Author Topic: FCC Compliant  (Read 3786 times)

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
FCC Compliant
« on: November 25, 2004, 04:54:22 PM »
For those who have yet to read the tiny label on the back of their DS, it reads:

"This device complies with part 15 of FCC Rules and with Industry Canada RSS-210.  Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

So basically, we can play our DS's on the plane, and even if we did try wireless it wouldn't mess with the plane at all, but the plane's wireless communication woudl most likely mess up the DS's wireless connection.

Don't think that's been officially stated yet, asides from Perrin Kaplan's "I think so" remark.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: FCC Compliant
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 07:57:16 PM »
Well a couple of things....

1) From what I can tell the DS is not "always on" wirelessly.
2) The FCC only matters in the US
3) It is possible to still 'ban' a device, regardless of how safe it could or could not be.

We'll see what ICAO decides (if it's ICAO that decides what PED's are permissable)

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 08:18:08 AM »
the same warning is on everything electronic.  All handhelds must receive interference in the states.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 08:23:49 AM »
Yeah, Ogre Dude, but what I'm trying to say is that we were worried that we wouldn't be able to use our DS's on planes...but turns out we can, because it "may not cause harmful interference" with the plane's communication.  All I'm saying.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 08:27:25 AM »
Oh, okay.  I wonder if sony is considering doing something like that.  The Pacemaker killer.  Then release another one that doesn't later on.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 10:12:30 AM »
...what?

I hope Sony hasn't considered this.  Ha, another reason to buy a DS.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline tahnok100

• View Profile
RE:FCC Compliant
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 06:56:43 PM »
Sorry, but that is not what it means. It simply means that is is not allowed to cause interference. That doesn't mean that it won't. If I were you, I would just turn it off when they ask you to turn off all electronics devices. Why risk it just to play a game?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 07:07:15 PM »
All i can say is: My Wacom Graphire is FCC compliant. Unless I earth it the EM interference makes it unusable.

Offline Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 01:56:52 AM »
I beleive the only way it would be a problem on a plane is if someone attempted to initiate a WiFi connection either by starting PictoChat or loading a game and attempting a multi-player WiFi link to another DS. Unless those 2 things happen, I believe the DS' Wi-Fi is in active. Still, it probably would have been safer for Nintendo to inlude the "Airplane Mode" feature that a lot of cell phones now have.

Since the DS is being targeted towards an older, and supposedly more mature demographic, maybe they thought DS owners would be smart enough to know not to initiate a WiFi transmission while on a plane?
PEACE--->Rhoq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 03:59:21 AM »
Am I the only one who gets it or am I the only one who's getting it wrong?

Rhoq, it's never going to be a problem for the plane.  Your DS will never crash up a plane.  But the plane's communication can interfere with your multiplayer.

DS -> DS = Cool
DS -> DS on a Plane = Plane will be okay, you won't be able to play multiplayer.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Kunoichi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 06:55:05 AM »
I'm gonna wait till someone else uses their DS on a plane, I live in Canada so i don't know if all this applies tho.

BTW Rhoq we have the exact same ds collection. =)

Offline tahnok100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 04:40:11 PM »
Nope, again, that is not what that means. All consumer electronic devices fall under that law (it is a law, not something of Nintendo's), most just choose not to put it on there. It does not mean that everything does not emit a harmful signal. The law simple means that if it is interfering with a neighbor’s electronics then you have to stop.

I would not turn the DS on anytime that you are asked to not have electronic devices on. You do not know if it is searching for another DS or something.

BTW, if you are wondering how I can be so sure, my dad is a radio engineer. I have read all these laws quite thoroughly. However, I am not a lawyer, so don’t take what I say for stone.

Edit: I just talked to my dad. He confirmed what I just said. He said to try taking an AM radio up against a console system and listen to all the junk it creates. I think most of those have the stickers too.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 06:28:49 PM »
...that's kind of useless...okay, sorry for my rambling...

Crap.

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Kunoichi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2004, 06:11:26 AM »
I could be wrong, but I was watching a program on t.v. and they were talking about how you can now access the internet by using WiFi on a plane, and if the DS uses WiFi, I don't see why it won't work.