Author Topic: A new rumor about the Revolution  (Read 16007 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: A new rumor about the Revolution
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2005, 11:32:38 AM »
I agree that 99 is way too low, the game cube has been priced that for a while and it still cant compete. People will think it is inferior,  I think teh perfect solution would be between 200 and 250 adn it shuold come iwth the basics and hopefully 1 game and a download or two. I am willing to pay as much as 300 for the rev but onlyif it comes with a game, the last nintendo console to launch with a pack in was SNES, and nietehr of those consoles did as well as it. Even though it wasnt a great game, good but not great, Mario SUnshine could have helpe da lot if it had been a  pack in. Or Pikmin or Luigis mansion either one, but sadly it didnt happen. ALso Mario *needs* to be available for launch no matter what because if not it will hurt them I think because people wont wait around for teh rev to geta good mario game they want it right away to asssure them it was the right choice. i raealy do anyways.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:A new rumor about the Revolution
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2005, 05:35:15 PM »

3)Nintendo could afford to take a minor loss to help jump start its marketshares, if the system cost Nintendo 125-130 to make, and they sell it for $99, then you won't loss too much compared to the market share you will make up
Ha, not likely...

I know everyone would like it to break the $200 US mark, but I'm guessing it will go for $229.99 US including a controller/analogue attachment, as well as possibly a shell. Then there might be a bundle with SSB:R or Mario 128 with the same inclusions for $259.99. Then maybe include a few downloadable games to sweeten the deal.

That would be about $270 CDN for the basic and $305 for the bundle. Not too shabby because of the exchange rate.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »
how  bad can  an  ati  card  from  2006  look?..even a low end  card is vastly  superior to current  video game  systems
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »
The question is. If the Rev comes with the shell attachment, the analog stick, and a game, would we all be willing to pay $299ish? I would.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2005, 06:12:40 AM »
ill pay up to 300, but i think keeping it less than 250 (or 270 with game) would just be awesome.. that's 150 USD less than the X360.

either way, what will stop people from buying a rev? it'll be hard for even teh most diehard graphics whores and sonybots to dismiss the new opportunities in gaming available at a much lower price point. Also, online options will likely be free for the best games, saving them yet another $50 that they'd dish out for Xbox Live.
I'll shut up now...

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2005, 12:38:13 PM »
I don't think Nintendo's going with more than 200 (honestly, until I know for sure we're getting more 3rd party support this time, I don't think I'd pay much more than that).
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 01:25:26 PM »
The plastic and minor electronics elements of the shell and analog stick will be pretty inexpensive.  Nintendo probably can easily afford to package the system with a controller with everything for next to nothing.  

I also expect Nintendo to sell the controllers with everything included.  Shell, Analog stick, and remote...simply because it will help developers know what consumers have out there at their utility to play the games.

Nintendo won't go back to packaging free games inside the box, and I doubt they will allow free downloads unless that shell is provided (who knows if they would have the equipment to play the games.)

The only thing we might get is a system with 2 controllers included...but this would most likely be reserved for a special bundle system...and controller sales bring in $$$ to the company...so why waste the extra revenue.

We won't be seeing the system debut at $99 but we also won't see it around $250 either.

I expect somewhere firmly in the middle...most likely $199, but I could see Nintendo trying for $149 to sell along the same price as the DS opening.

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 02:47:11 PM »
i think $150 isnt even an option right now.. stupid people will think that the system is completely lacking if they are saving that much money .. its kinda crazy that a system wont sell if it's priced too low
I'll shut up now...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2005, 08:28:36 AM »
I like the idea of a pack-in game.  Remember the Rev is backwards compatible with the Cube so they could make t come with your choice of a free Cube game (first party and maybe a few select third party games).  Zelda is going to be released the same year and there is probably gong to be a fair bit of potential Rev buyers who didn't own a Cube who want that game.  So if they could get it free there's an extra incentive to buy at launch.  And then us Cube owners who no doubt already bought Zelda months before we can pick a first party game we missed, unless you have all of them.

If that's too expensive they can always go with downloads.  Seriously how much for the download possibly cost Nintendo?  There's no physical production required.  It's just a download.  Why not include an extra for free?  It would get people trying out the service and encourage going online from the get-go.  I say they include a free NES, SNES, and N64 download.  Let everyone get a play with all the past consoles.

And finally another option is to include a demo disc of all the launch games and some upcoming titles.  So once you get your Rev you can try everything out and then maybe you'll feel the need to go out and buy more games.  Demos of future games would be especially important so that Nintendo can get the whole existing userbase hyped for a game's release.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2005, 09:13:45 AM »
While a free download or two would be nice, I don't think it's going to be a big selling point.  Remember, there are still many households in America (and I assume Europe and Austraila, too) that don't have broadband connections.  Free downloadable games aren't going to be big selling points to those customers.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2005, 09:35:08 AM »
"Remember, there are still many households in America (and I assume Europe and Austraila, too) that don't have broadband connections. Free downloadable games aren't going to be big selling points to those customers."

If you don't have a broadband connection I have a feeling you're not the type to ever buy a console within the initial launch period anyway.  

I don't know what everyone else is thinking but my strategy regarding free download games is to attract the fence sitters.  It's to get hardcore gamers that plan on eventually getting all three consoles to buy a Rev sooner rather than later or to get people who just want a console and aren't really paying much attention to give the Rev a second look.  If you're got someone who wants to get a game console for his kids for Christmas and the salesman says "this one costs this much less and comes with free games" that guy's going to consider it.  People like stuff that's free so I think it just provides an extra little incentive to get a Rev at launch or to pick one over a competing console.

Nintendo did do something like this with the Metroid Prime Hunters demo.  Did that help convince any of you DS owners to buy one at launch?

Edit: Just thought of something.  What helped MS pull ahead of the Nintendo and not look back?  The Sega bundle at Christmas 2002.  The Xbox came with two free games while the Cube came with squat.  The Xbox sold much better and just sold better and better over the next few years.  The Cube however started it's downward spiral into obscurity.  People like FREE STUFF.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2005, 09:46:41 AM »
Meanwhile Nintendo is making a profit and Microsoft lost 4 billion...I think it's pretty much guaranteed that MS isn't going to pull the same tricks they pulled this gen with the 360...Personally I think the Rev should come bundled with a few free game downloads of your choice...It's simple, cheap, and people will jump all over it...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »
I say bundle the Rev with a Zelda:TP special edition, that will make all the people that bought the original upgrade to the Rev  immediately, and all of those that wanted to play the original but waiting for it to hit a bargain price, to hopefully just pony up the cash and get the upgrade. Not to mention those that either never owned or sold off their cubes that were planning on (re)buying one(specifically for this game) to just pick up a Rev instead.  That would make me want to buy NOW moreso than a free download from some system that I haven't missed for 5, 10 or 15 years.  

Granted that there are games I never played from past systems that I have always wanted to play(i.e. SMRPG - snes), but if I have done without for this long, its not gonna bother me if I never play it either. Its not gonna be the talk of the year, its not gonna come up in casual convo, and since it was sooo long ago that I never played it, I'm not gonna remember(or care about) what I'm missing.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005, 11:29:53 AM »
"I say bundle the Rev with a Zelda:TP special edition"

What would be so neat about the special edition?  I really don't like double-dipping.  I'd rather not feel like a chump for buying the Cube version early and it's probably in Nintendo's best interest that no one feels that way.  Some might buy the Rev for the special edition but some would probably just get really pissed off and I think Nintendo's at a position where they can't afford to piss off many of their fans.  It takes a lot of patience to stay loyal to Nintendo right now and that sort of thing could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Plus I think providing variety and choices for a pack-in helps ensure that almost everyone is satisfied.  It's not much fun getting a pack-in you didn't want or you already have.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 01:18:25 PM »
Other companies double-dip all the time and get away with it fine.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2005, 01:25:05 PM »

Originally posted by: vudu
While a free download or two would be nice, I don't think it's going to be a big selling point.  Remember, there are still many households in America (and I assume Europe and Austraila, too) that don't have broadband connections.  Free downloadable games aren't going to be big selling points to those customers.

keep in mind that downloading a game is not the same as playing a game online, you do not need a fast connection.  Think about it like a file sharing program (ie limewire) you can do it with a slow connection, but it takes FOREVER, it would be the same situation.  So even though broadband is needed to play games online, you dont need it to download games, it just really helps speed things up.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »
"keep in mind that downloading a game is not the same as playing a game online, you do not need a fast connection."

I don't think the Rev supports anything other than broadband though.  Hell I'm not sure if it takes anything but wireless broadband but that's a different issue altogether.

I wonder if there's another way they could do the downloads.  Doesn't the Rev have like a big memory card for saving?  What if you could remove the card, take it to a store like EB or Toys 'R' Us, and use a download kiosk to get games?  So that feature is still available for those offline, it just requires a little more effort from the consumer.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2005, 01:51:51 PM »
Well, it's got 512 MB internal RAM for saving, and if they don't use that to save downloads, they'd have to include removeable memory as well (in the system bundle, they will have it).  If they do that, I think downloadable games at stores would be a pretty cool idea  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2005, 02:08:18 PM »
I assume that due to the controller the system will be at least $199.  Nintendo believes they can make a more streamlined system and still attain equal graphics compared to the competition by not going 720p.  It may work out; in theory the developer will be able to tap the power of the system quicker than 360 or PS3 because they don't have to meet 720p resolution standards which will chop up the frame rate.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2005, 02:27:53 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I wonder if there's another way they could do the downloads.  Doesn't the Rev have like a big memory card for saving?  What if you could remove the card, take it to a store like EB or Toys 'R' Us, and use a download kiosk to get games?  So that feature is still available for those offline, it just requires a little more effort from the consumer.

Saves and games are saved on the actual hardware, and you can use an SD card to transport your saves and games (or free up space on your flash drive)...Or that's what I've gotten from it...

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2005, 02:36:02 PM »
The reason I say bundle Mario and the shell and make it $249.99 is Mario could easily show people how the wand is to be used, and having the shell along with the Nunchuk would satisfy all the major needs of developers and gamers.

And $250 is a great price point, less than the competition, but enough to justify what it comes with.

The problem with the downloads is you lose a great opportunity to show off the wand in a breakthrough game.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2005, 02:39:44 PM »
Who said that the downloads won't be modified to use the Revmote? (Stop calling it a wand, dammit)

Offline Avinash_Tyagi

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2005, 02:51:48 PM »
Why not call it a wand?

It'll go big with the HP fans.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2005, 04:11:24 PM »
Because Nintendo isn't EA?
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:55 PM »
"Who said that the downloads won't be modified to use the Revmote?"

Those of us who assume Nintendo aren't a bunch of stupid doorknobs who would shoehorn classic games into a controller they obviously weren't designed for.  I suppose they might do it but it would take a bunch of extra effort and I'm VERY sceptical that it wouldn't, well, be an unplayable mess for anything other than NES games.  They got the shell so why not use it for the old games and make them as authentic and accurate as possible?