Author Topic: Circle Pad Pro XL Photos  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Circle Pad Pro XL Photos
« on: April 23, 2013, 09:26:51 PM »

The frankenstick got even bigger!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/blog/33984

If you were ever curious about how large the Nintendo 3DS XL is with its Circle Pad Pro XL attachment, then check out our images below. We have also taken some snaps of the original 3DS to compare it to.

Behold the giant.

We all thought the original was large..

Curvy

Side by side.

Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Circle Pad Pro XL Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42:12 PM »
The circles are now complete!

I want to get one just to have one.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
Los Frankenstick Gigante will create a black hole that will swallow your XL.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »
Reminds me of:

Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline SupaKirb

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
Hmm.. I didn't really like the original Frankenstick.. but then again, I didn't like the original 3DS all that much either. (I feel like the 3DS XL just worked better with my hands, and it felt like a more perfected product imo. Along with the 90% bigger screen that made my poor eye sight less of an issue.) But from the short time I spent with the attachment on the original, I have to say that it didn't wow me. It didn't add anything to my gaming experience. So unless I have a friend who owns this and lets me try it out, I think I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »
Just got an original Circle Pad Pro myself a couple days ago. It's pretty alright. Makes playing Resident Evil a little easier. One question though, why did Nintendo over engineer the hell out of the battery cover with a coin screw?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:34:18 AM »
Every time that I'm reminded of the CPP and the CPP XL, I really do wonder in which of the infinite possible realities within the Multiverse there exists a rational and sane Nintendo. It's certainly not our reality.
Gouge away.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
The Circle Pad Pro is not really needed, if games actually needed a second analog stick then Nintendo would have included one. Even with the CPP out, no games require it and few few new games even support it either.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:39:13 AM »
I still think we are going to get the 3DS XL Pro Lite at some point.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:50 AM »
Is that opinion or fact TJ?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:36 AM »
Is that opinion or fact TJ?

And he butts in again. Bravo, you are too obsessed with me.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:52:35 AM »
It's an honest question. The word I use isn't obsession, I call it fun.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »
You have fun talking about me even when im not in the thread? You think about me too much, you dont even cross my mind until I see you post.

And it's a fact that no games require the CPP and that very few even use it (and the number of new games that support it has dropped sharply).

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 01:19:32 AM »
Guys, chill.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:29 AM »
The Circle Pad Pro is not really needed, if games actually needed a second analog stick then Nintendo would have included one. Even with the CPP out, no games require it and few few new games even support it either.
It's not that simple. Take the right analog stick from every controller that's ever had it and developers would make do without it. Sure, it can be done, but why would anyone want that? Not including a right circle pad is the reason no games require one. We don't need a lot of things, but our lives are better with them. Nintendo created the entire reason developers don't make games with a right circle pad in mind on 3DS which isn't the same as developers deciding they don't want or need the extra functionality. It's silly to say, "Oh, it's not needed," when there was no choice in the matter from the start. It doesn't make sense to make a game that requires a right circle pad now because it would require an optional peripheral which significantly limits the game's reach while also creating an entire new problem: the portable is no longer portable. Had Nintendo engineered the right circle pad into the 3DS from the get-go, NO ONE would complain that it's there. Developers would use it more readily or simply ignore it if they didn't need it... just like they do on every other post-N64 traditional controller.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 02:12:17 AM »

... Take the right analog stick from every controller that's ever had it and developers would make do without it. Sure, it can be done, but why would anyone want that? Not including a right circle pad is the reason no games require one. We don't need a lot of things, but our lives are better with them. Nintendo created the entire reason developers don't make games with a right circle pad in mind on 3DS which isn't the same as developers deciding they don't want or need the extra functionality. It's silly to say, "Oh, it's not needed," when there was no choice in the matter from the start. It doesn't make sense to make a game that requires a right circle pad now because it would require an optional peripheral which significantly limits the game's reach while also creating an entire new problem: the portable is no longer portable. Had Nintendo engineered the right circle pad into the 3DS from the get-go, NO ONE would complain that it's there. Developers would use it more readily or simply ignore it if they didn't need it... just like they do on every other post-N64 traditional controller.

This.
Gouge away.

Offline Eyothrie

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 02:40:54 AM »
It's not needed unless you're a lefty like me who wants to play Kid Icarus as comfortably as possible.  Try using the stylus with your left hand and movement with the face buttons.  Actually, don't do that..it doesn't work well! RE: Revelations, MH3U, and MGS3 just work better with dual sticks.  Its a comfort thing, plain and simple.  The XL frankenstick will be mine when MH4 comes out.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:58:44 AM by Eyothrie »
RTR!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 07:55:57 AM »
I honestly agree with him here, handheld games do not equal console games and should be treated as such.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 08:11:24 AM »

... Take the right analog stick from every controller that's ever had it and developers would make do without it. Sure, it can be done, but why would anyone want that? Not including a right circle pad is the reason no games require one. We don't need a lot of things, but our lives are better with them. Nintendo created the entire reason developers don't make games with a right circle pad in mind on 3DS which isn't the same as developers deciding they don't want or need the extra functionality. It's silly to say, "Oh, it's not needed," when there was no choice in the matter from the start. It doesn't make sense to make a game that requires a right circle pad now because it would require an optional peripheral which significantly limits the game's reach while also creating an entire new problem: the portable is no longer portable. Had Nintendo engineered the right circle pad into the 3DS from the get-go, NO ONE would complain that it's there. Developers would use it more readily or simply ignore it if they didn't need it... just like they do on every other post-N64 traditional controller.

This.
However with what has been said and done what reason is there to include a second circle pad in the next revision?

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 08:13:11 AM »
It should have been there in the first place but it would do more harm then good to shove it in now...

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »
It should have been there in the first place but it would do more harm then good to shove it in now...

What harm would it do?

Nintendo have pretty much already conceded that certain games can be enhanced with the addition of a second Circle Pad (CP), otherwise they would not have given in to Capcom in the first place. What harm could possibly come from including a second Circle Pad that hasn't already been caused by the CPP? It's not as if having a second CP forces the developers to split the user base. Developers could simply do what they're doing now, which is that they make a decision on a game by game basis as to whether or not the inclusion of a dual CP control option is worth their investment.

Games as small as Nano Assault EX and as big as Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate have already decided that yes it is worth their time. Perhaps the reason more developers have not opted to include dual CP options in their games is because the CPP is such a niche accessory. Most people don't even know it exists. Having a 3DS revision which builds that feature into the system simply gives the consumer the option.

There is no down side as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:22:21 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
Are you unaware that you can edit posts, pokepal?

1. Handheld and console games should be treated differently, otherwise why separate them? However, that doesn't mean developers shouldn't have the option of a right circle pad available to them from the get-go and without an asinine add-on. It would have cost Nintendo cents per unit to have included a right circle pad vs $20 for consumers for the Circle Pad Pro. Handheld games should be treated differently in that it probably isn't wise to design a mandatory level that takes an hour to complete simply because that betrays the entire quick, on-the-go gaming purpose of a portable gaming system.

Being handicapped creatively because Nintendo forces developers to find ways around making games without something that's been a staple of game controllers for well over a decade is silly and insulting. It's similar to the Wii Remote, just taken to a lesser extreme. However, the Wii Remote was meant to be radical because of where Nintendo was in the console market. 3DS deemphasized the out-of-the-box thinking of both DS and Wii in favor of more traditional game development. It offered so many options, but it's missing an important component.

2. Other than simplicity, there's no reason to include one in a revision. It's too late to fix it now, but really, it shouldn't have been an issue to begin with. You can argue that the 3DS was too packed to include one, but research and development teams are employed to solve those problems.

3. Techncally, it would be the first revision since the XL is basically just a larger model. In any case, it probably wouldn't do any harm by the time a real revision would conceivably be released, next year at the earliest. By then 3DS will have been on market for three years. Most people wouldn't be confused over what it was, especially if Nintendo marketed it as "Circle Pad Pro included." It might not be worth the trouble depending on when Nintendo wants to launch a successor though that didn't stop them from launching DSi and that at least allowed Nintendo to launch DSiWare and work out the kinks. Unless a revision is really well-integrated with Wii U or does something that really improves the 3DS experience, Nintendo could leave well enough alone.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 09:58:11 AM by Adrock »

Offline Fjurbanski

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
Idk. I feel like the right analog stick is one of the most overrated inputs on the modern controller. People always act like they need it when a good lock-on system can take care of pretty much everything. Sure, the shooter genre suffers from it, but that's the only genre where it's really needed.
Add me on Wii U. : ) --> FJUrban

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
Certain games need them, and a lot of people want to be able to control their camera, even if the automatic camera works great. I think the 3DS is fine without one, but at the same time the one on my Vita gets used a lot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
Regardless of which genres use a right analog stick more/at all, why not leave the choice up to the developer? If they want to use it, great. If they don't, also great. It's not a limitation Nintendo should be imposing. Not including one then acting like it's not needed because developers won't fully support an optional peripheral is shenanigans.