Author Topic: My Thoughts on the Tracks in Mario Kart  (Read 25807 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts on the Tracks in Mario Kart
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
I miss how powerful the Mushroom boost used to be. I swear, the boost becomes less & less noticeable with every new game. When combined with the bumpers you went soaring, sometimes off course completely in SMK

I feel like the green shells have been pretty ****ty since the N64 game. Back when it was much more possible to strategically aim them. Maybe thats just me.

Yeah, do you guys remember when you could actually fire a green/red shell behind you as well as in front of you?  I forget how it worked in Mario Kart Wii, but they suddenly switched to "planting" those shells as mines on the track rather than firing them straight behind you.  That always struck me as lame, because you'd have to be pretty dense to run over one of those things most of the time unless your opponent really did just time and place it that well.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 12:38:13 AM »
I miss how powerful the Mushroom boost used to be. I swear, the boost becomes less & less noticeable with every new game. When combined with the bumpers you went soaring, sometimes off course completely in SMK

I feel like the green shells have been pretty shitty since the N64 game. Back when it was much more possible to strategically aim them. Maybe thats just me.

I totally agree. They're more useful for red shell defense than anything else in Wii. Back on SNES not only I could actually hit them directly, in battle mode I could nail shots off the walls intentionally. In Wii I think I've hit myself with my own green shells more times than I've hit any other driver.
Mission...complete?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:14 AM »
I'm still waiting for a Mario Kart to include a worthy successor to Block Fort in their battle mode.  Hell, I'm still waiting for a decent post-MK64 battle mode altogether (MK Wii's arenas are way too big, plus you have to play in teams).  Back in Mario Kart 64, my friends and I would game for hours just in the Block Fort arena.  Well, that and the multi-leveled stage with the big inclines and the big hole in the middle leading down to the ground floor (which if I remember correctly was adapted into Luigi's Mansion in later MK games).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
(MK Wii's arenas are way too big, plus you have to play in teams). 

What?  How can you say that about the Wii courses then praise the 64 ones. The 64 courses were massive, and they were boring. I have said it time and time again, Mario Kart 64 was a horrible game that was a merely showcase for the 64's horsepower. It failed though, sure the course were big, but they were all just boring and empty stretches of track.

The battle mode just made this shortcoming even more obvious. It took a good half an hour to see another opponent in the battle.

Back in Mario Kart 64, my friends and I would game for hours just in the Block Fort arena.

So you only managed to finish three rounds then?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 01:45:55 PM »
I think the Wii battle courses are fairy good though a free for all option would have been nice.

Hmm I didn't think the N64 battle courses were all that bad but then again at the time I also had Diddy Kong Racing...
Mission...complete?

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 01:26:02 AM »
(MK Wii's arenas are way too big, plus you have to play in teams).
Multiplayer options say hi.

I faced off with my brother, one vs. one, a week or so ago.

Now, back on topic... before anymore derailing, the best Mario Kart tracks are in my opinion:

Tied: Mario Kart: Double Dash/Wii
2nd: Mario Kart DS

I couldn’t give two shits about the rest of the other MK games because, to me, they haven’t aged well a single bit. Mario Kart 64 was awesome… when I was ten, but after experiencing the greatness of Double Dash, I wouldn’t go back. And the battle grounds are too large? I thought they were a nice size, and playing chicken while throwing multiple Bom-Ombs is the greatest “HOLY **** NO” moment Nintendo has ever given me in a multiplayer game.

Second to Melee.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
You're having a go at Daisy Cruiser and Baby Theme Park?

FAR AND AWAY the most bizarre Mario Kart tracks with nothing to do with the games were produced from Super Circuit. I mean let's see. Cloud Garden? Ribbon Road? I'm naming these off my head here. I recall one track was set ina  land full of cheese.

What about Super Mario Brothers 3 with the sky world? And don't forget the cloud kingdom in Super Mario RPG. How's that for MK track references?

@True Blue
You mean you can turn teams off in Wii multiplayer? What about in the online arena?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
@True Blue
You mean you can turn teams off in Wii multiplayer? What about in the online arena?
You can't turn off the teams, I'm sure what True Blue meant is that you can disable the CPU opponents so that you can still have a 1-vs.-1.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2009, 02:58:47 PM »
Ah, I see. Still good to know. Than at least when I play with friends I can just play with them instead of pesky CPUs butting in.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 09:22:38 PM »
I'm seriously considering picking up a used copy of Double Dash because I remember it had a dinosaur level and...unless memory decieves me...looked better than MKWii.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
You are correct on both fronts Halbred. I'm still astonished at how bad Mario Kart Wii looks.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »
I enjoyed Double Dash, because the game felt like they brought the fun and item usage of battle mode to the full front in the races, probably because you held double the items.  I didn't enjoy switching back to one item at a time, or the huge amounts of strong items in the Wii version.  I just didn't like the DS version, and couldn't play it much.

Anyways, I liked the N64 battle modes, partly because of the ability for the third and fourth player to become bombs once they lose.  I loved the block fort, and the reason why I like Double Decker over, say, Luigi's mansion, is that there were more pathways to take, more ways to hide, and more ways to scheme.  Anyways, to me, Mario Kart 64's tracks all seemed characteristic of their environment, when you drove on the beach, it felt like you were driving on a beach, not a racetrack.  Double Dash lost that, and then Mario Kart DS brought it back.  The Wii version is in the middle, there, not really good or bad.

That's my two cents, at least.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
You're only gonna disappoint yourself when you realize Double Dash looks worse.  Peoples' memories are way too rosey.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »
I played Double Dash!! after I played Mario Kart Wii. It really does look better though outside of the character models the difference is negligible.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 10:11:10 PM »
Mario Raceway DD to Mario Race Wii.  There isn't much to speak of in the DD vesion.  Wii version wins.

Sorry.

Edit: More:

Night time city level DD to Night time city level Wii.  Wii version wins.

Desert Level DD to Desert Level Wii.  Wii version wins.

Daisy Cruiser to Coconut Mall (similar layouts).  Wii version wins.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:18:33 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 10:15:30 PM »
I guess it just depends on what you look for in the graphics. Double Dash!! is more colourful and less shiny and sterile-looking, so I think it looks better.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »
And the Wii models are simply the DD models with the shine added.

But as it stands, the DD tracks are EMPTY and DEPRESSING compared to Wii's.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »
And the Wii models are simply the DD models with the shine added.
That isn't true, they are smaller and have less polygons.

It doesn't really matter though, I disagree with you and that's that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:27:13 PM by Mop_it_up »

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02:34 PM »
Have you ever teamed up with another player who can spam the turbo for you..   talk about speed... omg.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 02:00:37 AM »
DD was the slowest MK to date.

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2009, 10:28:58 PM »
What is everyone's least favorite track?  I can't stand the Wii volcano one.  So ugly and choppy to drive on.

My fav is probably Wario Stadium.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
On N64 Rainbow Road when I realized they put guardrails in, I knew they were symbolic of a weaker generation of gaming that was to come. And it was so.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »
I can't stand the Wii volcano one.
I think that is a pretty neat track, I like how pieces break away every lap. I just hate it whenever somebody cheats and uses the 10-second lap glitch.

Worst track has got to be Yoshi Fails from DS/Wii. It's short, large, and hazardous, a recipe for disaster. All of the ones in Mario Kart Wii from the SNES and GBA games are flat, dull, and boring as well.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
I agree Yoshi Falls sucks, but only because it's so utterly boring.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2009, 02:52:55 PM »
Ghost Valley and Bowser Castle 3 are epic in the Wii context.