Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755177 times)

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #2375 on: January 03, 2020, 01:01:36 AM »
Nobody buying games during the Black Friday sales?

I caught a few things on the eShop sale.

I got Ori and the Blind Forest, Collection of Mana, Katamari Damacy, and DragonBall FighterZ.

Only played Katamari and DBFZ so far and I'm not sure I'm gonna finish Katamari.  Nothing too much to say about DBFZ just yet, but I'm pretty much only looking to play the story.  I suck at fighting games, so the online doesn't appeal to me.  Should be fun to breakout around company though.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: January 03, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »
Mutant Mudds Collection is 90% off on the eshop. With the Gold Coins I had left, it ended up being $1.03 so I couldn’t pass it up. I enjoyed it on Wii U from what I played.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 15, 2020, 09:57:47 AM »
Xeodrifter is just $3 on the 3DS eShop this week, and is a game I've long been curious about. I'd leave early impressions, but it looks like I'm already close to finish the game so maybe that's not the right label to use?

What I like: controls feel good; plays quickly and intuitively; level design is solid; fun power-up system; pricing is perfect for a small game; being able to shift between foreground/background seems like it shouldn't matter much... but is really fun here, better than in Mutant Mudds in my opinion
What I don't like: so far it's been the same boss over and over, with additional attacks added each time; stages are less connected (so far) than you tend to see in best games for the genre

Overall, this feels like a easy recommendation. Xeodrifter won't blow your mind, but it's a solid experience that will provide a few hours of enjoyment for any action fans. Big thumbs up for a nice little game.

(Oddly, it's $10 on Wii U still, but the game is cross-buy so owning on one platforms gets you free access on the other.  So I guess we got it twice?)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:01:05 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:30 AM »
So I picked up a few old games on the Wii U eShop:
* Metroid Zero Mission - My son really enjoyed playing Xeodrifter, and I don't have a good way to play this classic entry to the Metroid series any longer... so seemed like a great time to grab this virtual console release. Don't regret it at all.
* Fire Emblem - Another old GBA game that I don't have access to any longer and wanted to check out. Again, my son just started playing Advance Wars 2 and rather likes it, so this seemed like a good next step. For what it's worth, I enjoyed this quite a bit more than The Sacred Stones (which I own and can play on 3DS).
* Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Same situation as the others, and seemed like a great way to finish off my GBA trifecta. Oddly, I don't think I've ever played this game before... or at least I don't remember doing so, despite having owned all of the other GBA Castlevania games.
* Tallowmere - I've been wanting a cheap rogue-like, and this reviewed pretty well here at NWR. Initial impressions were a bit mixed, but I think with some time it could grow on me (and if it doesn't, the game was really inexpensive anyway).
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 28, 2020, 01:50:29 AM »
Picking up a few digital purchases myself:

3DS VC - Adventure Island, Balloon Kid, Kirby's Star Stacker, Kirby's Pinball Land, Pokemon Puzzle League, Wario Land 3

3DS eShop - Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger, Mutant Mudds

Switch eShop - Runner 3

Still might pick up a few others. The Square Enix sale has got me thinking of grabbing FFVII and FFIX. And there's still plenty of 3DS eShop with a bit of Wii U shop on my wishlist to still get. This is just another salvo of that increasing list. Why did I start this Best of the eShop series? What was I thinking?  >:(
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #2380 on: March 29, 2020, 12:32:01 AM »
Got Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Saints Row IV: Re-Elected, both for the Switch, as well as Doom Eternal for the PS4.

The former is a nice palette cleanser for the latter two, for sure!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: March 29, 2020, 10:18:55 AM »
Picking up a few digital purchases myself:

3DS VC - , Kirby's Star Stacker

Wait Kirby's Star Stacker got a 3DS port? How'd I miss that? Probably my fav puzzle game ever. May have to reclaim that glory & possibly finish single player this time...
Mission...complete?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2382 on: March 29, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Not a port, but a Virtual Console release.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: May 05, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »
Recently, when Switch Lites became widely available again, I bought one of those. Device looks great and sleek, and it's pretty exciting to finally be part of the current generation. I love the pop-ups whenever someone from your friends list starts playing something.
The game I bought with it is Animal Crossing, and dumped a bunch of MyNintendo coins into one of the Picross S releases, as well. Both are fun so far, it's my first real Animal Crossing experience, and so far I don't regret jumping on this hype train.

Not loving the ergonomics on the Lite though, especially when you use the D-pad a lot it quickly cramps up my thumb and wrist. Think I'll try to find a grip of some sort before trying more intense games on it. Also still not a fan of the paid online, but I'm sure I'll begrudgingly shell out for it at some point.  >:( Need to figure out which of the NES/SNES games have online multiplayer first.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 13, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
I decided to connect my PS4 Pro directly to my router which made a world of difference. Ultimately, I folded and bought the officially licensed Hori Wired Internet LAN Adapter for Switch. It was slightly on sale for a little less than $27 before tax. Yes, it made a world of difference here as well. I was playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate earlier, and for brief moments I was getting frustrated at people I could tell didn’t have the LAN adapter before refocusing my frustration on Nintendo for not including an Ethernet port in the dock it sells for $90. Boo/hiss.

I tend to play a lot of 2D indie games so I also folded and finally bought an 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus. I tried the tape mod on my original black Switch Pro Controller. I don’t get the false presses anymore, but I felt as if I missed some presses entirely, and I covered less than half the contact with Kapton tape. The crosspad on the 8bitdo SN30 Pro Plus is in the primary position so I think I’ll like it more.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: June 15, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Works and it is what I'm currently playing as well. (Although I'm still debating adding a game or two during this current eShop sale.)

There's a lot I could say about XC1 since it is my first time playing it but I guess this isn't the thread for play discussion. Maybe I should bump the old XC1 thread from Nintendo gaming. What I will say is that so far I'm very happy with the purchase aside from the fact that I wish it came with a CD (or vinyl like Europe) soundtrack. I think every Special Edition should include that. XC2 had it. FE: Three Houses, Warriors and Samus Returns 3D had it. It puts the special in Special Edition. My one regret now is that I don't have an XCX Special Edition to complete the collection. (Although if XCX gets ported to Switch then there might be a Special Edition for it in which case I would have a complete XC Special Edition Switch Collection. :rolleyes: 8) )

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: July 08, 2020, 07:33:05 PM »
Super Mario Maker 2 was delivered today. It was on sale for $39.99 on Amazon so I decided to snag it this time.

Since I bought Super Mario Maker 2, I signed up for a year of Nintendo Switch Online since the main reason I bought it was to play other people’s stages. I also bought the Super Nintendo controllers for Nintendo Switch since they were in stock and you need a NSO membership to buy them.

I also managed to get Ring Fit Adventure shipped and sold by Amazon for MSRP. Originally, I wasn’t interested in this game at all. However, I heard we’re not returning to the office until next year. I started running (which I thoroughly dislike) and have been doing 100 push-ups a day since April. It hasn’t been enough. I hurt my back “playing basketball” (recklessly tossing a basketball at a rim) on Saturday. I feel like this is due to loss of core strength since I haven’t been able to go a gym since March. I have no intention of immediately returning when they reopen due to the frighteningly large amount of people unwilling to wear masks in public. I don’t want to be in an enclosed space with people if I can help it. That said, I’m looking for ways to be active. Ring Fit Adventure is apparently great for that.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2387 on: July 08, 2020, 09:38:43 PM »
I recently got a copy of Ring Fit, maybe 3 weeks ago.  It's a surprisingly good workout!  That said, the first few days of starting up the game can be annoying, but they eventually give you the option of not having them ask as many questions.  I also have trouble with exercises that rely solely on the leg strap for some reason.  But other than that, the game is pretty great, especially as you get into it more and more.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 03, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »
Welp, I went and did it. I got myself the Switch Animal Crossing Special Edition. I always had a feeling Nintendo would do a restock of it. I remember when the Let's Go Pokemon edition came out. I would see it come back into stock a couple times after it initially released. The Animal Crossing one just came out a bad time when Covid was shutting down the world which I think prevented a restock from happening sooner with so much retail being shutdown and shopping reduced. Perhaps also the huge success of New Horizons further emphasized to Nintendo a demand for this particular edition since it seems there is a lot of stock for this version now.

I saw a bunch of people trying to scalp the console from $600 - $1000 dollars back in March and April. Hopefully no one actually bought a console at those prices but who knows. People aren't always smart with money. I was content to wait and see if more came in stock down the road and if not then I still had a perfectly good console that I was still happy with. Good things come to those who wait. I remember there was one local ad of someone selling the console at $900 and the ad was so defensive like "quit tying to lowball me I know what this thing is worth" and "it's expensive because it's rare that's what special editions are". Actually, while typing this, I got curious and I see there are some people still trying to hawk this special edition but now the prices are just $50 - $150 above retail. Wonder if any of them are Mr. $900.

I'm also hoping that with this being a new and fresh console then perhaps Nintendo's done something about Joy-Con drift at this point. Haven't really been following that in awhile. Has there been many complaints with newer controllers versus the early year ones with drift? It's not a big deal since I'm mostly playing with the Pro Controller but some games require the Joy-Con's like Super Mario Party.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 04, 2020, 12:51:35 AM »
Joycon drift is alive and still messing up our enjoyment of a good system. Nintendo is behaving quite poorly in this matter. They put in an argument against the class action lawsuit claiming the drift did not impact peoples ability to play and was not a negative experience.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2390 on: October 13, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
I picked up Astral Chain the other day and I am enjoying it.   It feels like a 1 player co-op game with the mechanics of the Legion and your character working in tandem together.     I only have the Sword Legion so far but I have seen some gameplay of the other Legions and each provides a different style of play and when used in conjunction with each other it should be fun.  Also the art style is beautiful.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 13, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
I picked up Astral Chain the other day and I am enjoying it.   It feels like a 1 player co-op game with the mechanics of the Legion and your character working in tandem together.     I only have the Sword Legion so far but I have seen some gameplay of the other Legions and each provides a different style of play and when used in conjunction with each other it should be fun.  Also the art style is beautiful.

Nice! Have you played in handheld mode/on a Lite Switch by any chance? I want to get this game still, provided it's doable in portable mode.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2392 on: October 13, 2020, 08:34:52 PM »

Nice! Have you played in handheld mode/on a Lite Switch by any chance? I want to get this game still, provided it's doable in portable mode.
I actually have since I have a nice yellow Switch Lite and only that.   You use the left analog stick to move your character and you can bring out your Legion with the tap of the ZL button. Hold ZL and then move the analog stick to send your Legion to a general area by the enemy. Your Legion will attack when by a foe. The ZR button if for your own attack and bringing yourself to your Legion. The R button makes the Legion go away. Good for saving the Legion from a hit or if your Legion has been out too long.    There is a tutorial early on and you can practice the moves and also the combat in the main hub for the game any time you want.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2393 on: October 14, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »

I think Astral Chain is my favorite Platinum game. I do really like Bayonetta 2 but the variety of gameplay in Astral Chain worked for me as I am not super into action games. I totally agree about the art style, one of the best looking games on switch.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: November 13, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »
A few weeks ago, I snagged Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition for $40. Since I barely played it on Wii, I wanted to barely play it on Switch as well. 🤷‍♀️

A couple days ago, I folded and bought 4 Resident Evil, Resident Evil 5, and Resident Evil 🦒🤤 on PS4. If RE4 on Switch had motion controls, that would have been an easy choice. Alas, it does not. The higher resolution and frame rate on PS4 pushed me to those versions. They were cheaper on PS4 too.

I snagged two Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros. I have to pick one up at Best Buy today; the other is getting delivered. One is a gift for a friend. I’m not just hoarding these.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: February 13, 2021, 06:15:49 PM »
There's a pretty good sale on the PlayStation Store so I bought the following:
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ($17.99; this almost never goes on sale)
  • Resident Evil 3 ($19.79) + Classic Costume DLC ($2.99)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ($9.99)
I bought Odin Sphere on PS2 when it first released in 2007/2008. I'm going to humor myself and try to make an effort to actually play it this time.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: February 13, 2021, 07:26:10 PM »
There's a pretty good sale on the PlayStation Store so I bought the following:
  • Odin Sphere Leifthrasir ($17.99; this almost never goes on sale)
  • Resident Evil 3 ($19.79) + Classic Costume DLC ($2.99)
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ($9.99)
I bought Odin Sphere on PS2 when it first released in 2007/2008. I'm going to humor myself and try to make an effort to actually play it this time.

The Leifthrasir version of Odin Sphere is excellent. I hated Odin Sphere back on PS2, but they made a ton of tweaks to the gameplay and progression (not to mention framerate) that makes the modern version SO Much better. Very much recommended.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 13, 2021, 09:34:01 PM »
The Leifthrasir version of Odin Sphere is excellent. I hated Odin Sphere back on PS2, but they made a ton of tweaks to the gameplay and progression (not to mention framerate) that makes the modern version SO Much better. Very much recommended.
LOL. I bought Odin Sphere Leifthrasir because you recommended it. 👍 The game wouldn’t have been on my radar to double-dip. I did wait for a sub-$20 sale.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: February 23, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »
Jane, you ignorant s...pambot! Just post your spam so I can ban you and move on!

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #2399 on: February 23, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »
Jane is still waiting on those movie recommendations Khush  ;)