Author Topic: Episode 415: Boring Victory Lap  (Read 6789 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Episode 415: Boring Victory Lap
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:14:40 AM »

Get ready for RFN's first-ever live unboxing (of horror).

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/39555/episode-415-boring-victory-lap

After two annual specials in a row, it feels good to slip back into our usual format this week. New Business gets a strong start to thanks to Guillaume's post-game evaluation of Bayonetta 2, including some positive sessions with its online cooperative mode. James gives quick updates on Atelier Escha & Logy and Persona Q, but his main topic is the level editor in Smash U. Jon transports us all back to 80s arcades with his impressions of 3D After Burner II, while Jonny also regresses with the lovely (and awkward) HD remake of the GameCube remake of Resident Evil.

Listener Mail is abbreviated this time, but for good reason. The questions concern Club Nintendo and a very personal discussion of how games can help us cope with loss. Things get serious for a while, but we end the show on a thrilling note, as birthday boy James opens a mysterious and frankly nefarious package from one of his admirers. However, we don't really want anyone to mail us anything except musings of the electronic kind!

Finally, we are excited to announce the return of our community-driven RetroActive feature. After sifting through dozens of your great suggestions, we settled on a trio of nominees with little in common, except that they're all readily available on Virtual Console: Castlevania III (NES), Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC), and the original Sin & Punishment (N64). Listeners will determine which game we play and discuss on a future episode, so please vote without delay and try to play along once the winner is announced! Voting will only be open for about a week and a half from this posting, so vote now, before you forget!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 415: Boring Victory Lap
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
I actually made a pretty decent sort of tribute to the Mad Space level in Sonic Adventure 2, and a really fun stage that has a giant Clex head that items get stuck inside all the time.

Probably the neatest thing I've made in the stage creator though was a final destination type level that had rounded ledges that make the edge guarding game quite interesting because of the abiguity of what technically is and isn't the ledge! I also made one that's kinda divided and the only way for most characters to beat the gap is to ride this kind of treterous moving platform that I have going through the middle. there's still plenty of room to fight on it, but there's also little rocks of magma floating about and a big wall in the center so you have to fall through the platform and jump onto the other side to get to the other end of the divide.

To Jame's trouble with the stage editor and lack of imagination, I say...

G G
I  U
T D

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 10:29:46 AM »
Last year my significant other was very ill and hospitalized 4 times.  I played a lot of 3DS.  Big expansive RPGs were a godsend.  I played through Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening.   They helped kill the time and gave me something to look forward too.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
DK in Punch Out may be hard but they still wrecked him on AGDQ.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 05:18:14 PM »
I had to chuckle a bit when the group discussed Doc Louis' Punch Out not being available ever again, and then within 24 hours of the episode going up Club Nintendo adds it as one of the final rewards. The Streak continues!  ;D

On that note, on the next episode can the podcast declare that Iwata will never step down as Nintendo president?  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 05:39:17 PM »
It's been years since I've played Resident Evil 2, but I don't remember the game taking advantage of the second stick.  The real problem with the port was the severely compressed videos.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 07:24:31 PM »
I don't think we predicted anything about Doc Louis, just stated that it had never been made available otherwise -- totally true as of that recording.

As for RE2, the original didn't use any sticks on PS1 -- we were explaining that the N64 port did add analog movement. The point is that it's not a strictly inferior port, though the drawbacks are major.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline K-S-O

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:03 PM »
Everyone vote for Sin & Punishment for Retroactive!  I know I did!

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:39:35 AM »
Everyone vote for Sin & Punishment for Retroactive!  I know I did!

All three of these games are tempting to vote for. On the one hand, Castlevania 3 is some great stuff and I can fillibuster about it, but I'd much, MUCH rather play another game in that franchise because ffffffffffuck that game can be kinda rough when you have not played it in a while. and really, if we're going to look at any Classicvania title, I'd rather talk about both of the Richter Belmont games (Rondo of Blood and Dracula XX/Vampire's Kiss/**** port of good game) in a retroactive double header, or talk about the weirdness that is Castlevania The Adventure: Rebirth. or Order of Ecclesia.

And then there's Sin and Punishment. as Johnny said, it's a game not in the conversation at the moment. While I love treasure, I'd take about 8 or 9 of their other games* before I'd take Sin and Punishment's nonsense story and outright clumsy control scheme. I don't really like the game a ton, but hearing the conversation in the forums as I blast out crumudgeonry could be fun...

Nay, though... My vote is on Pokemon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color/3DS VC! thsi game brought me HOURS of joy. I don't know what it is about friggin' TCG portable games, but I eat them up like nuts. it beats the crap out of trying to scrounge up such a variety of opponents by having to actually go to an event only to get destroyed by some rediculously stupid troll deck in the format like Power of One or Night March. (I briefly started trying to get back into playing Pokemon TCG. tried a Donphan deck. eh.)

My fondest memories of the pokemon TCG come from the period of time unto which this video game encapsulates; a time where the game was in it's infancy and- you know what? I should save it for retroactive, because I hope you all vote for it too. in a way, it is an RPG with a non-linear progression that isn't just generic EXP.

*Gunstar Heroes, Gunstar Super Heroes, Dynamite Heady, Mischief Makers, Guardian Heroes, Silhouette Mirage, Ikaruga, Gradius V, Wario World.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:35:52 AM »
That coping with video games letter, woof. Today, I learned of the passing of Monty Oum (animator of the Haloid internet action short and other video), listened to this podcast, and watched the fourth episode of Death Parade (an anime about death and reflecting on life). Tears were shed, but it was a good hurt. I have yet to go through any experiences of mortality with video games by my side, but the discussion has me thinking about it.

Good show!

Offline gojira

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
I don't think we predicted anything about Doc Louis, just stated that it had never been made available otherwise -- totally true as of that recording.

As for RE2, the original didn't use any sticks on PS1 -- we were explaining that the N64 port did add analog movement. The point is that it's not a strictly inferior port, though the drawbacks are major.

I was referring to James saying that they had to make weird accommodations to port the game to a one stick system.  RE2 didn't utilize the second stick in the Playstation version so there were no accommodations needed.  You mentioned the direct control, but I don't know what James was talking about.

Oh, I was also going to say Resident Evil Zero only starts on a train.  Just goes to show how much people have played of that game.  It did have some interesting advances despite still playing in the old style.  They had the character zap system where you controlled both characters at the same time.  Also they did some odd stuff with inventory management.  You could drop items on the ground or exchange them between characters. 

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
 it beats the crap out of trying to scrounge up such a variety of opponents by having to actually go to an event only to get destroyed by some rediculously stupid troll deck in the format like Power of One or Night March. (I briefly started trying to get back into playing Pokemon TCG. tried a Donphan deck. eh.)
I got to the point in College that the only way I play in a card game tournament is if it was a starter deck and booster backs.  I just couldn't invest the money and time to make a super deck of my own to just watch it get trounced by someone who had more money and time than me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Stardust

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:44 PM »
Just as a precaution since the poll is using Survey Monkey, is it possible that people could vote multiple times immediately? Because if so then the voting might be flawed (Although I'm pretty sure you guys have already thought of this so just ignore this if we are all good :D)

Otherwise I reeeeeally want to try Sin and Punishment, it sounded like a fun little experience to have, especially if the whole crew is playing. And I want to appreciate the Sin and Punishment that is on the Wii so I can readily play that game right after.

The other choices are pretty great too which makes this a tough Retro Active Poll, although I don't think Pokemon the Trading Card game will really be an interesting play through, as card games tend to gear towards a different audience, plus I don't think I would enjoy the game itself after hearing James' reaction towards the game.
Bad players mash all the buttons. Good players mash one button.

Live and Let live.

Offline yoshi1001

• View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:19:24 AM »
For the Pokemon TCG game, if it gets picked you should definitely find someone who's familiar with the current state of the TCG to make some comparisons. As it turns out, there are actually a number of (unfortunate) parallels between problems in the original TCG and the BW generation of cards. The GB game itself is actually pretty fun, though, so don't let that discourage you.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:28:51 AM »
I set up Survey Monkey to be IP-restricted, so hopefully that will keep things honest.

I'm so glad to see people complaining that it's a hard choice. That's always our goal!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »
For the Pokemon TCG game, if it gets picked you should definitely find someone who's familiar with the current state of the TCG to make some comparisons.
What are you talking about? We already have Johnny "Magic the Gathering" Metts around, what more do you need?

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 03:22:40 PM »
For the Pokemon TCG game, if it gets picked you should definitely find someone who's familiar with the current state of the TCG to make some comparisons.
What are you talking about? We already have Johnny "Magic the Gathering" Metts around, what more do you need?

I think Yoshi 1001 just wants Jwittz to show up on RFN for no real reason other than to have Jwittz on.

For the uninitiated, Jwittz is a popular youtuber who has a primary focus on Pokemon, and particularly the TCG. he also generally is brought on for color commentary for the TCG world championships.

Offline yoshi1001

• View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
Jwitzz would be a good choice, as would a number of other prominent TCG players I've had the pleasure of meeting over the years.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/