Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 615018 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1850 on: November 19, 2011, 10:32:39 AM »
This video is great. I believe it's gamespots video review for roughly half a minute talking about how bad the controls are. Then this guy is playing as perfect as possible. I say just listen, don't look at the video until the man stops talking. It's pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uqOQ7LXfYjg#t=26s

Here is the link at 26 seconds. Just watch from there, no spoilers at all but a lizalfo. The beginning bad mouths the controls while this guy basically shuts him up.
I like how that Video is done with it clean cut out of the guy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1851 on: November 19, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Maybe the controls are perfect and some people just suck at videogames.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 19, 2011, 12:41:48 PM »
Time for my first progress report. I've roughly 7 hours in, currently at the entrance to the second dungeon. I would have played more if not for prior commitments. Gotta say, I'm pretty damn elated so far.

I'll try not to retread the impressions that Nbz gave yesterday, although I must give my take on the big talking point: the Motion Plus combat. I think it is truly excellent, because it really is, as sword fighting should be, about outsmarting the enemy. One of the core fundamental I learned quickly is that the blocking stances taken by your foes aren't random; rather, they track the point of your sword as you move it around and move their weapons accordingly. To begin with, I was having trouble outmanoeuvring the series staple Bokoblins, until I realised that the trick is to confuse them. Basically, you goad them into blocking a certain way, then reposition before they can react to it. It's great because there are no lazy combat encounters. If you think you can swing willy-nilly, even the regular enemies will make you pay. I will also echo Nbz's thoughts about the first boss battles, which very much epitomises what I've been talking about. Lord Ghirahim pushed me down the wire -- it seriously gets the adrenaline pumping.

I've also enjoyed other aspects of the motion control, but I will leave comment about that for when I've acquired more items.

Now for some aspects of the game that have been discussed much less, some stuff that surprised me. Link has a few new mobility enhancements in Skyward Sword. Firstly, he can move around in first person! It's only really used for a mechanic that I won't delve into right now, but still, I didn't expect that at all. Secondly, he seems to have taken a page from certain modern action games, in that there's a fair amount of solo climbing. You may have heard that Link has a stamina bar for running, lifting, spin attacking and such, but what you might not know is that running against a vertical surface will have Link scale it and can leap around on ledges, like Nathan Drake or Ezio. I find it satisfying just to move around in this game.

Lastly for today's impressions, I'd like to speak about the structure of the game. It is perhaps a bit soon to discuss this so early on (again, I'm only at the second temple). At the moment, the structure appears to be somewhat unusual for a Zelda title. Essentially, Skyloft, your home island in the clouds, is kind of like a hub world, and via gaps in the cloud, you descend to different regions of Hyrule. You can travel between land and sky very easily, and I can confirm that there are other, smaller sky islands to discover on your Loftwing, which is cool. As for Skyloft itself, the place is more or less side-quest central, and it looks like there is some Majora's Mask stuff going on, in that helping people solve their problems earns you Gratitude Crystals, which go towards a meta side-quest. The things I've sampled so far have been decent breaks.

However, the real stand-out is how utterly fantastic the construction of the world design is. The two locations I've been through thus far, Faron Woods and Eldin Volcano, are laid out in a looping, overlapping manner. To put it another way, the routes you take are intertwined, and shortcuts to previous areas can be made, so it never takes too long to get anywhere and backtracking is painless. Moreover, these areas are more like obstacle courses - they aren't as puzzle-focused as dungeons, but there's very little flat, empty space to cover. And on a minor note, I've already encountered two brand new species of friendly characters, one of which is a hybrid between a kiwi bird and a plant...!

I hope this has given some context for the sceptics out there. I personally think you should buy Skyward Sword. In my opinion, it is the bee's knees.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 19, 2011, 01:21:11 PM »
Anyone else getting it tonight at the midnight release?  Had to reconnect my WIi just to find out I'm going need another Component cable since tha Madcatz one is dead (Again).

After sales tax & coupons given I'm paying $34.  Highest I paid for a game all year ;0.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 19, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
Maybe the controls are perfect and some people just suck at videogames.

Saw a lot of this at E3. Which is laughable considering how many health potions they give you in the demo.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #1855 on: November 20, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
Another negative Skyward Sword review. Perhaps, the most negative yet.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1856 on: November 20, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
I wouldn't really call that a review.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1857 on: November 20, 2011, 05:15:14 PM »
lol, venturebeat
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 20, 2011, 06:29:17 PM »
Zelda is kind of a nag and a tattle tale so far. I DONT WANT TO PRACTICE WOMAN GET OFF MY BACK

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 20, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
Sadly, I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up my copy.  I was tied up with work today, and by the time I managed to get out my GS was closed.  Oh well.  At least I found the track list for the CD today, and it seems to be a pretty decent selection (though I have my doubts that it's the full concert with only 8 songs).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 20, 2011, 08:00:38 PM »

I wouldn't really call that a review.

No, having read all 4 pages of it, it's definitely a review...just a really badly-written one.  The guy seriously needs an editor and a lesson in professional writing, as he's prone to tangents; rants; and insults at the reader.  He can't seem to make up his mind if he's writing a Skyward Sword review or a rant about how much worse the Wii has made gaming.  The things that he criticizes I've seen criticized in other reviews, but the way that he does it is really unprofessional.  He had an anti-Wii agenda going into the review, and it's very obviously manifest therein.

It's a review, but it's one that reads like a blog entry and is very poorly-written.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
Should the day ever come where Nintendo is taken seriously by all gamers, none of these websites will be. They will hopefully have lost too much credibility for anyone to pay them any attention. Of course, that implies that they had credibility to begin with...

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #1862 on: November 20, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
The guy seriously needs an editor and a lesson in professional writing, as he's prone to tangents; rants; and insults at the reader.  He can't seem to make up his mind if he's writing a Skyward Sword review or a rant about how much worse the Wii has made gaming.
That's why I wouldn't call it a review.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
I would like to think we also don't treat any of our readers as badly as VB is in the comments in that review. I know I've wanted to virtually slap NinSage before, but there's nothing but love for all of you guys. We wouldn't be here without you.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 20, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »
I loved TP when it first came out, now I don't love it quite so much. Maybe my opinion of this will change someday too. But the music and the atmosphere do it for me so much! Happy jolly tunes, epic pieces, and a few emo dungeon like tunes. TP had NOTHING but emo tunes an over world theme and a main theme, could not stand it! The grass is so green and the sky is so blue! My biggest complaints about TP have been fixed. I love sunshine and lollipops.

The character designs are so cool as well! These guys will never be forgotten! They have so much personality and color!

I played 5 hours straight, maybe 6 and made it to the door step of the second dungeon. My sword swinging accuracy is 100%, everything I wanted to do Link did. I had trouble bowling bombs though since I was lying down and it was hard to aim down before the bowl.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: November 20, 2011, 11:30:04 PM »
I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that bought this game as a xmas present, but understood the importance of not waiting til xmas to give me the present :)

Only was able to plug maybe an hour and a half into the game today due to family obligations.  I read a review somewhere that states the game fails to truly pull you in for a few hours, and I find that to be half-true in the sense that the tutorial part of the game drags on longer than I'd prefer, although I understand why they would do this.  I think the dialogue is very well written and clever so far, which makes this part bearable. 

I should probably pay attention to the instructions a bit more, as my lack of attention caused me to take twice as long to complete some of the flying parts than it should have.  I mistakenly thought the way you gained speed also was the way you gained altitude, a la Super Mario World cape powerup, but didn't realize you are actually supposed to shake the wiimote separately to gain altitude.  This turned flying from an incredibly frustrating experience to something much more satisfying.

I can't wait to play more.

As a side note, the Wiimote Plus that comes with it is very slick, and I like the feel of the controller (has a more grainy feel than the regular ones).  The soundtrack sounds fantastic, but I would have preferred to have more tracks than what it has.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:38:33 AM by lolmonade »

Offline Tamazoid

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »

How is that a review? Most of it is him ranting on about TP/ how Skyrim is awesome/ How crap Nintendo is/ how the reviewer suffers from Homophobia/ How Zelda needs to adopt Prince of Persia jumping mechanics.

I find it amusing that he thinks that everyone that thinks his review is rubbish is 'trolling' him and that he believe he is the only honest reviewer out there as apparently all the others are blinded by Nintendo fan boyism, are being paid off by Nintendo or scared of the fan boys descending on them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:17:15 AM by Tamazoid »
Follow me on Twitter
Or join in at the castle

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 21, 2011, 01:49:36 AM »
I remember when Zelda games gave me a sword and shield within 10 minutes, sometimes less and let me start slicing and stabbing things. Those were the days. It took me over 2 hours to get out of Skyloft. At first, I was just putzing around. I was wandering and exploring and talking to everyone. Unfortunately, there's a lot of running back and forth to trigger certain events. I wasn't a fan of flying ceremony thing but I never liked flight games so there was nothing that segment could do to be interesting. Not as annoying as catching the fish in Twilight Princess but still lame.

The cutscenes are especially painful. They're long and boring. I'm in the voice acting camp but what's more annoying is how slow the texts appears. If I'm forced to read text, Nintendo could least let me do so at my own pace. I found myself repeatedly pressing A in vain, hoping the whole block text in the box would appear so I could just read it and move on. Text is especially annoying when Robot Fi speaks. God, she's boring. I pined for sassy Midna.

The music is phenomenal. The graphics still manage to impress despite the Wii's dated hardware. I'd love to see Nintendo try this art style again on Wii U though I have a feeling they'll try something new.

How is Fi supposed to be pronounced? I've been saying it like "fee" instead of saying it as if rhyming with high.

I've barely scratched the surface of the game. The only thing that really sucks about the game is how long it takes to get going. The tutorial sections are so oppressive. They bog the game down. I wish more games were like Chrono Trigger where, in all non-essential conversations, you could literally walk away from someone when you weren't interested in what they had to say. Eventually, you'd walk away so far that they would stop talking or you couldn't hear them anymore. Either way, you just moved on. No such luck here. Everyone talks and very slowly. The first few hours are critical. I just haven't had the same drive to play games like I used to. If a game doesn't hook me right away, I'm liable to become so disinterested that I stop playing entirely. If this was anything but Zelda, I would have turned the game off and probably returned the game.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:51:36 AM by Adrock »

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:02 AM »
Anyone else having a hard time slicing the piranha plants?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 21, 2011, 07:14:03 AM »
More than in previous games but only because they're more aggressive and there's more emphasis on dodging rather than holding your shield up until it's safe. The older games babied players. Skyward Sword rethinks the entire battle system and is better for it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:16:27 AM by Adrock »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 21, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »
HOW DO I STINKING SWIM?

I'm 100% sure I'm suppose to hit a switch now underwater in the first dungeon AND I CAN'T DIVE.  Nintendo says to just point down and Link will be able to swim IT DOESN'T WORK.

This game is getting very frustrating.  Hey this is an amber I know you already collected 20 of these but I'm going to tell you about them again.  Hey use you shield oh by the way you can only us 4 TIMES before it will almost be broken if you don't get you active dodge right.  Hey beep Beep Beep.  Get OFF MY BACK.  Cut this spiderweb oh wait you missed 1 STRAND of web now your caught and have to split the wiimote and nunchuk apart.

STINK You FI.  STINK you ZELDA.  I mean if ZELDA can get through this DUNGEON unarmed then why can I with a potions, slingshot, sword and shield barely make it past the FIRST Skulltula.

I am so FRUSTRATED with this game at the moment.  I JUST WANT TO STINKING DIVE INTO THE WATER IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK.  AAARGGGGGGGG

*grumble* Finally found the thing under a bridge*grumble*
You know what else gets me is I go and repair my EQUIPPED SHEILD and it just unequips it.  Doesn't ask if I want it back or anything and I normally don't notice till I'm in the middle of the fight.  YOU HAVE TO STINKING TELL ME ABOUT MY COLLECTABLE BUT A SIMPLE "DO YOU WANT TO EQUIP YOUR SHIELD AGAIN?" AFTER REPAIR IS TOO MUCH?

There is no way in God's Green Earth this game would get a 10 from me.  Thats totally off the table now.  Its going to have to work hard to get a 9 at this point.

I feel so Limited all the time.  LIke the Skulltula.  Hey I could shoot the string they are hanging from with the slingshot.  Nope, the string is made out of steel.  You can't tell me that Link can muscle out of but my Slingshot can't shoot through it. Seriously.  I know the Beetle will do it.  Also hey you have to poke the purple part when you see it... What I can do a Vertical slash or my goddess slash to hit it and and do damage.  I'm fairly sure it would it is considering IT STICKS OUT from the body and isn't protected vertically.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:00:49 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 21, 2011, 07:54:58 AM »
I just wanted to echo what KillerManJaro and others have said about the motionplus combat.  It is really, really good.  After I played Red Steel 2, I got really worried for Zelda, because I already knew that it would feature Motionplus combat as well and I HATED Red Steel 2's sword combat.  I think in the hours before I popped it in, I kept chanting to myself "Don't be like Red Steel 2.  Don't be like Red Steel 2.  For the love of all that is sacred in the world, please don't be like Red Steel 2."

Obviously, it is not like Red Steel 2.   I can't quite put my finger on what is different about the swordplay.   I want to say that in Skyward Sword, it's actually fun.  But that doesn't really explain it.  It's been more than a year since I played Red Steel 2, and I stopped playing after a couple hours, but from what I remember, Red Steel 2 seemed to require stronger, more dramatic swings to be effective.   But I seem to think that the motions seemed really repetitive in Red Steel 2, and in Skyward so far, nothing feels repetitive.  It is just fun.  Each swing is enjoyable.  I can't quite articulate why.

[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 21, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
So far I enjoy Red Steel 2's sword play more.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1873 on: November 21, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »
Hey Ceric I kinda had the same issues but there is ways to go about it to make the first dungeon. I think most of us are just doing things the hard way when there is an easier way. I have already died 3 times in the dungeon and in retrospect they could have been avoided if I did a few things differently.The first 2 times were because I was doing things the hard way and the last time was near the end of the dungeon. You guys need to keep in mind to use all of your sword attacks. Some attacks are more effective on certain monsters. Anyway I am going to get back into the game right now.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
Hey Ceric I kinda had the same issues but there is ways to go about it to make the first dungeon. I think most of us are just doing things the hard way when there is an easier way. I have already died 3 times in the dungeon and in retrospect they could have been avoided if I did a few things differently.The first 2 times were because I was doing things the hard way and the last time was near the end of the dungeon. You guys need to keep in mind to use all of your sword attacks. Some attacks are more effective on certain monsters. Anyway I am going to get back into the game right now.
If its not a Skulltula or a Web I'm pretty good Getting rid of the enemies.  Its just those stupid Skulltula.  I've died 6 times 4 of those from the same Skulltula. The other 2 from other Skulltula...