but we'll see what the turn-out is for those games. It used to be that you could get 16-20 players pretty regularly here which is great for a good game but now it just seems to be about 10 per game and then you struggle to find more and hope you can at least get to 13 for a semi-decent game. You still have people laying low and not participating so with the lower turnout, the game can feel even more dead at times.

Or as Mop it up put it:

It doesn't really matter, it isn't like people will post anyway. :(

By the way, on the subject of game posting, I never did properly congratulate you on the lolmonade roleplay. I thought that was a tough assignment (compared to a other possibilities) but you really made it work with some great quotes in the latter half of the game and I applaud you for the work you did. Wish more had done the same.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1101 on: July 02, 2017, 02:09:23 AM »
HEY i thought the waluigi one was great plus the one thing from my latest was the new roles i thought they were good too.
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: July 02, 2017, 02:33:13 AM »
It was great. That was my point. If we tried to do another Waluigi game, I don't think it would be near as entertaining as yours was. It was a one-time only special thing. Whereas other themes used in past games could probably be done again because there wouldn't be huge expectations it had to meet or surpass.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: July 02, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
But if you choose Pokémon, then I can bust out this beauty again:

It doesn't really matter, it isn't like people will post anyway. :(
By the way, on the subject of game posting, I never did properly congratulate you on the lolmonade roleplay. I thought that was a tough assignment (compared to a other possibilities) but you really made it work with some great quotes in the latter half of the game and I applaud you for the work you did. Wish more had done the same.
Thanks mate. Yeah, in the beginning I wasn't so sure I was going to be able to do much with lolmonade. I decided to take a cue from your own acting of copy/pasting BeautifulShy's posts (you did a fine job yourself, I might add), but to put my own spin on it I focused on using lolmonade's posts as responses to other people. He had a more extensive posting history than I thought, so I was able to find some goodies.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 03, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
I know who I'll be roleplaying as for a Pokemon themed game.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: August 31, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »
When were we starting this next game? Was hoping we could get it going before school started next month.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:08 PM »
There is no Mafia 75. We're skipping right to 76. I'm officially declaring it.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 01, 2017, 07:04:01 PM »
What are you talking about? We played Mafia 75 and it was the greatest Mafia game ever. It was so good we all agreed to remove any trace of it from the forums so that the other 74 Mafia games didn't look so deficient in comparison to it. I guess you had to be there.

Yeah, as mentioned earlier, I wasn't going to be ready to go until end of July at the earliest. However, it's been a busy August for me. September looks even better since I may be about to move during the latter half of it. If that doesn't happen then I'll try and get something going but October 1st would be the starting date for the big 75 bash at this point. However, if the move happens then it would be latter half of October before I'd probably be ready to host.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 06, 2017, 01:54:33 PM »
With the way activity has been going, there probably could have been a new game and I wouldn't see it.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1109 on: September 08, 2017, 06:14:15 AM »
Sorry been distracted with the NWR discord  :cool; .
So when is my turn to host again?
Made you look ****.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: October 20, 2017, 05:15:24 AM »
I don't know how many Zombie Mafia games there have been, but I did have my failed Zombie game.

The idea of special accounts like in the Zelda mafia is appealing.

Or The Thing Mafia.

At any point the Thing can take over an account. We wouldn't know who is The Thing and who is a player.
When they've been infected the password changes. They're out the game.

The game should start off with 2 strains of The Thing. Competing against each other and Townies.

RJ MacReady is the Detective - he does a blood test every night

Dr. Copper can protect a player each night. He can only protect himself one time.

Childs - Childs is super cool. That's why he can change a players mind on the vote.

Gary- Gary has a gun, but he doesn't have bullets after shooting the Norwegian. If MacReady does a test on Gary, then Gary gets gun power. He then gets to shoot a player every night except MacReady. If Gary becomes infected Gary shoots himself.

Dr. Blair is the Killer - Nobodies getting out alive. The risk of a global infection is too high. He wins if he is the only person left.

Thing 1 - Can take over an account each night. As time goes by he acquires more accounts. This player will pretend to be other players. If Thing 1 tries takes over a Thing 2 account it assimilates that clone. The clone becomes a perfect clone and stays in the game.

Thing 2 - A different form of Thing. This player can take over a player each night. But it is imperfect. Its imitations die after 2 nights. At any point in the game there can only be two. The original dies as well. If Thing 2 tries to take over a Thing 1 strain it dies. If all Thing 1 clones die Thing 2 evolves and can make perfect clones.

Things do not earn player skills, but they do earn their memories.

The thing wins if there are no more townies left.

The townies win if there are no more things and no dr blair left.

Dr. Blair wins if he is the only one left.

There are probably issues that need to be worked out.

This thing would have to be townie heavy as the Thing grows each night.

The possibilities in this game are endless. It probably should be played more than once.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:11:21 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:59 AM »
It's definitely one of the most novel mafia games that someone has come up with in awhile. I'd play.

I have yet to see The Thing. Either the original 50's version or the 80's version. That said, I've seen riffs on it before in pop culture to know what it is about.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 21, 2017, 04:26:46 AM »
The Thing is like mafia the movie.

An uninformed majority try to uncover an informed minority. Chaos and paranoia ensues.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1113 on: October 27, 2017, 04:15:49 AM »
cool so permie's next in the hosting game?
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 27, 2017, 04:22:24 AM »
According to the original post of this thread, it is actually Stratos that volunteered to host the next game. Not sure if he'll be up for it at this point in time though. If not, then maybe it will be you hosting the next game since you offered to host after Stratos.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 27, 2017, 03:06:57 PM »
At some point we need to try a live mafia on Discord.

Offline Agitha

• Hyrule Resident
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
How would this work?
"...Oh, boy! I thought you were a giant grasshopper! But you're not! You're a person! Still, you're wearing those clothes, so that tells me you like bugs too! Oh, boy, I forgot the formalities! You have an audience with the princess of the bug kingdom. Agitha is my name!"

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:35 PM »
I wouldn't be opposed to hosting something, but I need to think of a new set-up to try out. I've always preferred the hosting aspect anyways.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1118 on: October 28, 2017, 02:37:46 AM »
we use the discord voice chat perhaps?
Made you look ****.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 28, 2017, 03:02:56 AM »
I wouldn't be opposed to hosting something, but I need to think of a new set-up to try out. I've always preferred the hosting aspect anyways.

If you ever want to host a game, just claim one in this thread. 76 is supposed to be for Stratos and 77 for Lucario but games 78 - 80 are still available for anyone to take.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 28, 2017, 03:16:43 AM »

I was wondering about that when the NWR Discord channel first launched but there are some issues to overcome in using that type of social media. I think the most important step would be to make a separate NWR Mafia channel in order to keep the game contained instead of occurring amongst other conversations and to make it easier for scrolling through past days.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 28, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »
I'm going to pass unless you want to wait until December. School and work have been a bit much for me as usual and I would not be able to properly put out a game. I'll swap with Lucario if he wants to step up.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #1122 on: October 29, 2017, 03:51:06 AM »
I'm down with doing a game mid next month.
Made you look ****.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:13 AM »
Oh dear lord,.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 29, 2017, 05:42:18 AM »
I want to play The Thing game, not be the host. I would rather a more experienced host make it happen. Also the whole creating a bunch of accounts thing could be too problematic for me.

I just thought I'd come up with a novel idea for a game. The Thing lends itself to mafia so well.

The only other ideas I have are politics based, which might not work on NWR. They might with ideas and amalgams. Obviously, no real political figures or parties.  The game mafia is by direct vote, it might be interesting to create a version of mafia that follows the rules of representation. Might be interesting to use the polling system as well. It also might be interesting where maybe the first few days of the game there is no mafia and then suddenly something happens that leads to a corruption scheme. I really liked the idea of this last game where we were all anonymous.