Author Topic: Destiny  (Read 24201 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Destiny
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I guess it just wasn't clear to me that the 'Devil's Lair' mission was distinct from the others. It was just another selectable point on the map, so I thought it was a story mission like the others. I went on to beat it with another group and thought it was pretty fun.
My Big problem with Devil's Lair is that last two bosses.  Spider-Tank needs its health dropped in half and Eye guy needs an adjustment down of about a quarter.  Spider-Tank just is boring easily half way through.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
The beta just became open to all with PS+ or Xbox Gold, which is nice.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 05:21:36 PM »
Will try and play some of the PVP tonight, and try the other two classes after work tomorow.

But yeah I'm set that this is going to be my next major driver game. Sony def choose the right game between this and titanfall.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
The game is multiplatform, so I don't know how Sony "chose" anything.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
Sony's putting so much marketing behind this game it's not funny. In the eyes of the wider audience, it's going to be PS4 only. (Same thing they did with Watch Dogs.)

Which is a shame, as this would be best served on a platform where you don't have to pay for online (PS3).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
Alright the Destiny Beta is done.

Things that I haven't mentioned.  I did the Moon when it was open.  Sort of interesting.  Reminds me of the Moon PvP map, which I hate, I think that Mission wise it could get more interesting.  I did do it on both modes, normal and higher level, I have to say that they Mini-Boss they put at the beginning of the Moon on Higher Level is the hardest thing the moon had to offer.  He was aggressive, would chase you, close to melee when he had an opportunity, needless to say he was rough.  The Hive Wizard at the end is no chump either and if I had to face him on an open killing field yeah...  Luckily though the room is setup for the fight.  Unluckily though I died the first time on the Higher Level so I had to do the fight without any heavy ammo.  A lot of widdling down to get minor damage while charging the super.

At the end of the day I loved my Titan.  He felt me but, I have to concede that at this stage the Titan may be the weakest of the 3 classes.  Extra armor means relatively squat when you can regen everything.  Now if you could only regen Shields health damage was permanent till healed otherwise maybe.  I know why they went away from that design and I think it was a good choice.   But the bomb on the Titan is not nearly as powerful as the Warlocks including the upgraded version of the Titan's that is suppose to be the equivalent.  The Super for the Titan while cool doesn't have the flexibility of the other two and the Warlock does about the same.  I have a feeling the Alpha and Beta are doing Titan's a disservice by being capped at level 8.  Looking later in the skill tree I think they come more into there own at the higher levels.

Let's talk about leveling and Rep Gear.  Rep is almost useless while leveling which was made painfully obvious by the Alpha and the Beta.  You really couldn't get anything from leveling rep.

I tried PvP leveling a character and man thats rough.  You might hit just as hard because of the equalization but, you missing a lot of you tool set.  I had to play matches with no Grenade, Super, and Double Jump.  On some of those maps missing the Double Jump is painful.  Gear for the secondary stats are rarely dolled out.  They really need a vendor that you can use Rep from The Crucible to buy supplemental gear of your level.

In the Moon PvP vehicles still need to be tweaked.  That tank vehicle either needs a bump down in health/armor or needs to hold damage.  Shield recharge but the red damage stays like with enemies.

Patrol needs a little something.  I know people who love it but, it feels like it needs a little something for me.  I feel in there own way the mission areas are a little small.  I hope that its just a matter of more area's of the earth are just higher level.

Overall, I think its pretty solid demo.  I do hope there are more PvP modes in the final product.  They do have a month to tweak.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »
I tried all 3 classes, but only got to the level cap with a Warlock.  I didn't have issue making progression with any of them, but the Warlock definitely felt the strongest.  To add to your point, Ceric, if this were an MMO, the Titan should be the "tank" class that is able to handle the most damage and pull aggro, but this would essentially make him useless in a PvP role.  That said, extra armor means more in PvE, where I often found myself dying off quickly as a warlock when my Titan teammate could absorb much more damage.  I did find a lot of success using his special move though, moreso than the warlock even.

Given they have the option to upgrade your ship, I wish there would be some space exploration/battle levels.  If there aren't (i'm assuming there aren't), then it's paying currency for something that's purely cosmetic, which is disappointing.

I had a lot of fun with the beta, but my only concern is that the PvE levels seem repetitive so far.  Maybe there's just a limit to what you can do with a FPS game in terms of variety, but all the levels seemed to be "go inside, kill enemies through some cooridors" and either "fight the big nasty boss", or "defend this thing that the ghost is analyzing".  Repetitiveness aside, playing with others is what will really make this game a great experience above all else, so I'll need to make sure I have people to play with through the game if I want the best experience.  Still trying to get feedback from a few friends I played the beta with on if they intend to get the game at launch.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
It is fun to play the game with someone.  Especially if you can talk with them.  The problem with that is they break the chain.  I've made friends in Monster Hunter because of Monster Hunter.  Destiny I'll have to make friends through Friends of a Friend much like Diablo III.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »
It is fun to play the game with someone.  Especially if you can talk with them.  The problem with that is they break the chain.  I've made friends in Monster Hunter because of Monster Hunter.  Destiny I'll have to make friends through Friends of a Friend much like Diablo III.

I didn't check, but was there no "looking for group" queue you could put yourself in to join a firesquad in?  If not, that's a pretty bad omission to have for a game that relies so heavily on the group experience to get the most out of it.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 04:04:39 PM »

I didn't check, but was there no "looking for group" queue you could put yourself in to join a firesquad in?  If not, that's a pretty bad omission to have for a game that relies so heavily on the group experience to get the most out of it.
If you jump into a Skirmish it automatically does that for you.  Its pretty seamless.  Unfortunately its not very intuitive to like a group and want to do something else with them since there is not communication.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
Destiny is Out in the wild people.  The Servers have been turned on already.  The problem is that the only way to get onto said server is if you have a physical version.  Sony and Microsoft are holding true to the Digital Release Date and Bungie has said that its between you and your retailer about getting the physical version.

It boils down to if find a way to get Destiny playing on your system Bungie is not going to stop you from connecting to the servers.

Also Sony is releasing a Companion App just for there Gold line of Headphones that is suppose to have Enhanced Sound for Destiny.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
I went ahead and stopped at my gamestop's midnight launch to swoop in and bring home my copy of the game, so all the updates could get started and I can dive right in after getting off work, exercising and putting the kids to bed.  There was a pretty even mix of xbox and playstation owners there.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
I had it preordered on PSN so it was downloaded and ready to go, but I also had NHL 15 that way, which also came out last night, and I've been spending my time with that so far.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
I had it preordered on PSN so it was downloaded and ready to go, but I also had NHL 15 that way, which also came out last night, and I've been spending my time with that so far.

I haven't played an NHL game since maybe 98' on the Genesis.  I've always been curious to check a more recent one out, but get the feeling that if it's anything like Madden, I'll be overwhelmed with options that I'll never use effectively.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
So Yesterday Destiny.

First off the biggest thing I found out on my own was you just have to get a Character to level 5 to open Crucible.  Than any character can do it.  That means for my Pure PvP leveling toon, a Hunter, she started at Level 3 or so.  A lot more XP from PvP and I've played all the initial opened modes.  Its pretty much 3 Deathmatch style and Control.  I like Control more gets people moving better.  I'm hoping they didn't cut Salvage because I really want to try that mode.

On my PvE Toon, got all the way through all the Beta content, including the moon, to the second part of the moon.  I've died about 5 times mostly for cheap reasons.  I have to say that I'm a little worried about the balancing Level wise.  I didn't do the Devil's lair yet so that might be why I'm off but I feel like I'm clearing content and moving on a little behind the recommended level. Take the Moon, I even goofed off some and wasn't Level 7 by the time I cleared to the Level 7 Content of the Moon.  That has me concerned about the later part.

On my PvP toon I got an Excellent Scout Rifle for my PvE toon.  So I go to the Vault to store it and it won't let me store anything.  I think the Vault is broken.  I'm my PvP toon I don't seem to be getting Crucible Marks.  I should be but, I don't think I am.  I had a match where Bungie gave everyone on my Team 2 Items except me.

Another thing to note if you have the Digital Guardian edition on PS4 you have to go to the Add-on area in the PS4 menu to get your bonus stuff.  That wasn't made clear initially.

Played a little with @ETDragon and a friend of here.  That went ok.  Though I don't think I made a lifetime buddy.  Saw Dr.Metts and Lindy on.  Thought about jumping over to there game and seeing if they wanted to play but decided not too.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
My Destiny LE arrived today, but I won't have a chance to play it until later tonight. Looking forward to playing through the game for real this time with my green-haired female Hunter.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 09:44:58 AM »
So Last night, after realizing Devil Lair was Level 8, I went and did a mission on the Moon to find a Sword.  I also did a mission to disconnect a communication relay for all intents and purposes.  I have to say that the moon gets downright creepy eventually.  Wielding the sword is also cool but, it stops you from being able to use your guns so that was annoying.

I don't think Bungie has the server populating scheme correct yet.  Take the moon last night, I had a public event pop and there was only me and 1 other guy.  Which happen to be the only other person I have seen on my last 3 Moon missions.  We go to take it on.  He's a level 10 and I'm a level 7 and between us neither one of us could make a dent in the shields of the level 8 Public Event Wizard.  That is ridiculous.  They needed take a page from Rift and how they implemented there Public Events.  Let them scale to the number of people.  I also like to mention since I started playing that was the first public event I had even available.  That's pathetic to think they must have had it turned up in the Alpha and Beta.

On my PvP toon I have gotten to level 7.  Had a really good game this morning.  Highest score I've made yet and still didn't get to a 1.0 KD Ratio.  I just stink at PvP.  As Level 7 I should be able to get Bounties but that is broken if you just PvP level a toon.  Which really stinks because that is a big source of Rep.  Winning matches does not give you barely any rep with the PvP Factions and the 1.01 Patch (Day one Patch) Made it so that you don't gain Crucible Marks till Level 18 which is a crock. 

So lets review, if you PvP level a toon then not only do you get access to a pitiful dribble of gear.  You probably won't be better off in PvP then someone who just jumps in at Level 18.  Though it is a good source of Glimmer from what I can tell.  I've been over 2000 for  while.  There needs to be a bit of tweaking.  I know they want you to go through the story but, still needs some tweaking.  At least they seem to have gotten rid of the Moon one.

Looking forward to tonight.  I got to the point where I'm at the Big Mission for the moon.  I opted to do a littler mission last night because it was late and it promised me a Primary Weapon upgrade, which in fairness it did give but it was just White :( .  This one heavily hints that it will cause something to happen with The Traveler.

Also according to Geek.com, Destiny made $500 Million its first Day,  which would cover the WHOLE cost of Destiny.  That's everything according to other articles I found on the cost. 

Say what you will about Destiny but, as Lindy said on Twitter, this has been a smooth launch.  PSN and Live have been Solid.  Destiny itself has only bumped me to Space twice and both of those from the tower.  Supply of the game itself hasn't been constrained.  I have not seen any noticeable lag.  The closest I've seen is when parting and someone does a quick move and your going a different way you might see them disappear into Blue like the ghost then reappear a little farther.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:00:17 AM by Ceric »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »
It really is impressive that such a massive launch went that smoothly. Maybe it shouldn't be, and this is what should be expected as the norm, but historically this isn't the way it's been usually.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
It really is impressive that such a massive launch went that smoothly. Maybe it shouldn't be, and this is what should be expected as the norm, but historically this isn't the way it's been usually.
I've been part of a lot of MMO launches, closest equivalent, from some of the top companies that do this type of thing and it has never been that smooth.  Poor Wildstar seems to still be having problems.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 06:49:34 PM »
I agree with most of the criticisms I've read of Destiny, I can for instance see it eventually becoming repetitive, but I'm still finding the combat and upgrade loop to be really satisfying. Also, it doesn't hurt that it sounds, looks and controls great.

I'm currently only level 7, so I'm still playing through the stuff I already saw in the Beta, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else the game has to show.

If you're looking to fill out your Fire team my PSN name is 'MartySmyth'.
Gouge away.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
I'd be happy to play with anyone here if they are also looking for someone to fill-ou their fireteam, psn ID below.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 03:15:43 AM »
I've put a few evenings into the game on PS4 and...honestly, this game's kind of boring and severely underwhelming considering the money and hype put into it.  The Destiny universe is interesting and I want to explore it, but there's just nothing there. The environments are huge and beautiful, but also ridiculously empty.  It feels like I'm spending hours wandering through empty corridors, occasionally shooting at enemies. Bungie didn't think the Call of Duty crowd would be intelligent enough to read lore (and they're probably right), so every scrap of lore was banished to their website.  And thanks to the stupid online requirement, I can't play the game at all anytime my family's using the kitchen microwave.

My biggest problem, though, is that so far (I'm a Level 9 Hunter, and I just completed the World' Grave mission on the moon) every...single...mission in this game is exactly the same: wander through this same area you've crossed 5 billion times to this one spot, shoot some guys, find the thing to latch your Ghost onto, and then fight off waves of enemies till mission completion. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. There's absolutely no NPC interaction and barely even an attempt at storytelling so far.  The gunplay's great,  but that's all there is to this game. Even Call of Duty games have better storytelling than this game, and that's saying something.  Hell, when frickin' Borderlands looks like a Final Fantasy game by comparison to your game, you done ****ed-up.  :P: :

Maybe I'll like the game better once I play some multi, but right now the game's just looking like it should have a sticker on the box saying "Warning: a huge backlog of podcasts required to enjoy this game."  I do enjoy the Public Events; the music is fantastic; and the game is gorgeous...but I just wish all that was in service of a better game.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:17:27 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2014, 09:54:54 AM »
So last night I was doing the Last Big Moon mission.  My Son then wanted to play a game so, I was like alright let me find a place to park my toon where no enemy spawn and we'll do that.  Destiny wouldn't let me.  It decided to Spawn enemies if I sat anywhere to long.   Traditionally that is how you handle these types of things in MMOs.  I tried to rush through the rest of the mission just to get cheap shotted by a Thrall after taken out all the big nasties.  Back to start the whole end sequence again.   At that point I was just frustrated and had other things to do so I killed Destiny.  When I jumped back in I had all my Loot and levels plus when I went back it didn't have me restart the mission but put me at the checkpoint before the sequence.  I cleared it and unlocked Venus.

Played some more PvP.  I'm hoping to unlock Salvage soon.  I would really love to be able to do Bounties on my PvP toon but Bungie has deemed that to not be allowable even though there now Level 7.

This morning I decided I do the Venus Mission to see how the story continued.  I noticed someone who was also doing the mission and went to join them as a fireteam.  I didn't realize it but it forces you to become friends.  Which is silly.  Bungie needs to take a page from SWTOR, WoW, almost any other MMO.   I should be able to invite people to at least a fireteam that is the length of the mission w/out being friends.  Also Cutscenes should be handled like SWTOR when your in a team then all the members should be in it.

I also did Devil's Lair for the first time since the Beta.  I'm glad they toned down the health of the Spider-tank some.  Still think that fight is too long.  They need to make these fights a little more dynamic and they might in the Next Skirmish that I haven't played.

Something to note about story the last moon mission your sent there by the Speaker urgently and when you complete it the speaker doesn't want to speak to you.  Its sort of disconnect there storywise.

Venus introduces some new Enemies with a different weak point so Yay for variety sort of.

I do agree, you should be able to access all the Grimoires from within the game.  You shouldn't have to go to Bungie.net to read them.  More lore to find be nice.  I think Destiny's big problem though gameplay wise is that there is only so much you can do with this Genre.  They need to add more puzzle elements to the game.  Much like some games have hacking.  Maybe enemies you need to shoot with sequences.  By this point I would expect more to start being asked of the player.

For reference This should lead to the Profile of my Titan and Hunter.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 03:55:16 PM »
I'm a level 10 warlock and i'm halfway through the moon portion.

I find it a bit funny that Bungie left microsoft since they were a Halo only studio, only to commit themselves to Destiny for ten years.

So far i'm loving the game but find myself disapointed that Bungie didn't decide to just make the game a full MMO. Playing my first even with more than the alloted three players has been the best experience so far.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Your on XBone aren't you Shingi?

I can share the sentiments.  There is a good base there to build an MMO type experience but, they just didn't take it that extra mile.  I'm curious if something just opens up a lot when you reach 20.