Author Topic: The Wii Shop Channel Is Dead. Time to get your Wads out.  (Read 7659 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: The Wii Shop Channel Is Dead. Time to get your Wads out.
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »
While I liked Toki Tori more than ejamer, I still agree with him that Toki Tori 2 is better and probably more unique. That said, the original is still worth playing and a really good puzzle game in my opinion, one that you can just relax with and focus on how to clear a level without having to worry about action or being fast most of the time.

I would not recommend getting the WiiWare version for a variety of reasons, mainly that it costs a lot more than later releases. But, the releases after the WiiWare one offer a very important feature: rewind. This helps cut down on the trial and error aspect that ejamer mentioned, as it allows you to freely experiment with your options without having to start the entire level over each time.

I'd say it's definitely one of the best games you could grab at the $2 or less price point. Between Wii U, 3DS, and Switch, just go with your preferred platform. There's no reason to get the GBC version unless you dig that retro charm, but it also has less levels.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »
Thanks for keeping this thread alive.  I have $20 in credit sitting there that I really need to burn through.  Need to figure out whether to get something I've never tried before (toying with the idea of getting my life as a king, given that it's not out anywhere else), or picking a few things i'm most likely to play if i'd bother booting the wii up.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2019, 06:00:18 PM »
Reminder that the Shop Channel ends tomorrow and not the 31st.

In the end, I only downloaded Fluidity. It intrigued me the most and seemed to get the most praise by users here. ejamer's list of Lost Winds and Yet It Moves where titles that I had narrowed down for possible selection as well but ultimately passed. Muscle March actually got a "grumble grumble" from Nintendo Power so as much as I liked the premise, I passed on that. I did some checking on the other Nintendo offerings like Rock n Roll Climber or You, Me, and the Cubes but I didn't feel like I was going to miss out on anything but skipping them if it turns out they never do get re-released in any format. The other hardest cut was the Art Style games because they are made by skip and I like Skip's odd offerings with the Chibi-Robo series being their best. In the end, I just mainly loaded up on a whole lot more Rock Band DLC songs for Rock Band 3. I felt I would have more enjoyment from that compared to these other choices but that's just me.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
I believe it's around 4 hours left before it dies completely.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2019, 08:02:42 PM »
RIP. Was a great experience buying games right from my couch on a console for the first time. 
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
... In the end, I only downloaded Fluidity. ... but I didn't feel like I was going to miss out on anything but skipping them if it turns out they never do get re-released in any format. ... I just mainly loaded up on a whole lot more Rock Band DLC songs for Rock Band 3. ...

Those seem like reasonable choices. I remember dumping a bunch of money into Beatles Rock Band DLC back in the day when trying to clean out my account (which reminds me, we should really play that game more often).

WiiWare didn't have a lot of break-out hits aside from World of Goo. There were a handful of very good choices, including some games that haven't really made the leap elsewhere, but very few that were in that "must play" category. (The Art Style games fall into that category for me; attractive and fully enjoyable, but not games that demanded attention so they were often forgotten.)

Let us know what you think of Fluidity!

Is it 4 hours left for Netflix? I was getting a message that the service was already unavailable when trying to watch a show earlier this evening.

Now that Netflix is shut down for Wii users, my nand memory has been restored to a pre-Wii U transfer state. That's not a horrible trade as it pushes a whole bunch of fun Virtual Console and WiiWare games onto the system that haven't been conveniently accessible after doing a Wii->WiiU transfer. That transfer was a bad idea; somehow I always expected them to find a way to create tiles on the Wii U menu that would launch into those games directly instead of hiding them in a second menu, but it never happened.

I'll miss watching Netflix on the Wii though - that app was better designed and more responsive than the either of the apps available through our Wii U or cable box. Oh well, c'est la vie!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:21:32 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 10:12:13 PM »
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »
The Wii U missed out on Netflix's modern interface that pretty much every device that's capable of handling it got (likely because it wasn't worth adding in gamepad support for it, it's certainly powerful enough for it, I mean the PS3 got it.)

But yeah, PS3 lost HBO which is a real shame. The PS3 is basically the only device capable of directly competing with a Home theater PC in terms of capabilities and around 5 years from now that will no longer be the case.

The thing with the Wii U is that holding B on a Wii remote when you turn on the console causes it to boot straight into Wii Mode. I really wish there was a setting to make it so that turning the system on with a Wii remote made it go into Wii mode but overall between that and the quick start menu it's not too much of a hassle and the ability to display on the gamepad is really nice.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:41:13 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:47 AM »
I celebrated the closing of the Virtual Console by finally beating Ninja Gaiden for NES on Switch online.  Ninja Gaiden was one of many games I bought on the Virtual Console that I always wanted to play but never had a chance to play.  Well I finally got a chance thanks to the Virtual Console.  Of course I played it during the dark time in college when I was getting less then 5 hours of sleep each night so I really sucked at it because my reflexes where terrible at the time.

So years later I went back and beat most of the other games I bought on the Virtual Console but couldn't beat at that time but I had never went back to Ninja Gaiden.  Well since my Wii is at my parents house but the Switch online recently added the game in December I thought this is the perfect time to do it.  And after 5 hours of rage and tears, I did it last night before the Virtual Console was shut down.  And this time since I wasn't on the verge of narcolepsy I beat it, and you know what, I really enjoyed it too.  Wish I would have done this years earlier since I would have bought 2 and 3 on the Virtual Console as well.  Too late now but at least those two should hit the Virtual Console in the next year, hopefully.

Anyway, stories like this are why I loved the Virtual Console so much.  As a kid I loved reading all the different videogame magazines when I went to a store and seeing all the different games available.  That was basically the internet in the early 90's to me and if a magazine was filled with games I thought looked cool I'd beg my mom to buy it.  I'd then read over the entire contents of that magazine for weeks straight.  So many games I wanted to play, but as a kid I'd get one game for my birthday, maybe two for Christmas and with my allowance maybe save up enough for 1-2 during the rest of the year.  Of course being a kid, I'd sometime choose a terrible license based game because it was based on something I liked instead of picking what years later I realize would have been the better game instead.

So thank you Virtual Console for letting me live the childhood I never had by being able to finally experience many of the NES, SNES, Genesis and Turbografix games I would spend hours drooling over.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai