Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 679699 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
With his 2nd straight Defensive Player of the Year award and his recent 2nd Year All NBA selection, hopefully Gobert finally realizes and accepts that being an All Star is not that big a deal. His game is defense-oriented, the one thing the All Star Game never has been.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Looks like Space Jam 2 is being filmed now. Also yes LeBron built a custom basketball court for everyone to play on while filming much like Jordan.   Also the cast is set for the Space Jam 2 movie.   Staring LeBron James, Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, Klay Thompson from the NBA and Diana Taurasi, Nneka Ogwumike and Chiney Ogwumike from the WNBA.   I am so excited for this movie.  I remember watching the original so much and I still have the soundtrack and the hardcover book on how it was made. Very exciting.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Here’s how misinformation spreads:

Quote from: Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports
Right now, Cleveland is trying to trade JR Smith and whichever teams that trades for him will waive him. When he's waived, it is my belief he'll end up with the Lakers.

Here’s a Deadspin article. And a RealGM article. And Yahoo itself and not from Haynes.

Haynes didn’t even cite “sources.” He literally just said his opinion and it’s all over Twitter now.

Look, this is exactly the kind of weirdo move the Lakers would make. Still, calm the F down, everyone.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I saw that as sponsored content on FB earlier today and I did not click or read the article but I think the only reason a team would sign him is because of his contract. It is one of the few expiring contracts which is partially guaranteed so trading for him and then waiving him would open up more cap space I think. He is going to be making 15.7 million but less than 25 percent is fully guaranteed ,but it would have to be done before the 30th of June to waive him, so that may be a way to open up more cap space.   JR as a player I don't see him coming to the Lakers. I think as far as LeBron is concerned he may be sore over Game 1 of the finals in the last Cavs vs Warriors series.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1143906064779362306?s=20

KD opts out. Go get your money, champ.

Much like Kawhi opting out, this seems totally expected. By opting out he can choose to re-sign with his current team or go elsewhere, while getting the security of a nice fat contract in the process.

Was there any reason he (or really, either Kawhi or Durant) would have stayed in the existing contract? 
I can't think of any, but might be oversimplifying.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Only if Durant wanted to recuperate on the Warriors dime and was worried about teams not wanting to sign him for the max despite missing the entirety of next season.

Except he’s Kevin Durant and 30 out of 30 teams would take that chance even with the worst injury a basketball player can have. I’ve read reports that the Warriors are even considering signing him to the five-year max with the promise of trading him to his destination of choice as kind of an olive branch/act of good faith for everything he did for the organization while also not losing him for nothing. It’ll be hard for the Warriors to improve otherwise with Steph Curry’s super-max contract as well as Klay Thompson’s most likely max contract (and probably Draymond Green’s max contract).

It would benefit both sides though Durant could easily just say “**** y’all” anyway and sign with the Knicks/Nets because injury or not, he’s Kevin Durant and teams will be all like, “Whatever you say, Mr. Durant.”

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
... and teams will be all like, “Whatever you say, Mr. Durant.”

Totally agree.

A friend was asking me what kind of contract the Raptors should offer to Kawhi, and my answer was that they should do literally whatever he wants. Max contract, max length, trade kickers and vetoes, player options whenever he wants... Sure, you got it!

Durant (even injured) is the same thing. There are only a handful of players worldwide who affect winning as much as these guys. Normally I'm a fan of looking at fit with the team and chemistry... but if you have a chance to get Durant on your side, you just do it and deal with any consequences later.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
If I remember correctly, the Warriors offered Klay and Durant the Max contract.

Klay's Max is 5yr $190M
Durant's Max is 5yr $221M

Durant's current player option was 1yr $31.5M
and had he opted in and delayed a Max Contract offer extension till next year, it possibly could've been even higher.

it would only make sense to opt out and then re-sign if he plans to stay.
I don't believe any other team can offer quite as much as the Warriors.
I'm pretty sure all other teams are capped at 4yr $160M or something like that.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
it would only make sense to opt out and then re-sign if he plans to stay.

I don't think that's true though.

Opting out is automatic - he can demand, and will receive, contract price/length up to the available limit from whichever team he signs with. No matter what team he picks, that will be better than what he gets paid otherwise.

Right now, if Golden State sees him walk away they get nothing in return. Their cap situation isn't great, so letting Durant walk won't open up much space for them to use to reload in the coming year. By signing him now and then trading him later (let's assume next year) Durant would get paid more and have more security from his contract, while the Warriors would still be able to get some kind of resources back from the trade. Largely a win-win situation, assuming Durant puts a trade veto in the contract to ensure he is sent to a team that he wants to play for.

That said, maybe Durant prefers the certainty of picking his own path if he doesn't plan to stay. Maybe he feels like somebody from Golden State didn't treat him properly when rushed back this year, and wants a different medical team involved in the rehab. Maybe Golden State doesn't consider the future resources to be worth the cost of paying for an injured player this coming year. Who knows what will happen?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
but it does make sense.... and you have to remember this is from the perspective of a Warrior fan hoping he stays long term.

If he planned to stay... He already knows the Warriors are offering him the Max. Why opt in and make $31.5M when he can opt out, and then sign back again for $42.4M. He'd be losing out on $11M if he took the player option.

Unless he planned on opting in and then hoping for the Max next year instead.... assuming he comes back near 100%, that would be likely, but what if during that year off, they see the snap back isn't that great, and they decide to let him walk in 20/21 season.

Even if he plans to leave, it would still make sense for him to opt out, and re-sign for the Max and then allow himself to be traded (with a trade clause) to the team of his choice, because no other team can offer that money. He'd be leaving money on the table.

The only downside to the opt-in and trade is that he would be losing assets on his new team to get traded from his old team for the sake of a higher pay check.

But he could just bounce to the Nets, join Kyrie, and forget about the extra money. "Instant" contender in the East (year after next) for sure. Assuming the team he goes to gives him all the time he needs to come back as close to 100% as possible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:48:28 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
I think the injury forced his hand a bit. That opt-in was probably still in the cards until his Achilles blew up.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
According to Woj, Lakers now have max cap space after the Wizards agreed to take on Wagner, Bonga, and Jones. Davis is waiving his trade bonus. According to David Aldridge, the Wizards are sending the Lakers cash in the trade.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
According to Woj, Lakers now have max cap space after the Wizards agreed to take on Wagner, Bonga, and Jones. Davis is waiving his trade bonus. According to David Aldridge, the Wizards are sending the Lakers cash in the trade.
In addition to this the Lakers are sending the Wizards their 2022 second round pick alongside Bonga, Wagner and Jones.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Looks like Kawhi is meeting with the Lakers, Clipper and Raptors when free agency opens up on the 30th.  Very exciting time to be a Laker fan.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Wow, things are happening.

I was just sitting with clients the other day and we were discussing how the NBA is basically sports reality television, and unlike other sports there's enough drama that you can follow year round since the players are actively encouraged to have individual personalities.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
The idea of a team, even a team I like, having three top seven players in the league (at worst) is kind of gross to me.

That said, the Lakers apparently have a meeting with Kawhi Leonard. I would have six people in the room: Jeanie Buss, Rob Pelinka, Frank Vogel, LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and Kobe Bryant.

Here’s the pitch: Pelinka opens by staying the max contract is on the table and that Leonard will unquestionably be the first option. Buss, Vogel, James, and Davis state they’re all on the same page. Vogel, James, and Davis talk shop, how Leonard fits into what they’re planning to do (offense, defense, scheduled “rest days” etc. etc.). Bryant and Leonard are apparently close friends, they work out together etc. etc. Bryant talks about how the Lakers took care of him after his Achilles injury and how they always take care of their superstar players etc. etc. James and Davis bring out a list of players they’ve tampered with spoken to who have agreed to join on minimum deals if Leonard signs.

It has to be about basketball, what matters to Leonard, and what the Lakers can do/have done that the Spurs/Raptors didn’t and other teams can’t. One of the low-key best things going for the Lakers is that they gave Bryant a near-max contract back when he clearly wasn’t worth that much as a current player because of how much he meant to the team and city and how grossly underpaid he was considering how much money he brought in. Contrast that to how Leonard views the Spurs. They didn’t want to give him the supermax while dunking all over him regarding his injury.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
James is giving Davis #23. Last season, James wore #23 in games and #6 in practice which I didn’t understand because Lance Stephenson wore #6. He should wear #24 and act like it isn’t a big deal.

He probably wears #6 this season. Also, the Lakers probably re-sign Lance Stephenson. Who needs Kawhi Leonard? Make ‘em dance, Born Ready! 82-0!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
It's increasingly looking like the Jazz are going to let Derrick Favors go, which would be a real pity. Unfortunately, several prominent players at the Power Forward position have allegedly expressed interest in signing with the Jazz, including Tobias Harris, Bobby Portis, and now Nikola Mirotic. The Jazz can't afford such a free agent while retaining Favors, so here we are.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
Looks like Kawhi is meeting with the Lakers, Clipper and Raptors when free agency opens up on the 30th.  ...

And apparently a couple of other teams shortly after, even including Dallas? Best not to count your chickens just yet. Lakers always talk bit about the free agents they'll land. Sometimes it works out, usually it doesn't. NY and Boston are the same way.

It's Leonard's first time being a highly sought after free agent. Although he found the highest possible level of success and was well taken care of on the Raptors, the loyalty there is very thin after being sent there via trade last year. So just getting a meeting doesn't mean much - especially for a player as level-headed as Kawhi. Who knows if flashy sales pitches will move him? (Though you can't blame anyone for trying!)

The exciting question to me is guessing how long Leonard will take to decide. People all over two countries will be on pins and needles until that deal is sealed... but he never looks rushed on the court and I can't see that poise changing here, despite the outside excitement. Whichever lucky team signs him with be considered one of the favorites for a 2019-2020 championship.

Edit: I am, however, very curious to see how the Lakers round out that roster. Sure, it's the Lakers and they have a few extremely talented players, so some role players might gravitate there on cheap contracts... but they'll have extremely little money to work and a lot of holes to fill if they sign another max deal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 08:51:48 PM by ejamer »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
so some role players might gravitate there on cheap contracts...

Cheap? More like league minimum. They're going to have to be very creative with who they sign and not strike out on their mid-level exception.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
I guess I am excited is because a lot of the media has written off the Lakers from even getting a meeting with Kawhi so I am happy to prove them wrong. I am also happy to see that the Lakers have that cap space so they can be flexible with their options going forward.  If the Lakers do get one of the Ks then they will have this year's draft picks, 2 way players and vet min and exceptions to fill out the roster. If they strike out on max players they could get D'lo and deandre jordan and maybe Seth curry. Beverly and Danny Green is also options.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Okay so it seems if the Warriors don't give Klay the max 190 million then Klay is going to look at the Clippers and Lakers.  For me personally while he is a very good player he is coming off an injury so I think our money will be tied up in his contract and that may not be the best if he is expected to come back at the earliest February or March so it would be Kuz, AD and Lebron and whatever team the Lakers can put around them with the remaining cap space, exceptions and mini contracts.   I think this is just a signal to the Warriors to sign him using the Lakers as leverage to be frank.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I thought the Warriors already made it known they plan to offer Klay and Durant the MAXXX?
where is this "news" coming from?

or is it as you said, Klay's camp making sure the Warriors don't play no games come Sunday?

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
The latter. I am sure that it is just Klays camp doing their job.
Alexis, she/her/Miss