Author Topic: Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U) Review Mini  (Read 12976 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U) Review Mini
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 07:03:49 PM »

You did collect coins in Mario 64 but those coins also replenished your health and gave you a free life if you collected 100.  The notes in Banjo and bananas in DK64 do absolutely NOTHING.  They're solely collectables.
Besides let you into Boss Doors, and getting you banana medals which you need 15 of to beat the game you're right, they do absolutely nothing.

The game is getting much more interesting with all 5 Kong's unlocked I have to say,

Needing x amount of y to get past an arbitrary door is a doodad that does nothing. 
But the door is open now! that's something! You couldn't get through the door before but now you can. You call that nothing? 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey Kong 64 (Wii U) Review Mini
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »

You did collect coins in Mario 64 but those coins also replenished your health and gave you a free life if you collected 100.  The notes in Banjo and bananas in DK64 do absolutely NOTHING.  They're solely collectables.
Besides let you into Boss Doors, and getting you banana medals which you need 15 of to beat the game you're right, they do absolutely nothing.

The game is getting much more interesting with all 5 Kong's unlocked I have to say,

Needing x amount of y to get past an arbitrary door is a doodad that does nothing. 
But the door is open now! that's something! You couldn't get through the door before but now you can. You call that nothing? 

Yeah, and in DK 64 having so much of the gameplay revolve around "collect 10 million of these otherwise useless thingies to open this" became tiresome.  And, again, that wasn't really the point of Super Mario 64 and I feel Rare missed that.