Community Forums > NWR Forums Discord

Five Worst Gaming Articles of 2005 ;_;

<< < (2/6) > >>

S-U-P-E-R:
I picked Metroid and Zelda because I hate them

Edit: Also 2x 9.5 for Eternal Darkness

KnowsNothing:
Well, if you didn't like Eternal Darkness it was because you didn't understand the deep literary referneces.

S-U-P-E-R:
It's because I can't read

In general, I think there's a little bit of score inflation on PGC, even in my own reviews (and I'm a harsh bastard sometimes). I think it scores make sense, though, if you know the reviewer. And we usually get games we actually want to review, unless we are "taking one for the team" and reviewing a likely crappy game. Jeff and Aussie Ben are hilariously awesome at this, and I am also the go-to "Hamtaro" guy around here.

Like, I pretty much always skip out on core Nintendo games now, and you probably won't see me reviewing them unless they are one of the more intense ones like Smash Bros or Mario Kart. I can tell guys like Jonny love Zelda and Metroid, though, so if you think "you're a guy like Jonny", you'll probably love them. They're just too dull and easy for me, so I don't agree with those review scores, myself.

Similarly, I couldn't wrap my head around the validity of Rick, very much a non-fight-game expert, giving SCII a 10, until I figured out that it's a perfect purchase for "guys like Rick." (Although it's probably good enough that everyone should buy it since it's like $10-$20 everywhere now.) I probably would have given it an 8.5 or something, because blah blah blah in-depth fight game stuff blah blah blah.

If one person, or even just a small group, reviewed ALL the games, the average score given out would be way lower. This is exactly what goes on in print mags and what happened all the time on IGN back when I used to read it (like eight years ago) - I remember being super miffed about low scores given to obscure or more-or-less niche games that I loved. It's because the reviewer just isn't interested in that kind of game. I used to get pissed off all the time, like when some game mag would give Gunbird 2 like 3/10 or when tardbucket Doug Perry would give a really uninformed review of KI Gold. I think that's why Zosha rated Naruto 2 like, a seven, and I gave Naruto a 9 or 9.5 or somesuch.

So, actually, I guess people sticking to reviewing only the kind of games that they actually like is a good thing since a reader will presumably only read reviews of games he's interested in. Lucky for Zelda fans, I probably won't be buying nor reviewing the next one.

If anybody's interested, I could probably review my entire GC library real quick. I think it would be enlightening or hilarious.

I know I might be breaking the serious discussion rule here but I really do like talking about our reviews at length

Ending Walker Tropic:
And cos ur dum lol

But good work in identifying the prentious Darwinia review. Seriosuly jsut because this game has come from an independant developer reviewers are swooning all over it. It's a halfarsed RTS but without the strategy and just grinding.

And Ty. Please amuse us with your GC library review.

S-U-P-E-R:
Library reviewed ahoy:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=35&threadid=14334

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version