Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals E3 2014 Plans, Includes Smash Bros. Tournament  (Read 15846 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Reveals E3 2014 Plans, Includes Smash Bros. Tournament
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 06:24:11 PM »
If they really wanted to get people excited, worldwide downloadable demos would be good.

Agreed, but we cover this every year: no dev wants the general public to see how broken their game really is 3 months->1 year before it releases.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
The most surprising reveal to me here is that Mega 64 still exists, and is less funnier than ever.  I remember finding some of their video game parody videos funny back in 2004/2005.

I'm not surprised by the announcement, but I honestly like a lot of the fanfare involved in the live press conference, and still wonder if moving away from this venue makes them less noticeable in the general gaming press.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
Plus need I remind everyone that Nintendo did this same strategy of not having an E3 press conference with the 3DS last year as well and yet that system did fine.  Shows that the lack of an E3 press conference isn't what caused the Wii U's problems for 2013, and isn't a neccessary thing in order to help give a system good sales.
Precisely. It's strange to me how selective certain people are regarding this. Wii U is undoubtedly struggling, but 3DS is doing extremely well. If you suggest that the lack of a big E3 press conference hurt Wii U, that same logic would point to it helping 3DS. It really doesn't appear that E3 had anything to do with either product's performance. It also baffles me that the same people are applauding for Sony using the same reasoning despite Vita doing terribly. If you're going to **** all over Nintendo for their E3 plans, it's unfair to praise Sony at the same time.

Frankly, I wish Sony and Microsoft would follow suit. Oh, you're going to ramble on about TV and Call of Duty? I'll just skip those videos then.

I think you could make a compelling argument, however, that the Playstation 4's current good fortunes derive in no small part from Sony's crowd-pleasing E3 conference last year. By all accounts the PS4 has been selling very well, and it certainly isn't because of the slew of ground-breaking next-generation games. I think much of that console's success can be attributed to the new focus on indie development and certain popular policy announcements which were handled so deftly by Sony during it's E3 presentation. Sony was able to accurately gauge the mood of that portion of the video game audience that actually pays attention to E3, it then calibrated it's message accordingly, and the PS4 has pretty much rode that wave ever since.

Sony were able to make a big enough splash amongst a dedicated audience that it caused ripples outside of the video game media bubble. The perception of Sony as a company has changed drastically since 2012 and much of that was because of last year's E3 showing.

I'm not saying Nintendo need to have a large press conference, or that Nintendo's current approach is broken, but I do believe that having the confidence to walk on to the big stage at E3, and to allow your audience the opportunity to make a very direct comparison between you and your competitors, is meaningful.
Gouge away.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 06:52:24 PM »
If they really wanted to get people excited, worldwide downloadable demos would be good.

Agreed, but we cover this every year: no dev wants the general public to see how broken their game really is 3 months->1 year before it releases.

True, but I'm not suggesting that they release demos for each of their upcoming games. However, releasing a demo for a game that's coming out in a few months, like say Smash Bros for 3DS, a game which should be all but finished, would be a nice treat.

I also think that Smash Bros is especially suitable for a demo because of how segmented it is. Smash Bros, after all, is nothing if not a collection of characters and stages. If Nintendo were worried about showing unfinished parts of the game, then a single stage with a handful of characters would suffice; something to whet the appetite.
Gouge away.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:24 PM »
Look on the bright side, guys. When the Wii U continues to tank despite Smash Bros, Iwata will finally be gone and we'll get someone who knows what the **** they're doing in his place.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:40 PM »
Hmm, I don't particularly care about the lack of a press conference, I'm not going to be at E3 or anything, so a polished and well-paced video actually sounds better. You lose a bit of live reaction energy, but it's a worthwhile trade.

But last year I definitely heard people in meat space say that Nintendo is doing so poorly that they skipped E3. This will continue, plus give the press more ammo for the Nintendoomed narrative.

Taking everything into consideration, I don't think the fact that it's a video instead of conference really says anything about the content, but it's hard to fight the "if Nintendo had anything impressive to show they'd have a live conference" feeling.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
I'm not really caring either way, but that's because E3 needs an enema. Badly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 11:33:11 PM »
Sony's success with PS4 has less to do with their press conference and more to do with just how bad Microsoft was last year.  Granted, Sony stomped a mudhole in MS overall plan but they are still only in the lead by a few 1000 systems.

On to Nintendo:

If they don't have the product to show, then it doesn't matter if they have a press conference or a skywriter, its all about content not delivery. I love the pomp and press of E3, booth girls and sale figures. It's all wonderful fodder for me but Nintendo needs to move in a different direction. Last years E3 direct was underwhelming but they showed very little in terms of new games and content. THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN THIS YEAR( and I'm always right). Digital Event and Treehouse Live should be an interesting experiment.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »
Sony's success with PS4 has less to do with their press conference and more to do with just how bad Microsoft was last year.  Granted, Sony stomped a mudhole in MS overall plan but they are still only in the lead by a few 1000 systems.

"A few 1,000 systems", huh? At last official count, Sony stated they had sold 7 MILLION PS4s worldwide, and Microsoft stated they had shipped 5 MILLION Xbones worldwide. You're a few zeroes off there, ace.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:04 AM »
Sony's success with PS4 has less to do with their press conference and more to do with just how bad Microsoft was last year.
I had the biggest dissonance ever last year where Sony announced that they're gonna force everyone to pay for online and everyone clapped and asked for more.

That's how liberty dies.. with thunderous applause.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »
Sony's success with PS4 has less to do with their press conference and more to do with just how bad Microsoft was last year.
I had the biggest dissonance ever last year where Sony announced that they're gonna force everyone to pay for online and everyone clapped and asked for more.

That's how liberty dies.. with thunderous applause.

If you are a PlayStation owner and you don't already own PlayStation Plus, you are a fool and you don't deserve to play online with me.  :P:

Seriously, PS+ has MORE than justified itself by this point. It's downright idiotic to complain about having to have it to play online right now. If Sony starts yanking the perks that have made Plus worth having in the future, that'll be a different story, but for now you're a fool if you don't have it already.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 04:42:49 AM »
As i said: "thunderous applause".

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2014, 05:13:54 AM »
As i said: "thunderous applause".

Thanks for sharing. In the meantime, everyone else is enjoying more than $50 worth of non-MP PS+ benefits every year. As I said, if that situation changes where Sony's no longer offering the kind of perks with it they have so far, you'll have a legitimate argument. For right now, that's not the case.

On a side note, I've been meaning to mention this but got sidetracked by the whole "Nintendo's not showing up for E3 again after 3 straight years of financial losses" thing: I do think it is a very good thing that Nintendo is doing this Smash Bros. tournament at E3. I may have nothing but disdain for the Smash Bros. fighting game community, but a tournament at E3 is an excellent way to show off your new game. Frankly, I'm somewhat shocked Capcom hasn't tried this yet (as far as I know).  I just wish it wasn't the only big thing Nintendo was doing at E3 this year.

There's a certain spontaneity, energy, and wonder to an E3 press conference that's just...lost...in these Directs. I'm increasingly finding myself not giving a **** about them because it doesn't feel like there's ever an impetus to watch them. I still haven't watched the Smash Bros. Direct, and I love Smash Bros. It just doesn't feel...important enough to devote time to this way.  Say what you will about the boring side of the pressers, but the possibility that things will not come off as scripted, that the audience will NOT love or automatically know what's coming next is what makes it interesting.

I dunno, the Directs just kind of remind me of when we were doing pre-recorded reviews on NFR: they were polished and they got their ideas through better than our ordinary conversations, but they were dry and boring without the back-and-forth of actual conversation. In fact, the Directs remind me of watching a sports game after the fact that you've DVR-ed: you can skip to the good bits and replay the parts you want, but nothing is going to happen that wasn't pre-scripted. The magic is gone.

At the end of the day, I can't blame Nintendo for going completely pre-recorded now. Their abysmal 2008 Wii Music E3 Conference was the very reason I became a multi-platform owner and have never looked back since. Their underwhelming 2012 Nintendoland E3 Conference certainly didn't do the Wii any favors.  But at the same time, one of the most memorable events in E3 history happened at a Nintendo press conference with the first reveal of Twilight Princess. Having everything in a pre-scripted; perfectly edited; and incredibly Engrish-ed Direct will make for a very efficient and cost-effective showing, but I miss the magic that can only happen when you have presenters showing off their games (which may or may not work) before an audience that may or may not like it. And in their day, Nintendo could hit the highs of that format with the best of them.

I know I'm rambling, but with another birthday come and gone I'm increasingly finding myself reflective, wistful for the days when Nintendo could still excite me. It just feels like the magic is slowly being drained away, like it has with everything else.  May Nintendo prove me wrong. I hope they do.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2014, 05:16:09 AM »
if that situation changes where Sony's no longer offering the kind of perks with it they have so far...
Sony announced that they're gonna force everyone to pay for online and everyone clapped and asked for more.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »
if that situation changes where Sony's no longer offering the kind of perks with it they have so far...
Sony announced that they're gonna force everyone to pay for online and everyone clapped and asked for more.

If your point is that 8 years from now (the lifespan of the PS3's extremely slow and buggy free PSN) Sony's going to make PS+ a far worse service, then 8 years from now I won't resubscribe. Right now, you just look ridiculous.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 05:58:13 AM »
I going to be write very slowly now:

PS3 ONLINE=FREE

PS4 ONLINE=NOT FREE

ONLINE:
FREE→NOT FREE

Sane reaction when
FREE→NOT FREE

should be

:) → >:[

Instead:

\o/\o/\o/ SONY © \o/\o/\o/

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »

PS3 ONLINE=FREE

PS4 ONLINE=NOT FREE

ONLINE:
FREE→NOT FREE

Sane reaction when
FREE→NOT FREE

should be

Instead:

And I'm also going to write very slowly now:

"No one...gives...a ****...except you."

PS4 online having a fee associated with it isn't great, but servers cost money to maintain and if you haven't noticed, the PS3's free PSN servers suck (something I've been especially familiar with lately when I was redownloading 1 TB worth of PSN history onto my new PS3 HDD, which took 1.5 weeks). I've been paying into PS+ for years, and it's non-MP benefits have more than justified its $50 price tag. So now PS4 requires it for online. So what? I was going to pay for it anyway for the other features.

Offline azeke

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2014, 06:17:33 AM »
No one...gives...a ****...except you
Which is exactly the reason it's so disconcerting.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2014, 07:06:16 AM »
Having everything in a pre-scripted; perfectly edited; and incredibly Engrish-ed Direct will make for a very efficient and cost-effective showing, but I miss the magic that can only happen when you have presenters showing off their games (which may or may not work) before an audience that may or may not like it. And in their day, Nintendo could hit the highs of that format with the best of them.
I understand this more than the idea that E3 has some great effect on sales performance. Still, I strongly prefer the pre-recorded Directs because they're so focused. There will be three whole days of dozens of websites taking off-screen videos and conducting countless interviews with developers and corporate suits who will be forced to dance around and stutter through certain questions they were unprepared to answer. Many times I don't even get to watch the press conferences live as I have pesky things like a full-time job that get in the way so when I finally get around to watching them, I end up scrubbing through the video for the interesting bits. Finding where they start is more work than clicking on a dedicated video. I get what you're saying, but you like them for the same reason I don't. The only thing I miss from these big press conferences any any event is when someone cuts the video down to all the bad parts. "Call of Duty, Call of Duty, Call of Duty, TV, Sports, TV, Sports, Sports, Television, TV, Call of Duty, Sports, Television."

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »
I like video games.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2014, 07:39:46 AM »
I like video games.

Damn it! That was going to be my line.
Gouge away.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 09:08:10 AM »
An episode 3 reference in a Nintendo is doomed-ish conversation, all my favorite things together at last. It's like some digital klondike bar paired with milano cookies.

PS+ is quite awesome but shouldn't be mandatory. 

As for this years E3, there is a reason we haven't had any major Nintendo Directs this year (save for smash), Nintendo knows that they blew their load far too early last year (ND Jan 2013) for any meaningful impact. They had little new to show and could only expound on already announced titles. "The power to please the mob, is power" and in that regard, Nintendo must please the crowd.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
PS+ is quite awesome but shouldn't be mandatory. 

Lucky for us then it isn't mandatory.

I've had PS+ since the PS4 launch but I've let my subscription lapse this month because I don't have any games that I currently wish to play online and I'm not sold on May's entry in Instant game collection.
Gouge away.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 12:13:49 PM »
Last year what Nintendo actually showed wasn't that interesting so if they have something more substantial this year then that will make a big difference.  Stuff like the infamous Wii Music E3 wasn't a dud because of how they presented but simply because of what they presented.  The reality was that Wii Music was the Wii's big Christmas game and THAT is what sucked.  There was no way to save the presentation because the lineup for the next year was garbage and you can't fix that with a good presentation.

So if Nintendo has an impressive list of games for the next year of the Wii U that's what will really matter.  But I still feel that "skipping" E3 gives a bad impression.  Right now, when Nintendo has never been more irrelevant, was not the time to act like they're too big for E3.  It looks like E3 is too big for them.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 12:17:19 PM »

PS3 ONLINE=FREE

PS4 ONLINE=NOT FREE

ONLINE:
FREE→NOT FREE

Sane reaction when
FREE→NOT FREE

should be

Instead:

Bravo! And all this cheerleading for PS+'s amazing value . . . if it doesn't appeal to you, then it doesn't have value. If having a random selection of old games slotted around takes the sting off of paying for online multiplayer for you, then fine, but it is by no means unreasonable to refuse Sony's offer.