Author Topic: Eternal Mafia Finale: The Darkness Comes  (Read 17560 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Eternal Mafia Finale: The Darkness Comes
« on: September 16, 2010, 04:59:50 PM »
The atmosphere was tense. Nerves were on end. Sanity was slipping out of their midst. The heroes had fought long and hard on their journey and many had been lost along the way. The Darkness crept ever closer but the few remaining held on resolute. Suspicions were high as it was plain that there were spies among them. But who was a difficult puzzle to solve.

Maxi, custodian to the Tome of Eternal Darkness, had gleaned many vital clues from within it's bindings of flesh and bone. The others knew they could count on him and here, at their final hour, they turned to him yet again. For they were at an impasse. Vudu and Plugabugz were the current leads to their traitor and the vote was not going through. They turned to Maxi to break this critical vote. Maxi looked from one to the other, turned his head as if pondering the issue, then slowly uttered two syllables: That. Guy.

Sundoulos' gut knotted. He had been sure Maxi would side against Plugabugz. After all they had discussed last night what they were going to do today at the vote. Something wasn't quite right... as he stared at Maxi he noticed a swift and subtle movement on his eyes. He had a second pair of eyelids flicking open and closed! His eyes were not human. "You've been playing us all for fools." He gasped. "How long have you infected him?Mop it up, we should flee."

"I have infected him long enough to ensure victory for my mighty lord," It hissed.

"Mop it up, quickly," entreated Sundoulos, "Help me cast a magickal spell of escape, these are all enemies save for you and me now. Perhaps we can live to fight another day." Hearing no sound from behind him where Mop it up had stood he turned with great fear in his heart. There lay Mop it up, neck clearly broken. Behind her body stood a laughing Insanolord, revealed now as the Corrupt One himself. "YOU!" Sundoulos cried.

He turned again and found Apdue as well, transforming into his true form of the Vampire. He turned again to the controlled Maxi and plead to him, "Surely there is some sense f your will in there, if you can overcome the Bonethief within you me may still have a chance."

"There is no Maxi. All that remains is his HIDE!" And on the word 'hide' the bonethief burst forth, destroying Maxi.

Sundoulous realized that he was alone in the world. A chill came over him. He was surrounded. Giving in to despair, he looked to the heavens and let of a final prayer. The Darkness came. The Darkness covered. The Darkness consumed. The Darkness was complete.

~~What happened~~

Mop it up, townie hit
Maxi, the Librarian, Infected

All who remains of the Gathering of Light is Sundoulous

He was overwhelmed by
Lindsanolord, the Godfather
Apdude the Vampire
and Plugabugs the Bonethief
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Eternal Mafia Finale: The Darkness Comes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »
SUCKERS!!!! MWAHAHAHAHA

also, lol at "Lindsanolord"
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
I love a happy ending

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
The 'L' was a typo but when I saw it I decided to add the 'D' since I saw the connection. Big LOL for it all around I say. Good job guys.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »
I knew this was going to happen once the defender was gone.

I had a few plans to get the the bonethief out of me but when I asked Stratos about some things I was pretty much told that it wouldn't work.

A few things that annoyed me. thatguy why the heck did you post that stevey was a townie in the main thread. After you did that I thought you were putting that info out there so that the mafia could use it. Stratos next time you host I think you should have a co-host to answer questions and lock the thread when you are not around.

I suppose I should take some credit that I named the remaining Mafia members other than Plugabugz on day 2.

Did the Vampire shut down the killer.I know Toruresu was the defender and he did protect me 2 nights in a row.I wonder if the Vampire stopped the kills.

Well I guess I will continue playing since thatguy was a townie.I told him if he was Mafia well I wouldn't trust my judgement anymore I would only be involved as a host.

I probably should just trust my judgement more. I should have searched apdude and vudu back on day 1 instead of going with Khushrenada's thoughts.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
Mafia totally deserved to win this game.  Townies played like ****.

After I determined I was a goner on day 4, I considered telling everyone my role and promising to kill a mafia member that night.  It would have forced the mafia to kill me instead of stevey, therefore buying the townies an extra day.  But considering the townies sucked it up so badly I didn't think it was right to try to rob the mafia of a win.

Kudos everyone.

apdude, I gotta ask--did you figure out my role on day 2 or did you just get lucky when you blocked my night action?  For what it's worth, I tried to kill Mop it up on day 2 and apdude on day 3.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »

Did the Vampire shut down the killer.I know Toruresu was the defender and he did protect me 2 nights in a row.I wonder if the Vampire stopped the kills.

Yeah I blocked him 2 days in a row (days 2 and 3).  Just a guess on the first day (day 2).  Was going to block thatguy but insanolord told me to pick again... good call on that one.  Day 3 was just for varification.

I don't really know how you picked me day one but it was a good hunch that could have turned things dramatically, though Vudu would have been killing more then.  Thanks everyone on the pointers, hope to play the otherside next time to see how that goes, probably totally different.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:25:09 PM by apdude »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:25:15 PM »
We blocked vudu the two nights prior to his death, so we pretty much knew he was the killer. We would have killed him the next night, but you guys were nice enough to take care of him for us.

Maxi, the fact that you named us that early in the game should be something you regret, not something to be proud of, since you never followed up on it. I'm pretty sure no one voted for me the entire game.

Thatguy naming stevey as a townie was pretty irrelevant, since I would have killed him that night anyway. Taking out Toruresu was a great stroke of luck, because at that point my strategy was taking out people Maxi never mentioned in the thread.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
Yeah I know Insanolord.I didn't have enough proof on any that I named.As I think I told you after jrlibrarian was voted out everything was based on hunches.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
You're all morons.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
Thanks Mop it up I really needed to hear that at this point in time.

You didn't mention who you thought was mafia.Next time we play YOU lead the townies since you think so highly of your cognitive abilities!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:50:37 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »
How did you expect me to mention anything when you list me as Mafia or the killer? You wouldn't listen to me, and Toruresu didn't trust me either. No one was going to follow anything I said. Not only that, but this game's end day time was terrible for me. It was near the end of my work day, so there was no way I could be around during the second half of every day, which, this game especially, was when most of the action happened. Otherwise, I would have tried to stop that Nickmitch vote, and pushed for Vudu then, among other things.

Look, I know how these townie alliances work, I've been in them, and mistakenly voted out townies. It happens. It can be difficult to trust anyone not in your little circle, so I just tried to not become a target. I'm not blaming anyone.

After seeing the result of day 1, I knew the Mafia were going to win. It was clear they were organized and the townies weren't. Of course, it still takes skill to capitalize on these situations, so congratulations on the wins guys.

I don't recall being in a game with Insanolord before, so if I were, it must have been an early one. That, along with four new players, made it pretty difficult to figure these people out.

I'm also kind of wondering how balanced this game was. It seemed like the Mafia had a lot of power. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out the roles quickly.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:00:14 PM by Mop it up »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »
I'm also kind of wondering how balanced this game was. It seemed like the Mafia had a lot of power. I guess it's just a matter of figuring out the roles quickly.

It all comes down to luck.  The mafia blocking my action on day 2 was was a slim chance--less than 10% if you just look at the numbers.  But they got lucky, figured out who I was and nullified me from that point on.  If I was allowed to kill throughout the duration of the game would have been pretty different.

Certain roles can unbalnce the game a bit more than others--namely the killer and the bomb (which wasn't in this game).  The game is designed with the assumption that these players will most likely kill X number of players (3, 4, whatever that number might be).  If they kill more or less than that number the game's balance gets thrown out of whack pretty severely.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
That's a good point. I s'pose if the Mafia had lost two members early on, it would have been an uphill battle for them. Just having those members alive at the end gave them their abilities, and the vote-changing one won it for them. And really, the biggest strength of the Mafia is their numbers, so not finding them out is what unleashes their power. I guess that's why it can sometimes make them seem overpowered, but they're really not.

I guess there's no way to balance a game where every outcome has an equal chance of winning, so the only thing to do is make sure one role doesn't have too many possible outcomes that'd make it a cakewalk.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
Actually, we initially thought thatguy was the killer, mostly because he told us he was the killer. He also kept us from killing Maxi very early in the game. We almost had an alliance based on that, which is why we didn't block him, and we picked vudu to block because of his high profile and relative silence. From that, we lucked into figuring out he was the killer. Luckily, our only contact with thatguy was through jrlibrarian, so he didn't know who the rest of us were. He eventually figured it out, but by then it was too late to do anything about it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
At first I thought the bonethief would be a really big factor, but we couldn't use it until we found the defender.  During that time the townies could have found the bonethief and nullified it.  And if we lost the bone thief instead of the bodyguard and it was 4 on 3 we would have lost.  So in that way it seemed pretty well ballenced. 

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:45:14 PM »
I think the Vampire role had to much power. Being able to negate pretty much anything gave them to much power.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:47 PM »
I wanted to vote out Insanolord on day 1.  No, Khush said.  I'll vouch for him.  It took three or four days to find out it was just Khush saying that to put things together, and that he hadn't been investigated.

It all comes down to luck.  The mafia blocking my action on day 2 was was a slim chance--less than 10% if you just look at the numbers.  But they got lucky, figured out who I was and nullified me from that point on.  If I was allowed to kill throughout the duration of the game would have been pretty different.

Certain roles can unbalnce the game a bit more than others--namely the killer and the bomb (which wasn't in this game).  The game is designed with the assumption that these players will most likely kill X number of players (3, 4, whatever that number might be).  If they kill more or less than that number the game's balance gets thrown out of whack pretty severely.

Is that why the mafia never contacted me back after I messaged jrlibrarian?  Did you all know I had messaged him?  I put all my eggs into "Pretend I'm the killer and hope the mafia decides to make a deal."

And, vudu, I definitely would have spared your life, since I knew by the numbers, the townies would need the killer to stay alive.  I really thought you were in the mafia.  I wasn't looking for the killer so early, given the tight numbers we had.

I'd say numbers affected balance more than anything.  In five days, the townies got 2/5, getting the killer and a mafia member.  Had the game started with one less mafia member, by the same 2/5 ratio, it would've been a townie victory.

The reason, for those who noticed, like the mafia, I consistently named prominent townie names, lied in my failed strategy:  I tried to say I was the killer.  While I didn't know Toruresu was the doctor, I thought he had been investigated by Maxi, since he voted for jrlibrarian first.  In the day before he was hit, the only townie player I called attention to was, like I said Toruresu.  The same was the case with stevey.  I said stevey in the open, by the way, because #1, the mafia knew who the townies were, and #2, had I not, he would've been voted out easily enough.

Any way, my strategy bombed, but I do wonder if it would've worked had vudu not been stopped by the vampire.  Did jrlibrarian let anyone know I claimed to be the killer?

Really, though, it was a balanced game.  A little bit of luck with the order and selection of hits went a long way.  In my book, though, if the townies can figure out the mafia and have a greater number of players voting than the mafia, it might show some imbalance.  The only role with too much power was the bone thief, solely because we lost our counter to his role, Khush, so early, and there were too few people in the game.  Had Khush stayed in a little longer or had there been more players, it would've been a non-factor.

Also, I said we got 2/5, but if you were to factor out the bone thief, we would have had successfully gotten 5/8, should everyone vote, since we had figured out the mafia.  That isn't bad at all, for the townie side.  Slow starts are typical, especially in games where roles get killed off early.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:21 PM »
I have been thinking about the game more and I have a few questions for everybody. Had I went after someone else other than jrlibrarian would you of followed me. Maybe going after apdude instead. Reason I would of took this path is because after jrlibrarian I would have no info.

If I had contacted you vudu on Day 2 and said you were the killer what would you have done?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »
Is that why the mafia never contacted me back after I messaged jrlibrarian?  Did you all know I had messaged him?  I put all my eggs into "Pretend I'm the killer and hope the mafia decides to make a deal."

Yeah, jrlibrarian told us about his conversations with you. That strategy would have worked a lot better if I hadn't been mafia. I knew not to trust you, and gave the order not to tell you any more than we had to.

Looking back, I think one of our keys to victory, which is always key for the mafia, was that we played very well as a team. We coordinated our powers well, and communicated well. Also, two newbies, a European, and a non-top-tier veteran is a pretty good combo for flying under the radar.

J.P. Corbran

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »
Actually, we initially thought thatguy was the killer, mostly because he told us he was the killer. He also kept us from killing Maxi very early in the game. We almost had an alliance based on that, which is why we didn't block him, and we picked vudu to block because of his high profile and relative silence. From that, we lucked into figuring out he was the killer. Luckily, our only contact with thatguy was through jrlibrarian, so he didn't know who the rest of us were. He eventually figured it out, but by then it was too late to do anything about it.

Foiled by vudu!

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »
GG everyone! This game was really fun, just sucks we couldn't win :P
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
Kudos to the mafia.  They played very well as a team, and they were able to maximize the breaks that came their way.   Apdude, especially, did a great job of convincing me that he was a townie.   Despite Maxi voting for apdude the first day, I didn't really suspect him until day III...after that vote, it was too late. 

As for the rest of the people, I just couldn't really decide who was least trustworthy... by the time I did finally decided to listen to thatguy, again, the game was essentially over.  I'm feeling a bit naive at the moment.  Here's hoping I learn a little from this game; hopefully I'll play better next time.

Still, it was fun.  GG.

"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 05:21:53 AM »
Congrats to Sundoulos for being the only townie to live until the end of the game! ;)

It was really fun to watch this game fron behind the scenes. I almost wish I could see all PMs too just for my own entertainment. I'm glad the game turned out as balanced as it did. I scrapped a few extra tweaks near the end and I think that really paid off.

I only wish I had been less distracted by real life. A lot of crap happened in my life this week including very nearly losing my gf. But it seems the game still played out quite well.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2010, 03:16:40 PM »
A special shoutout to those i worked with for working around my handicap so well.