Author Topic: Qbics Paint (Switch) Review  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Dlloyd82

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
Qbics Paint (Switch) Review
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

Closer to an app than a game but still a fun time.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/45060/qbics-paint-switch-review

To be honest with you, I had completely forgotten that the Switch had a touch screen. I’m the type that prefers my electronics to be pristine like the day I bought it. After I downloaded Qbics Paint, a new pixel art game made by Abylight Studios, it took me a few moments to realize I was going to have to touch my screen to play this game. With my screen cleaner in hand and deep and calming breathing, I battled through my fears and had some fun painting pixels.

There are two modes available to play. The first is a puzzle style sculpting game which opens with a large cube of white blocks. Using your finger, you break away the white blocks revealing the colorful statue underneath. The goal is to try to avoid touching the statue and a three star scoring system is used to track how many times you clicked on the statue. There are 80 models to get through and once you’ve uncovered the statue you can choose different backgrounds and post your accomplishment on social media.

For the artistically inclined, the second mode available is a free sculpting tool to make your heart’s desire. A 3D plane is provided where you can build whatever your imagination can dream up. After designing your creation you then have a paint tool to add color to bring life to your statue.

Even for such a simple concept, there’s a great deal of polish. The controls are very intuitive and easy to use. The puzzle mode does a good job of showing what you’re capable of making and is a good way to dip your toe into pixel art. The controls are precise, very rarely was I putting blocks where I didn't want them and even when it did happen there was a simple undo button.

If you’re not as weird as me about touching your screen this is a fun game to play. I had a fun time recreating classic Nintendo characters and my kids enjoyed painting animals provided in game. You’re not going to create complicated pieces of art but if you or your kids would like something fun to play with for 30 minutes or so then Qbics Paint will be a fun time waster for all ages.