NWR Interactive > NWR Feedback

dammit, Rick!

<< < (3/3)

ThePerm:
i liked canadiancanuck's old avatar....at first i htought it was wrinkled canadian flag(like theres wind blowing)...then i realised it was a pair of hooters with the canadian fla painted on it. Very nice hooters.
I would like to find soem chick willing to let me paint her red white and blue and make my own pic.

Bloodworth:
Thanks Perm, you just gave us another example of why we're not hot on bringing back avatars.

Kulock:
Someone can still be equivalently inappropriate in text, though, are sigs going to go next? :/

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck

The problem is, for the most part, these people are NO LONGER IN NINTENDO'S TARGET MARKET. And now they wonder why Nintendo is making all these bad decisions, and why Nintendo has "forsaken" them. Sorry, you grew up, and now Sony and Microsoft want your business. Honestly, all these angry teens can do is wait a few more years until they have families and are in Nintendo's target market again, or buy an Xbox/PS2. They're worrying because they feel this is something Nintendo has done to THEM, and your post was absolutely NOT going to change it.
--- End quote ---

Wow, you have, in one paragraph summed it all up.  
For a long time I have wondered what the hell happened to Nintendo. I now can see the light. Nintendo didnt change at all, I did.
Great post Rick.
--- End quote ---

The trouble is, the video game market grew up too. Nintendo didn't pursue their niche of business because of their feelings of "values" and their want to provide family entertainment, they did it because it was the most profitable at the time. Video game consoles being marketed as computers were not fairing well. Nintendo rethought the whole process, and marketed the Nintendo like a toy, the toy every kid had to have. Thus, back then they had to appeal to families to make it an acceptible toy for younger children. Sure, some of the company leads probably had it in their heads they were doing this service for family entertainment everywhere (including a certain someone who promised to retire a couple hundred times), but the fact of the matter is they pursued family entertainment because it was the most profitable area to pursue back then. Now, over 50% of people who actively purchase gaming products are adults. Not teens, not children, adults. It's not that there's not still a market for selling to children and family-safe products. But the greater market now is to appeal to older gamers as well. But Nintendo doesn't have to "grow up" (I certainly don't call some of the Microsoft-pushed efforts "grown up", anyway) all the way, just partially, to cater to both audiences. (And I personally think they already have started successfully.)

The bigger issue in my eyes is that they're still playing a less-active role in the console competition, often making slow or no statements or movements, sticking reserved with the basics, and so on. And even that's changing a little, with the Master Quest pack-in disc (including URA? That would've never happened a year or two ago) and the GBA SP ("Whoops, we messed up..."). They still have a ways to go, but I think they're off to a good start.

Edit: I apologize for replying in-depth, I didn't intend to at first, but it was in direct reply to canuck's comment and the "You're right!" reply after. I think the teens and the lot have a right to feel angsty when the company is losing a lot of potential profit they have no reason not to try to appeal to.

Bloodworth:
Considering that this thread no longer has any cohesive topic, I'm locking it up.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version