Author Topic: Shadow of the Eternals and Eternal Darkness sequels thread  (Read 31436 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow of the Eternals and Eternal Darkness sequels thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
they now  have a kickstarter version of the campaign, asking for less money and a longer time period.
Is the $1.35 million just minus what they have collected through their own crowd funding on their website?

Anyway, I would feel safer contributing to this project trough Kickstarter, but I'm far more likely to just wait to see if they actually finish the entire game.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:22:42 PM by Adrock »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
Gameplay demo - this game looks like a mix between Assassin's Creed and [any game that never got finished goes here].
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Ain't gonna happen unless you give Dyack all yer money and even then it still won't happen and then Dyack will sue you.
Yeah, this game is never coming out.
Yeah, it's never being made or coming out.
Gameplay demo - this game looks like a mix between Assassin's Creed and [any game that never got finished goes here].
I may be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that Brandogg doesn't think Shadow of the Eternals is coming out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 01:27:55 AM »
It's an understandable opinion.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »
They just opened a Kickstarter campaign, bringing even more legitimacy to the project.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 04:21:56 AM »
Well, I just put $25 in. The kickstarter version of course.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »
It's an understandable opinion.
I didn't say it wasn't. In fact, it's an opinion I share. I just thought it was funny (albeit excessive) that he brought it up four times in the same thread.

With a Kickstarter, there's a greater chance of Precursor Games meeting their goal though I wonder how many people are aware that they're only contributing to the first of many episodes.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
I do realize that I keep saying the game isn't coming out. I would like for the game to come out though, but it sucks that they have such a bad reputation that they have to use Kickstarter to get their game funded.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
I just thought it was funny (albeit excessive) that he brought it up four times in the same thread.

Subtlety is something Brandogg would never be accused of.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
I would like for the game to come out though, but it sucks that they have such a bad reputation that they have to use Kickstarter to get their game funded.
I don't know if that's entirely fair. A lot of people whose reputations haven't been dragged through the mud turn to Kickstarter. And really, only Denis Dyack's reputation has taken a hit and he's not even running the company. No one knows who the hell the other guys at Precursor Games are. That Kotaku article was damaging, but it's still hearsay. I'm not apologizing for Silicon Knights or Denis Dyack. There's no excuse for submitting such a **** product like X-Men Destiny. The pieces fit though we've only heard one side of the story. What does X-Men Destiny's turbulent development say about the people who commented on that article? If levels were barely playable for most of development, they weren't doing their jobs either so it goes both ways. Games development is a collective effort. It's easy to pass the buck on those whose faces and names are out there while hiding behind the veil of anonymity.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »
So you're suggesting it might be a coincidence that every project Dyack's been involved with in the last decade has turned out to be a mess after going through development hell?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »
No. Not at all. I have previously mentioned that delays of Dyack's other projects were reason to be skeptical that Shadow of Eternals would not meet its Q3 2014 release though that doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm pointing out that Precursor Games is an entirely new entity, one in which Dyack is apparently only involved in the development side which makes this the first project where he isn't also running a company. If we are to be believe that Kotaku article and blame Dyack's inability to correctly run a business for Silicon Knight's failings, it follows that a company that he isn't in charge of should fair differently unless, of course, Precursor Game's CEO, Paul Caporocci, makes literally all the same mistakes Dyack made at Silicon Knights.

Many of us here like one game Dyack has helmed so I think we can at least begrudgingly agree that he's not a total **** up when he's involved in a project he cares about (as in not X-Men Destiny). Shadow of the Eternals being such a project as well as one he now can devote his attention entirely to, I don't think it's a stretch that the game would have a better chance of not running into the same issues as Silicon Knight's titles.

Even then, and as I also previously mentioned, I think Dyack not having someone like Miyamoto overseeing his progress and telling him something sucks could be a problem. He's relying on the crowd funding people to do that which isn't the same. There's reason to be skeptical of Shadow of the Eternals which I admittedly am, but not necessarily for the same reasons Silicon Knight's games deserved skepticism.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »
Dyack, as you alluded to, only works when he has someone who can effectively say "No" to him. Nintendo got results from him because they kept him on a tight leash. Even if he's not technically in charge of the business, I seriously doubt that whoever is will be capable of reining him in.

EDIT: The one thing that might save this is that, for Dennis Dyack, proving that he's capable of doing this is of equal importance to actually making the game itself. It might be a big enough motivator to keep him in line if he truly understands why he's failed in the past and he understands that his future in the games industry is at stake. If he pulls this off, publishers will be knocking at his door with offers, and if he doesn't that's pretty much it for his career. It depends on how well his head's screwed on how he'll respond to that.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:57:37 AM by NWR_insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Maybe, maybe not. Considering someone else writes his checks now, he might not have a choice.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »
One of the thigns that went wrong with Silicon Knights was the constant fluctuating ballooning popping teams. When the company was a small group of people they made good games. Personally I think nowadays with the tools that are available I could make a game like Eternal Darkness with about 3 other people in about two years. I would have to spend all my time dedicated to it, and it would be madness. I would do that now, but obviously I would need someone funding me.

Even as a fan of their work I was still hesitant to jump in given their reputation. But kickstarter is a far safer thing. Also its much less annoying than paypal, and I just set up my amazon account last week for different reasons anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:08:52 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:29 PM »
The one thing that might save this is that, for Dennis Dyack, proving that he's capable of doing this is of equal importance to actually making the game itself. It might be a big enough motivator to keep him in line if he truly understands why he's failed in the past and he understands that his future in the games industry is at stake. If he pulls this off, publishers will be knocking at his door with offers, and if he doesn't that's pretty much it for his career. It depends on how well his head's screwed on how he'll respond to that.

How many people do you know are self-aware enough to understand why they have failed in the past?  SK sued Epic claiming that they had sabotaged the engine on purpose.  That's some pretty nutty **** and doesn't sound like the actions of someone who would think to themselves "well I really fucked up here and should do things differently next time."  The whole thing seems more like the actions of someone who always finds someone or something else to blame for failings.  "SK didn't fail.  It was Epic SABOTAGING US!!!"

So from that Dennis is going to realize the real reason why everything since the split from Nintendo has been a complete disaster and will shape up?  I don't expect that sort of thing from most people who don't have a bad track record just because it's human nature to assume we're all a lot better than we really are.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2013, 02:31:55 PM »
From what it seems is the company is ran by someone who was laid off at SK. Which means Dyack doesn't have the reigns on this one. It seems the vibe of the new company is much more humble.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
TL;DL

Still don't have any faith that the game is coming out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:42 AM »
It's a nice video; you should watch all of it.

It is admirable, respectable, and right of him to speak about the allegations on-camera, especially since the article has been so pervasive. Having watched the video, I more believe that he and the developer should get this chance.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
Shadow of the Eternals is up on Steam's project greenlight:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=146636877

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 12:43:51 AM »
Also, Dyack apparently did a Let's Play of Eternal Darkness with an interviewer on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwxp1C5yZEPBxS3XUj23F-tR0hDiHZVJJ

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 01:20:40 AM »
Also, Dyack apparently did a Let's Play of Eternal Darkness with an interviewer on Youtube
Nintendo is getting all moneys from this Let's Play

just getting this out of the way, you know this is inevitable

i got the game last year and haven't put it in since
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »
"Precursor Games is an entirely new entity"

LOL, that's rich.  Think they are all "ex" Silicon Knights employees, the CEO, CCO (Dyack), tech director, lore master, ect.  A new logo and a name change doesn't skipped the fact that these guys are the same ones that put out Too Human and Xmen destiny (even though they all deny it).