Author Topic: Speculation: Metroid being split up a-la Mario series (2D/3D)  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
So Kotaku has an interview with Miyamoto and Shinja Takahashi and as these things go the subject matter turned to Metroid, and like, seriously, what's up with the Metroid series. The answer we got was a pleasant surprise.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: [/size]So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of [/size]Metroid[/size] games. We have the [/size]Prime[/size] style of [/size]Metroid[/size] game and we have the more traditional style of [/size]Metroid[/size] game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.[/size]

[/size]
The idea of splitting development teams, with one handling just 2D Metroid games and another handling the 3D Prime series isn't new, it just has't been done since Prime 2/Zero Mission. Very much like what Nintendo is doing now with the Mario games, the idea of having teams working simultaneously on two kinds of new Metroid games is intriguing.

At least it sounds like Nintendo leaving the door open for both kinds of Metroid games for now. E3 2015 speculation started early this year.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation: Metroid being split up a-la Mario series (2D/3D)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
Or maybe they will do another hybrid game with Prime style aiming, or Prime view on the control pad, but a 2D play style.... just like the last Metroid game, only better this time*.

*I think I own that metroid game but never actually opened it.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:12:12 PM »
As long as it doesn't control as horribly as Other M, it's fine

...oh, and as long as it doesn't have a nonsensical story being force-fed on us like Other M, it's fine

..........and as long as it doesn't completely **** all over Samus like Other M, it's fine

.............. actually just as long as it isn't anything remotely like Other M at all, it's fine

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:18:23 PM »
Well, it certainly didn't take long for Other M bashing to begin.

I'd like to see Nintendo try third person 3D Metroid again. Between 2D and first person Prime, I'd go with 2D only because it's been longer since the last 2D game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
I figure this will end up being split into good Metroid and shitty Metroid.  Better than the whole series turning to **** at least.  Sakamoto seems to hate Metroid Prime.  His comments regarding Other M came across like him showing Retro how to do Metroid right (boy did they get the last laugh) so I was afraid his influence would not only continue the series in the Other M direction would squash the possibility of anyone else doing the series.  Just the fact that we're ensured SOME sort of Metroid without Sakamoto's involvement is good news.

Takahashi didn't say "2D Metroid", he said "traditional".  I would like to see a new 2D take but I'm guessing Nintendo considers Other M to be part of that series.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
The next 2D Metroid will play like Smash TV
top down 360 directional shooter.

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
As crazy as it sounds, I want a Diablo style Metroid dungeon crawler.  I'm not even sure how it would work but I know I want it. Or Metroid Dread.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
The next 2D Metroid will play like Smash TV
top down 360 directional shooter.

I'm actually ok with this

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Nintendo said basically nothing, so I'm going to assume it'll turn out terrible.

FTFY
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent