Author Topic: Nintendo of America Comments on Nintendo Power's Closure  (Read 4950 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo of America Comments on Nintendo Power's Closure
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »

A company spokesperson confirmed a December 2012 end and no further publications.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/31402

Nintendo of America confirmed to us that Nintendo Power is ending, with its final issue being the December 2012 issue.

Nintendo's official statement read: "Nintendo can confirm that Future US will end the production of Nintendo Power magazine with the last issue slated for December 2012. For Nintendo Power subscription inquiries, please visit nintendopower.com/customerservice. Check out Nintendo at nintendo.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/nintendo or on Twitter @nintendoamerica."

A company spokesperson told Ars Technica, who broke the story yesterday, that "Nintendo Power magazine is closing and is not moving to a new publisher. We have nothing further to announce at this time."

Nintendo Power will reach 285 issues as of December 2012.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline DarthBrady

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Another Crappy Blog
Re: Nintendo of America Comments on Nintendo Power's Closure
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:07:48 PM »
It's another sad day to see another one disappear. I remember all the great times I had drooling over the awesomeness that was Nintendo Power on the school bus, at recess, at the mailbox, etc - every time I received a new issue. Before the internets, there was one thing back in the 80's and early 90's that showed the mark of a hardcore Nintendo gamer; That one thing was Nintendo Power.  Did you have the power? I sure did.

I understand there are may reasons this must happen, but it's still sad. Long Live the memories of Nintendo Power.  I leave this for all of you that want to reminisce - watch & enjoy:

James Rolfe's Nintendo Power AVGN Episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eegQI9WM6mk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:12:52 PM by DarthBrady »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
285 needs NSMBU on a cover made of clay.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
Now that it's coming to a close, I kind of wish I had stayed a subscriber. I've got over 200 issues, and it would be neat to have a complete set. Though, I can't lift my magazine tub as it is now...

Offline TurdFurgy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:19:04 PM »
I always meant to subscribe, but I never got around to it. See where procrastination gets you, people?
Now I'll live my life always wondering what could have been...
I do, however, have a few issues featuring Kid Green on the front cover. At least I have that.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 07:38:03 PM »
I always meant to subscribe, but I never got around to it. See where procrastination gets you, people?
Now I'll live my life always wondering what could have been...

Not only that, but your lack of subscription was the reason they closed.  They needed one more subscriber to bring the numbers in to stay open.

You have to live with the knowledge that YOU killed Nintendo Power.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
It's a shame, but seeing as how print media is slowly dying, I guess they felt it no longer had enough readers to support it. Not surprising, seeing as how Gamepro died last year and EGM is on the verge of a second death.

I enjoyed Nintendo Power, subscribed to it for years after first subscribing to get the Donkey Kong Country guide (I had read it in stores and nabbed  issues from a friend before then), but I dropped out of it after the move to Future. I still enjoyed thumbing through it in stores, picking up the occassional issue if it interested me. I might pick up the last couple of issues, if just for nostalgic reasons.

Speaking of nostalgia, get ready to see back issues of NP spike up on eBay in the next few weeks.

Offline Tennindo

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
I will Truly miss Nintendo Power.. I still have the old Poster of Metal Mario and it saying Nintendo Power! The Source. Plus tons of Mags from the 80' and 90's and early 2000's

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »
Reading over their comments, you would think NOA could confirm this in a nicer way.  Their logic is probably that they don't want to draw a lot of attention to it since it involves refunding of subscriptions and such.  This is a major part of Nintendo's history and I think some sort of tribute might have been nice.

No one is truly shocked by this.  Videogame magazines no longer have any real reason to exist anymore because of the internet.  The general feeling is that this too bad.  No one thinks that Nintendo are being huge jerks by cancelling Nintendo Power.  It's just the reality of the videogame industry in 2012.  This is sad but it isn't a horrible failure or obvious attempt to rip off customers that Nintendo should want to sweep under the rug and hope no one notices.

So on that note Nintendo could be a little less cold in their comments.  This is moment to look back at NP with fond memories.  Instead we just get "NP is done.  Good day." and that's that.  Maybe NOA will make more a big deal about this when the last issue has come out.  I'm seeing tributes to NP everywhere, even in non-videogame related news, but Nintendo only offers a blunt statement.  As is so often with Nintendo I feel like they're disconnected from the rest of the world.  Everyone is sharing fond memories of NP except Nintendo themselves.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:02 PM »
refunding of subscriptions and such.

LOL, not gonna happen. Usually when a magazine gets shut down, you either get your left over issues transferred to another magazine run by that company (when Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine went under, people got it changed into a subscription to Electronic Gaming Monthly) or get nothing at all (when EGM went down the first time, subscribers got shafted).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Nintendo Power's last issue will be the December 2012 issue, which will be mailed to subscribers in late November and sold on newsstands starting December 4.

If you are a subscriber and your subscription extends past the final December 2012 issue, you will receive a refund or credit card credit of the remaining value of your subscription. If you reside in the US or Canada, your refund will arrive within 4–6 weeks after the December 2012 issue; for customers outside the US and Canada, your refund will arrive 6–10 weeks after the December 2012 issue.

For more information, go to nintendopower.com/customerservice

Source: nintendopower.com
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
Good for Future plc, that is not what usually happens.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
I can understand why the magazine is shutting down because of the internet having made magazines obsolete. But what I don't understand is why the equivalent xbox and playstation magazines are continuing to be made. What the hell is up with that?
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
Because they licensed the name from Nintendo and couldn't reach a deal to continue the magazine (seems because Nintendo wouldn't let them do a digital version).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:41 PM »
Which is a crying shame, because I would have been all over that. I'd buy an iPad just to get digital Nintendo Power goodness in my hands. As a matter of fact, I sent quite a few emails to Nintendo Power asking them about going digital...

I guess they really were seeking it out. Stupid NoA. Stupid!
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
Why an iPad? Why not on the Wii U tablet controller? Then you can get your tips in a very convenient place while you play. This is how Nintendo should do it.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2012, 12:08:58 PM »
If NOA were smart, and they're not, they would sell digital copies of past NP issues and strategy guides through the eShop.  You're playing Super Metroid on the VC on the Wii U and you've got the official Nintendo Power Super Metroid strategy guide open on your Gamepad.  It's perfect!

Of course to compete with Gamefaqs these would have to cost like a buck.  Knowing Nintendo, if they did this they would overcharge.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
I grew up reading Nintendo Power and losing my mind over maps for games, especially The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario 2. though I never subscribed then I did about 6 years ago when I got the Wii and I joined the forums. Print wasn't doing so great then and the transition to Future showed that some effort to preserve that media form, but really with Nintendo doing online video events whenever they feel like it shows just how much they are interested in Print. Unfortunately I enjoy print media and I'm sad about it, but this opportunity will allow me to subscribe to other magazines I've been interested in. There's so much information about Nintendo and video games online it's difficult to compete with. I remember a few times when Nintendo Power had exclusive news about Wii and DS games or just Nintendo stuff in general before the news broke on the Internet. I guess those days are transitioning to this now. It would be cool if Nintendo would have gone digital, maybe something on the Wii U Tablet or 3DS- maps and articles, maybe even some videos. If they ever disguised the eShop to interact like a magazine and not so much like a web store I would buy everything.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:36 PM »
lol... this is Nintendo we're talkin' about here.  They're not exactly known for caring about internet petitions. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »
lol... this is Nintendo we're talkin' about here.  They're not exactly known for caring about internet petitions. :D

I agree, I don't see how anything except Nintendo's approval could reverse this situation. No Op. Rainfall is going to save this one.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics