Gaming Forums > Nintendo Gaming

Anyone had experience with a Backwards compatable PS3?

(1/2) > >>

pokepal148:
I just ordered one from Amazon and I'm wondering if anyone has advice for keeping the thing in working order and such to prevent ylod besides the obvious keep it in an open area type stuff.

Ceric:
I have one that has seen daily use of average 8+ hours a day since it was $600 (Not Launch but before the first revisions)

The key to longevity is externally cooling units.  I really love the one Pelican made but after about 7 years of service it died.  I couldn't find a replacement but if you can I recommend that one.  Gets a little loud when it gets old but its worth it since its temperature controlled so it will keep going after your PS3 is off if its still hot.

When my Pelican died I replaced it with 2 units. A front and back fan.  There quiter than the old Pelican, not a new one, but, they use the system for power so they turn off when the system turn off and are sort of ugly.  Though they seem to be getting the job done.

I would recommend one of the first things you do is replace the Harddrive as well.  I need to on mine, still have the 60gig, but, the process is more of a pain than a benefit for me at the moment with having to backup and redo everything.

pokepal148:
Oh, dear, apparently the TV I have is an inch too short to have the PS3 fat sitting underneath. Oh boy, I'm going to have to have it awkwardly facing to the side behind the TV won't I.

BranDonk Kong:
Here's the thing - there is nothing you can do to prevent the YLOD. It's either gonna happen or it's not - but the chance of it happening will always be there. A PS3 Super Slim and a PS2 slim is a much better choice (aside from needing an extra A/V cable), and don't forget *all* PS3 models play PSX games.

Also about cooling - if that has worked for Ceric, then that's good, but it's hit or miss, and in actuality rapidly cooling the system is one of the contributing factors to the YLOD (and RROD on XBox 360). It's the hot/cold cycle that causes the lead-free solder under the GPU to become brittle and crack, causing the YLOD.

pokepal148:

--- Quote from: Brandogg on November 14, 2014, 11:58:12 PM ---Here's the thing - there is nothing you can do to prevent the YLOD. It's either gonna happen or it's not - but the chance of it happening will always be there. A PS3 Super Slim and a PS2 slim is a much better choice (aside from needing an extra A/V cable), and don't forget *all* PS3 models play PSX games.

--- End quote ---
yeah, if it can't safely go in a cabinet and can't go under my TV then I can't see where the fat will fit in my life which is disappointing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version